Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, I would be entirely unsurprised if they remember the burner's Danish citizenship in like June, then do an “EU bad” somehow, and sort it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, I would be entirely unsurprised if they remember the burner's Danish citizenship in like June, then do an “EU bad” somehow, and sort it out.

Sweden still hasn't delivered on their deal with regards to the Kurds (and realistically can't) which appears to be non-negotiable for Erdogan.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sweden-should-not-expect-turkeys-support-nato-membership-after-stockholm-protest-2023-01-23/

In other war-related news; Erdogan is again milking for domestic political points for his upcoming election, playing the old classics like "Sweden (and by proxy Finland) is no longer welcome to NATO".

Well, on the plus (?) side, Erdogan just moved up the next election by one month, so I guess that also moves up by one month the eventual decision, although whether it's before the election who knows, as I have no idea how expanding NATO would play with the Turkish electorate. Or how much the electorate really matters, since Erdogan is a whisker away from going full dictator.

Also their presence/absence in NATO is operationally irrelevant to the Ukraine War, unless Putin happens to go full Operation Barbarossa and invade Finland in the meanwhile.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TheRat posted:

Sweden still hasn't delivered on their deal with regards to the Kurds (and realistically can't) which appears to be non-negotiable for Erdogan.

It's 100% posturing, he knows that Sweden can't deliver. Meanwhile Sweden has already lifted the arms exports embargo, so he's already gotten something out of it.

He's gonna milk this for as long as he can for his domestic and international benefit and then he'll agree.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

Similarly to other autocrats, he made up a ridiculous stance for non-reasons, and now feels compelled to hold it. Since not upholding it would make him look weak, due to the specific manner he painted himself into that corner with, until elections you should not expect a major change in his behaviour. After the election, however, it's going to be years until someone can attempt to challenge him meaningfully. I would argue that then his choice then will be closer to something like between “don't get anything” and “get whatever US and Sweden is offering, and a reputation boost”. Admittedly, though, I am assuming that he's not even a remotely principled person, both religiously and otherwise.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

But since he is an autocrat I wouldn't expect him to change his stance post election either. Going back on a do-or-die matter relating to the Kurds would be extremely humiliating for him as a strongman.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

But since he is an autocrat I wouldn't expect him to change his stance post election either. Going back on a do-or-die matter relating to the Kurds would be extremely humiliating for him as a strongman.

We can still hope he loses the election and gets replaced. Would be a funny end to this farce, New Guy going "oh yeah, sure" on the issue :v:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I have a feeling that that election is going to be pretty wild, IIRC Erdogan hasn't been doing too hot in the polls, he's an authoritarian and an aspiring dictator, but he's not really quite there yet.

Libluini posted:

We can still hope he loses the election and gets replaced. Would be a funny end to this farce, New Guy going "oh yeah, sure" on the issue :v:

It still bears mentioning that the whole image of "super anti-Kurd" or whatever of Erdogan and his party is not a very old one, and actually appealing to conservative voters in Turkey's south east, including many Kurds, who were also explicitly courted with electoral promises (that were at the time carried through) of lessening restrictions on using the Kurdish language in media and culture, was a big part of how the AKP built its early power base and got into power.

It's not a given that the Kemalists/Republicans or whoever would replace him would have a softer stance on this issue.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 23, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Turkey had some crazy hyper inflation, IIRC,(like three digits, IIRC?) so in a Democracy would would expect Erdogan to be in trouble..

TheRat posted:

There may be some conditions involving F-16s which he may find compelling.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Turkey had some crazy hyper inflation, IIRC,(like three digits, IIRC?) so in a Democracy would would expect Erdogan to be in trouble..

There may be some conditions involving F-16s which he may find compelling.

For people who aren't aware of the F-16 thing OddObserver mentioned, it's this:

https://www.defensenews.com/global/2023/01/18/turkey-f-16-sale-in-limbo-amid-lockheed-backlog/

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1617590757023690752?t=6IKmjulmyoFuQsqokAhz2A&s=19

Looking forward to the explanation for why what the headline is saying isn't actually what's happening.
That last tweet is the most important one: the foreign minister and the vice chancellor have now both said that deliveries of Leopard 2 tanks by other countries will not be blocked.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

DTurtle posted:

That last tweet is the most important one: the foreign minister and the vice chancellor have now both said that deliveries of Leopard 2 tanks by other countries will not be blocked.

