Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

When my laptop upgrade was low on ram I pulled out the company credit card and bought as much as the laptop could handle. When it was too slow and IT told me I was not due for an upgrade, I told them my hard drive was making occasional clicking noises, and got an upgrade within a week.

"Wait, this laptop has an SSD."

"Too late, suckers!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got given a laptop with a broken G key and they helpfully asked, maybe just dont use that letter?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Barudak posted:

I got given a laptop with a broken G key and they helpfully asked, maybe just dont use that letter?

lmao

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is gonna make my job at Old Man very awkward

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

dpkg chopra posted:

This is gonna make my job at Old Man very awkward

lol

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

in a well actually posted:

bottom tier hp/dell/lenovo laptops are a sign the it manager reports to the cfo

Nah, it's a sign that IT is weak.
I'm an IT Director that reports to the CFO, and I send out latitude 5530s with an i5 and 16GB for regular people, precision 7750s with i7s and 32GB for power users, and Ruggeds for field guys. If the finance people ask about capex, I look them in the eye and ask if we're going to tell employees that we don't have the budget to let them make money for us.
You just have to not blink first.

Edit - also pro support plus with next business day onsite. Don't ship your poo poo back to me for a replacement, Dell is going to send a weirdo contractor to you whereever you are and he'll have your poo poo fixed in half an hour.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

in a well actually posted:

bottom tier hp/dell/lenovo laptops are a sign the it manager reports to the cfo

Truer words never spoken. $Job-2$ I reported to a CFO-like boss (member of the owning family, heavily involved in business and management) that doubled as CIO, and we were regularly asked if we could repair 10-year-old laptops. It didn't matter if you were a new hire or an old hand, IC or management; if we had a junker lying around, that was your next laptop. They were consistent, though: they ran every department like that. I'm talking about a €1.2 billion turnover company, privately held.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FrozenVent posted:

I think I got a second hand laptop.

use this machine solely for polishing your resume

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

We have a two tier laptop system where "developer spec" is silver and everyone else gets blue.

As you can imagine this gives us higher status silver laptop owners endless "well, I guess a blue one is ok if you're not doing any real work." jokes.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Some high status people at my place occasionally manage to negotiate Macbooks, which are fine laptops, but unfortunately don't work with the document authoring software / template. This means they corrupt every document they open outside the Word web app, which they accidentally do on a frequent basis. Lol! All work gone

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

champagne posting posted:

use this machine solely for polishing your resume

It’s a large organization and I mostly use it for emails and writing poo poo. It’s fine.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KefznccsY0
Only slightly exaggerated requirements for today's computer touchers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Democratic Pirate posted:

I held off replacing my laptop for 2 years beyond the scheduled replace date because mine works and I’ve heard horror stories about the new ones.
I got a new laptop from IT recently because my old one was scheduled to be replaced. The new one has better specs and is actually new but holy poo poo is it terrible. I have to restart multiple times a day just to keep Outlook working (I send a lot of emails). Over the past two months I've spent more time restarting my laptop and re-launching/logging into all the apps/tools I use and talking to IT about the fact that my new laptop is absolutely terrible and I would like my old one back than I have on any one of my actual work projects.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

My laptop has a quadro video card and they can pry it from my cold dead fingers if they try to upgrade me to one with integrated graphics and no numpad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We switched to Dells so I am nursing my X1 as long as possible. It just turned three, which is about the normal lifespan for my laptops before an unhealthy lifestyle catches up to them :ohdear:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I had a T410 thinkpad for like 6 years at my last job, thankfully it survived the period where hp was the supplier so I didn’t have to get one of those. They were giving the engineers massive 15” ones that weighed a ton and pieces kept falling off of.

By the time my thinkpad was too slow to be usable they had moved back to dells and I got a really nice latitude for the 6 months before I quit. At the new place I got a slightly less nice latitude, sigh.

