Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hey I have a product report!

The Chevrolet Bolt charging port is recessed into the body, with no heater around it or anything. So if you have freezing rain, you have a problem. We bought one of these to try to fix that.

The Chevrolet Bolt also apparently has a fiberglass quarter panel. So it doesn't stick.

I tried it on the Tesla Model 3. It sticks, but it also hosed up the charge port cover, and now the motor won't open or close it.

FINAL VERDICT: don't get one of these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My Neighbor has an Arcimoto 3 wheel electric thing and he drives it all the time. they don't seem to have to wear helmets in Oregon.

This is it, seems cool tbh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cruft posted:

…and now the motor won't open or close it.

IIRC, Tesla warranteed my charge port cover and drive motor under the powertrain warranty. Worth a look, anyway.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

cruft posted:

Hey I have a product report!

The Chevrolet Bolt charging port is recessed into the body, with no heater around it or anything. So if you have freezing rain, you have a problem. We bought one of these to try to fix that.

The Chevrolet Bolt also apparently has a fiberglass quarter panel. So it doesn't stick.

I tried it on the Tesla Model 3. It sticks, but it also hosed up the charge port cover, and now the motor won't open or close it.

FINAL VERDICT: don't get one of these!

Why does rain or freezing rain or snow or sleet matter as long as it's plugged in? The plug and socket should be waterproof.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrYenko posted:

IIRC, Tesla warranteed my charge port cover and drive motor under the powertrain warranty. Worth a look, anyway.

When they have the CCS upgrade available, I'll make a service appointment to get that done, and I'll ask them to look at the charge port cover too. It's not a huge deal to manually open and close it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Why does rain or freezing rain or snow or sleet matter as long as it's plugged in? The plug and socket should be waterproof.

The Bolt charging port is recessed into the body. So it fills with ice, which is problematic if you want to disconnect the charger and drive the car somewhere.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

cruft posted:

The Bolt charging port is recessed into the body. So it fills with ice, which is problematic if you want to disconnect the charger and drive the car somewhere.

An astoundingly stupid design; the port should be angled down a tad so that water/ice/snow doesn't collect!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

I'm with BWBD on this one, this is a car for local use, DCFC really shouldn't matter. The only people considering road tripping these things are Youtubers and absolute idiots (often both).

Charging on 110v is a joke no matter what, if you can't install a L2 charger where your vehicle is parked most nights an EV is not a good idea anyways. That said if you need more range than this car can charge overnight even on 1500 watts this probably is not the car for you.

I'm definitely not in the market/target audience but I thought that long roadtrips would be its main selling point. If you're driving 15 minutes to the office a Leaf would do just as well. But on a road trip, the low drag and small frontal area should mean significantly better efficiency and range for a given battery size. I don't see any issues with driving it on a highway either, but then I daily a miata so the Aptera looks like a CF safety cocoon

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't see any issues with driving it on a highway either, but then I daily a miata so the Aptera looks like a CF safety cocoon

The crumple zone is your spine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm interested to see the actual crash test results. It could perform OK; there's a lot you can do with structures and advanced materials, but the mass disadvantage is gonna be a killer.

They're not obligated to test it, of course - but I hope IIHS does so at least!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm interested to see the actual crash test results. It could perform OK; there's a lot you can do with structures and advanced materials, but the mass disadvantage is gonna be a killer.

They're not obligated to test it, of course - but I hope IIHS does so at least!

The problem is that they would need to have spare cars to send for crash testing, and I don't think they can afford to not sell those units.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Speleothing posted:

The problem is that they would need to have spare cars to send for crash testing, and I don't think they can afford to not sell those units.

When they inevitably go bankrupt I bet there will be a few available for cheap.

I like that they're all "complies with applicable* FMVSS requirements!" on their website.

*for motorcycles

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I don't get the Aptera as a business proposition. They think they are in the "car" market, but realistically they are in the "toy" market. Or maybe golf cart market.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

I don't get the Aptera as a business proposition. They think they are in the "car" market, but realistically they are in the "toy" market. Or maybe golf cart market.

uhh excuse me they are in the ~disrupting personal transportation~ market

please don't try to constrain their vision with your legacy market segmentation

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Golf carts as the future of personal transportation would save millions of lives every year

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Golf carts as the future of personal transportation would save millions of lives every year

https://imgur.com/7jwRZc1.mp4

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

This person never played Oregon trial.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
nothing of value was lost at least

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

nothing of value was lost at least

Golf carts can get freaking expensive!

