Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

pwn posted:

In other news, that Jeepster order from Black Friday came in last week. BBC Sessions is a (now late) xmas gift for a friend, and because it didn't come with an obi despite Jeepster's outdated page saying it would, and because I have undiagnosed mental problems, i painted a bootleg strip this week

The real strip from my US pressing doesn't have Storytelling represented, as Matador couldn't license it for whatever reason, probably because of snippets from the film that are in it (I remember their PR person lying* on FB back in 2014 and saying they never released it on vinyl originally, which is super weird as I own a Matador pressing of it :hmmno: ) but it was part of the UK Brilliant Career series, as evidenced by these photos from ebay

Anyway a few more detail shots, so you can really take in that line work and lettering

Final assembly.

It certainly is a sham, though I doubt it'll be going for a grand :rimshot:

*a pr person, lying?? quelle surprise!

You’re insane but I appreciate the effort you’ve put into this ridiculous task.

I’m really enjoying the new B&S. It has some really fun stuff on it and the last track is fantastic. I feel like it’s the strongest since The Life Pursuit.

I have the Storytelling repress, but I never listen to it because I consider it the least essential of any of their albums. It would have been better as an EP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Creature posted:

You’re insane but I appreciate the effort you’ve put into this ridiculous task.

I’m really enjoying the new B&S. It has some really fun stuff on it and the last track is fantastic. I feel like it’s the strongest since The Life Pursuit.

I have the Storytelling repress, but I never listen to it because I consider it the least essential of any of their albums. It would have been better as an EP.

Do you have the obi? :q:

Also I always thought it was an EP, but I guess the lines between single and EP, and EP and LP are so loose as to not exist functionally. Is it time based? Number of tracks? Size of medium? Each of these has aberrations which nullify their parameters. Number of tracks is nothing, otherwise Anal Trump's first 100 songs EP, which clocks in at around 12 minutes, would be an LP. 7" is pretty firmly single territory, but there are EPs on 7" that are 33 rpm and go for 5-7 minutes a side. Also CDs exist and even the small 3-inch discs can have two hundred Anal Trump tracks (24 minutes). Storytelling, at 34 minutes, is longer than some Beatles "LPs" but it just feels like an EP.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Received these two records today. Haven't heard the Eli Winter album yet but the Tommy Guerrero is really good.

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 21, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I buy a lot of stuff from a label and keep getting preorders delivered like three weeks in advance of official release and I just today decided to look where their main office is located and it's like a mile away lmao

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

marjorie posted:

I was on a second or third date with this older metal\goth musician and Bauhaus came up on my mix I was playing for us; he took the opportunity to tell me the story of how he was introduced to them by a couple of super hot witches (his words) and how they were all over him at some party. For some reason I went out with him a few more times, but realized his favourite topic of conversation was reliving his heyday and how many girls were totally into him all the time, but trying to play down like he never really cared about them...I should've taken the Bauhaus clue and peaced out then.

Who knew Bauhaus were such harbingers of failed relationships.

E: To contribute some vinyl content, here are my recent acquisitions:

And a Christmas gift from a guy I'm seeing now who doesn't suck (this one has Another Saturday Night, joylessdivision!):

That Archers Of Loaf record bangs.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Nightmare Cinema posted:

That Archers Of Loaf record bangs.

It totally does - I'm seeing them next month and can't wait.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I usually have zero luck with records at charity shops. I mean, how many loving records did Ray Conniff make?

Anyway, I got these yesterday:

A five-LP set and, surprisingly, all five records were there AND they appear to have never been played.

Some 45s:

The b-side is just the instrumental version.

This appears to have been part of a box set (which was popular in the 50s)

Pretty much like most Ventures songs

I had no idea who these people were (apparently they were a "hillbilly" comedy act), but I got it for the b-side:

No, it's not a misprint. It's just the a-side played backward.

I only know of one other time this was done - Napoleon XIV's "They're Coming to Take Me Away".

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 22, 2023

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Hey, I showed up here a few weeks ago as a total newcomer asking for tips trying to deal with a Crossley-clone record player that just hated certain records, skipping constantly, while other records played perfectly. You guys made some good suggestions like cleaning the records even more carefully, but there was a general consensus that the player was trash and probably unfixable without massive jank. Someone suggested tracking force being the problem, and the follow-up suggestion that I tape pennies to the cartridge as ballast made me smile.

Well, that last bit was right on the money. The problem records were bass-heavy, and the problem spots even more so, and the needle was popping out of the groove. I never taped pennies to anything, though. Instead I shelled out for an AT LP120x(BT-USB), and as soon as I set it up properly (which was a lot of fun) everything started purring.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 23, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Samfucius posted:

Hey, I showed up here a few weeks ago as a total newcomer asking for tips trying to deal with a Crossley-clone record player that just hated certain records, skipping constantly, while other records played perfectly. You guys made some good suggestions like cleaning the records even more carefully, but there was a general consensus that the player was trash and probably unfixable without massive jank. Someone suggested tracking force being the problem, and the follow-up suggestion that I tape pennies to the cartridge as ballast made me smile.