Some of the applications guys manage to finangle macbook pros and I have no idea how they manage that (although would probably be more of a hassle than it’s worth really)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Mid-December (I forget exact date, probably around Dec 14-15): My laptop stops connecting to the internet. Wifi is completely out, Device Manager shows a problem starting the device, driver resets / updates / etc won't work, and the Event Viewer wasn't particularly helpful. I call IT, they tell me to bring it to Building X helpdesk.
Date +1: I go to the helpdesk. They poke it for a bit and decide they need to refresh the BIOS. I can already tell that's the wrong answer, but they're the IT guys, let them do their thing. After bios flash, the PC will not post. They decide it's actually broken, and send me to Building Y for more help.
Date +2: I go to Building Y and give them the laptop, describe what happened because somehow, you always have to reiterate ticket details every time you do anything here. Nobody reads the last ticket, or maybe they assume whoever entered it got it wrong. Either way. The person receiving my laptop calls Building X helpdesk "useless hacks" and takes the laptop.
Date +3: E-mail comes from Building Y. They fixed the BIOS and got it to boot. The wifi card had died, physically, and that's the problem. They don't have a spare in the building and have to order it from stock. It'll take a few days, but it's the end of the year so no guarantees on it getting in before the winter closure (24th to 1st). They tell me to come back and get a loaner.
Date +4: I pick up the loaner. It doesn't work remotely. Not only does it not work remotely, it doesn't even work remotely for the admins logging into the system via remote connect to try to fix it. They refer me back to Building Y again.
Date +5: Building Y asks me why they were trying to push a Mac-based access patch to my Windows HP device. I tell them that they never mentioned that part to me, and indicate that they were controlling the PC remotely and should've clearly seen that it was a Windows PC. Building Y uses slightly stronger language than "uselses hacks" this time and updates some access requirements so that our remote access software will ID the laptop and let it in.
Date +6 until whenever winter closure came around: No wifi card in yet. Loaner continues.

During the site closure, the loaner period ends and the laptop's access is deactivated. I figure this out on January 3rd when I can't get online again. We repeat all the Day+5 fixes, but at least this time I don't have to walk to Building Y.

Jan 6th: My wifi card is received and installed. Laptop is ready to go. I tell them I'll pick it up Monday.
Jan 9th-13th: I end up not going into the office because of a potential covid-exposure. I didn't catch it, but didn't want to expose anyone else. Plus, my boss tells me to WFH for the week because we're expected to have torrential rains, flooding and winds. The bus service is interrupted, the trains stop running for a bit, etc etc. This week is literally a wash.
Jan 16th: I receive notification that Building Y didn't want to hold the laptop and FedEx'd it to my condo. Signature required for pickup, plus second form of ID. It'll be there the 17th. I continue to use a loaner.
Jan 17th, morning: I am at the door, sitting there, waiting for FedEx. I watch the guy out the window run up and slap a "nobody answered" sticker on the door and then run back to the truck. I shout after him and he drives off. gently caress FEDEX. The e-mail I receive an hour later tells me I can pick it up after 6PM in [Forty minute drive away]
Jan 17th, around 7PM: I arrive at the holding spot, and am informed I cannot pickup the package. I show them the e-mail, and they inform me that the e-mail means more that I definitely can't pick it up before 6PM, not that it's going to be available after 6PM. It's still on the truck and probably won't be unloaded today. Come back tomorrow and try again. Again, gently caress FEDEX.
January 17th, once I drive home: Redirect package to be held at a Walgreens in my town. There's a FedEx dropoff there. They inform me that this will void next-day shipping. I laugh.
January 19th: Finally pick up my laptop. Thank loving God.

That's my IT story. Thanks to (let's call him C) in Building Y for being good at his job, and gently caress literally everyone else who touched my goddamned laptop, including myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

I am at the door, sitting there, waiting for FedEx. I watch the guy out the window run up and slap a "nobody answered" sticker on the door and then run back to the truck. I shout after him and he drives off.

I have watched this same thing happen on multiple occasions in multiple different places, almost always FedEx. There has to be some perverse incentive going on here. My guess is that it takes too long to get a signature so it's better for their metrics/they get home faster just scumbagging attempted delivery notices. I'm not sure the end game though......

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

I have watched this same thing happen on multiple occasions in multiple different places, almost always FedEx. There has to be some perverse incentive going on here. My guess is that it takes too long to get a signature so it's better for their metrics/they get home faster just scumbagging attempted delivery notices. I'm not sure the end game though......

