Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

American McGay posted:

A restore takes like 15 minutes tops. Keep posting though brother I’m sure you’ll get through it.

Signal takes much longer to restore than that. But what do you imagine a restore even does?

e: not to mention the time it takes to add a whole bunch of 2FA credentials back, card info etc.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

How does the mini compare to the 6 I use now? I don’t imagine I want a phone much bigger. My wife has a bigger one and it seems massive to me.

The mini is smaller but has a larger screen since it's edge to edge.
The 11 and up are larger than the 6 but smaller than the 6 plus, somewhere in between. The viewable screen are is much larger than the 6.
The SE is the same form factor as the 6 with newer guts

Here's a handy size comparison
https://phonesized.com/compare/#473,1863,1975,1305,474

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Given the death of the mini as an ongoing option , it might be better to just pull off the bandaid and go to the full-size 14.

Given that, I love my 12 mini.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah spend $300 more to buy the exact same phone in a worse form factor for no reason. Great advice.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smackfu posted:

Given the death of the mini as an ongoing option , it might be better to just pull off the bandaid and go to the full-size 14.

Given that, I love my 12 mini.

14 Pro is the best phone in the world if you don’t mind the large perfect size. I laff when folks who can easily afford the 14 choose to save like 10-20% of their purchase price by getting a generation or two old phone and being inconvenienced by its limitations every day. Not that we’ve seen any sea changes in several years, but still.

With the iPhone upgrade program I’m paying a bit more than $500 per year for the most modern phone available, and if I get little scratches it literally doesn’t matter because I get a new one every year.

America!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What limitation does an iPhone 13 have compared to an iPhone 14?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

American McGay posted:

What limitation does an iPhone 13 have compared to an iPhone 14?

No dynamic Island, children point and laugh at you for being an uncool poor, you can no longer enter Micronesia

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ahh yes, that thing that’s clearly here to stay and not just a 2 generation stopgap until Apple figures out how to put the necessary sensors behind the screen. Absolutely worth $400.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

T Zero posted:

I'm looking to buy an old iphone to do basic annoying Apple tasks, namely 2FA and to run a couple iOS-exclusive apps.

What's the oldest, cheapest phone model to look at? I see iphone 8 can still run iOS16 and can be had for $50 on ebay.

Ah, you must be one of those rare and elusive "Uses a MacBook but with an Android phone" people. You're missing out on all the great handoff stuff like Airplay and Universal Clipboard!

Are you fine with your iPhone 8 losing software OS updates in a year or two?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 24, 2023

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

American McGay posted:

Ahh yes, that thing that’s clearly here to stay and not just a 2 generation stopgap until Apple figures out how to put the necessary sensors behind the screen. Absolutely worth $400.

Yeah! I refuse to give up my 4S until Apple finally cracks the puzzle and delivers a phone with no physical form at all. Buying a current-gen phone is just settling for something that's going to be obsolete.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My 3rd gen iPhone SE did a weird thing for the first time yesterday while it was on the wireless charger; after leaving it on the the pad for a bit to get some charge real quick, I grabbed it but the screen wouldn't turn on. The home button still gave the haptic feedback when trying to unlock with touch id, but the display just stayed black. Any reason what would cause that? I was able to fix it by following the guide on this support page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Corb3t posted:

Ah, you must be one of those rare and elusive "Uses a MacBook but with an Android phone" people. You're missing out on all the great handoff stuff like Airplay and Universal Clipboard!

There are dozens of us!

Yeah, I'm ok with a phone going obsolete after a couple years if it's cheap enough.

I have a 10 year-old ipad but it's no longer getting OS updates and is too annoying to carry around for 2FA. It still works but has zero trade-in value, so I just use it as an ebook reader. Wish apple would just let you authenticate on android.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

as someone who has one, I can’t recommend the 13 mini with iOS 16. Not a good experience. Another model maybe?