No.

Habeck said *should* not stand in the way. Baerbock went further when she said Germany *would* not stand in the way. It seems like she got a talking to in the meantime since, when asked the next day whether she was speaking for the government, she dodged the question. See https://twitter.com/ulrichspeck/status/1617524273043886089

It's still up to Scholz and Scholz... does not seem to be in much of a hurry.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Zelensky commemorated Lithuania, Poland and Ukraine with anniversary of 1863 rebellion against Russian Empire
https://twitter.com/nashaniva/status/1617634527706320896?t=_bCCYoj-DsP8gWKfmN9FZA&s=19

Seemingly intentionally omitting Belarus. Feels kind of petty to omit those who fallen (and everone together failed) 160 years ago due to Luka's regime now. Not to mention its very important to remind still politically uninvolved Belarusians about every rebellion their forefathers done.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
In some less tank and more people-oriented news:

According to a Russian NGO, the number of ex-prisoners fighting on the Russian side is shrinking. There's still around 10k left, but too many have either died, been captured, or deserted.

Seems like Russia's prisons are slowly running dry.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Russia frankly doesn't have the demographics for the human wave tactics they've been doing.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Morrow posted:

Russia frankly doesn't have the demographics for the human wave tactics they've been doing.

They were a dead man walking since the fall of the Soviet Union, a decent theory is Putin knew the longer he waited the less men he'd have to try this stunt, which is why he pulled the trigger despite the risks that would have been obvious even to him.

They have enough men to do this war right now, thankfully they're so corrupt/incompetent/badly equipped that they're still losing. But yes, this war is massively accelerating the ticking clock on the end of the current Russian state. I imagine there will still be a Russia 10 years from now, but it will sure look different.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Morrow posted:

Sure thing ..... just wait the next weeks/months when the newly trained 200k/300k russian troops will be deployed in ukraine.
At that point, the comedian zelensky what will ask in despair to his masters here in the west? some nukes to launch towards moscow?

the Circus of Madness keeps goin' on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Knightsoul fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 23, 2023

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Knightsoul posted:

Sure thing ..... just wait the next weeks/months when the newly trained 200k/300k russian troops will be deployed in ukraine.
At that point, the comedian zelensky what will ask in despair to his masters here in the west? some nukes to launch towards moscow?

That drug addict Nazi is going to stuff his Pockets and rum off to the west......,

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Knightsoul posted:

What the gently caress is this lol

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Knightsoul posted:

Do you really think that Zelensky is entirely a servant of the west? Do the people of Ukraine have no say over their country being invaded? I don't give a drat if Ukraine's entry into NATO was a no-no for Russia as you claim, they're still the ones who invaded. I can warn you not to do something legal I don't like, but when I strike you after you do it, I am the one who has committed a crime.

After looking through some of your recent posts, I've come to the assumption you're an excellent troll, or a very narrowminded Italian who bemoans the loss of pleasant relations with Russians, who love to visit your country and call it 'Paese del Sole' while at the same time describes Ukraine as 'a distant eastern land from us and that no italian cares about'.

Ukraine is literally closer to Italy, perhaps a lesson in where countries are in relation to Italy is needed? Or maybe find somewhere else to regurgitate your talking points?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

But doctor, I am the great comedian Zelensky!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Knightsoul posted:

Don't sign your posts

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Knightsoul posted:

how's living in alternate reality where this war isn't a total failure for russia?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Knightsoul posted:

I don't enjoy dogpiling but I wanna let you in on a really big open secret that presents a problem for this narrative.

