Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:douche:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

and they had no postseason success to show for it

The Canucks are going to go from being fun and bad to boring and bad. This is an improvement somehow.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
3 years combined prior to Tocchet taking over Arizona the Yotes were about a 42% goals for team in all situations. They had among the worst goal scoring in the league. During Tocchet's tenure the goal scoring was slightly worse than previous, but not a significant amount and the Coyotes were closer to a 47-48% goals for team in all situations. Upon Tocchet's leaving Arizona returned to 42% goals for team in all situations. Yes yes lots of roster turn over and what not. Just found it interesting. Tocchet seems to have closed the gap some, but not enough and the talent turnover in Arizona is very difficult to overcome. Rick may well get Vancouver playing the 'Right way' and salvage some whatever for Aqua man and then the hope selling renews.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Bring back Coach's Corner and give it to Bruce Boudreau.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TheBrattPack63/status/1617625918914301952

lol

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

The Dirty Burger posted:

Batherson is an absolute trainwreck at 5 on 5 this year too, what the hell happened to that guy

The whole team are pretty much solely scoring on the powerplay lol

https://twitter.com/everydaysens/status/1616627721165066242?s=46&t=geRflht1-TsSADo5GfAD_A

I feel like "bad" is an accurate description of this team's shooting and goaltending.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
ottawa's finishing has been so miserable that they extended the x-axis all by themselves

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Bumped in to Dave Hakstol at the gas station and said I was proud of the team this year :shobon:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Bumped in to Dave Hakstol at the gas station and said I was proud of the team this year :shobon:

I’d have screamed fire Hakstol uncontrollably out of habit.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

Bring back Coach's Corner and give it to Bruce Boudreau.

Im still holding on to hope that they bring it back with Luongo and PK in place of Don and Ron. Bruce would be good too though, if only for all the "gently caress"s that would accidentally make it on to live TV.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Every time I run into him I happen to be wearing my Gophers hat and just give him a smile. It’s happened about five times this season and starting to get ridiculous.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'd have asked him if he was there to apply for a job

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'd have asked him if he was there to apply for a job

Do we really need another Luca Sbisa moment?

Heck yes we do.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1617613845719289859?s=46&t=8deoa4ZufHCN8_lVuYSoUw

Klingberg having an unreal Bet On Yourself season

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Today I watched some video of Jeff Carter's kid being happy to find a hockey card of him and now I feel bad for how much I've ragged on Carter this year

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Today I watched some video of Jeff Carter's kid being happy to find a hockey card of him and now I feel bad for how much I've ragged on Carter this year

He's struggling but his 5v5 deployment is also insane this year. 73% dzone starts is 12% higher than his next highest he was getting in his early 20s

In fact there are only a few regular roster players in the whole league pulling down tougher starts and one of them is... Teddy Blueger

e:
Apparently the capitals 4th line is loving beastly. I didn't know Dowd and Hatheway were that good

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 24, 2023

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Twin Cinema posted:

e: McDavid scored 40 goals last night, and it's the quickest someone has scored 40 since Bure in 99-00. He's on pace for nearly 70 goals. That's insane.
He's on pace for 150 points, which would be the most since Mario in 95-96 (161) and would be a tie for 16th best season all time.

Actually anything more than 128 (kucherov, 2019) would be the best season since then. God hockey got boring in the mid 90s.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

He's on pace for 150 points, which would be the most since Mario in 95-96 (161) and would be a tie for 16th best season all time.

Actually anything more than 128 (kucherov, 2019) would be the best season since then. God hockey got boring in the mid 90s.

if not for Draisatl, McDavid would be basically peerless in the league right now
that they are both on the same team is an embarrassment of riches

that the team around them still has not found success is an embarrassment of management

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

He's struggling but his 5v5 deployment is also insane this year. 73% dzone starts is 12% higher than his next highest he was getting in his early 20s

In fact there are only a few regular roster players in the whole league pulling down tougher starts and one of them is... Teddy Blueger

e:
Apparently the capitals 4th line is loving beastly. I didn't know Dowd and Hatheway were that good

I feel like Carter's stats are garbage even in light of his usage but yeah Sullivan certainly hasn't deployed him optimally. Sully is treating him like he's 25 year old Jordan Staal and it's insane.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

mcmagic posted:

why is timo meier a sucmbag?
He's a powerforward bully, whoever trades for him will like him alot

rex rabidorum vires posted:

SMH I'd think a Bruins fan of all people would recognize such a good hockey play.
Edit: This, unironically (and I think the original post was unironic as well)

Keith Mars fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 24, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Johnny Gaudreau's teammates booed him in practice to get him ready for tonight. :allears:

I liked that joke better when somebody made it last month.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sullivan gives O zone starts in this order - Croby's line, Malkin's line, 4th line, and then 3rd line. Carter remains on the 3rd line. It isn't a failure of Carter and tbh it isn't a failure of Sullivan. When Cullen and Bonino were with the Pens they were tasked with getting awful zone starts and get a zone exit and, if possible, generate offensive zone pressure and a O zone faceoff. There is a long list I would rather see given O zone starts than Carter.

