Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the vibe does seem to be "otherwise incredibly average C grade game penalized down to a D- because of the phenomenally bad writing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pentyne posted:

The Verge review is semi-positive about the game as an idea but even makes it seem like they ended up rushing Forspoken out the door, just a insanely detailed and complex combat system that boils down to "run in circle, spam the element enemy is weak to" and the last 'boss' is basically just a playable cutscene.

"Game seems unfinished, it's my GOTY" lol

Alfre turns to the camera and says she's a communist, and that she's the exact kind of communist I am

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That makes me wonder.
Are there any good games where the player character is an explicit target of racism or other kind of discrimination?
Preferably in the way that actually affects gameplay, because I'll be honest, nobody NPCs in Skyrim occasionally yelling weak-sauce made-up slurs at you doesn't make me feel anything.

I know Arcanum is one of the games that actually exposes you to reasonably realistic racism if you play as a Gnome or an Orc.
Merchants and Innkeepers will often rip you off and occasional quests will be more annoying to do because you won't be given as much leniency in the high society.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

forspoken being placed into the ballista and fired into the fields of the culture war

the quartering, breadtube, a vtuber, and some guy with a boba fett helmet, all pause their fighting to look up as the shadow grows aroudn them

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the PS5 version of forspoken drops as low as 720p internal resolution in 60fps mode and doesn't even hold 60fps consistently :eyepoop:

the PC port is going to be something to behold

mystes
May 31, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

forspoken being placed into the ballista and fired into the fields of the culture war

the quartering, breadtube, a vtuber, and some guy with a boba fett helmet, all pause their fighting to look up as the shadow grows aroudn them
lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

That makes me wonder.
Are there any good games where the player character is an explicit target of racism or other kind of discrimination?
Preferably in the way that actually affects gameplay, because I'll be honest, nobody NPCs in Skyrim occasionally yelling weak-sauce made-up slurs at you doesn't make me feel anything.

I know Arcanum is one of the games that actually exposes you to reasonably realistic racism if you play as a Gnome or an Orc.
Merchants and Innkeepers will often rip you off and occasional quests will be more annoying to do because you won't be given as much leniency in the high society.
Jagged Alliance 2 had hidden racism and sexism stats for every character that I'm pretty sure aren't actually used in the final game, but I think at least one of the fan-patches uses them to effect team morale.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jack Trades posted:

That makes me wonder.

Watch Dogs 2, in addition to being great, also feels like it was written by people with some experience of being black in America, or good consultants on the matter. It's been a bit since I replayed it so I can't recall how much it actually affects the gameplay, but the game feels genuine in a way GTA, for example, doesn't.

Mafia 3 isn't quite as good, but the first time I walked into a whites only bar and heard "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN HERE BOY" was loving terrifying. It's the only game I've played that went "you're black in the south in the sixities and you're hated and that's how it is".

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

repiv posted:

the PC port is going to be something to behold

Exciting times ahead.

Also currently the top seller on Steam in Japan. And number 2 in Switzerland!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Watch Dogs 2, in addition to being great, also feels like it was written by people with some experience of being black in America, or good consultants on the matter. It's been a bit since I replayed it so I can't recall how much it actually affects the gameplay, but the game feels genuine in a way GTA, for example, doesn't.

Watch Dogs 2 is really good and is one of the extremely few genuinely good games Ubisoft has put out but I don't remember race ever being brought up in that game in any context (besides, I guess, the intro where the black main character is being Minority Report-ed by the Skynet as being a future criminal) and I 100%ed that game and it's DLC.

At least nothing that I noticed as white european myself.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Cowcaster posted:

for all the negative press blowing up about it, it looks like forspoken's sitting at #2 on steam's "top sellers" list.

right behind the harry potter game at #1.

i don't appreciate that.

AAA Marketing budgets are higher than the development budget for a reason.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Jack Trades posted:

Watch Dogs 2 is really good and is one of the extremely few genuinely good games Ubisoft has put out but I don't remember race ever being brought up in that game in any context (besides, I guess, the intro where the black main character is being Minority Report-ed by the Skynet as being a future criminal) and I 100%ed that game and it's DLC.