Ukraine is also training replacement troops too. And on the new hardware that hasn't even entered the field yet. Infact, the big victories in the north before winter was done by it's first series of new recruits.. :ssh:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
How is it this thread all of a sudden go so popular with the chuds?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Morrow posted:

The raw population numbers indicate that both sides do in fact "have the demographics" to fuel this war for years to come. Russia actually has an advantage over Ukraine in this regard, being a sprawling country with relatively vast numbers of people.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Vox Nihili posted:

The raw population numbers indicate that both sides do in fact "have the demographics" to fuel this war for years to come. Russia actually has an advantage over Ukraine in this regard, being a sprawling country with relatively vast numbers of people.

Yeah the real advantage is that Russia can still maintain shell and bullet factories without fear of losing them suddenly to bombing, whatever gets sent to Kyiv can't reach Novgorod

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ZombieLenin posted:

Wouldn't that be Occidentalist, since it readies the West as any entity beholden to exploitation demanded by arms manufacturers?

Also neither Russia or the Ukraine, to my knowledge, has ever been codified as part of the Other in the same sense that the colonized "Orient" has been.

Eastern Europe has absolutely experienced orientalism. Sure not to the same degree as any given part of Asia, but it absolutely has. I almost think Putin was partway counting on Ukraine still seeming like an exotic backward land of Borat clones to westerners, hoping they would shrug in that sort of "oh what can you do, those ancient tribal hatreds of those Slavic commie serfs"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
US Senior Military Official (SMO) brief. Intro/Excerpts, etc. Not a lot here today.
Link: https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3275361/senior-military-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

Highlights:
-Ukraine attempting counteroffensive in Kreminna, Russia still on offense vicinity of Bakhmut. Otherwise, lines are largely static.
-Takes a moment to highlight ally/partner contributions to Ukraine, as covered in the previous Contact Group announcements.
-US observing "tens of thousands" of Russian replacement troops across the front lines. Not very well-trained or equipped, but thousands of fresh troops. Not necessarily as whole standalone formations, but tens of thousands across the front lines, replacing other units or filling personnel gaps in existing formations.
-SMO not going to comment on estimates of Ukrainian casualties that have been in press lately, or the Norwegian estimates of Russian casualties beyond what the CJCS said last week. (That was significantly well over 100,000 casualties for Russia and a high number of casualties for Ukraine.)
-Russia continues to seek more drone capability from Iran
-I cut it for length below, but SMO was asked about sending one Abrams tank to "unlock" other tank shipments, and did not want to comment on it. Among other reasons, the proposal was from a congress member, and the DOD typically doesn't opine on congress members' recommendations if there isn't a very concrete or direct answer to give.
-Bradleys are weeks not months away, but US will let Ukraine announce their arrival in country on Ukraine's timeline.
-DOD still argues that M1 Abrams is too logistically intensive to be rapidly useful to Ukraine. Also says that M1s are part of the US requirements to meet US global national security requirements.

quote:

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Hey, well, thanks very much for joining us today for this background update on Ukraine.

I'm (inaudible). I will be your briefer today. For attribution, please refer to me as "a senior military official." I'll provide you with a brief overview of what we're seeing on the ground in Ukraine. I'll discuss last week's Ukraine Defense Contact Group briefly, and then we'll open it up to your questions.

So the situation along the front lines in Ukraine continues to remain largely static, with the exceptions being Ukraine's counteroffensive operations efforts near Kreminna, and Russia's continued efforts to try to take territory near Bakhmut. In both areas, the situation remains fluid with a lot of back-and-forth. It is important to note, however, that Ukrainian forces continue to successfully hold and defend Bakhmut.

Separate, but related, Secretary Austin and General Milley hosted the eighth Ukraine Defense Contact Group at Ramstein Air Base in Germany on Friday, which featured very productive discussions among senior defense leaders from nearly 50 different allied and partner nations. Notably, the contributions announced by several cover -- countries stemming from last week's meeting represent the largest tally of donations since the inception of the Contact Group last April, a tangible demonstration of the continued unity and resolve among the U.S. and international community to support Ukraine's defense from Russian aggression.

