Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
The four year old was super excited about his new big boy undies…and then subsequently soaked them and his pants :/ My partner is at his wits end.

He also is so excited about his big boy loft bed, which has a SLIDE! But the times I’ve stayed over since then, he’s slept there for approximately two hours before relocating to the couch or trying to cuddle with daddy.

I’m in a supportive but not parental role, so there’s not much I can do besides reinforce positive behaviors in my own way, I guess. He did want me to read him TWO books yesterday and then said he loved me, so that was very sweet. He also has reached a level of comfort with me that he’s been trying to roughhouse and climb on me like he does with his dad 😅 we’ve had to have some little talks about boundaries and poo poo.

Anyway…anyone who has insights/advice when it come to dating single parents…

I’ve considered maybe not sleeping over for at least a few weekend while the kiddo gets acclimated to his new sleeping arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My recently turned 8 year old has entered the sensitive, rebellious and expressive phase over the last few months. Kid has more energy than we have time to give it and is super high energy. 3 hours outside in this cold weather and she wants more. 2 hours of school and the same. Meanwhile if she doesn't get the energy out outside she's physical with me and is very much hitting and crying and yelling all the time. Clearly seems like stress. Kid is still around 70% height and 90% weight pretty much from birth, so she's a tall big kid. Up to my wife's shoulders already.

It's balanced with amazing acts of kindness and loving as well as intelligence (scholastic and emotional).

We're trying to keep calm throughout and say "we don't do this" when she ignores boundaries and tries to force me to play with her (roughhousing into even punching pinching etc which goes too far) - even when I try to redirect. I know it's trying on my wife's patience as much as my own as we constantly try to stay calm. Is 8 just extra difficult?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

notwithoutmyanus posted:

We're trying to keep calm throughout and say "we don't do this" when she ignores boundaries and tries to force me to play with her (roughhousing into even punching pinching etc which goes too far) - even when I try to redirect. I know it's trying on my wife's patience as much as my own as we constantly try to stay calm. Is 8 just extra difficult?

I'm kind of in the same boat recently for my 7 year old daughter, almost 8. She's 99 percentile in height, and loves to just jump on my back, or climb me like a tree, which is okay if I'm expecting it, but she's getting big enough to topple me if I'm not expecting it.

It's absolutely okay to not be calm in this situation, especially to an 8 year old. I don't want to model being passive about physical boundaries with my kids. I've said (and yelled) "this is my body, not yours," "you need to ask permission to do something like that to my body," and "I've said NO, and no means no!" Showing a child when it's appropriate to be angry (or sad, or disappointed, etc) is good parenting; unless a parent cannot regulate their emotion and just rages.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Muir posted:

Does the rate of illness get better in kindergarten? If so, why, are they just putting stuff in their mouths less?

That, but mostly I think it’s that by
kindergarten they’ve had most types of virus. There are only so many adenoviruses and they eventually develop some amount of immunity to them.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I was pillowfighting my four year old (her idea) and she could tell I was playfighting so she asked me to take it seriously. First I showed her how to block, then I teed off on her with a throwpillow. We were both nearly sick from laughing. I love her so much.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Surprise food hit of the day: dried teriyaki seaweed. Huh. Ok.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my wife is clipping our daughters (7 weeks old) nails and the poor baby sounds so upset, crying inconsolably. feel bad for her but it has to be done! babies love scratching themselves.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
We always clip nails during feeds when the baby is distracted. It only turned to cries for us when we hosed up and clipped some skin.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Putting toddler in a full body press while wife clips the one unrestrained hand.

Setting up meditative cave bedroom atmosphere with soft lighting, healing music, and breast milk to create perfect conditions for newborn clipping.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

theratking posted:

It only turned to cries for us when we hosed up and clipped some skin.

I did that the very first time I went to cut my daughter's nails because she was fussing so much. Worst feeling ever.

Needless to say, didn't set a good tone for future clippings. Mommy took over exclusively for a bit there. Like, two years...?

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

We used a nail file until his fingers got big enough where I felt like I could actually clip without taking off his finger tips.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

get them while they're sleeping

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
2 year old at the trampoline park: fearless and invincible

Dad at the trampoline park: terrified and sprained both ankles within 10 minutes

:dumbbravo:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What's the strangest toddler food combo you've encountered?

