Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Booked my hotels for Osaka and Tokyo. Decided to do the sane thing and just stay in Tokyo overnight after landing HND before booking it to Osaka on the bullet.

First time doing hotels instead of AirBnBs so I hope I chose well. Tokyo stays are right by Tokyo Stn. for ease of getting to the bullet, then near Kanda Stn. for just hopping on the Yamanote. Osaka stay is close to the Dotonbori area because I've never been to Osaka and have no bearings. It's off the main strip so hopefully not too rowdy.

Now to get ready to snag Sumo tickets in April when they go on sale :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Planning a trip in May and wanted to try some kaiseki places. More specifically, I'm trying to go to a restaurant who trained a kaiseki place I really enjoy in LA. To that end, has anyone used https://omakase.in/ before? Or am I better off just calling the restaurant instead?

Noitaroballoc
Apr 16, 2005

680 in 40
My friends and I live in Japan and are looking at trying out scuba diving. None of us are certified so we'd just be doing Discover Scuba or whatever it's called.

Any dive shop recommendations around Kanto/Tohoku? We want to stay near Tokyo or somewhere accessible with a JR East Pass if need be.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 23, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Catching up a bit, I'm seeing a bunch of distaste for staying in Shinjuku. We're already booked for the Hyatt Regency, mostly because it was close enough to a Metro station connecting to HND and we could get a west facing room - maybe we see Mt. Fuji in the morning, maybe not. I can still cancel the booking and rebook elsewhere as long as they take Amex points. Should I be looking elsewhere? Our priorities are centrality, Metro station close by, and quiet, nonsmoking rooms with decent views. Yeah, I know the skyline isn't pretty, I'm in it for the sprawl.

If it helps, we have no fear of navigating Shinjuku Station - we're NYC area vets, if we can get into and out of New York Penn Station and Port Authority Bus Terminal, hopefully we can get into and out of Shinjuku.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kaiseki would be pretty dope actually, maybe I’ll look for one in Shikoku-Ehime.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

MJP posted:

If it helps, we have no fear of navigating Shinjuku Station - we're NYC area vets, if we can get into and out of New York Penn Station and Port Authority Bus Terminal, hopefully we can get into and out of Shinjuku.

Just be ready to surface on the wrong corner of the station and have to power walk around the station to where you meant to be. Shinjuku was built using non Euclidian geometries.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

MJP posted:

Catching up a bit, I'm seeing a bunch of distaste for staying in Shinjuku. We're already booked for the Hyatt Regency, mostly because it was close enough to a Metro station connecting to HND and we could get a west facing room - maybe we see Mt. Fuji in the morning, maybe not. I can still cancel the booking and rebook elsewhere as long as they take Amex points. Should I be looking elsewhere? Our priorities are centrality, Metro station close by, and quiet, nonsmoking rooms with decent views. Yeah, I know the skyline isn't pretty, I'm in it for the sprawl.

Shinjuku is perfectly fine but shitloads of people. If you are from NYC you will be fine and if you aren't in a hurry you won't struggle because you got out at the wrong exit of Shinjuku station.

If you want to have easy access to Haneda another option is Shiodome. It has some fancy hotels and is near some fun areas, but right on the monorail to Haneda and everything there is new and fancy-ish. It's also right next to Ginza.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about seeing Mt. Fuji in the morning. It has to be a very clear day to see it from Tokyo.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

MJP posted:

I stayed in that area for a week last year and I found it to be very boring. That whole area where the Hyatt Regency is are just corporate office buildings so there's not much to do in the evening, Shinjuku station is kind of close by but I personally would not want to stay in that area again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Busy Bee posted:

I stayed in that area for a week last year and I found it to be very boring. That whole area where the Hyatt Regency is are just corporate office buildings so there's not much to do in the evening, Shinjuku station is kind of close by but I personally would not want to stay in that area again.