For fucks sake, you won’t even follow the advice of people here and just bitch rather than fix your own drat problems. Don’t give other people advice, just shut the gently caress up.

Tom Tucker posted:

How does the mini compare to the 6 I use now? I don’t imagine I want a phone much bigger. My wife has a bigger one and it seems massive to me.

Coming from a 6, anything is good.

No one mentioned it, so fyi a question to ask if what carrier do you have ? Some carriers offer phone discounts and that can (somewhat) change the recommendation. In this case I would bet it wouldn’t , but good to check.

13 Mini is a great idea. Bigger screen then the SE, 2 cameras , good battery life. The Mini is technically physically smaller than your 6, but it’s edge to edge screen so the screen is still bigger.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I just bought a 13 mini after hemming and hawing about my SE2 for for long enough that a full day of battery was impossible. And I absolutely love this phone. I kinda fell off the wagon a bit with what recent phones had been up to so I discovered how good phone cameras could be and that owned (and this isn't even the best).

Runs great, has more than enough battery for me (even in poor signal areas for most of the day it's like 60% when I come home), and it actually fits in my pocket. One weird thing is that my brain keeps insisting that its bigger than my old SE2 because the screen is bigger even though the actual phone body is smaller... but coming from an old home button phone to the 13 mini is the optimal choice unless you really just want a mini-er iPad mini.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

But what do you imagine a restore even does?

I've been an apple certified technician for over a decade, and I can say with the upmost authority that a restore will more than likely fix your poo poo, and even if it doesn't, it's going to prove that there's a problem with your specific device.

Goddamn your bullshit is tiring.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 24, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

:chaostrump:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

If the screen is edge to edge can you get a good case for it? I’ve never had a break on my six and I credit it to the otter case

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tom Tucker posted:

If the screen is edge to edge can you get a good case for it? I’ve never had a break on my six and I credit it to the otter case

I think a Smartish gripmunk case and spigen tempered glass protector are doing a good job on the 13 mini + partners 13

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Technically the screen isn't edge-to-edge so I imagine gestures work fine with most cases.

My wife has a Spigen Liquid Air on her 12 and has dropped it plenty without breaking the screen.
There are "more highly protective" cases than that, though, including Otterbox Symmetry.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Corb3t posted:

As an iPhone 8 Plus user: I'll cross that bridge when it shows up.

• It's worth noting I don't really use any of the iPhone-to-Mac features. And my main Mac is old enough for them not to apply anyway.
• The main reason I'm using an old phone is I like Touch ID and the physical home button.
• It does everything I need it to, with sufficient power for my mobile games and means of communication.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

Why would I do a restore? Nobody’s answered that,

Oh right it’s you. Everyone answered it, it’s the same reason you’d factory reset any computer, which is that on rare occasions the OS gets janked up and it’s easier to just hit reset than to troubleshoot. It won’t take you 5 hours. If you have weird apps that aren’t plugged into the cloud and need manual backing up in some special way beforehand, I’m sure people in this thread will be able to help. People are suggesting a factory reset because this thread is full of people with the exact same model of phone and operating system, and who are not experiencing any issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The most useful Handoff features demand you use Safari on Mac and lol no

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah although coming from an iPhone 8, it seems a lot more rugged. Had it since September and no scratches on the screen or anything like that yet, without screen protectors etc, and it’s been dropped s couple times castles. I did get the regular apple made silicone case because it makes it more comfortable to hold and less slippery (and it’s a colour that matches my office stationery), but if I’m lounging around at home the phone is usually naked.

As others have said the screen does have a border, and cases won’t touch the screen.

Edit: r.e ecosystem stuff the main thing I use shared copy and paste for is whatsapping links to people that I read on my iPad, because I live in a country where WhatsApp groups are more the norm over iMessage, and meta refuses to make a WhatsApp client for the iPad.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 24, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The most useful Handoff features demand you use Safari on Mac and lol no

Universal Clipboard and AirDrop aren’t related to Safari. Safari’s Reader view/list is pretty nice, though.