Dinner tonight invoked mango dipped in mustard.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Probably not weird in taste profile, but applesauce mixed with yogurt is a disgusting color, and very hard to clean once dried onto a surface

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Blueberries dipped in ketchup

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
For nails, we've got this baby nail dremel thing for our 16 month old that works OK and has an auto stop so it isn't going to snip her skin. Probably going to bring it to the hospital for the new baby too, I remember we wished we'd had something with us after the toddler was born with her little claws.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Skittles dipped in ketchup.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ketchup is popular. My nephew rolled his cone of soft-serve in ketchup and fries one time and ate it all

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Emily Spinach posted:

For nails, we've got this baby nail dremel thing for our 16 month old that works OK and has an auto stop so it isn't going to snip her skin. Probably going to bring it to the hospital for the new baby too, I remember we wished we'd had something with us after the toddler was born with her little claws.

We had one of those too! It seemed to work well - during feedings he didn't really care about it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I had some Big Feelings converting the crib to the toddler bed today :( Bed time seemed to go ok though. At one point the little guy got out of bed and picked up a package of wipes and then pondered it for about five minutes. Then he got out of bed, gently placed the wipes back where they were, and went back to bed to sleep :iiam:

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Ranch dressing drizzled onto white rice.

A handful of white rice absolutely drenched with ranch dressing.

Scoops of pure raw ranch dressing directly into your mouth.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Vegemite on banana muffins

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That, but mostly I think it’s that by
kindergarten they’ve had most types of virus. There are only so many adenoviruses and they eventually develop some amount of immunity to them.

And then you hit school, and it's headlice and pinworm time!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shifty Pony posted:

What's the strangest toddler food combo you've encountered?

Alternating her kiwi with her chicken/pasta with bechamel sauce.

For 'we'll never get that off the wall', I see the applesauce/yoghurt combo and raise with split pea soup.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Guildencrantz posted:

My absurdly well-behaved 3-year-old is becoming incredibly sensitive to criticism and, uh, guilt if that's a developmentally appropriate term. Very rarely are there tantrums over wanting or not wanting something, but she has a meltdown whenever she's significantly scolded or gets any strong negative response. To the point where if she accidentally hurts me and I cry out in pain or surprise, I instantly have an inconsolably wailing child on my hands (how are you the victim here, kid).

I feel this and her generally super agreeable attitude are connected. Like she has this almost neurotic need to be a Good Girl 100% of the time, even though we pretty much never seriously punish her and show plenty of affection and positive reinforcement. In preschool she reportedly never misbehaves, but shows a lot of concern with being liked by her peers. Maybe this is dumb, but I'm kinda worrying about this people-pleaser personality, I don't want her to be a doormat! I thought three-year-olds were supposed to be a handful, and all the other ones I hear of are much more wilful and assertive. Is this a normal developmental stage that she's just reaching early, or something to look into?

I’ve never dealt with this age before, so take everything with a grain of salt. I would, however, keep a weather eye out for any other signs of anxiety.

I’m a fan of Eli Lebowitz’s book “Breaking Free of Child Anxiety and OCD: A Scientifically Proven Program for Parents” if this rings true. Most of the things he puts forward are good parenting strategies for any kid with anxious or perfectionist tendencies, not only ones who meet a clinical threshold.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
My daughter went through a phase like this at around the same age. If we told her she'd done something wrong she would go hide under the dining room table and be inconsolable for about 30 minutes. It happened at school too. It lasted maybe 6 months? She's almost 5 now and it hasn't been a problem for a while. Mostly we just focused on reinforcing that we always love her and everyone makes mistakes.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I am unsure whether we were drastically underpaying for childcare before or if new places are just loving charging more. We looked at a place today that, while loving amazing (yoga, dual language, gardening, snacks included, literally has a "kids struggling with potty training but too advanced for toddlers" class), costs $500+ more a month. That's almost a 50% increase.

Engineer Lenk posted:

I’ve never dealt with this age before, so take everything with a grain of salt. I would, however, keep a weather eye out for any other signs of anxiety.

I’m a fan of Eli Lebowitz’s book “Breaking Free of Child Anxiety and OCD: A Scientifically Proven Program for Parents” if this rings true. Most of the things he puts forward are good parenting strategies for any kid with anxious or perfectionist tendencies, not only ones who meet a clinical threshold.

Huh. I'll look into that one myself since our 6yo's perfectionist streak has involved self harm lately. Including her hiding it from her teacher but her friend noticing and having the wherewithall to let us know.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Conversation as I picked up my 25 month old daughter from daycare:

:riker: How did it go today?
:eng101: Good. We've been drawing on the whiteboard together the past few minutes. She is struggling a bit to grasp that not everything you draw with is a "crayon"... I'll show you. Sweetie, what are you drawing with?
:chloe: Cyan.
:eng101: No. It's not a crayon. MARKER. It's a blue MARKER.
:chloe: NO. CYAN.
:eng99: Do you see what I mean?