Yup. As a spot to get around from it's fine, despite the uh, fun of trying to navigate Shinjuku Station. But it's an expensive spot and there really isn't much in the immediate area. Couple of yokochos, you can go to Kabukicho and get roofied. Other than that it's office buildings.

There's a lot more stuff to do even just one Yamanote stop away in either direction.

Staying there isn't bad, you're going to be traveling around from anywhere you go. It wouldn't be high on my list though.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Me and my partner are going to Japan from Jan 31st-Feb 12th and are looking for suggestions!

She has a friend currently living in Tokyo (non-Japanese speaking) who we can stay with, I think in Shibuya, who will help us navigate. Broadly, we are thinking of spending the first bit in Tokyo, traveling to Hokkaido for the snow festival, day trips to Hakone and Kamakura, and at least a few days in Kyoto. Her friend's cousin also lives in a fishing village on the coast somewhere I guess so we might visit them?

I don't have a ton of travel experience in general, would normally avoid the more touristy places but I understand that may be difficult without speaking Japanese. We aren't on a super tight budget or anything like that.

Things we would like in no particular order:

- bicycling around town
- hiking around parks and gardens and forests
- film camera stores
- sake, beer
- food (sushi, sashimi, ramen, udon, yakitori, Okonomiyaki)
- shopping for weird japanese things to bring home
- a kendo class?
- trains
- staying in a ryokan
- hot springs
- talking to friendly locals (i did this via couchsurfing in Italy before and it was a lot of fun)
- the whole tiny alley bar/restaurant experience, ideally one not just flooded with tourists (Nomiya Yokocho?)
- nautical things
- cats

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions while I read through this thread more!

Our trip is coming together a little more - here's what it looks like so far, trimmed down some of the travel:

- Arrive in Tokyo 5pm day 1, stay up for dinner and drinks until at least 9pm to try to get a full night sleep and wake up at a semi-normal morning time the next day... this worked for me when I went to Italy, at least.
- Days 2-5 in Tokyo to unwind and shop and explore and eat everything, see teamlab, etc. Our friend we are staying with is indeed in Shibuya (Nishihara) so it should be easy to get around from there it seems. Options for day trips to Hakone/Kamakura/Enoshima etc as we feel like it.
- Days 6-7, take early trains about 5 hours to get to a small fishing town outside of Maizuru where our friend's cousin lives. Staying in a beach house, her cousin has a car, we can explore rural/seaside Japan a bit.
- Days 8-10, 2 hour train ride to Kyoto
- Days 11-13, train back to Tokyo, where we can do further day trips.
- Day 14, some antiques fair in the AM and fly out early afternoon from Haneda.

For Kyoto, since we will be coming from the NW, we were thinking we could just stop at Arashiyama on the way into Kyoto, see everything there, and stay one night in that area, then get a different spot for the rest of our time in Kyoto (Gion seems the most popular area to stay in?). We can rent bikes to get around too. Any favorite things to see and do in Kyoto? Apart from Arashiyama, we want to bike around town, climb Mt Daimonji, visit the sake district, wander around temples/shrines, etc. Just overwhelmed with all the options right now!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Staying there isn't bad, you're going to be traveling around from anywhere you go. It wouldn't be high on my list though.

We aren't exactly nightlife types - a drink or two in a bar or izakaya would be lovely once or twice but the most nighttime excitement is probably me going out late to try night photography and eating taxi fare back.

Other than Shiodome, are there any other areas I should think about? As long as the views are nice and the rooms decently sized and non-smoking, I'll be a happy camper.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Stay up until 5, take photos of the night crew going home

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MJP posted:

We aren't exactly nightlife types - a drink or two in a bar or izakaya would be lovely once or twice but the most nighttime excitement is probably me going out late to try night photography and eating taxi fare back.