In addition to the large security assistance package announced last week by the Department of Defense with significant additional air defense and armor capabilities for Ukraine, multiple nations announced similar significant support, to include Germany and Netherlands' contributions of Patriot missile air defense capabilities, Canada's procurement of a NASAM system, U.K. -- U.K.'s -- the United Kingdom's donation of Challenger 2 tanks, Germany's contribution of Marder infantry fighting vehicles, France's donation of AMX light tanks, Sweden's donation of CV90 infantry fighting vehicles and howitzers, Denmark's and Estonia's donation of howitzers, Latvia's donation of machine guns and unmanned aerial systems and Lithuania's donation of Mi-8 helicopters, just to name a few.

In addition, as Secretary Austin highlighted, many European countries have also announced their own training initiatives as part of the E.U.'s military assistance mission to Ukraine.

Security assistance donations constitute a variety of lethal capabilities from a multitude of countries which, again, underscores the international community's continued support for Ukraine's immediate needs on the battlefield. The security assistance can be binned into several categories, from anti-air capabilities, to artillery, to aviation assets, maneuver and infantry small arms weapons. Combined with the training the Ukrainians are receiving, this will provide them with additional combined-arms maneuver capabilities that will enable them to change the equation on the battlefield by choosing the time, location and manner in which to execute the counteroffensive operations as they defend their country and attempt to take back sovereign territory from their Russian occupiers.

Secretary Austin said in his opening remarks at the Contact Group, Russia is attempting to regroup, recruit and re-equip, so this is not a moment to slow down when it comes to supporting Ukraine and their defense. And as evidenced by the continued support of the U.S. and international community demonstrated by the Contact Group, we won't let up and will continue to support Ukraine for as long as it takes.

And with that, I'm happy to take your questions...

Let's go to Tom Bowman, NPR.

Q: Yeah, could you talk a little bit more about what we're seeing in the east with regard to Russians sending more troops and other Wagner group or regular Russian troops? And also, are you seeing much armor coming with them? Are these more lightly armed troops?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, thanks, Tom. So -- so what we've seen is Russia sending in replacements for units that have been, particularly in the Bakhmut area that have been -- had heavy casualties, but really, across the line attempting to send in some of those mobilized forces to help strengthen some of their defensive positions. Don't have anything to provide on the armor front. Again, a key aspect is despite these increased numbers in terms of replacements, reinforcements, not a significant enhancement in terms of the training of those forces. So again, ill-equipped, ill-trained, rushed to the battlefield, and something we'll obviously continue to keep an eye on. Thank you.

Q: But also replacements?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yup.

Q: Were you talking hundreds, thousands? Can you give us a ballpark?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: I would say across -- across the -- the forward line of troops, we're seeing thousands.

Q: Okay. And you can't characterize that in any way? More than five, fewer than 10, or anything?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: I would say -- yeah, I would say, again, across the totality of the battlefield, probably tens of thousands at this point.

Q: Tens of --

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Again, not -- tens of thousands across the --

Q: Ten --

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Tens of thousands across the forward -- across the forward line of troops, and not coming in necessarily as organized units but -- but filling in the gaps where -- where replacements and reinforcements are needed.

Q: Got it, thanks.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Okay. Let's go to Howard Altman, War Zone.

Q: Thanks, (inaudible). A couple of questions. First, can you drill down a little bit more about the status in Kreminna? And then larger picture, does the U.S. share the German intelligence assessment that the Ukrainians are losing, you know, triple digits every day in Bakhmut? And then, you know, larger picture, should the Ukrainians lose the Donbas writ large, how or if would that affect their larger strategic objectives in this war?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, thanks, Howard. On your last two questions, I'm going to be exceedingly disappointing, unfortunately, and then I'm not going to -- I'm not going to talk about hypotheticals about, you know, what could happen in the -- in those kinds of scenarios, nor am I going to talk about Ukrainian casualty figures.

And then in terms of Kreminna, what we're seeing is Ukrainian counter-offensive operations, again, largely fluid in that area, in terms of back and forth, making some incremental gains near Kreminna but, you know, that's about as detailed as I'm -- I'm able to get.

Again, stepping back, bigger picture, this is just one example of the Ukrainians looking to exploit opportunities along the -- the Russian defensive lines and our focus is on trying to get them the security assistance they need to be able to take advantage and exploit those kinds of opportunities. Thank you.