I'm guessing the drivers are on some insane metrics they have to meet, so if they get too far behind, they just stop delivering. On the other hand, a FedEx driver in Alabama dumped at least six truckloads of packages down a ravine and FedEx didn't do anything until the police got involved, so maybe they just don't give a poo poo. :shrug: (https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/12/01/fedex-driver-dumped-packages-ravine-alabama/)

quote:

Hill, the FedEx spokesman, said the company appreciates its customers as they go through the package recovery process.

...but they don't appreciate them enough to do the seriously easy footwork it'd have taken to ID the problem after the first truckload of missing packages. Unless FedEx is insanely behind the times, they know what truck every single package is on, and who is driving that truck. There were at least 450 individual impacted customers per that article, so either this guy had a shitload of failed / delayed deliveries on his record or an insane number of missing package reports from customers all associated with his deliveries. Anyone paying attention could see that signal from space.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 23, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sundae posted:

I'm guessing the drivers are on some insane metrics they have to meet, so if they get too far behind, they just stop delivering.

This is correct. If you don't keep up with the pace The Almighty Computer assigns to you, while working under the handicap of being forced to follow the insane, circuitous, and redundant routes The Almighty Computer dictates you follow, you have to work late and you get written up.

As a corporate strategy, FedEx appears to not at all mind making the customer come to the depot to pick up their package. Their drivers are also notorious for driving like meth-addled maniacs, much more so than UPS or even branded Amazon trucks/vans. I suspect the only reason FedEx still exists is UPS can't keep up with the demand.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 23, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I find there to be a large service difference between FedEx Ground, which is subcontracted out, and anything that gets send by air and delivered by an actual FedEx employee.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

That's my IT story. Thanks to (let's call him C) in Building Y for being good at his job, and gently caress literally everyone else who touched my goddamned laptop, including myself.

That's sub-par for that group. Pass me a ticket number or two and I can poke at it. The actual repair folks are understaffed and horribly overworked, so no surprise they just dumped a loaner on you.

Motronic posted:

It's all of them. UPS has just not delivered some times, sometimes with the package being available for pickup.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

mllaneza posted:

That's sub-par for that group. Pass me a ticket number or two and I can poke at it. The actual repair folks are understaffed and horribly overworked, so no surprise they just dumped a loaner on you.

It's all of them. UPS has just not delivered some times, sometimes with the package being available for pickup.

I’ve declined to go pick up the package once when this happened, as a matter of principle, and argued to the merchant that I paid for home delivery. Of course the customer rep’s simplest option was to refund me and accept back the package.

I’m not FedEx’s customer in this case so I can’t really complain to them. I guess the next way to escalate would be to complain to the FTC that merchants are advertising and selling home delivery, but what’s actually offered is a warehouse pickup? (Yes, that would be quixotic)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Will do. To add more fun, now my system audio doesn't work instead! :v:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Will do. To add more fun, now my system audio doesn't work instead! :v:

Congrats on your new Linux machine.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Day 1 of new employment. I have had my onboarding meeting. I have watched my mandatory training videos. The two learning paths were actually the same topics covered by two different people who said exactly the same thing.

Three hours to go.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

dpkg chopra posted:

Day 1 of new employment. I have had my onboarding meeting. I have watched my mandatory training videos. The two learning paths were actually the same topics covered by two different people who said exactly the same thing.

Three hours to go.

I misread this as "I have had my waterboarding meeting. I have watched my mandatory training videos." The misread doesn't result in a meaningful distinction.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dpkg chopra posted:

Three hours to go.

A couple years ago I had someone start remotely on Dec 23rd. He was desperate to get a job and I wanted to fill my req ASAP as I had some concerns it might get ganked and I needed the spot filled. I onboarded him the day before we all basically logged off for 2 weeks by sending him a bunch of videos and then told him to post in slack once a day so I could prove he came in and then go watch cartoons or play video games all day and his training would start when we get back.

