Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

avoraciopoctules posted:

I've been taking my time with Fire Emblem: Engage, but I'm enjoying it so far. On Hard/Casual, I started having a really good time with the tactical gameplay around chapter 5. Just finished the first paralogue and started my first skirmish, only to discover that I was probably going to have to actually think a bit about my unit placement, since I REALLY should have put a sword unit and a mage on the second placement group.

The stuff in the intro movie with evil-looking all-red-hair Alear was setting me up to think that they are going for the KOTOR twist where you were a big bad dark lord originally, and Dragon Mom was gaslighting you onto Team Hero. This was furthered by the flashback and how she could make Corrupted that were basically interchangeable with the zombie mobs. Alas, she got punked pretty early, and I suspect the writers have something a little different in mind.

Whether this turns out to be Fire Emblem Shadow The Hedgehog or not, I'm really liking the new differentiation between units. I have a lot more reason to care about my brigand and armor goons, and I think I agree with the reviews that say Engage is elevating the tactical combat. First few supports I saw were mostly boring, but Framme has gotten some excellent lines.
the plot really isnt subtle about foreshadowing, i will be surprised if they dont have a twist where you're the fell dragon's kid and lumera spent 1000 years filling you with divine juice to make you into her own kid for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

Panette is the real crit machine, I'm impressed by her. Hovering around 70% without supports atm.

Yeah I absolutely love her. Fantastic design, incredible unit, fun character.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

the plot really isnt subtle about foreshadowing, i will be surprised if they dont have a twist where you're the fell dragon's kid and lumera spent 1000 years filling you with divine juice to make you into her own kid for whatever reason

Late game speculation:
I just guessed Lumera and the Fell Dragon had a fling, hence the Switch hair.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is it even possible to rescue that second house that gets immediately torched in chapter 14?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm trying to decide if there's a real merit to mage knight on maddening or if all sages all the way is the approach. The passive is pretty useful, getting levin swords and flame spears is easy and gives your mages powerful break access, and +1 mov is always nice, but losing a couple of points of base mag, the mystical archetype, and staff access is a loving killer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there any particular reason to go Swordmaster over Hero? Brave Assist and access to a second weapon type seems really valuable, though I'm not sure if it's worth the second seal to reclass Kagetsu for those benefits. (I'd lose the sick crit animation too.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Is there any particular reason to go Swordmaster over Hero? Brave Assist and access to a second weapon type seems really valuable, though I'm not sure if it's worth the second seal to reclass Kagetsu for those benefits. (I'd lose the sick crit animation too.)

Swordmaster has S rank Swords natively and some better caps, particularly in Speed. Kind of a preference tradeoff especially as you get more Emblems and have the ability to slap them on people to cover extra weapon types for breaks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Harrow posted:

Hero looks awful, whack rear end cape

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kanos posted:

I'm trying to decide if there's a real merit to mage knight on maddening or if all sages all the way is the approach. The passive is pretty useful, getting levin swords and flame spears is easy and gives your mages powerful break access, and +1 mov is always nice, but losing a couple of points of base mag, the mystical archetype, and staff access is a loving killer.

Mystical is the most situational of the unit types imo so it mostly comes down to more move or staves. Staves are probably too good to pass up, though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kanos posted:

Mage knight should theoretically work on like Anna, where her Magic growth is absolutely monstrous but her base is terrible and she's coming to you with axe proficiency anyway.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You don't have to do it all at once; the DLC has multiple chapters, and each chapter unlocks stuff in the main campaign. I think you only have to beat the first chapter to access the new side area in the monastary, which you wanna do early. The classes probably require the whole side story to be cleared, but the big money is the intermediate unlocks; recruitable characters. You wanna get them in your class before chapter 11 at the very latest.

Ah, thanks for mentioning this. I'm in...I think the 4th or 5th month. So I probably want to do stuff sooner rather than later.

I plan on doing at least one more playthrough, though, so there's still that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

this game seems to have enemy stats where "overkill" speed isn't actually overkill

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Natural 20 posted:

Mage knight should theoretically work on like Anna, where her Magic growth is absolutely monstrous but her base is terrible and she's coming to you with axe proficiency anyway.

