Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hellioning posted:

Honestly Sigurd is like the least exciting emblem. Like, sure, he's good because more movement is always good, but he's not an interesting kind of good.

Idk I think it’s exciting to zoom halfway across the map and bulldoze a line of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ROFL Octopus posted:

Idk I think it’s exciting to zoom halfway across the map and bulldoze a line of enemies.

You have to line them up for that, though, and I have never had a situation where that happened.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Augus posted:

do you think they made Sigurd absolutely busted on purpose to hype him up for when they do a FE4 remake?

I mean in FE4 Sigurd is kinda extremely good with the now well known twist that he bites it part way through and then his son starts a lot weaker.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hellioning posted:

You have to line them up for that, though, and I have never had a situation where that happened.

I've had several!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Caidin posted:

I just recruited Anna and her starting statline is kinda... oof? Like all she has is HP and a strength stat that could be a lot better given how often she's gonna get doubled. Boucheron is not running so hot either, Not feeling confident about my axing division. Victor's okay but I think he's coming to his sell by date.

Anna is secretly a mage. She has the highest natural Magic growth in the game but pretty low Strength growth. Second Seal her to Mage when you get a chance and she'll be really strong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/10jp0gf/psa_buy_the_lowertier_skills_in_engage_it_makes/

according to this, higher tier skills get discounted if you buy the lower tier so there's literally no reason not to buy the lower tier skill if you eventually are going to buy the highest tier.

Basically, get the benefit from speed 1 for cheap because it won't affect your ability to purchase speed 3.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sigurd’s Momentum is cracked lmao. I wonder what kind of cheese you can pull off with Brave weapons.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Whats the word on promotions, Do now or later? It looks like you can use a masters to start over at level one in your current class if you want, interestingly enough.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Caidin posted:

Whats the word on promotions, Do now or later? It looks like you can use a masters to start over at level one in your current class if you want, interestingly enough.
Do now. Promoting early doesn't change the amount of experience you earn, for some reason, and even if you cap out you can use a second seal to reset in the same class, so there's no reason not to promote units as soon as you get the seals to do so.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ROFL Octopus posted:

Sigurd’s Momentum is cracked lmao. I wonder what kind of cheese you can pull off with Brave weapons.

it only applies to the 'first attack', and that applies to brave weapons as well as doubling

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'm going to be real sad when I leave Solm. This battle theme is so good.

Hearing people talk Panette up in the thread made me give her another look, which also included looking at Wolf Knight. Man, that's one hell of a stat jump, especially since Berserker doesn't have innate crit in this game. I'll take -6 HP, -2 Build and -8 Strength for +4 speed and a point or two in every single other stat, especially since Knife access makes her much better at 1-2 range than a Hand Axe. Hell of a glow-up there, especially since I don't like Backup type much.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ungulateman posted:

it only applies to the 'first attack', and that applies to brave weapons as well as doubling

drat sad, still free damage is good.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I am annoyed that Skirmishes appear not to exist on Maddening.

I've thrown 20k at field upgrades that apparently do nothing on this mode.

You can't even go back to maps to find animals you didn't get before!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Alcryst and Diamant have real good lines in Chapter 10

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah I've heard that skirmishes do appear on Maddening but they're like, incredibly rare. I guess it's in line with the game imposing fixed growths on you, forcing you to "play fair", meaning you're also not supposed to grind to beat maps

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah I've heard that skirmishes do appear on Maddening but they're like, incredibly rare. I guess it's in line with the game imposing fixed growths on you, forcing you to "play fair", meaning you're also not supposed to grind to beat maps

Honestly imposing fixed growths is more making the game play fair a lot of the time.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
what's the best way to farm money that isn't "use DLC items to make anna's luck stat broken and get cash from her personal skill"

i ask because i am perpetually starved for money

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Hit the start of endgame last night and it's making reading people's speculation about late game plot beats interesting to say the least.

