Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lollin' at led zeppelin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

innaritu blows chunks tho

so does nichols

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ya know what I'm in

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1616835095800815616?s=20&t=JW-oQxDMFoOZONoF5dqnVQ

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of57OMPLi6U

:rip:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1617646533826211840?s=20

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i'm thrilled to see her thrilled

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Fabelmans was good and made me believe in the magical power of the movies again. I've gained a new appreciation and respect for art and I promise to use that in my posting on these forums

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

I do enjoy that Jobs died due to his own hubris, a feat that Musk has yet to match

If he looses that Saudi Prince too much money that may change

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

im not an Alien lore-master so my take could be off, but I always interpretated the ship AI and Bishop as having a primary goal of seeking out and retrieving "alien" lifeforms with the "mining" being a secondary function that exists to facilitate the main goal. Weyland-Yutani has this priority set for every onboard AI so that out of the likely thousands of mining ships active at any moment, the instant that any catch a sign of non-human life, their main goal then becomes the retrieval of that life with the preservation of the crew falling off completely on the priority list

Its not like the Nostromo ran into an edge case that the AI wasnt prepared to handle. It was commanded to handle it in the way that maximized the chances of the alien lifeform being retrieved by WY. Sacrificing the crew in pursuit of that goal was entirely within spec of the AI to do. Look how Bishop goes out of his way to get the alien on board the ship, to the point of superseding Ripley's authority and forcing the doors open against her command even though she was the commanding officer at that point

There's also the scene that the movie opens with. With the computer receiving the distress signal and waking up the crew early. Its filmed in such a way to imply that the computer screen spitting out lines of code is the antagonist and main driving force of the plot going forward

i think youre on the right track but attributing too much deliberate intent to weyland this is a setting where as far as we know no aliens have ever been discovered so it stands to reason that any alien artifacts anybody could find would just be dusty harmless ruins any such discovery would be a huge deal that just doing a simple exploratory survey would be a bigger priority than any individual space trucker cargo shipment making an ontime arrival

in this context no one programming mother would assume that any alien objects the crew would pick up might be dangerous because indeed why would they bring them on the ship at all if they were dangerous so mothers incapable of grasping that the alien represents an existential threat to the crew and herself because as far as her programming goes the alien is indistinguishable from a priceless piece of pottery even if we assume that weylands computer programmers were malicious and not just naive the destruction of the ship and any evidence that the alien ever existed at all was obviously not in weylands best interests

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think the fact that Crew Expendable is on that list states that the company would rather see the safe return of any alien species or artifact even potentially dangerous ones is more important than the crew and that they must be delt with if they put the Alien at risk

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think we’re ascribing too much agency on Mother here. I’m not sure she’s even supposed to be an “AI” and not just like, the crew being cute with the auto pilot. In the whole movie the only thing she actually does herself is unfreeze and stop the ship automatically because she picked up a signal. Everything else is Ash. She doesn’t ever hinder the crew or help the alien in any way. The directives aren’t for her, they’re for company stooges like Ash.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i'm thrilled to see her thrilled

Yeah good for her tbh

I've seen worse nostalgia cashin ideas

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ArmZ posted:

so does nichols

birdcage is good

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

d&d movie looks fun because it's gonna just be stupid adventurer plans over and over. a 10 foot pole will be involved at some point. it's leaning into the fact that d&d is objectively stupid about 75% of the time instead of trying to make the audience buy into serious stakes. a huge improvement over something like the warcraft movie which you would otherwise expect a d&d movie to turn out similar to

also there's an owlbear

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Cant wait to bust in that owlbear

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Lame quips in a D&D campaign? Why I never!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

In the wake of the increase in book bans and challenges in school libraries, school librarians are buying fewer books. As a Washington Post article explains, many school librarians are facing new restrictions that make it difficult to get in new books, requiring a lengthy parental approval process (Texas), the principal’s okay (Pennsylvania), review from a subcommittee (Florida), or any number of other red tape labyrinths put in place by states, districts, and individual schools.

Some schools, particularly in Florida, haven’t been able to acquire new books at all this school year, while others have seen their numbers drop significantly: in a Texas school district, libraries ordered 6,000 fewer books than they did last year, while a Pennsylvania school librarian reported ordering just 100 titles this year instead of their usual 600. OverDrive, which supplies ebooks and audiobooks to roughly half of the schools districts in the U.S., has they’ve “lost millions of dollars in sales in 2022” from school libraries.