Adding in a vote for “Shinjuku is Fine,” especially given your criteria. You will exit Shinjuku Station at the wrong spot at least once, but wander back around and it’s fine. That hotel is right next to the Tokyo Metro building, which has 40+ floor viewing decks open late. There’s plenty of shopping, restaurants etc all around the station, plus tons of neon.

Even now sunset is about 17:00, so taking late-night photos won’t always require taxi fares for return - the Yamanote line runs past midnight. Coming home on last train is a rite of passage :toot:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JR Tamachi station is local favorite for access, restaurants, and affordability.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna stick to Shinjuku - seems like bookings are tightening up anyway. I'm super hype for the fact that we planned the trip timing months ago with the hope of cherry blossoms, and now the forecast says they're gonna start coming out right on day 1 and get to full bloom right before we leave.

Dumb question - how prevalent are flashing lights and effects and stuff at small rock venues? It'd be fun to catch an indie show or something but my wife has some medical issues where bright flashes out of nowhere are a bad thing. Not epilepsy but similar triggers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m doubly excited, first to be heading back to Japan, and now reading that Kanda is apparently “Currytown USA

Completely aside, any recommendations for clubs playing House/Trance/DnB? Tokyo or Osaka welcome, I’ll be hitting both. Just want to check out something local :)

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

MJP posted:

Dumb question - how prevalent are flashing lights and effects and stuff at small rock venues? It'd be fun to catch an indie show or something but my wife has some medical issues where bright flashes out of nowhere are a bad thing. Not epilepsy but similar triggers.
If it's in a club-like setting and the band is high-energy it might be a problem. If it's more cafe-like and chill, probably nothing to worry about.

some kinda jackal posted:

I’m doubly excited, first to be heading back to Japan, and now reading that Kanda is apparently “Currytown USA

Completely aside, any recommendations for clubs playing House/Trance/DnB? Tokyo or Osaka welcome, I’ll be hitting both. Just want to check out something local :)
Shibuya is probably a good place for that since there are lots of venues, but a lot of them will play a variety of stuff so it depends on your own schedule lining up with theirs.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I purchased our JR passes through https://japanrailpass.net/en/. It provided an email with reservation numbers and it says I can use this to pick up the passes at the airport or a Japan Rail office. From reviewing websites about the process, it says I should be getting an exchange voucher, but there is no indication from the site that I will get one of those, nor did they ask for my address. Am I overthinking the process?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

gonna jump on the bandwagon (lol) for asking about venues etc - id like to catch some punk/hardcore/grind/metal etc while im there, are there any good sites/social media pages for finding out about shows? i follow a couple of clubs in osaka i saw bands at last time i was there but thats about it. Probably a long shot but i'd appreciate it if anyone has ideas.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

I purchased our JR passes through https://japanrailpass.net/en/. It provided an email with reservation numbers and it says I can use this to pick up the passes at the airport or a Japan Rail office. From reviewing websites about the process, it says I should be getting an exchange voucher, but there is no indication from the site that I will get one of those, nor did they ask for my address. Am I overthinking the process?

If you buy it from their official website you no longer need an exchange order. You go to one of the designated offices and show your passport.

You will only get an exchange order if you buy from an authorized third party seller but this method is cheaper. You can now buy JR passes in Japan directly from JR but you pay a premium to do so. When you order from the official website you are basically pre-ordering the purchase of an in Japan JR pass at the premium rate.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Im going to be going to in the Kyushu area in the middle of February and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a stay at a hotel with a private onsen, preferably in the Kagoshima area?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Angry Asian posted:

Im going to be going to in the Kyushu area in the middle of February and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a stay at a hotel with a private onsen, preferably in the Kagoshima area?

Sakurajima is quite good.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zettace posted:

If you buy it from their official website you no longer need an exchange order. You go to one of the designated offices and show your passport.

You will only get an exchange order if you buy from an authorized third party seller but this method is cheaper. You can now buy JR passes in Japan directly from JR but you pay a premium to do so. When you order from the official website you are basically pre-ordering the purchase of an in Japan JR pass at the premium rate.