I’d never keep my browser/tab history synced on Google’s servers. Chrome on desktop isn’t even that good - Firefox is better, and Safari’s iOS extensions (why would you want to look at ads in another browser?) make it the best browser experience on iPhone.

Plus Google is bad at mobile design and still insist on keeping their search bars at the top of screens for all their iOS apps.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 24, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who said anything about Chrome or Google? I use Safari on my iPhone and iPad and Firefox on my Macbook and Windows desktop.

I did forget Universal Clipboard though and yeah that's useful.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Who said anything about Chrome or Google? I use Safari on my iPhone and iPad and Firefox on my Macbook and Windows desktop.

I did forget Universal Clipboard though and yeah that's useful.

Even as somebody who mains Firefox on my mac himself, I still think the features/extensions on Safari for iOS make it the best browser on iOS. My firefox history/tab syncing is turned off, though.

Edit: If Firefox ported over their bookmark keyword shortcut feature, that would be pretty cool...

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 24, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Safari is better than Firefox in general. The only real advantage with Firefox is the ability to take security/adblocking/decrapifying to tinfoil hat levels. Completely unnecessary for normal usage, but I keep Firefox as a seperate browser just for when I’m visiting the seedier districts of the internet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main advantage to firefox is syncing bookmarks between mac/ios/windows systems without using chrome.

Now if only they'd make an icloud keychain extension for it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Ok if you have to move between MacOS and Windows, then yes I’d use Firefox before I used chrome or edge as well. Luckily these days I’m 100% in the apple ecosystem.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I absolutely love Firefox on my laptop, it's just the biggest features aren't available on the iOS counterpart.

Those features are:
Picture in Picture
Autoblock autoplay videos
Extension support
Smart Keyword Searching - search IMDB, ebay, amazon, by typing "@" + "Am", "Eb", etc.
Bookmark Keyword Shortcuts - assign keywords to important bookmarks so they can be opened by just typing 1-3 letters.

I seriously can't stress how awesome Firefox's bookmark keyword shortcuts are. It's changed the way I work and move around in my browser - I map dozens of work-related Sharepoint folders and documents to 2-3 letter keywords that I can jump into by just typing "sp" for sharepoint, or "ts" for timesheet, or "ji" for jira, etc.

I get really sad whenever I have to jump into Chrome or Safari for webdev work, type "sp" and enter, and search results pop up instead of what I actually want.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 24, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My XS is at 89% battery health. I have an upcoming trip planned and honestly I just want to give it the most chance of making it through the day as I possibly can while I wait for the USB-C phone.

Deep down I’m wondering how accurate that 89% is. I feel like any significant use of the phone from 6am (podcast, an hour of web browsing on my commute in, imessages every now and then) and I’m looking for a charger by maybe noon. Using GPS and maps and such will definitely not help.

I think right now I’m just trying to curb my expectations on how much “better” it will be after an OEM swap. I expect all the OS updates since the XS came out have made it heavier on usage overall, so I think I should just be prepared to not get any SIGNIFICANT improvement and still just stay on a battery bank the entire time to play it safe.

Not sure I have a question, guess I’m just soliciting thoughts..

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I know why you are, but I still think it’s not worth it to wait for a usb-c phone. It sounds like you need a new phone. Just do it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

some kinda jackal posted:

My XS is at 89% battery health. I have an upcoming trip planned and honestly I just want to give it the most chance of making it through the day as I possibly can while I wait for the USB-C phone.

Deep down I’m wondering how accurate that 89% is. I feel like any significant use of the phone from 6am (podcast, an hour of web browsing on my commute in, imessages every now and then) and I’m looking for a charger by maybe noon. Using GPS and maps and such will definitely not help.