Let me go to Dan Lamothe, Washington Post.

Q: Hey, good morning. Thanks. I have one question and one follow-up please. It occurs to me we haven't seen much of late of kind of those wave attacks of Iranian drones that we had seen for a while that was -- pretty obvious on its face. Do you have the sense that they -- they may have run through that supply? Are we kind of in a gap period as a result?

And then on -- on the casualty side, you -- you mentioned the Ukrainian figures. A Norwegian Army Chief said in an interview, I believe yesterday, that the Russian number of dead and wounded exceeded 180,000. Would you walk us off that figure? Thanks.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, thanks, Dan. So as specific as I can get, you know, I'd refer you to the Chairman's comments during the -- the press briefing on Friday, where he said, you know, well over 100,000 in terms of Russian casualties. That's about as specific as -- as I'm going to be able to get.

I would say on the Ukrainian side, again, without getting into numbers, clearly, you know, Ukraine has also experienced a high number of casualties, it's been a very tough fight, but for operation and security reasons, I'm -- I'm not going to get more specific than that.

And then on the Iranian drones, you know, I'm -- I'm not going to talk specific intelligence, other than to say that we -- that we know that this is a capability that the Iranians have provided to the Russians. Can't really talk to, you know, their decision-making process, in terms of when they are or are not going to employ them, but we do know that it is a capability that they continue to seek more of from the (Iranians).

So I think we can expect to continue and -- to see those employed on the battlefield, but in terms of when and how they -- they will employ them, that's just not something that I'm -- that I'm able to go into.

All right, thank you. Let me go to Jeff Seldin with VOA.

Q: Hey, thanks very much for doing this. Two questions. One, we've -- we've been told repeatedly that Russian forces are -- have been suffering from poor morale but to what extent is that poor morale actually impacting their ability to fight or -- or the overall support for Putin within Russia?

I remember a former Director of National Intelligence once said that the Russians have a great capacity to endure pain and suffering, and it seems like despite the poor morale, they keep throwing wave after wave of -- of poorly trained troops in -- troops in there.

Second question -- with the support for Ukraine, a lot of the focus has been on the provision of Western military equipment from the U.S., Germany, Poland, others, but how much could Ukraine still benefit from Russian-made equipment and -- and how much of that stuff still might be out there? Thanks.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, thanks, Jeff. On the question of morale, just talking at the -- the macro level, you know, it -- it really comes down to combat effectiveness, readiness, and ability to achieve your tactical, operational, and strategic objectives, right?

So, you know, if -- if you think of any type of high performing team, when there's high morale, when there's -- properly equipped and properly led, you are going to accomplish what you've set out to accomplish. So morale can play a significant factor in terms of your ability to achieve your objectives.

And so in the case of Russian forces, this could manifest itself in -- in terms of what we've seen, which is instead of effective offensive operations, primarily defensive operations, trying to stem the tide and hold territory versus take territory, which clearly works to Ukraine's advantage. So I'll just kind of leave it -- leave it at that.

In terms of the -- and I'm sorry, what was your second question?

Q: Second question was on whether or not the Ukrainian military could still benefit from getting Russian-made equipment, if it's -- and -- and -- and to what extent any of that equipment -- you know, tanks, weapons systems, ammo -- is -- is still out there and -- and potentially available?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, sure. And so, you know, to your point, they are -- they are getting -- some of the security assistance does include Russian equipment, right? So you've got -- Slovakia has provided S-300s, Slovenia has (provided P-55 tanks. Of course, we've talked about the -- the effort by the U.S. the Netherlands, to work with Czech Republic to provide Ukraine with T-72 tanks. Poland has also provided T-72 tanks. So the -- and then I -- you know, and I also mentioned the Mi-8 helicopters in -- in our opening discussions.

So they are getting some of that equipment, as well as spare parts from some of those countries, to enable them to continue to operate those equipment.