What needs to be addressed in the Penguins forward core is adding *at least* one 3rd line player that can eat up D zone starts, gets exits, and not get annihilated when doing it. The current crop of forwards trying to do it in McGinn, Carter, and Blueger isn't cutting. Nor is the defensive pairing of Rutta/Dumo. Addressing the D core is a different matter entirely though.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

e:

The Capitals 4th line and their defensemen mask how much worse guys like Kuznetsov, Oshie, and Backstrom have become. Washington transformed into a team carried by their depth players after they won the Cup.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I keep forgetting that Milan Lucic is still an NHL player, yet there he is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Sullivan gives O zone starts in this order - Croby's line, Malkin's line, 4th line, and then 3rd line. Carter remains on the 3rd line. It isn't a failure of Carter and tbh it isn't a failure of Sullivan. When Cullen and Bonino were with the Pens they were tasked with getting awful zone starts and get a zone exit and, if possible, generate offensive zone pressure and a O zone faceoff. There is a long list I would rather see given O zone starts than Carter.

What needs to be addressed in the Penguins forward core is adding *at least* one 3rd line player that can eat up D zone starts, gets exits, and not get annihilated when doing it. The current crop of forwards trying to do it in McGinn, Carter, and Blueger isn't cutting. Nor is the defensive pairing of Rutta/Dumo. Addressing the D core is a different matter entirely though.

That's kinda the problem isn't it? Sullivan wants to deploy his bottom six to eat all the hard minutes and they're getting destroyed while doing it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Johnny Gaudreau's teammates booed him in practice to get him ready for tonight. :allears:

I liked that joke better when somebody made it last month.

I liked it both times, it's really funny

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/1617737422598705153?s=46&t=cshjxWmLBOaoD1169XmFyQ

Dallas couldn’t withstand the awesomeness of Craig Anderson tonight

Let’s fuckin gooooooooo Buffaloooooooooo

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Do they place him in stasis after every game he plays?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I remember when Chris Kunitz broke Craig Anderson's heart in 2017 I figured that sure Anderson would probably hang around and collect a paycheck another year or two, but that was pretty much the end of him.

Six years later, he's still here.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/goaleafs/status/1617674680563036160/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1617674680563036160&currentTweetUser=goaleafs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Finally we know what's behind the vendetta

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Gerblederp posted:

that won’t save them

they'd just be the Angels with one fewer generational talent

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1617515807856291848?t=1xgQtcCFoXo19d2Znm6Y8w&s=19

Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this my team is losing

Forwards $25M
Defense $10M
Depth $4M
Big Guys Who Are Hard To Play Against $50M
Players Who Are Injured $8.25M
Players Who Are Injured Permanently $6M
Players Who Literally Don't Even Play Anymore $2.4M
Not Even Allocated To This Year's Roster -- We Screwed Up And Spent Too Much Last Year (aka bonus overage) $1.2M

Someone who is good at the cap please help me budget this etc etc

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Do the open palm slam next, they both get funnier every tired rehash

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

The way the league is I kinda wonder whether having an Amnesty Clause like the NBA did is a better idea

You get to void one bad contract

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They have already done that!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Do they place him in stasis after every game he plays?

He doesn’t play more than one game a week, if that’s what you’re asking. He’s definitely going to retire at the end of this season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They have already done that!!!

It's been 9 years since the last ones, so it's probably appropriate to allow another round with the cap staying static. If not for the covid restart the CBA would've expired this year and there likely would've been another round of them.

I think maybe one every 4 years per team or something would go a long way to helping the cap crunch on organizations. A penalty free mulligan that allows for some flexibility. Owners probably balk a bit because it's artificially reducing the player's side of HRR but maybe there's a way to tack it onto escrow or something.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

It's been 9 years since the last ones, so it's probably appropriate to allow another round with the cap staying static. If not for the covid restart the CBA would've expired this year and there likely would've been another round of them.

I think maybe one every 4 years per team or something would go a long way to helping the cap crunch on organizations. A penalty free mulligan that allows for some flexibility. Owners probably balk a bit because it's artificially reducing the player's side of HRR but maybe there's a way to tack it onto escrow or something.

That seems to be a quick fix for the problem. It seems really easy to end up in cap hell even with just a few bad 2m AAV contracts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He doesn’t play more than one game a week, if that’s what you’re asking. He’s definitely going to retire at the end of this season.

At least he only has to play until mid April.