I would like to state I strongly recommend against specifically axe mage knight Anna. I went into it because it made sense, but the magic axe is utterly awful on Anna because it's a Smash-type weapon and Anna is made of paper. She'd be MUCH better off as a sword or lance mage knight, if you go that route.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The royal sisters have access to unique flying classes and both have good passives. Ivy is probably going to be your strongest offensive mage out of the gate with S rank tomes. Hortensia gets +1 range on all heals, B tomes and S rank staff access - Nodus: fills all party engage meters. Celine falls off because her Vidame class has hybrid growth so you would want to move her toward Sage instead.

Staff usage is important on Maddening for chokepoints or stopping bosses from using their emblem skills.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

FrickenMoron posted:

Panette is the real crit machine, I'm impressed by her. Hovering around 70% without supports atm.

Slap Ike on her and you can get to some absurd levels of crit. Panette is awesome and I love her so much. Mine got Build 3 levels in a row, which is enough to guarantee a place on my team.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I would like to state I strongly recommend against specifically axe mage knight Anna. I went into it because it made sense, but the magic axe is utterly awful on Anna because it's a Smash-type weapon and Anna is made of paper. She'd be MUCH better off as a sword or lance mage knight, if you go that route.

Oof I'd not got it yet so I was hoping it was at least somewhat viable.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gyoru posted:

The royal sisters have access to unique flying classes and both have good passives. Ivy is probably going to be your strongest offensive mage out of the gate with S rank tomes. Hortensia gets +1 range on all heals, B tomes and S rank staff access - Nodus: fills all party engage meters. Celine falls off because her Vidame class has hybrid growth so you would want to move her toward Sage instead.

Staff usage is important on Maddening for chokepoints or stopping bosses from using their emblem skills.

Celine is a good Levin Sword user on Hard but I doubt she can remain viable on Maddening. I feel like her comically unnecessarily massive Luck growth is useful for something, but I dunno what.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah the magic axe loving sucks on maddening, none of the characters who would want to use it can actually make use of it because they can't survive using it. Levin sword and flame lance are actually good and usable for nerds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want anna to use a magic weapon the magic bow is really good

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Of the three melee magic weapons, Levin Sword is by far the best. It's statistically better in every category than Flame Lance, available earlier, and breaking axes is going to be generally more useful on a 1-2 range mage for avoiding counter attacks than breaking swords. Hurricane Axe can murder fliers real good, I guess, but a forged Elwind tome does that well enough already.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think mystical is that special or amazing because casters have access to the tome that literally can't miss.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Celine is a good Levin Sword user on Hard but I doubt she can remain viable on Maddening. I feel like her comically unnecessarily massive Luck growth is useful for something, but I dunno what.

I mean I'm only on chapter 8 Maddening.

But that poo poo loving rules.

2 Range axe breaking for gigantic amounts of damage.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I wanted to use Ivy. I wanted to like Ivy. However, she literally got only 2-3 stat level ups every single time I gave her a level and I could not in good faith award that nonsense.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

When it comes to bld and weapon tiers, is there a list of like what level of bld you'd wanna tier up to the next weapon rank with?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Use heavier weapons when they do more damage than lighter ones, either because you're doubling in both or not doubling in either

Its not really just bld tiers

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It varies by weapon, but it's not difficult to figure out, if a bit unnecessarily obscured within the UI. For each point of Wt a weapon has above your characters Bld, you lose one point of effective speed while using that weapon.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tae posted:

I don't think mystical is that special or amazing because casters have access to the tome that literally can't miss.

The Surge line is 1 range though. The other thing to consider is that Engages give different bonuses to different unit types. Byleth, for example, only gives Thyrsus to Mystical types.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

WrightOfWay posted:

Of the three melee magic weapons, Levin Sword is by far the best. It's statistically better in every category than Flame Lance, available earlier, and breaking axes is going to be generally more useful on a 1-2 range mage for avoiding counter attacks than breaking swords. Hurricane Axe can murder fliers real good, I guess, but a forged Elwind tome does that well enough already.

Levin Sword and Flame Lance are available at exactly the same point, the chapter you unlock Forging. Should even take the same amount of resources.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Am I correct in feeling like some of the non-student characters in Three Houses are worse due to the whole "having very few supports" thing? Or does the buff from being near a high support character not matter much?