At least nothing that I noticed as white european myself.
When you go to infiltrate Not Google with your buddy there's a great bit about how everyone else there is white

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Re: Forsaken's place on the Steam Charts (it's fallen down to seventh place btw), it's the first "big game" of the year that I can think of and large titles like that pretty much always end up selling well by default.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

pentyne posted:

The Verge review is semi-positive about the game as an idea but even makes it seem like they ended up rushing Forspoken out the door, just a insanely detailed and complex combat system that boils down to "run in circle, spam the element enemy is weak to" and the last 'boss' is basically just a playable cutscene.

"Game seems unfinished, it's my GOTY" lol

why are they complaining about missing polish, isnt that one of the preorder bonuses?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

for all the negative press blowing up about it, it looks like forspoken's sitting at #2 on steam's "top sellers" list.

right behind the harry potter game at #1.

i don't appreciate that.

We don't live in a meritocracy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You can tell Steam users are people of taste by the multiple threads in that game's forums about just how woke the game is

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

That makes me wonder.

Life is Strange 2 goes super hard on racism against the Hispanic main character.

Which is loving hilarious that they then go extremely soft and have literally 0 transphobic stuff for their trans main character game.

Basically if you're a brown person you'll encounter hostile police who murder your father at the drop of a hat, can expect to get sucker punched in the head and chained to a radiator by a white shop owner who suspects you of stealing, and forced under threat of serious violence to demean yourself by denying your citizenship and saying you are an illegal. Also some white power militia folks will shoot a child with no hesistation.

If you are trans in poo poo poor rural Alaska, everything is 100% cool no one even blinks and the one guy who accidentally makes references to your birth gender is immediately recalcitrant.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 23, 2023

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in other news pizza tower comes out this week, that snuck up on me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kazil posted:

You can tell Steam users are people of taste by the multiple threads in that game's forums about just how woke the game is
like i said, it is a game tailor made to be argued over like ghostbusters 2016 or high guardian spice. i give it a couple of days before the lead actress is harassed by shitheads, while kotaku hurriedly writes a thinkpiece about whether buying the game makes you an ally

avoid this tediousness and play dread templar in a few days

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I finished the campaign of Dusk last night. I mostly enjoyed it. I stopped looking for secrets after the first few levels, and was really just pushing myself to finish the game despite being "over it" halfway through the 3rd episode. I can see people getting really into it but I prefer a boomer FPS with slow movement, I think.

I've got all the other boomer shooters from the humble pack coming up, probably going to just play Elden Ring until Dread Templar gets 1.0 shortly here. Does it draw its main inspiration from Quake, also? I missed out on Quake as a kid, I only had wolfenstein and half life and a little bit of doom for pc shooters.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Cowcaster posted:

in other news pizza tower comes out this week, that snuck up on me

Oh poo poo I'd completely forgotten. Can't believe it's finally happening.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
oh weird the new steamworld is a city builder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yf288cJwFM

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

I said come in! posted:

I really don't get the point the author of this review is trying to make here, or why any of this matters?

You can't just put black people in games willy nilly!!!!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Guy went to the Iowa Writers' Workshop to write this poo poo.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

RandomBlue posted:

You can't just put black people in games willy nilly!!!!

There's only so many of 'em and we don't want to waste them on storylines that aren't adequately Black enough

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You got one bunch of idiots yelling that black people existing is too woke and you've got the other bunch of idiots yelling that black people existing is not woke enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's chasing clout, my friends.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's one thing to just make a black character, and have them thrust into an adventure in a world absent of irl racism, it doesn't really matter but it's little more then ticking a box marked "representation". There's no goal to champion diversity or inclusion or any sense of being woke in the slightest. No one in management gives 2 shits about writing a black character with a black voice, they are perfectly fine just pressing a button for a palette swap and patting themselves on the back for solving the issue.

Think it was Horizon Zero Dawn where some execs flipped out about the game because they didn't believe gamers would play a game with a female PC. Same thing happened with one of the AC's and they had to late stage shove in a male PC option or something.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's a double edged sword, because a character shouldn't have to justify being gay/black/woman/whatever, and it should be a totally unremarkable thing.

On the other hand does it really count as 'representation' if it is a completely meaningless decision that doesn't play into anything?