It is sadly also the perfect time to hit up all the emblem paralogues, so it's going to be a while before I get back to endgame itself.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i just used Lyn's shadow clone jutsu skill and i cant believe i didn't realize it gives your clones the Mani Katti :getin:

the dodge and critical rates were already disgusting on Framme, I can't imagine what kind of nonsense Yunaka could get up to with this thing. Sadly, it seems you can't move them around after the fact, but it's great for enemy phase silliness.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat it, Yunaka, I want to keep using you but if you're going to never gain strength at all I'm eventually going to have to replace you with Zelkov

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
My Celine has more strength than half of my frontline fighters these level ups are weird

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

drat it, Yunaka, I want to keep using you but if you're going to never gain strength at all I'm eventually going to have to replace you with Zelkov
make up for her lack of strength by giving her a better, more lethal knife
im sure zelkov is great, but can he surpass the funny clown assassin girl? no

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

blizzardvizard posted:

If it weren't genuinely very easy to make archer or melee traps to grind whatever you want then I'd accept this, but the presence of Miciah just makes it incredibly easy to force as much experience and SP as you want onto any unit.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

CharlestonJew posted:

My Celine has more strength than half of my frontline fighters these level ups are weird

She's mixed. Her promotion has Ignis.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

If it weren't genuinely very easy to make archer or melee traps to grind whatever you want then I'd accept this, but the presence of Miciah just makes it incredibly easy to force as much experience and SP as you want onto any unit.

Well it's definitely an anti-grinding measure that will apply to the majority of players, they probably just didn't think it was worth trying to specifically stop the select few people dedicated enough to turtle for dozens of turns :v:

Micaiah is also limited by the amount of maps you get still, she can give you a big EXP boost but it's not an unlimited grinding tool, unless you just sit there and keep damaging yourself against an armor or something

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lapis being a master at building is a funny character beat

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

blizzardvizard posted:

Well it's definitely an anti-grinding measure that will apply to the majority of players, they probably just didn't think it was worth trying to specifically stop the select few people dedicated enough to turtle for dozens of turns :v:

Micaiah is also limited by the amount of maps you get still, she can give you a big EXP boost but it's not an unlimited grinding tool, unless you just sit there and keep damaging yourself against an armor or something

I only did it to level up the doctor kid, but it just seems senseless to me. Let people choose. If you're determined enough you can break the system anyway with how it's designed so just give people agency.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Apparently Jean doesn't have aptitude like previous est, he just doubles the growth rate of the class. Which Monk has poor growths, so reclassing/promoting him asap is the best way to get him stats.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

make up for her lack of strength by giving her a better, more lethal knife
im sure zelkov is great, but can he surpass the funny clown assassin girl? no
Yunaka is great. I love how she drops into her serious voice when she activates her :vd: mode.

Just got past the big twist in chapter 11 and I love how taking away the time crystal is a metanarrative trick to remind you how you used to play Fire Emblem. It's real neat! Also glad that characters seem to retain weapon proficiencies past this point since I was going to experiment with reclassing Etie into Swordmaster or something

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

Yunaka is great. I love how she drops into her serious voice when she activates her :vd: mode.

oh yeah it loving rules
https://twitter.com/Waffliesinyofac/status/1617725815462187009

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

I've gotten Boucheron's "More experienced warrior won out" quote against... Anna.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chapter 11: from a meta perspective, kind of owns that your two new Emblems represent the games that made the franchise a western hit and the one that saved it from total ruin

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
My Anna just hit 20 strength to her 6 mag. Granted, she is a warrior but still.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
I managed to get the ring which grants Dire Thunder, which makes a Thunder tome hit twice (i.e. a brave weapon effect; you still can't follow-up with it). It's a lot less flashy than an Emblem Ring, but it's pretty nice having a fragile, but consistent three-range delete button. The other S-rank rings I've seen either didn't have skills, or didn't have skills powerful enough to build around. (Edit: The S-rank Eliwood ring has draw back, which has saved a run for me before. I pulled a lot of stunts with Shove in Path of Radiance and so I have a fondness for one-square party movement skills)

posadas fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 24, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Which S bond ring has Lethality again?

………even though spending Bond Fragments on Bond Rings is kinda a trap…

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

Marisa.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

hopeandjoy posted:

Marisa from FE8

Keep in mind you can save, roll rings and see which rings you get. If say, the third ring is S, you can keep rerolling the third ring to get the character you want; the quality will always be the same.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The only S rank ring I have that has a skill is Finn who gives Miracle.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
One thing to note is that although ring rolls are fixed, they're fixed for the same slots regardless of the emblem you choose. If you roll a S-rank ring for the first character on Marth's list, you can reload your save, roll under Celica, and get the S-rank ring for the first character on Celica's bond ring list.

The 10k cost for fusing an S-rank ring seems ridiculous given that you could roll for 100 rings with that cost. Not to mention the unlikeliness of having that enough A-rank rings to fuse in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I spent 5k on Olwen's ring which was really steep but I think it was worth it