Q: It's been awhile, but thank you. Two questions. One, just following up on what you said about the counteroffensive in Kreminna. Can you just give us a little bit more information about the scope of how we should sort of look at this? I mean, it doesn't sound like this is a major counteroffensive that Ukraine is launching right now but more like incremental gains. So can you give us a little bit more information about that? And then I have a follow up.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Well, we're -- you know, we're, again, not going to talk about future ops per say but largely from a strategic operational standpoint as I mentioned largely around the frontline right now it's static, right? So -- but that doesn't mean that there's nothing happening.

You've got Russia, again, trying to push near Bakhmut. You've got Ukraine pushing near Kreminna, but the capabilities that we're providing that I highlighted at the top, these types of armored and maneuver capabilities as well as the artillery capabilities, the fires capabilities are designed to be able to change the equation on the battlefield and give Ukraine the capability that they need -- when I say capability, that's equipment plus training -- that they need to be able to not only defend their territory but also conduct their counteroffensive to take back territory that has been occupied by Russia.

So again, they'll make the decision in terms of when they will start those large-scale operations to do that. And our focus is on enabling them and getting them ready to succeed when they do.

Q: So then, have the Bradleys actually arrived that -- arrived yet? And then just quickly on the Abrams as well, the DOD officials keep sort of saying how these are not the right weapons for the European battlefield right now, but I guess the kind of obvious follow up then is why are they in the U.S. arsenal? So can you maybe give like a defense I suppose of the counterargument to what you've been saying about Abrams?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yes. So on the Bradleys, no. They have not arrived yet. Again, we won't pre-announce, you know, when they specifically get there. We'll let the Ukrainians do that. You know, we're talking weeks, not months, so you know, in the relatively near future.

On the Abrams, again, our focus has been on providing capabilities to the Ukrainians that they can use right now, right, that are going to have a -- that are going to have an impact. The M1 is an extremely capable and effective fighting system, but it's also a very complex system that requires a lot of maintenance, requires a lot of logistic support.

And so, again, when you look at the kinds of armored and fires capabilities that are in the PDA that we just announced and the one prior to that, these are all things that can be employed immediately on the battlefield to help change that equation.

When it comes to the capabilities that the M1 provides to the United States military, again, we're kind of comparing two different things here, right? The Ukrainian Armed Forces are highly effective, but it's not the United States military that has global commitments and multiple countries and obviously larger.

So in the same way that we had advanced air capabilities like the F-35 or advanced sea capabilities, the M1 is an advanced armor capability employed by U.S. forces to meet our global national security commitments. Thank you.

Q: Thank you.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: All right. Let's go to -- I'm sorry, Tara. I should have called you at the very beginning. AP.

Q: Oh, no. You're good. No worries. I had a question on the reports that Morocco is sending T-72 tanks. Did the U.S. do any outreach to Morocco on this? And what other countries I guess have you been reaching out to, to see if T-72s could be an alternative for Ukraine?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yes. Thanks, Tara. I don't have anything to provide on Morocco specifically. I would say, you know, largely, as -- as, you know, we discussed and as -- as was highlighted at the Contact Group, we -- we are -- are and have and will continue to reach out to numerous countries to see what they may be able to provide to help support Ukraine. And so I -- I highlighted a few other countries that were providing tanks, Russian-made tanks, but again, broadly speaking, that's something that we'll continue to do. But yeah, I don't have anything on Morocco specifically.

Q: But is it the Pentagon's thinking that the T-72 would just be a better fit, and to have one type of tank on the battlefield?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: So you raised a great point, which is that this is not about, you know, focusing on a single type of platform or a single type of equipment, right; that -- that different pieces of equipment can contribute in different ways. You have to look at this from a big-picture standpoint in terms of how you integrate all of these capabilities into a combined-arms approach to achieve the effects that you want in support of the operation and operations that you're conducting.

And so an advantage to the Russian-made tanks is that this is -- these are systems that the Ukrainians already have. They know how to operate them. They know how to maintain them. And so it's, again, back to my earlier comment about giving them capabilities they can employ right now to make a difference, because the adversary gets a vote too, and they're not waiting around. So you've got to get them something that they can employ immediately, because time is not, you know, time is not going to be your friend in this situation. So that's -- that's just a -- another example of why those kinds of capabilities can be helpful in addition to the others that -- that we're providing. Thank you.