I know there's a market for "priced like a golf cart but you can also take it to the grocery store" which, if we're being honest, is probably a great option for oldsters who shouldn't be wielding 2 tons of metal at 35MPH.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I’m surprised they had long enough to get out and turn around to film it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

uhh excuse me they are in the ~disrupting personal transportation~ market

please don't try to constrain their vision with your legacy market segmentation

They're going to get themselves disrupted by honda/yamaha/kawi when their standard of battery comes out. Just kidding, Aptera won't make it that long.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Russian Bear posted:

The proposition I think is pretty clear, a ground-up efficient EV design that doesn't brute-force things by putting a literal ton of batteries into a brick with wheels.

Of course if it makes sense depends on whether or not hey can delver something that works as promised at a reasonable price.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mobby_6kl posted:

The proposition I think is pretty clear, a ground-up efficient EV design that doesn't brute-force things by putting a literal ton of batteries into a brick with wheels.

Of course if it makes sense depends on whether or not hey can delver something that works as promised at a reasonable price.
Isn't that the one that makes hay out of having solar panels built into the roof?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Instead of buying a 3-wheeled 'motorcycle', just get an actual motorcycle. Mine fits in a single car garage.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

Isn't that the one that makes hay out of having solar panels built into the roof?

They're supposed to be optional but are apparently included on the "launch edition, which is why I mentioned they should've dropped them instead of DC charging

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Instead of buying a 3-wheeled 'motorcycle', just get an actual motorcycle. Mine fits in a single car garage.

Now just make it seat two and have room for groceries and have climate control and a roof for when it's raining, and you might have something that older couples will buy!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

cruft posted:

Now just make it seat two and have room for groceries and have climate control and a roof for when it's raining, and you might have something that older couples will buy!

You just described a car.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You just described a car.

I don't know what to tell you, other than that some of the people who think this Aptera is a neat idea and wouldn't mind owning one, are not going to be considering motorcycles.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Owning an extremely niche-level EV sucks sometimes. I had to ship mine across the country to Energica headquarters in San Fran for service, and it remained there for 5 months. The Aptera is a niche of a niche market, just be warned.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cruft posted:

https://www.citroen.co.uk/ami

Off you go, also it won't make you look like a techbro rear end in a top hat.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.citroen.co.uk/ami

Off you go, also it won't make you look like a techbro rear end in a top hat.

That thing would suuuuuuck outside the most urban areas.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That thing would suuuuuuck outside the most urban areas.

It's a heavy quadricycle, even a conventional petrol one will be a chore outside of town.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There's already the Twizy of course. I know someone who drove one in the city a few years, they replaced it with a Fiat 500e.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Aptera, even without DCFC, should be able to do some serious highway miles at least.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

knox_harrington posted:

There's already the Twizy of course. I know someone who drove one in the city a few years, they replaced it with a Fiat 500e.

Twizy is registered as a car, which, funnily enough, makes inconvenient to pensioners that cannot succeed a fully medical exam for a car license but will do fine for a motorbike one. Opel rocks/Citroen Ami/Fiat topolino are selling to kids not old enough for cars or people too old to keep their license.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Aptera is rad. The solar panels on it are pretty dumb.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Duck and Cover posted:

Aptera is rad. The solar panels on it are pretty dumb.

If they can actually meet the efficiency goals they’ve announced, the solar panels totally make sense. In the more-probable event that they can’t meet those goals, then I absolutely agree with you.

The Aptera’s been announced at ~100wh/mi. A couple solar panels make a meaningful impact to your life at that kind of draw, when there’s sun.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Does this thread have opinions on the RS e-tron GT? I fully intend to keep a gas car or two around, so I don't really give a poo poo about range for getting out of the city -- my daily driving atm is under 20 miles and I mostly ride my motorcycle when the weather is good.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
I'll make a longer post about it at some point but my e-tron has been stuck at the dealer for 5 months waiting for them to replace a battery module. It was a nice car until that happened but their service situation is not good.

(they have everything they need except a cell balancer and there are like fewer than ten in the country and they just get shipped around with no ETA)

If you don't have that problem it's a very nice car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

TwoDice posted:

I'll make a longer post about it at some point but my e-tron has been stuck at the dealer for 5 months waiting for them to replace a battery module. It was a nice car until that happened but their service situation is not good.

(they have everything they need except a cell balancer and there are like fewer than ten in the country and they just get shipped around with no ETA)

If you don't have that problem it's a very nice car.

Oof! Did they give you a loaner? Also, what happened then the fault was detected? Did it stop or go into limp mode?