A school librarian in Florida stated that student interest in the library has dropped dramatically since recent laws restricted her ability to stock new books: “Students checked out nearly 3,000 titles between August and December 2021, but just 1,800 between August and December 2022.”

The article included photos of several handwritten lists of books that students have requested their libraries bring in. Normally, librarians would order these right away to keep students’ interests, as long they are a good fit for the collection. Now, librarians are holding onto these long lists in the hopes they can order them in the future — in the meantime, though, many students have gotten tired of waiting and stopped going to the library at all.

A Florida school librarian shared that she had a manga-loving student who checked out over 300 books the previous year, and came in daily to see if he was still the #1 user of the school library. When new restrictions brought in on a state level meant that the librarian could no longer order new manga, this student quickly ran out of material, and “after a few weeks, he stopped coming to the library.”

Even when not facing formal restrictions of their ability to order books, school librarians in districts that have experiences book bans and challenges are less likely to order in books that might be challenged later. LGBTQ books, books addressing racism, and sex education books are the most likely to be left off their order sheets. Librarians also mentioned being reluctant to order in graphic novels and manga, since they’re being challenged the most often — even though this format is precisely what students are most excited to read.

According to a study of 6,000 school libraries, school districts that had a book challenge last year were 55% less likely to stock new LGBTQ books the following year, showing that self-censorship and “quiet censorship” is just as important to consider as the formal laws and restrictions that have been put in place. As an article at EdWeek put it, “Each new book challenged in a district reduced the probability that the district would buy a new book about LGBTQ characters by 4 percent.”

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

A Florida school librarian shared that she had a manga-loving student who checked out over 300 books the previous year, and came in daily to see if he was still the #1 user of the school library. When new restrictions brought in on a state level meant that the librarian could no longer order new manga, this student quickly ran out of material, and “after a few weeks, he stopped coming to the library.”

rare Florida W

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

KomradeX posted:

I think the fact that Crew Expendable is on that list states that the company would rather see the safe return of any alien species or artifact even potentially dangerous ones is more important than the crew and that they must be delt with if they put the Alien at risk

i think this is just an unholy combination of regular corporate policy the rarity of the hypothetical the desire to emphasize the importance of the hypothetical and the flippant disregard for seriously considering how the directive would be interpreted in practice unifying to create a massive disaster

to use a more arcane reference the slylandro in star control two create genocidal death probes not because theyre trying to destroy the known universe but because they set the self replication protocol too high not realizing that doing so would make the other goals impossible

like whoever came up with the crew expendable policy was probably imagining a situation where you could either grab an irreplaceable artifact of alien tech or a single crew member obviously if the entire crew is expended theres no way to get the artifact back at all and this indeed is what ends up happening because the protocol didnt anticipate the existence of proactively dangerous artifacts

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
so glad we have a lovely movie to spell out explicitly that Mr. Weyland knew about aliens AND predator from a Mayan pyramid in Antarctica

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

In the wake of the increase in book bans and challenges in school libraries, school librarians are buying fewer books. As a Washington Post article explains, many school librarians are facing new restrictions that make it difficult to get in new books, requiring a lengthy parental approval process (Texas), the principal’s okay (Pennsylvania), review from a subcommittee (Florida), or any number of other red tape labyrinths put in place by states, districts, and individual schools.

Some schools, particularly in Florida, haven’t been able to acquire new books at all this school year, while others have seen their numbers drop significantly: in a Texas school district, libraries ordered 6,000 fewer books than they did last year, while a Pennsylvania school librarian reported ordering just 100 titles this year instead of their usual 600. OverDrive, which supplies ebooks and audiobooks to roughly half of the schools districts in the U.S., has they’ve “lost millions of dollars in sales in 2022” from school libraries.

A school librarian in Florida stated that student interest in the library has dropped dramatically since recent laws restricted her ability to stock new books: “Students checked out nearly 3,000 titles between August and December 2021, but just 1,800 between August and December 2022.”

The article included photos of several handwritten lists of books that students have requested their libraries bring in. Normally, librarians would order these right away to keep students’ interests, as long they are a good fit for the collection. Now, librarians are holding onto these long lists in the hopes they can order them in the future — in the meantime, though, many students have gotten tired of waiting and stopped going to the library at all.

Even when not facing formal restrictions of their ability to order books, school librarians in districts that have experiences book bans and challenges are less likely to order in books that might be challenged later. LGBTQ books, books addressing racism, and sex education books are the most likely to be left off their order sheets. Librarians also mentioned being reluctant to order in graphic novels and manga, since they’re being challenged the most often — even though this format is precisely what students are most excited to read.