I have Anna from some DLC (who I've been using just because I haven't been able to recruit anyone yet), and it seems like she'll always be a bit weaker due to having no supports.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anna is a really bad unit but the supports are the least of her problems.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

Am I correct in feeling like some of the non-student characters in Three Houses are worse due to the whole "having very few supports" thing? Or does the buff from being near a high support character not matter much?

I have Anna from some DLC (who I've been using just because I haven't been able to recruit anyone yet), and it seems like she'll always be a bit weaker due to having no supports.

I haven't crunched the numbers on support bonuses, but purely in my subjective experience, Catherine and Shamir are useful and strong units in their niches, Seteth is good due to having a wyvern and the 'hit twice' lance art, and the others are strictly worse at their niches than your students.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Manuela learns warp and you can never have too much warp

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Late game speculation:
I just guessed Lumera and the Fell Dragon had a fling, hence the Switch hair.
my speculation is that either Lumera and Sombron are bitter exes and Lumera took Alear in the divorce, which means the toothpaste hair comes naturally, OR, Alear was purely Fell Dragon in the past and the two-toned hair is the result of Lumera slowly converting her to Divine Dragon. She just woke up before it was finished, whoops. I'm leaning towards the latter for two reasons: we've seen Pure Red Alear twice - both in the intro and in the dream sequence - but no Pure Blue Alear. The second reason is that it also explains why Marth's reaction to Alear asking about their past is "Uh... you were... kind. Yeah. Very nice and kind and non-evil. Like you are now!" - which would make sense if pre-sleepytime Alear was a force of destruction and chaos - he doesn't have much else to go off of so he's just ad libbing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blaziken386 posted:

my speculation is that either Lumera and Sombron are bitter exes and Lumera took Alear in the divorce, which means the toothpaste hair comes naturally, OR, Alear was purely Fell Dragon in the past and the two-toned hair is the result of Lumera slowly converting her to Divine Dragon. She just woke up before it was finished, whoops. I'm leaning towards the latter for two reasons: we've seen Pure Red Alear twice - both in the intro and in the dream sequence - but no Pure Blue Alear. The second reason is that it also explains why Marth's reaction to Alear asking about their past is "Uh... you were... kind. Yeah. Very nice and kind and non-evil. Like you are now!" - which would make sense if pre-sleepytime Alear was a force of destruction and chaos - he doesn't have much else to go off of so he's just ad libbing.

I think its definitely going to be whatever Veyle's deal is where they had two personalities unaware of the other, one good and one evil.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Extremely cowardly that Alear can only wear the emblem costumes of characters of the same sex. It's particularly dumb that male Alear can't wear Lucina's clothes since, like, her whole thing in Awakening for a while there was pretending to be a guy while wearing that outfit. :colbert:

Chapter 15 spoilers: I was pleasantly surprised that Alear is just not having it with Veyle's multiple personality thing and is in full on "gently caress you and die" mode after everything she's done to them. I hope the game continues this thread of Alear - while still a good person trying to do the right thing - becoming more cynical and ruthless after all the poo poo that went down at the cathedral.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Ytlaya posted:

That’s an Anna problem— the adults from the base game all have plenty of supports. They’ll probably have fewer available than your students, but they still have some.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

do you think they made Sigurd absolutely busted on purpose to hype him up for when they do a FE4 remake?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Honestly Sigurd is like the least exciting emblem. Like, sure, he's good because more movement is always good, but he's not an interesting kind of good.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just recruited Anna and her starting statline is kinda... oof? Like all she has is HP and a strength stat that could be a lot better given how often she's gonna get doubled. Boucheron is not running so hot either, Not feeling confident about my axing division. Victor's okay but I think he's coming to his sell by date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

okay i am now genuinely mad

I scanned in two fire emblem amiibo the other day, and each one gave me an outfit and music ticket. "this is neat" i thought, "it's annoying that they would lock this mechanic behind amiibo in the first place, but that just makes it a daily thing. I'll just unlock Micaiah and Celica's outfits for now, and unlock the other ones when they become available."

HAHA. FUNNY JOKE.

because I scanned in those same amiibo tags today, and I got: 1x relay ticket, 1x potato

you get one outfit ticket per amiibo. want to unlock all the outfits? gently caress you, you need all twelve.