Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gavok posted:

I want to see a boardroom meeting where somebody explains to Disney bigwigs what obscure Marvel properties they could potentially turn into TV shows and movies while being able to sidestep the Universal contract.

"So Randall Park's character from the second Ant-Man movie and WandaVision hangs out with a talking gorilla, a 1950s robot and a siren who thinks she's the goddess Venus..."

They should do a Miles Morales ride. He didn’t even exist in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Silly Burrito posted:

They should do a Miles Morales ride. He didn’t even exist in the 90s.

Yeah, but he's still roped in with the Spider-Man characters. I'd be interested in seeing a list of characters who sidestep the Universal deal. Like, the Inhumans appear in a big mural at Superhero Island, so if their show hadn't poo poo the bed and they somehow became a viable franchise, would they be off-limits to Disney in Orlando?

I referenced the Agents of Atlas, but they originally came from a comic called What If the Avengers Had Formed in the 1950's?, so would that technically put them under the Avengers umbrella?

It can't be overstated how much Disney lucked out with Guardians of the Galaxy being such a big deal. Nobody cared about the original version of the team and the beloved version of the team came to exist long after the Universal deal happened.

The answer here is that Marvel needs to go back to using Gravity in their stories so he can get his own movie and then get a ride at Disney World. Really, they never should have stopped using Gravity. He was fun. I miss him.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Keep Marvel poo poo out of Disney Parks as much as possible, thanks.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I disagree. They need to do a ride based around the Sentry and then insist that it's been there since opening day.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gavok posted:

Yeah, but he's still roped in with the Spider-Man characters. I'd be interested in seeing a list of characters who sidestep the Universal deal. Like, the Inhumans appear in a big mural at Superhero Island, so if their show hadn't poo poo the bed and they somehow became a viable franchise, would they be off-limits to Disney in Orlando?

There’s some rules about what is considered a character in use by Universal - according to A Lawyer On The Internet, Universal has exclusive rights to use characters considered part of the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man franchises in Orlando.

The contract states that characters used only as “incidental elements of an attraction” (examples given are if they’re just part of the theming of a restaurant or gift shop) don’t count as in use, so it’d be up to Disney and Universal’s lawyers as to whether or not a mural is an attraction. Presumably if Disney really wanted to use the Inhumans they’d fork over a pile of money or offer some other settlement to Universal, who would immediately tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Disney also can’t use the word “Marvel” period in the parks or their promotion which is why all the shows and meet and greets have stupid names.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 21, 2023

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Coasterphreak posted:

Yup. Specifically, Universal knows they gotta at least redo Toon Lagoon at some point after EU opens. I've heard both Zelda and LotR.

I'd be hard pressed to pick between the Zelda and LotR but having it be more connected to Epic Universe makes more sense, although Toon Lagoon is really weird seeing it there and no one even knows any of the properties. Popeye walks around telling you to watch him on YouTube, and that makes me really sad.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Luigi Thirty posted:

There’s some rules about what is considered a character in use by Universal - according to A Lawyer On The Internet, Universal has exclusive rights to use characters considered part of the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man franchises in Orlando.

The contract states that characters used only as “incidental elements of an attraction” (examples given are if they’re just part of the theming of a restaurant or gift shop) don’t count as in use, so it’d be up to Disney and Universal’s lawyers as to whether or not a mural is an attraction. Presumably if Disney really wanted to use the Inhumans they’d fork over a pile of money or offer some other settlement to Universal, who would immediately tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Disney also can’t use the word “Marvel” period in the parks or their promotion which is why all the shows and meet and greets have stupid names.

This checks out with my knowledge.

Diabetic posted:

I'd be hard pressed to pick between the Zelda and LotR but having it be more connected to Epic Universe makes more sense, although Toon Lagoon is really weird seeing it there and no one even knows any of the properties. Popeye walks around telling you to watch him on YouTube, and that makes me really sad.

I was joking about LotR, JKR won't let Universal put that in a park with her boy wizard.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Gavok posted:

I'm sure that, like other said, Miles counts as "spider-man character" and is off limits, which is a shame because how much fun would it have been for Disney to make a Spider-Verse ride then explain in court why Peter B. Parker is distinct from Peter Parker.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I've long held the thought that the Toon Lagoon Ampitheater should be leveled and they should build a modern spooky dark ride themed to Scooby Doo. They have the character rights but only use it for meet and greets, and Six Flags/Ceder Fair parks that had Scooby rides have since rethemed them

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/blog_mickey/status/1617162809887920129?s=46&t=XN_KC85bXGLuPAVMjk28DQ

Bless up for the CMs working MK today.

Still mad it broke down when I went and I didn't get one last time.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
who could pass up a chance to ride this ride in the worst condition it'll ever be

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
seriously. Splash mountain is my favorite ride of all time, but when I went on it in 2021 it was just.....sad. I fully expect the new ride to be nothing but screens also. sad.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Disney isn't Universal.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah bit the last three rides disney has made have more screens than any universal ride in the same time

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm predicting those awful projection face animatronics, screens as set enhancement, and a lazy retelling of the events of the film rather than doing something fun and fresh with the IP. Think Frozen ride for all three. I hope they prove me wrong.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The rumours floating around suggest it's going to be a whole new story continuing the one from the film, but the lazy option is always an option.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Arquinsiel posted:

The rumours floating around suggest it's going to be a whole new story continuing the one from the film, but the lazy option is always an option.