That’s extremely helpful, thank you for the answer!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On JR pass: I saw it got more expensive in CAD relative to last time I went so I was considering maybe NOT getting it, but there is still a non-zero value-prop for my trip if I think of how I’ve structured it so far:

- Land in HND on May 6, stay overnight in Tokyo to acclimate/de-jetlag slightly
- Cash in a 7-day JR Pass and take Shinkansen to Osaka on May 7
- Toot around Osaka and side trips using JR pass until,
- Shinkansen back to Tokyo May 13

By my math that’s taking the bullet on day 1 and day 7 of the validity of a 7 day ticket, assuming I activate it on the 7th. Doing the math I probably make out a little ahead if I factor in a side trip to Kyoto and Nara (I think I remember the most direct/fastest train not being JR eligible which is fine), and wander around Osaka in general, but it doesn’t give me much opportunity to change the trip up on the fly if I’d choose; I basically have to leave Osaka on the 13th or risk the entire thing not making financial sense vs single trip tickets.

All my accommodations are fully refundable/re-bookable until day before so I have the leeway of changing things up, but unless I really fall in love with Osaka I honestly doubt that’s much of a risk. I’ve kind of talked myself into probably getting it again while the Canadian dollar is more or less on-par with JPY (at least compared to when I last went).

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 25, 2023

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

MJP posted:

I'm gonna stick to Shinjuku - seems like bookings are tightening up anyway. I'm super hype for the fact that we planned the trip timing months ago with the hope of cherry blossoms, and now the forecast says they're gonna start coming out right on day 1 and get to full bloom right before we leave.

Shinjuku is really bad for flashing lights. It is a place of overstimulation. If your wife has any sort of medical issues related to crowds, lights, noises, or smoke, it is probably not the best place to be.

Also, indie shows as a cheap event are not really a thing. You might be able to find a place that caters to foreigners that has a band playing, but something that caters to Japanese is going to be semi-expensive and for their insane fans. Personally, I do not enjoy seeing live music in Japan. It is very robotic.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Yup. As a spot to get around from it's fine, despite the uh, fun of trying to navigate Shinjuku Station. But it's an expensive spot and there really isn't much in the immediate area. Couple of yokochos, you can go to Kabukicho and get roofied. Other than that it's office buildings.

kabukicho is on the opposite side of the station from the hyatt so i guess you mean all of shinjuku?

there's nothing special about staying in shinjuku other than it being pretty convenient, but saying it's expensive and that there isn't much there is just ignorant.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
There’s shin Okubo north of kabukicho, giant Korean town, there’s the restaurant genkai, which servers amazing mizutaki soup that you can’t really get overseas.

Kabukicho is getting gentrified now and there’s a good unagi place called unatetsu. Oh and there’s the original tsunahachi and if you want hk style tomatoes there’s TJSG.

Lots of shopping in shinjuku as well like Oshman’s for good backpacks and bags of all kinds, there’s the takashimaya department paired with a giant tokyu hands which sells a whole bunch of neat household goods as well.

There’s also some neat parks around shinjuku, lots to see, and eat. You can also head west to the metropolitan building and eat mouyan curry. It’s one of the bigger and richer districts of Tokyo and japan, there’s bound to be something for everyone.

But I won’t stay in Shinjuku because of my own silly preferences

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Japan trip is still on with a bunch of changes. It is now all Shikoku, seems to be centered around hiking (e.g. round trip around Shodoshima and temples) plus all the recs in the area so far. I gave up and let my dad plan the rest of it, my experience is that I have no talent at planning trips and that’s not how I vacation anyway so this is now his trip no matter how much he complains about that. Yer call dude

I will have to come back again after that visit someday but not with family.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh also BIG BIG BIG PROTIP!! If you try to visit late March/early April, contract a local guide service no later than the preceding October to set up accommodations and poo poo. Too many people try to visit at that time and everything gets booked. Dad’s Kumano Kodo thing was completely swamped and there are no accommodations for us, it’s all taken.

