Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

priznat posted:

Oh drat I missed a sweet meltdown

from posting like a bot to having a meltdown in 1 post has to be some kind of record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like it's becoming more clear with the years that deadwood is the best show, and it's not particularly close. The movie is kinda just comfort food in comparison to like the most towering achievement ever, but I'm glad it got made, worth watching

mad men

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

kalel posted:

mad men

Ok. We get it. You like Ms

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Space Kablooey posted:

from posting like a bot to having a meltdown in 1 post has to be some kind of record

I think it pretty much confirmed that was the Jess person hyping their own poo poo lol

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021

kalel posted:

they're my favorite. shitlord

Don’t sign your posts

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

kalel posted:

mad men

It's a very well made show of course and pleasant enough in the moment but I just don't really like it in the longer view.

As smart as deadwood is it's also very straight up about what the point of the show is. I find mad men and particularly the ending evasive on that question to the extent that you wonder if there was a point particularly, beyond that sure was a time period that happened

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sopranos

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

DaysBefore posted:

Gross fat idiots that are weird about women?

Please don’t speak ill of Rich Evans. He has been trying to lose weight and is a sensitive soul.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's in the pack behind deadwood obviously, and probably pulls closer with different value judgments than mine. Like deadwood I find its clarity of point very admirable even if that point is a loving dismal black downer doomer one.

But I find it had way too much fat on it and way too many straight up bad episodes. Probably if all the good stuff could have been condensed into like four seasons I would have way fewer reservations. Maybe this is the galaxy brain speaking, but in some ways deadwood getting cancelled was actually a blessing for it in this respect

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

You know when watching Andor i sometimes just think about the emperor screaming unlimited power and my dumb brain finds it incredibly funny that these two things exist in the same franchise.

Whenever people say stuff like this I can't help but wonder if they're aware that Dude Wheres My Car exists in the same universe where millions of Jews were murdered in a holocaust.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dude Where's My Car is set in a fictional version of our own where, presumably, the holocaust also happened.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalel posted:

mad men

the four good shows loved together in harmony. then, everything changed when no mods no masters attacked

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

SCheeseman posted:

Whenever people say stuff like this I can't help but wonder if they're aware that Dude Wheres My Car exists in the same universe where millions of Jews were murdered in a holocaust.

They're talking about tone, not plausibility

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

kalel posted:

the four good shows loved together in harmony. then, everything changed when no mods no masters attacked

I don't know if I'd ever call true blood "good" in the same way as the other 3 but it was balls-out dumb as poo poo in a way I appreciate

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

So was I, point being that Andor is separate enough narratively from the other materials that whatever tone differential that exists shouldn't matter.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

SCheeseman posted:

So was I, point being that Andor is separate enough narratively from the other materials that whatever tone differential that exists shouldn't matter.

thanks.

thank you.

thanks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cubone posted:

thanks.

thank you.

thanks.

Np

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

big cummers ONLY posted:

To be fair, Ashton Kutcher existing in the same universe where the holocaust happened is pretty tasteless

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Listen, I of all people get loving to eat the garbage (75% of my posts are about star wars) but let's not delude ourselves it's anything other than garbage

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Watched Banshees. was Really Good. Thanks

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

deadwood, sopranos, highlander the series. no particular order

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Kingo Ligma posted:

To be fair, Ashton Kutcher existing in the same universe where the holocaust happened is pretty tasteless

I guess I have to admit that "Dude Where's My Car" and the Holocaust had different narrative tones

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

chris pine (offscreen adr): “i will always love you, diana.”

i tear up every time at this incredible acting he is probably doing if we could see him

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

X JAKK posted:

Surely they kept the part where the wacky sidekicks dress in drag to trick the hun guards and do the pole climbing trick Mulan figured out earlier as Ill Make A Man Out Of You suddenly kicks back in which was such a beautiful and perfect moment TELL ME THEY STILL HAVE THAT

Nah sorry no fun or even real characters or plot in the live action version. Stuff just happens. It’s very much a weird American attempt to make a Chinese-style magical realism historical epic.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

I guess I have to admit that "Dude Where's My Car" and the Holocaust had different narrative tones

And yet they exist in the same universe! Makes u think, perhaps they should have started the movie with an opening text crawl explaining that in the world of Dude Wheres My Car the Nazis didn't come to power so those watching don't get tonal whiplash.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

SCheeseman posted:

And yet they exist in the same universe! Makes u think, perhaps they should have started the movie with an opening text crawl explaining that in the world of Dude Wheres My Car the Nazis didn't come to power so those watching don't get tonal whiplash.
thank you for your time. thanks. thanks for stopping by. thank you. we'll see you later.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I only mentioned True Blood to make a point about TLoU. However I still think it's the best zombie/vampair/werewolves/Angel television series.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Watched Banshees. was Really Good. Thanks

nice

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I only mentioned True Blood to make a point about TLoU. However I still think it's the best zombie/vampair/werewolves/Angel television series.

Hell yeah it is. It’s so campy that ait’s absolutely fantastic.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
top ten shows of all time

1)gundam

Vakal
May 11, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just remembered that there was an entire two seasons of a show dedicated to just sexy werewolves.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 24, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cubone posted:

thank you for your time. thanks. thanks for stopping by. thank you. we'll see you later.

Sorry, I guess the tone difference was too great. I'll let you get back to talking about the movie with the ethno supremacists and stormtroopers. Family safe.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Sorry, I guess the tone difference was too great. I'll let you get back to talking about the movie with the ethno supremacists and stormtroopers. Family safe.

thank you. thanks. thanks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cubone posted:

thank you. thanks. thanks.

Np! You're very polite. I should be more considerate and try not to draw parallels between bad things that happen in reality and fiction so as not to upset people.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Np! You're very polite. I should be more considerate and try not to draw parallels between bad things that happen in reality and fiction so as not to upset people.

Jesus shut the gently caress up

Cubone
May 26, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

thank you. thanks. thank you

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcAsad-E9CQ

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Geez.

The joke wasn't the holocaust was funny, but that no media exists in a vacuum. Getting tonal whiplash from a show with it's own narrative because there's some other thing based in the same general "universe" is absurd, given how much media exists in our own universe where plenty of awful things happened, where the tone can be whatever the writer wants it to be.

The comparison I made was supposed to be absurd, but it's also pretty relevant because there is literally mass genocide perpetrated by space Nazis in Star Wars, a fictional one but drawing from the same actual reality that Dude Where's My Car does. The inability to take stories on their own terms is comic brained poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
dude never explain the bit