It's an actual argument and you can take it either direction without it really being 'wrong' to do so.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 23, 2023

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lotta discussion about representation and not enough discussion about hoW I'M TALKING TO A FREAKIN' CUFF?!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Cowcaster posted:

lotta discussion about representation and not enough discussion about hoW I'M TALKING TO A FREAKIN' CUFF?!

I got that side effect from the boner pills too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pentyne posted:

It's one thing to just make a black character, and have them thrust into an adventure in a world absent of irl racism, it doesn't really matter but it's little more then ticking a box marked "representation". There's no goal to champion diversity or inclusion or any sense of being woke in the slightest. No one in management gives 2 shits about writing a black character with a black voice, they are perfectly fine just pressing a button for a palette swap and patting themselves on the back for solving the issue.

Think it was Horizon Zero Dawn where some execs flipped out about the game because they didn't believe gamers would play a game with a female PC. Same thing happened with one of the AC's and they had to late stage shove in a male PC option or something.

I’m going to go out on a limb here with the suggestion that very few minorities that see themselves represented in a fantasy video game want that to carry the baggage of IRL racism. It may just be that ticking the box is what people have been asking for for decades, and re-exposing people to serious real world issues can be left for another game.

It just seems like a completely synthetic remark by the twitter journalist class

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 23, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Agent355 posted:

It's a double edged sword, because a character shouldn't have to justify being gay/black/woman/whatever, and it should be a totally unremarkable thing.

On the other hand does it really count as 'representation' if it is a completely meaningless decision that doesn't play into anything?

pentyne posted:

No one in management gives 2 shits about writing a black character with a black voice, they are perfectly fine just pressing a button for a palette swap and patting themselves on the back for solving the issue.
Once again I remind you that they cast an actual black actress in the role. It's not a palette swap. Try to imagine arguing that a character in a film shouldn't have been black and not coming off like an alt-right dipshit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I was referring to the writing, which as I understand there was not a single black person working on the script.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m going to go out on a limb here with the suggestion that very few minorities that see themselves represented in a fantasy video game want that to carry the baggage of IRL racism. It may just be that ticking the box is what people have been asking for for decades, and re-exposing people to serious real world issues can be left for another game.

It just seems like a completely synthetic remark by the twitter journalist class

Yes, it's fine when the character's race/identity doesn't have any bearing on the game or plot. If they want to brag about that though, then there's a much greater responsibility, which games like Tell Me Why dropped the loving ball on claiming to present a true to life trans experience that has the PC not experience the slightest bit of adversity for being trans.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 23, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

big cummers ONLY posted:

I finished the campaign of Dusk last night. I mostly enjoyed it. I stopped looking for secrets after the first few levels, and was really just pushing myself to finish the game despite being "over it" halfway through the 3rd episode. I can see people getting really into it but I prefer a boomer FPS with slow movement, I think.

I think Dusk shined brightest for me in the first episode (and I think part of the second? What’s the one that you fight in that giant indoor power plant thing?) i *really* loved the Halloween rustbelt aesthetic a lot as well as the pacing that had.

The underworld/hell setting as well as the faster paced combat was something I wasn’t particularly interested in, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When the heck is the AMID EVIL expansion coming out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

the switch port was announced before the expansion and even that still isn't out

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

It was supposed to be out before the end of 2022!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

buglord posted:

I think Dusk shined brightest for me in the first episode (and I think part of the second? What’s the one that you fight in that giant indoor power plant thing?) i *really* loved the Halloween rustbelt aesthetic a lot as well as the pacing that had.

that was late episode 2 i believe and goddamn was that level cool as gently caress with amazing music. i think about it all the time. one of the highest points of a banger of a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfCNfLXnX8c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm finally getting around to playing Deathloop and several hours in I think it's rad. I would understand some frustration coming into the game thinking it's going to be a totally open immersive sim where you can figure out a million different ways to get to each target, but knowing that's not really what it is and looking at it more like a really intricate first-person metroidvania game only instead of abilities unlocking things it is your slowly expanding knowledge of the island (and its many four-digit numbers). My only complaint so far is that I've been "invaded" a couple times and it just really didn't work, with neither of us seeming to be able to actually hit each other. I think it's a neat idea but I think I might turn it off the online mode if it doesn't work well.