I think right now I’m just trying to curb my expectations on how much “better” it will be after an OEM swap. I expect all the OS updates since the XS came out have made it heavier on usage overall, so I think I should just be prepared to not get any SIGNIFICANT improvement and still just stay on a battery bank the entire time to play it safe.

Not sure I have a question, guess I’m just soliciting thoughts..

Battery health is not linear. 89% health does not mean that your phone reaches 89% of its day 1 charge capacity. It’s much worse.

Don’t wait for a USB-C iPhone, because it is not a given that one will launch in 2023, and even if it does in some places it might not in your region (Apple is just fine machining different chassis for different regions already, see: the SIM tray on the 14).

The laws don’t require it in the EU until 2024, IIRC, and even then Apple might roll the dice on portless if they think they can get away with it.

Law 1 of phone buying is buy a phone when you need a phone. It sounds like you need a phone, tbh.

e: depending on the price/availability where you are you could also just get a battery replacement while waiting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hear all the arguments for, and believe me I’m sympathetic. I haven’t ruled out just skipping the battery replacement, getting a good phone now and trading up to a USB-C phone when it arrives. If I’m being honest though, I don’t think anything on the new phones has really attracted me enough to want to upgrade yet, so the thought of shelling out thousands on a phone vs $100 on a battery replacement seems like a no brainer case for keeping the XS. Absent this trip I don’t think I’d even be giving this a second thought.

But the wildcard is that the XS running the iOS it was shipped with one day one isn’t the OS I’d be running today, even with a brand new battery, so I might see significant improvement just upgrading anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you'd be fine with a dying battery absent this upcoming trip, I'd consider getting a battery pack and riding off that. We're down to 8 months away from new phone season and sinking $100 on an old phone that is basically worthless on the secondhand market (trust me I tried to unload an XS last fall and no one wanted it) doesn't feel worth it. But a $30 brick you gotta lug around? At least that has some utility down the road.

But yes the new max phones have absurd battery life. Apparently there's no replacement for displacement milliamp hours.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, the good battery life out of the box thing is really selling me, tbh. I’m going to go play with a 14 Pro after work and if it gels with me I might just buy outright, then trade in when USB phone hits.

AND still get a good battery bank for the trip.

And who knows, maybe I won’t be as interested in USB-C when the time comes. My big driving factor here is that I’m just tired of having two cables to charge everything. My AirPods and Phone are the last remnants of “oh hell did I remember to pack that cable?”

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Spending $1400 instead of carrying 2 cables like a baus.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

American McGay posted:

Spending $1400 instead of carrying 2 cables like a baus.

I haven't plugged a cable into my iPhone in over a year at this point. MagSafe for life.

MagSafe is technically USB C, too.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We were able to eek an $800 trade in value out of my parents iPhone XS's over the holiday season, so you might wanna check with your carrier to see what deals they have going and find a way to maximize trade-in value to get you a phone to bridge the gap. I went from a Pixel 5 to iPhone 14 Pro full well knowing I'm going to trade this phone in immediately if a USB-C phone is announced, namely to get myself familiar with the current hardware and tech. If they do actually release a USB-C iPhone, I'm gonna get a Pro model of that and ride it out until the phone quits working or the world ends in heat death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

We were able to eek an $800 trade in value out of my parents iPhone XS's over the holiday season, so you might wanna check with your carrier to see what deals they have going and find a way to maximize trade-in value to get you a phone to bridge the gap. I went from a Pixel 5 to iPhone 14 Pro full well knowing I'm going to trade this phone in immediately if a USB-C phone is announced, namely to get myself familiar with the current hardware and tech. If they do actually release a USB-C iPhone, I'm gonna get a Pro model of that and ride it out until the phone quits working or the world ends in heat death

This is why I don't really see much value in "running my phones into the ground" - Why wouldn't I just trade in my phone every few years for a huge credit toward a new phone instead? I'll always want/need consistent cellular service, so I don't mind them applying the credit over a couple years.