Q: Okay, thank you.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: We go to Mike, Washington Examiner.

Q: Hi. Thanks for taking my question. I just wanted to follow up on, I believe, Dan's question about Iranians drones. We've heard last month that there was the possibility of a joint production line being set up, but has there been any intelligence to suggest that that's actually ongoing now? Thank you.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, thanks, Mike. I -- I don't have anything to provide on that, unfortunately. Do you have any follow-ups?

Q: No, thank you.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Okay, thanks. Let me go to Oren, CNN.

Q: I had a very quick question. The secretary, during his press conference with Chairman Milley, said the Netherlands would be providing missiles and training on the Patriot. I was just wondering if you could clarify that. First, are the -- are -- is the Netherlands providing an entire system or just missiles? And second, is the Netherlands part of training on the Patriot missile system? Because we've wondered what Germany's solution is there, and if -- and if Netherlands needs to train on its own.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, thanks, Oren. So my understanding is that the Netherlands will provide missiles, launchers and training on the Patriot, and that Germany will be providing a -- a Patriot battery. But I'd have to refer you -- refer you to them for more specifics in terms of, you know, the -- the training piece of that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vox Nihili posted:

That only matters if the number of deaths are equal or the Russians are losing less. If Ukraine saaay....kills 3 Russians for every 1 Ukrainian? They both run out of people at the same time, and you now have two countries that are completely incapable of functioning.

Except only one is going to get serious external rebuilding aid. Numbers don't fix stupid, you can only plug holes with bodies if you stop making new holes. It's still a horrific situation and the sheer number of people Russia has can absolutely drag this out long after the outcome is clear.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Mulva posted:

That only matters if the number of deaths are equal or the Russians are losing less. If Ukraine saaay....kills 3 Russians for every 1 Ukrainian? They both run out of people at the same time, and you now have two countries that are completely incapable of functioning.

Except only one is going to get serious external rebuilding aid. Numbers don't fix stupid, you can only plug holes with bodies if you stop making new holes. It's still a horrific situation and the sheer number of people Russia has can absolutely drag this out long after the outcome is clear.

I’m not so sure. If the war plays out as you describe, Ukraine will be reduced to rubble. Russia has population, landmass with which to scatter its industries, and is (thus far) the only side capable of power projection on the enemy’s land (some drone strikes notwithstanding).

If Ukraine’s Western backers continue to insist that advanced, long range weaponry not be used on Russian soil, it will be a long slog to push the Russian armies back to whatever border the Ukrainians will be happy with. Ukraine has always been the underdog in this conflict, at least to me. The fact that they now have some powerful friends sending them weapons helps, but hardly evens things out. The Russians now occupy vast amounts of the country, with their homeland secure, while Ukrainian cities and infrastructure are targeted with long range missiles.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
None of that matters. Literally none of that matters. If Russia keeps sending it's men into stupid meat-grinders to accomplish nothing and Ukraine just...keeps letting them do that?

Every single advantage Russia has on paper is meaningless.

Again, that just turns their situation to neutral. Which, as I said, just breaks both countries. It doesn't matter where their factories are, it doesn't matter how big it is, it does not matter what their population is. They have to stop losing men pointlessly to capitalize on anything. They have not. And they seem to be increasingly throwing untrained and badly equipped troops at the problem hoping it will get better. It will not. It will, in fact, get worse. Getting worse is the worst possible thing that happens [For them at least], because then that neutral situation of their sheer loving incompetence being matched by having more people turns into their sheer loving incompetence causing them to lose in spite of having more people.

They may or may not already be at that point, but at the least they certainly aren't in a winning dynamic right now.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 24, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
If both sides buckle down and fight to the last man... I'm fairly confident Russia will win, short of vastly increased amounts of international assistance to Ukraine, though it would be an incredibly Pyrrhic victory.

I think that's a big if, though. An enormous one, really. Some resolution far short of that seems much more likely.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Bremen posted:

If both sides buckle down and fight to the last man... I'm fairly confident Russia will win, short of vastly increased amounts of international assistance to Ukraine, though it would be an incredibly Pyrrhic victory.