It was, of course, a cyan marker.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, gently caress that teacher. Your kid got it right enough.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

citybeatnik posted:

I am unsure whether we were drastically underpaying for childcare before or if new places are just loving charging more. We looked at a place today that, while loving amazing (yoga, dual language, gardening, snacks included, literally has a "kids struggling with potty training but too advanced for toddlers" class), costs $500+ more a month. That's almost a 50% increase.

Huh. I'll look into that one myself since our 6yo's perfectionist streak has involved self harm lately. Including her hiding it from her teacher but her friend noticing and having the wherewithall to let us know.

You're in Austin right?

We pay $990/month for full time off of Far West, but it is a more traditional class structure and a distinct lack of yoga and gardening.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shifty Pony posted:

You're in Austin right?

We pay $990/month for full time off of Far West, but it is a more traditional class structure and a distinct lack of yoga and gardening.

Yeah, pflugerville to be specific.

His current Montessori is 875 for his age group, 7a-5p. Classes start at 8.30 but they do early drop off. No yoga there either, snacks not provided, and they're being patoots re the potty training that i mentioned last week.

This one has a spot open for him next week. But holy gently caress does $500 more a month change things. Plus a uniform shirt but that's just the frosting on top.

Little dude's loving 3, he doesn't need the da vinci system or whatever. Although the mental image of my ogre of an offspring tearing rear end through the yoga class as he wrecks holy hell is hilarious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sometimes you just need half an hour or more in the tub with two differently-sized cups.

If anyone else tries to convince you otherwise, they're wrong. Express this to them.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Read "Are you my mother?" to my daughter last night and now she won't stop calling my wife "mother!" in a trollish fashion.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gotta get them out before they realize the bathtub is a larger third cup.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was legitimately stunned by how much daycare cost in and around DC when I was living there. IIRC, it has some of, if not the, highest childcare costs in the nation and for even basic home daycare we were looking at thousands of dollars a month for just "ok" facilities.

It's definitely much lower here in Providence and we are at a stellar daycare facility with top marks and fancy poo poo and we are paying a third of the cost these days.

Just the worst loving system

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

citybeatnik posted:

Yeah, pflugerville to be specific.

His current Montessori is 875 for his age group, 7a-5p. Classes start at 8.30 but they do early drop off. No yoga there either, snacks not provided, and they're being patoots re the potty training that i mentioned last week.

This one has a spot open for him next week. But holy gently caress does $500 more a month change things. Plus a uniform shirt but that's just the frosting on top.

Little dude's loving 3, he doesn't need the da vinci system or whatever. Although the mental image of my ogre of an offspring tearing rear end through the yoga class as he wrecks holy hell is hilarious.

Our Montessori is $1019/month ($835 for 0830-1430, $184 for aftercare) for 2 days a week, 0830-1630. Snacks are provided, but not lunch.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Good soup! posted:

I was legitimately stunned by how much daycare cost in and around DC when I was living there. IIRC, it has some of, if not the, highest childcare costs in the nation and for even basic home daycare we were looking at thousands of dollars a month for just "ok" facilities.

It's definitely much lower here in Providence and we are at a stellar daycare facility with top marks and fancy poo poo and we are paying a third of the cost these days.

Just the worst loving system

i have a friend who lives in DC and he told me that when he found a daycare that was "only" 1200/month and like right around the corner from his apartment he started crying from relief. shits insane.

my daughter is gonna start daycare in march and i am very powerfully not looking forward to the extra 950 it's gonna cost us. and this is one of the cheaper places we looked at. people say texas has low cost of living and im just like lol sure it does.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
$600 / month here for 5 days a week, in the middle of coal country southern West Virginia. Breakfast / lunch / snack included. Probably the lowest it'll go for this thread... This is a crazy economically depressed area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
We've been working on how to be mad/frustrated with my 2 1/2 year old and what she's settled into is that if she's mad, she's allowed to be mad and run into another room to lay down for a bit by herself. We let her know we're in the area if she needs us but she also tends to yell if we get too close. She does that for like, 2 minutes and is usually good.

She doesn't do this all the time obviously but it has been nice for her to have an outlet she knows about to prevent some minor things from becoming major things.