Well, that last bit was right on the money. The problem records were bass-heavy, and the problem spots even more so, and the needle was popping out of the groove I never taped pennies to anything, though. Instead I shelled out for an AT LP120x(BT-USB), and as soon as I set it up properly (which was a lot of fun) everything started purring.

Welcome to the Crosley Crew

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
every record at my grandparents' house that wasn't Barbra Streisand, klezmer music or showtunes

i love the little Columbia jazz 45 sets, they have three 45s containing basically an LP worth of music designed for an automatic flipping system so they're a huge twiddly pain in the rear end. i already had a brubeck one and this makes a nice little collection.

here's a bunch of unrelated download codes, please use them if you'd like

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i wondered why RCA thought 45s could compete against LPs to be the 78 replacement and the answer was "autochangers"

man the idea of stacking records so their grooves are scraping against each other is like, don't do that

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah i wondered why RCA thought 45s could compete against LPs to be the 78 replacement and the answer was "autochangers"

man the idea of stacking records so their grooves are scraping against each other is like, don't do that
As someone who buys a lot of classical box sets, gently caress autochangers. It's such a pain in the rear end to have to switch out the record every time you get to the end of a side.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its unbelievably annoying with my Toscanini beethoven box lol, because i never want to listen to the entire Beethoven cycle, i want to listen to like, the 6th and 8th or some poo poo

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Feels Villeneuve posted:

7” 45s have a raised bit by the centre label to stop that from happening

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Not vinyl related, but I'm jazzed to see Bungle again.

I'm not jazzed to hear everyone whining about how they're only playing the Thrash stuff again, though. :byewhore:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

In just came 14 records (and two CDs) from Japan. This seller had half a million items on Discogs, but it was about 30% cheaper to buy from their website directly. So it came out to about $9 a record including 5 day shipping and tax.

I'm not familiar with 12" singles, but I imagine it's so they could have other people remix or sample their music. I just want the instrumentals, or the songs I've not heard of before. It's interesting to me how some of them have nice artwork (Woe Is Me), barely any artwork/photo, or just a generic black sleeve.

Mostly I wanted to clear out all those Discog sellers who said they had 10 other items for sale, and then it turned out to be 5 copies of one Jurassic 5 record. But they also had a Foo Fighters' CD that had two bonus tracks not anywhere else, and a The Killers release for my wife that had bonus tracks she didn't have.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Link the store?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

IUG posted:

I'm not familiar with 12" singles, but I imagine it's so they could have other people remix or sample their music. I just want the instrumentals, or the songs I've not heard of before. It's interesting to me how some of them have nice artwork (Woe Is Me), barely any artwork/photo, or just a generic black sleeve.

I think 12" singles were mainly produced for club DJs. The format allows for larger grooves maybe so your record could be louder and bassier (is that a word haha?) for the dance floor. Including the instrumental allows a DJ to have two copies so you can extend/beat juggle/remix easier?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Arcella posted:

Link the store?

I wasn’t going to link it unless someone asked, so it wasn’t an advertisement.

https://www.recordcity.jp/en

Discogs was $200, their site was $140. Ordered on Wednesday, arrived today.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
recordcity.jp ? If so can confirm they have some very reasonable prices on both records and shipping, got a couple of things from them for MSRP that are being gouged by everybody on discogs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Got this today:

Klaatu 3:47 EST (although this is the US version and is self-titled).

There was a rumor going around that this was actually The Beatles. There are parts that are very Beatle-ly. At first the band and the label did nothing to dispel the rumors, but somebody did a little digging and found the copyright info on the songs only to discover that it was just a band from Canada.

The sound is very 70s.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Got this today:

Klaatu 3:47 EST (although this is the US version and is self-titled).

There was a rumor going around that this was actually The Beatles. There are parts that are very Beatle-ly. At first the band and the label did nothing to dispel the rumors, but somebody did a little digging and found the copyright info on the songs only to discover that it was just a band from Canada.

The sound is very 70s.

Aside from The Beatles rumor, they were famous for being one of the weirdest (but pleasant) covers by The Carpenters

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
god i got this a while back and this is one of my favorite LPs i have now, early digital can be variable (and yeah it's dumb to not listen to it on streaming) but it's such a good performance of a composer more people should know

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

IUG posted:

I wasn’t going to link it unless someone asked, so it wasn’t an advertisement.

https://www.recordcity.jp/en

Discogs was $200, their site was $140. Ordered on Wednesday, arrived today.

drat, almost pulled the trigger on some albums but I don't want to spend $200 CAD right now. gently caress.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
big fan of this kind of discogs sale history

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah if you were into dance music in the 90s and picked up 12” singles, you knew you were gonna get some nice 7 minute long mixes of the track that might not make it to the CDS and the label based artwork gave you a sense of trust. Producers might only make it big with a track or two, but if you see a record sleeve with the label POSITIVA stamped in huge letters then you know what you’re in for.