It was actually pretty stupid, dad secured his vacation dates, then the plane tickets, and then we tried to get accommodations for Kumano. No wonder we missed out. Oh well, I’ll be happy as long as you feed me and dad doesn’t throw a tantrum.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Ned posted:

Personally, I do not enjoy seeing live music in Japan. It is very robotic.
I used to think that special dances for the fans was just something at idol concerts, but seeing it happen at a rock gig in a small venue in Shinjuku a while back where everyone else knew exactly what to do and when was pretty weird.

I’d like to see more live music next time I’m in Japan, but I do think I prefer seeing Japanese bands when they tour abroad.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
After a lot of back and forth between my wife's schedule and mine, we finally landed on the only two-week stretch of time we can both take off to visit Japan for the second time: the first two full weeks of December.

We plan to visit Tokyo, Osaka, Nara, Kyoto.

I've done a bit of digging, and other than not being able to enjoy as much of the Fall leaves and it generally being on the chillier side, are there any major things I should be watching out for during this stretch?

Again, weather-wise things seem dry, but a bit cold. I don't think I saw any major holiday closures since it's well before New Years, and I think generally crowds are a bit lighter most places since the Fall leaves will already be past their peak.

Anything else y'all think I should know? Obviously too early to start booking flights or hotels, but I wanted to know if I should brace myself for any major BS since I can't really go any other time.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Weather wise December is a nice time to go. The downside of December is the daylight hours are short. It will literally get dark at around 4pm in Tokyo but if that doesn't bother you then it's a non-issue.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Get an open jaw ticket fly in Tokyo and fly out Osaka. Get a train pass so you can go further out to Hiroshima (it’s the same time consumed going back to Tokyo), stay in a nice ryokan further out west, and day trip to himeji.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Japan trip is still on with a bunch of changes. It is now all Shikoku, seems to be centered around hiking (e.g. round trip around Shodoshima and temples) plus all the recs in the area so far.

Mt Ishizuchi is the highest mountain in Western Japan, and there are some other chill and less intense mountains too.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Zettace posted:

Weather wise December is a nice time to go. The downside of December is the daylight hours are short. It will literally get dark at around 4pm in Tokyo but if that doesn't bother you then it's a non-issue.

Yeah, last time I went in October, I was really surprised at how few daylight hours there were. Guides never mentioned that.

I’ve read lots of places put lights up in December, so more chances to see those. And temples and shrines are cool af at night too.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Just casually asking, anyone know of a place in Tokyo to buy a jinbei? Nothing fancy. I'm sure they're sold pretty commonly, just wondering if anyone already has a place in mind.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, last time I went in October, I was really surprised at how few daylight hours there were. Guides never mentioned that.

I’ve read lots of places put lights up in December, so more chances to see those. And temples and shrines are cool af at night too.

Even in June, it’s pretty thin on daylight hours. The Japanese really take Land of the Rising Sun seriously, apparently, with sunrise at like 4:30am but sunset at 7pm even in late June. Shift your time zone, jeez. Fukuoka must have been in charge of setting clocks in Japan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Yep, the Christmas/holiday stuff starts from early November, so should be in full swing early December. Based on recent years it’s a real dice roll if it’s going to be like 14 degrees C or freezing, this year I got good kōyo photos at Ueno Park on the last weekend of November. Climate change.

And yeah, the time zone is off by at least one hour. I’ve banged that drum before - move it one hour east and the sun would rise later and stay up later, which would be nice. Sunrise at 4:15 in June ain’t helping anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Just casually asking, anyone know of a place in Tokyo to buy a jinbei? Nothing fancy. I'm sure they're sold pretty commonly, just wondering if anyone already has a place in mind.

It’s kinda seasonal I think. Donki will have basic ones towards the summer months for sure.