Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my grandparents had GORGAR, it owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blJ6Ta_lPO8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is my favorite game. The puck does some crazy stupid poo poo and it just makes me cackle

flavor.flv posted:

Oh you might have been right. Unscrupulous arcade owners used to replace the balls with heavier ones to make people lose faster. Collectors hate their guts because it almost always hosed up the internals in a way that is fiddly and expensive to fix

Possibly, but the likelihood is I've got brain stupids. The technicians at the museum would definitely make sure the game was 100% up to spec, I met the team during a class about museum collections and they're... fastidious, to say the least.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Jan 24, 2023

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

why not simply get more than one?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The gunshot sound effects in Paper Planes are actually taken from Street Fighter, according to Diplo. The cocking sound effect is a single-action revolver, probably a Colt SAA, from a Hollywood Edge SFX library.

flavor.flv posted:

Unscrupulous arcade owners used to replace the balls with heavier ones to make people lose faster. Collectors hate their guts because it almost always hosed up the internals in a way that is fiddly and expensive to fix

The easier way to do this, FWIR, is to just jack up the rear legs of the table so the ball drains down the playfield faster. Both ways will cause more wear & tear to the machines than their spec. Most here ITT probably know this, but to the uninitiated it's often a surprise how much regular maintenance goes into mechanical arcade games. They get beaten up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Street Fighter the movie?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

apatheticman posted:

why not simply get more than one?

they only gave them the one.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Mister Speaker posted:

The gunshot sound effects in Paper Planes are actually taken from Street Fighter, according to Diplo. The cocking sound effect is a single-action revolver, probably a Colt SAA, from a Hollywood Edge SFX library.

The easier way to do this, FWIR, is to just jack up the rear legs of the table so the ball drains down the playfield faster. Both ways will cause more wear & tear to the machines than their spec. Most here ITT probably know this, but to the uninitiated it's often a surprise how much regular maintenance goes into mechanical arcade games. They get beaten up.

If any of you ever get a chance to see the internals of a disassembled pinball machine check it out. poo poo's insane. Like wires of exact the right length to provide the desired effect, millions of tiny switches, etc.

Maintaining them is the work of crazy people.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Brawnfire posted:

This is my favorite game. The puck does some crazy stupid poo poo and it just makes me cackle

Possibly, but the likelihood is I've got brain stupids. The technicians at the museum would definitely make sure the game was 100% up to spec, I met the team during a class about museum collections and they're... fastidious, to say the least.

holy poo poo it does instant replay goal cams: nm it's just little cgi videos but still cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwN2ILbGAsg&t=749s

e, this guy modded his to do replay cams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eTivGjYSBc&t=947s

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Jan 24, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

If any of you ever get a chance to see the internals of a disassembled pinball machine check it out. poo poo's insane. Like wires of exact the right length to provide the desired effect, millions of tiny switches, etc.

It is very interesting but I worked on and maintained them as a kid probably more than anyone else at home. I repaired some messed up bumpers and unstuck some parts, etc. Nothing crazy.

Also to give ourselves credits we would pop open the door and flick the little wire that quarters would usually push down. Give yourself four or five games and go. We also had spare balls but we didn’t dare take them out of their little spare ball shelves for fear of losing them. The tilt mechanism was a little metal pendulum that hosed your game if it touched the sides of its little bracket. If you put tape or something in between the sides and the pendulum it couldn’t go off if you got too rowdy hitting the flippers. I also hid stuff inside the machines as one of my favorite stash spots since no one else opened them very often other than to poke the quarter slot for credits. I’m sure there’s still a pinball machine with my bad report card in it somewhere.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

I restored two pinball machines that my boss had purchased. Spaghetti wiring doesn't even begin to describe the whores I have seen. Whoever designed some of these machines were psychopaths. The older one all of the wires were one color. All of them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

homonyms will get ya.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

CainFortea posted:

Spaghetti wiring doesn't even begin to describe the whores I have seen.

I mean ... do continue :suspense:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

null_pointer posted:

I mean ... do continue :suspense:

Autocorrect doesn't understand the pronunciation of horrors. But I'm going to leave it cuz it's funny

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

We bought a new pinball machine for one of our offices and I’m pretty sure it’s broken more often than it’s available to play on.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CainFortea posted:

I restored two pinball machines that my boss had purchased. Spaghetti wiring doesn't even begin to describe the whores I have seen. Whoever designed some of these machines were psychopaths. The older one all of the wires were one color. All of them.

That'll learn you to try and steal their Pinball SecretsTM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

weh

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Mister Speaker posted:

When I first heard the song I immediately recognized the sound effect from Fallout 1 and 2.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

always imagined his dick smells like garlic

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

always imagined his dick smells like garlic

Please give more detail about waluigi’s dick precisely as you have taken time to envision it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

freeedr posted:

Please give more detail about waluigi’s dick precisely as you have taken time to envision it

Do you think Yoshi gets embarassed when he lays an egg?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

freeedr posted:

his balls and the head of his dick look like bulbs of garlic

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Still cant take poo poo without the fear of a trex busin down my door

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

his balls and the head of his dick look like bulbs of garlic

Yeah, duh, we already established his SO is the worlds absolute luckiest girl.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Crow posted:

Still cant take poo poo without the fear of a trex busin down my door

Why, are you a lawyer?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Speaking of which the balls in the Terminator 2 pinball game are fuckoff huge, I've never seen a pinball game with balls that big, what's the deal

I forget where I’d first heard/read about it but there was a table called Hercules that was 8’x7’x3.5’ and had what was essentially billiard balls at play. It was developed by Bally, but they were having trouble keeping it from destroying itself with vibration, so Atari bought the concept and somehow made it work. However, it wasn’t very successful and not many machines were made.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Wario is the one obsessed with eating garlic, Waluigi never touches the stuff

This does not disprove the notion that his dick smells like garlic. If anything, it reinforces the idea

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I forget where I’d first heard/read about it but there was a table called Hercules that was 8’x7’x3.5’ and had what was essentially billiard balls at play. It was developed by Bally, but they were having trouble keeping it from destroying itself with vibration, so Atari bought the concept and somehow made it work. However, it wasn’t very successful and not many machines were made.

That's so badass!

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Brawnfire posted:

That's so badass!

https://www.museumofplay.org/blog/hercules-the-pinball-legend/
that's a hefty boy

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3CMnc5Jp0&t=29s

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Pinball in slow motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmg5WOvPKpU

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

DontMockMySmock posted:

When I first heard the song I immediately recognized the sound effect from Fallout 1 and 2.

If you mean the gunshot, then I'm pretty sure that's not it. If you mean the cocking sound effect, then that might be for reloading.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Me on my ebike: lol hills what hills

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:negative:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SensibleChuckle.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

wtf ozzy's not dead