I think that's a big if, though. An enormous one, really. Some resolution far short of that seems much more likely.

That still doesn't solve the problem of a year ago where "winning" for Russia is meaningless when they don't have the men, time, or competence to occupy the country. I'm starting to doubt the Kremlin could even define what a victory looks like anymore.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mulva posted:

None of that matters. Literally none of that matters. If Russia keeps sending it's men into stupid meat-grinders to accomplish nothing and Ukraine just...keeps letting them do that?

Every single advantage Russia has on paper is meaningless.

Again, that just turns their situation to neutral. Which, as I said, just breaks both countries. It doesn't matter where their factories are, it doesn't matter how big it is, it does not matter what their population is. They have to stop losing men pointlessly to capitalize on anything. They have not. And they seem to be increasingly throwing untrained and badly equipped troops at the problem hoping it will get better. It will not. It will, in fact, get worse. Getting worse is the worst possible thing that happens [For them at least], because then that neutral situation of their sheer loving incompetence being matched by having more people turns into their sheer loving incompetence causing them to lose in spite of having more people.

They may or may not already be at that point, but at the least they certainly aren't in a winning dynamic right now.

What are you talking about? How are these advantages meaningless? Russia launches strategic bombers from out of Ukraine's reach. Russia ships in artillery shells by rail from its factories to the front that are, again, out of Ukraine's reach. Those things absolutely matter, because they vastly reduce Ukraine's capacity to strike at weak points in Russia's war machine, whereas Russia has the capacity to reduce almost any facility in Ukraine to rubble.

The battles being fought now are very much the opposite of meaningless. Territorial control is being decided on a day-to-day basis. Tens of thousands of lives are at stake. Both sides are incurring enormous losses.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Pook Good Mook posted:

That still doesn't solve the problem of a year ago where "winning" for Russia is meaningless when they don't have the men, time, or competence to occupy the country. I'm starting to doubt the Kremlin could even define what a victory looks like anymore.

I think for Russia a victory would be "peace deal now with the current borders and an end to sanctions". What they've taken is the most Russian speaking and pro-(or at least less anti-)Russian, and resistance to occupation would be hampered by the fact that Russia already conscripted most of the fighting age men. I'm not sure they ever intended to fully occupy Ukraine to begin with, they just planned to take Kyiv as a means to forcing a surrender.

Ukraine seems unlikely to give them that deal, though, and Russia's attempt to force them to submit through the terror bombing doesn't seem to be working either. Russia might try to reinforce and go for Kyiv again, or else just bulk up the defenders enough to try to make a Ukrainian offensive unfeasible and then just try to wait things out.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Vox Nihili posted:

... whereas Russia has the capacity to reduce almost any facility in Ukraine to rubble.

Citation needed... Russia doesn't have anywhere near that capability with conventional arms. For evidence - the entire war to this point.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

, whereas Russia has the capacity to reduce almost any facility in Ukraine to rubble.

Yet at the 12th month of war Ukraine still has operational airfields and repair facilities and Russia wastes its missile arsenal on terror bombing.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

And this is maybe even more true for Ukraine which have a similar terrible population pyramid but a third of the population of Russia. So unless they can trade better than 1:3 for each Ukrainian defender spent, then they too are getting shafted just as much. And if you think that Ukraine is trading at a worse ratio than that, for example 1:2 (which sounds good in terms of attrition) then they are getting shafted more than Russia. Also, in war one generally tries to trade territory for lives, or lives for territory. So far it appears to be the case that Ukraine has opted to hold onto territory with lives because anything they lose can very well be permanent at this point. Sadly this looks to be costing them a whole bunch of lives because Russian artillery is still at a great advantage. Thus it wouldn't surprise me if Ukraine in aggregate have been trading at a significantly worse than a 1:3 ratio in places like Bakhmut/Soledar etc, especially if they just take out mobiks and lose veterans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bremen posted:

I think for Russia a victory would be "peace deal now with the current borders and an end to sanctions".

Absolutely not. For starters, formally they’ve annexed more land than practically.