According to a study of 6,000 school libraries, school districts that had a book challenge last year were 55% less likely to stock new LGBTQ books the following year, showing that self-censorship and “quiet censorship” is just as important to consider as the formal laws and restrictions that have been put in place. As an article at EdWeek put it, “Each new book challenged in a district reduced the probability that the district would buy a new book about LGBTQ characters by 4 percent.”

syq

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the manga wars are here...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i dunno, but there are only like a zillion other online sources where you can watch manga

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Had to continue after The Three-Body Problem with The Dark Forest and it continues to be stupid people doing unreasonable things. OH GOD DO NOT PUT EVERY SINGLE SPACE FARING SHIP WITHIN RANGE OF THE HAPPY FUN PROBE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I used to make fun of him for it but by this point (hes been doing this for years and years now), I admire his inhuman dedication

he wasnt confused by it, he just completely didnt care about it cause it was so formulaic to him

He is giving the response that the internet told him he should give

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

i think this is just an unholy combination of regular corporate policy the rarity of the hypothetical the desire to emphasize the importance of the hypothetical and the flippant disregard for seriously considering how the directive would be interpreted in practice unifying to create a massive disaster

to use a more arcane reference the slylandro in star control two create genocidal death probes not because theyre trying to destroy the known universe but because they set the self replication protocol too high not realizing that doing so would make the other goals impossible

like whoever came up with the crew expendable policy was probably imagining a situation where you could either grab an irreplaceable artifact of alien tech or a single crew member obviously if the entire crew is expended theres no way to get the artifact back at all and this indeed is what ends up happening because the protocol didnt anticipate the existence of proactively dangerous artifacts

I don't think it was intented to be read as the corporation not considering the results of its actions and more blatantly that the lives of the workers don't matter to the corporation and they're willing to get them all killed for their intrests. It doesn't matter if the crew dies, as long as the ship is underway in the right direction it'll found, empty or not. The only reason Ripley and the (Narcisis? I forget the exact name) shuttle was smalland avoided being detected for 57 years. Something as massive as the ore refinery wouldnt go undecteded traveling through the populated core.

If it were real maybe we could read the situation like that, but Scott isn't being subtle with the movie, it literally says your lives are disposable to capitalism if profit can be made. Of course Aliens is even less subtle about this point where it practically tells you Burke the executive is far worse than the Xenomorphs

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There’s some other sci fi book that did the exact same cosmology of The Dark Forest and I hated it then too. The whole idea is cynicism to the level of sociopathy and is disproved by the fact that if it were so obviously true someone would have nuked someone else by now. Not to mention going around blowing up every other alien race you find isn’t being proactively defensive, it’s just making you a target because you’re showing the whole galaxy you’re a dumb enough sociopath you can’t be reasoned with, while simultaneously revealing your location to everyone else as you keep launching flashy superweapons. It’s like saying Hitler had the correct foreign policy.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

you know the more spoilery descriptions i read of three body problem the more similar it sounds to the expanse and i dunno why the expanse is such a goon favorite but three body doing similar stuff is politically wrong

i guess it helps that in the expanse one of the two known alien races was already genocided before the story starts but i thought it was pretty clear that if that hadnt happened the humans would have been in deep deep poo poo for allowing the protomolecule to finish building the thing it was trying to build

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The alien stuff in The Expanse sucks.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

puns continue to be a c-spam favorite

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

In the wake of the increase in book bans...

gently caress

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i say swears online posted:

con air is way better than face off

look. con air, face/off, and the rock are all s tier. I just think face/off is supremely underrated compared to the other two. you can't lose if you decide to watch any of them though

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

oscar noms getting announced now, ke huy quan just got best supporting actor for EEAAO, good to see in spit of the film's more annoying fans

i hope paul mescal + Aftersun get nomm'ed

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nichael posted:

I am invested in the Spokescandy plotline.

I can see the needle they are trying to thread. They're trying their best

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

all quiet on the western front is like in 3/4 nominations

top gun maverick nommed for best picture lmao

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oscar noms just dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

oscar noms getting announced now, ke huy quan just got best supporting actor for EEAAO, good to see in spit of the film's more annoying fans

i hope paul mescal + Aftersun get nomm'ed

well, glad for mescal

also lol at Babylon getting blanked (i think)

e: it got production design and costume design

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Jan 24, 2023