CDs are naturally a taboo here, but I do miss the days before the rules in the UK changed where they’d cram as many remixes onto the disc as possible. Between the 2 singles for Josh Wink/Winx’ ‘Higher State of Consciousness’ I had something like 15 versions of that one song with each single running probably 40+ minutes long. Was always a bugger to remember which version was my favorite though…

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah if you were into dance music in the 90s and picked up 12” singles, you knew you were gonna get some nice 7 minute long mixes of the track that might not make it to the CDS and the label based artwork gave you a sense of trust. Producers might only make it big with a track or two, but if you see a record sleeve with the label POSITIVA stamped in huge letters then you know what you’re in for.

CDs are naturally a taboo here, but I do miss the days before the rules in the UK changed where they’d cram as many remixes onto the disc as possible. Between the 2 singles for Josh Wink/Winx’ ‘Higher State of Consciousness’ I had something like 15 versions of that one song with each single running probably 40+ minutes long. Was always a bugger to remember which version was my favorite though…

I was into Rush in the 90s

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Seems like the dumbest way imaginable to launder money, but maybe?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

sporklift posted:

I think 12" singles were mainly produced for club DJs. The format allows for larger grooves maybe so your record could be louder and bassier (is that a word haha?) for the dance floor. Including the instrumental allows a DJ to have two copies so you can extend/beat juggle/remix easier?

So here's the story.

In the mid 70s, a producer in NYC, I believe, was working on a song, and it was common to cut an acetate record and bring it to a club to demo to see how people respond.

So they're out of the blank 7", but they had 10" acetates ready to go. But for whatever reason, the guy cutting the disc decided instead of cutting a 7" record just on a 10" disc, he decides to cut using the whole 10 inches.

This allowed him to cut a louder record with more bass, and at the club, they really liked how the record sounded.

And that's how 12" singles got their start.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Barry posted:

Seems like the dumbest way imaginable to launder money, but maybe?

Its one of a small number of classical records worth money so I think some people might have just stuck it up there for $20 or something lol

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah if you were into dance music in the 90s and picked up 12” singles, you knew you were gonna get some nice 7 minute long mixes of the track that might not make it to the CDS and the label based artwork gave you a sense of trust.

Hell yeah, the club mix of 100% Pure Love by Crystal Waters gets a lot of play in my house. [attempts to vogue poorly and knocks over my whole record shelf, destroying all my records and killing me instantly]

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Cemetry Gator posted:

So here's the story.

In the mid 70s, a producer in NYC, I believe, was working on a song, and it was common to cut an acetate record and bring it to a club to demo to see how people respond.

So they're out of the blank 7", but they had 10" acetates ready to go. But for whatever reason, the guy cutting the disc decided instead of cutting a 7" record just on a 10" disc, he decides to cut using the whole 10 inches.

This allowed him to cut a louder record with more bass, and at the club, they really liked how the record sounded.

And that's how 12" singles got their start.

That was Tom Moulton

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Its one of a small number of classical records worth money so I think some people might have just stuck it up there for $20 or something lol

Probably the far more likely explanation

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Who has a copy of this they wanna sell me? :kiddo:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2840687-No-Artist-The-Bressingham-Voigt

(This is the carousel music from the original Roller Coaster Tycoon game.)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Read After Burning posted:

Immediately ran to Discogs to put this on my wishlist. :hellyeah:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

Who has a copy of this they wanna sell me? :kiddo:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2840687-No-Artist-The-Bressingham-Voigt

You can even play it on 45 speed to simulate a control failure!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

wa27 posted:

You can even play it on 45 speed to simulate a control failure!

Guest 452 thinks this record is too intense for them.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lol what record is this

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Man finding a new copy of John Carpenter's Lost Themes 3 for less than 20 AUD was fun, but going to his Bandcamp and buying the other Lost Themes and Movie Themes records and paying shipping really torpedoed any potential savings I made.

E: am I insane for keeping inner sleeves out of the artwork while storing vinyl in outer sleeves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I, Butthole posted:

Man finding a new copy of John Carpenter's Lost Themes 3 for less than 20 AUD was fun, but going to his Bandcamp and buying the other Lost Themes and Movie Themes records and paying shipping really torpedoed any potential savings I made.

E: am I insane for keeping inner sleeves out of the artwork while storing vinyl in outer sleeves?

By outer sleeves, do you mean bags? I started doing that when the sleeve was damaged enough that I didn’t want to take the LP in and out and make the splits worse, but it was so much more convenient that I just do it with every record now, basically.