They say the same thing about Nemo at Epcot, Frozen at Epcot, and probably a few others. They just conveniently see the same places and sing the same songs as before! Then again there are plenty of recent examples of them not doing this, so it could go either way. I suppose basing an attraction off of a musical film limits where you can go with it - you gotta get those songs in there somehow.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All the business reasons for the replacement of Splash make perfect sense, and I suspect a lot more of the old scenes are going to be kept than you may think. Part of choosing P&TF among all the movies means that whole riverboat rig after the drop can just stay where it is.

The only thing I'll miss is the catchy score. The parks have had different identities at day and night since DL in the 60s, and Z-A-D-D-D is practically an anthem of pre-6PM Disney at this point.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm predicting those awful projection face animatronics, screens as set enhancement, and a lazy retelling of the events of the film rather than doing something fun and fresh with the IP. Think Frozen ride for all three. I hope they prove me wrong.

Both Tokyo's BatB and Hong Kong's version of Frozen Ever After lack the projection faces. It feels possible we're past that phase.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The projection faces are horrifying. The only one that works for me is Buzz Lightyear, probably because you expect him to have a weird doughface look and you’re surrounded by bright colors and black lights.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They say the same thing about Nemo at Epcot, Frozen at Epcot, and probably a few others. They just conveniently see the same places and sing the same songs as before! Then again there are plenty of recent examples of them not doing this, so it could go either way. I suppose basing an attraction off of a musical film limits where you can go with it - you gotta get those songs in there somehow.
Nemo at Epcot is as much as anyone was going to be able to do with it. It's not even the same story, and the point of it was using the aquarium tanks as backdrop for a show, which only existed in case the tank was boring at the second you happened to pass through.

Luigi Thirty posted:

The projection faces are horrifying. The only one that works for me is Buzz Lightyear, probably because you expect him to have a weird doughface look and you’re surrounded by bright colors and black lights.
I think they work in Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway because only the eyes are the projection, and it lets them do a bit more with expression. It's still a little weird though. Seven Dwarf's Minetrain is a bit odd, but you shoot past everything too fast for it to matter. Frozen Ever After was a mistake.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Projection faces don't bother me all too much and I thought they were a pretty novel solution for psuedo animatronics at the time.
:shrug:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I want to be surprised that someone is selling water from Splash Mountain's last day, but sadly I'm not

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1755836243...emis&media=COPY

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Goddamit why the gently caress didn't I think of that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jose Oquendo posted:

Goddamit why the gently caress didn't I think of that.
Head over to your nearest tap and shove a jar under it. Nobody who buys it will be able to tell the difference.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4023519960...%3ABFBM0I6o_rth

holy poo poo. I'm going to retire.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

drat I have bottles of Splash water twice that size. They're just cute little decorations around the house but maybe I can unload them to weird idiots on eBay.

Also do they think Disney is going to, like... change the brominated water formula in the new ride just for fun?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Disney nerds will buy anything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Coasterphreak posted:

Disney nerds will buy anything.
It's this. You don't need a scam to be good if you can get enough volume, and for the cost of one jar from your recycling bin and a few seconds at the tap your return is limited only by the gullibility of the market.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

You don't need a scam to be good if you can get enough volume … your return is limited only by the gullibility of the market.

Foundational assumptions of spammers everywhere.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Coasterphreak posted:

Racist Disney nerds will buy anything. to own the libs

About right.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don't necessarily think that's the motivation behind buying dumb Splash Mountain poo poo like that.

If the gift shop by the ride had any decent merchandise for it (which neither one has had since they announced the re-theme) I'd have picked up something.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Hazo posted:

drat I have bottles of Splash water twice that size.
i am not going to let this go by without an explanation

where and why are you gathering this log water

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't necessarily think that's the motivation behind buying dumb Splash Mountain poo poo like that.

If the gift shop by the ride had any decent merchandise for it (which neither one has had since they announced the re-theme) I'd have picked up something.

Ah yeah, you're right. I forgot how many die hard Song of the South fans (or as they like to be known as, the SS fans) there are floating around out there that are losing a defining piece of their formation as an adult. My mistake.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Ah yeah, you're right. I forgot how many die hard Song of the South fans (or as they like to be known as, the SS fans) there are floating around out there that are losing a defining piece of their formation as an adult. My mistake.

A lot of folks have fond memories of a theme park ride that they rode probably for decades and either did with their grandparents/parents and probably now have with their kids. The themeing is problematic. That doesn't change people's memories of being small on Dad's shoulders and waiting to get on the ride with the big, scary drop.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sivart13 posted:

i am not going to let this go by without an explanation

where and why are you gathering this log water

quote:

They're just cute little decorations around the house

Also the Disney water smell, but it fades after a while. Just get the candles/oils/whatever if you really need it.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine how woke you have to be to think anyone who ever rode a road at a theme park is a racist lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s not woke, that’s broke.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

couldcareless posted:

What the gently caress kind of reply is that. Go touch some grass.

The movie has been pretty effectively memory holed by Disney. The vast majority of people who have been on that ride and like it have never seen the movie and are almost certainly not aware of the problematic movie the ride is based on. To say that people who will really miss the ride are Nazis is loving insane.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jose Oquendo posted:

What the gently caress kind of reply is that. Go splash some water.