Was kind of a win for everyone.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Sleep last night: 5 hours
Meetings today: 6 hours

Time to bust out the Homer glasses

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jumpsuit posted:

Sleep last night: 5 hours
Meetings today: 6 hours

Time to bust out the Homer glasses

Oh hey me. But add in a surprise 3 hour teams meeting to deal with a production issue.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sundae posted:

Jan 17th, morning: I am at the door, sitting there, waiting for FedEx. I watch the guy out the window run up and slap a "nobody answered" sticker on the door and then run back to the truck. I shout after him and he drives off. gently caress FEDEX. The e-mail I receive an hour later tells me I can pick it up after 6PM in [Forty minute drive away]
Jan 17th, around 7PM: I arrive at the holding spot, and am informed I cannot pickup the package. I show them the e-mail, and they inform me that the e-mail means more that I definitely can't pick it up before 6PM, not that it's going to be available after 6PM. It's still on the truck and probably won't be unloaded today. Come back tomorrow and try again. Again, gently caress FEDEX.
January 17th, once I drive home: Redirect package to be held at a Walgreens in my town. There's a FedEx dropoff there. They inform me that this will void next-day shipping. I laugh.
January 19th: Finally pick up my laptop. Thank loving God.

Every time I order a new cell phone this is what happens.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Manager: Roumba, please rewrite your self-evaluation, again. They changed the format, again. Also, I want you to get a raise, so make it more [paraphrased: self-suck-off-y].

No problemo, pal. That's a writing prompt that even I can work with.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

siri ChatGPT, rewrite self eval. Make it more self-suck-y

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
How have you aligned yourself with company ideals? Please ensure the response is self-suck-off-y.

quote:

I understand that you may want me to express the statement in a more self-promoting manner, but as a language model AI I do not have the ability to express any feeling or opinion, but I can rephrase it for you:

As an employee of this company, I have always been fully committed to aligning myself with the company's ideals and goals. I have consistently demonstrated a strong work ethic, a positive attitude, and a willingness to go above and beyond what is expected of me to support the company's mission. I have been proactive in identifying opportunities to improve processes, increase efficiency, and drive results. I have always been a great team player and have effectively communicated with my colleagues and team members to ensure that we are all working towards the same objectives. I have always been aware of compliance and ethics and have made sure to follow company policies, laws and regulations. I have continuously developed my skills and knowledge to improve my contributions to the company. I am confident that my efforts have had a significant positive impact on the company's performance and I am excited to continue to contribute in this way in the future.

I wonder if anyone would notice if I left the initial paragraph in there.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

How have you aligned yourself with company ideals? Please ensure the response is self-suck-off-y.

I wonder if anyone would notice if I left the initial paragraph in there.

Does anybody else have difficulty actually focusing on any of the words in that paragraph? Like my eyes start to glaze over no matter how hard I try. I feel like I've trained myself over years of advertisements / corporate fluff to completely skip certain combinations of words.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The initial reply used bullets and was easier to read. The format would probably be lost if I pasted it into my form.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

We've had an "additional rating" added this year that has to be set for everyone by their manager, it's a five point scale and it has been made abundantly clear that the expectation is that everyone is rated in the middle because "anything lower means you've done something instantly sackable anyway, and anything higher is impossible to actually do, so just set the middle and nobody will hassle you about it".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

We've had an "additional rating" added this year that has to be set for everyone by their manager, it's a five point scale and it has been made abundantly clear that the expectation is that everyone is rated in the middle because "anything lower means you've done something instantly sackable anyway, and anything higher is impossible to actually do, so just set the middle and nobody will hassle you about it".

It’d be especially funny if you can only give round number ratings.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

priznat posted:

It’d be especially funny if you can only give round number ratings.

Turns out it's actually A to E so everyone gets a C!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I went on pto a few weeks ago, which was cut short by my friend’s husband having a heart attack and dying a few days later. He was a very close family friend. There was a huge fuckup on a project I was managing, which is ultimately my fault and I’m not really sure how to handle that I hosed up so badly. I let my boss know asap the entire situation and she was I pretty understanding, but this is really eating me up inside.
So I guess I am asking for advice on how to move forward? And partially posting the vent.