Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

frogbs posted:

IME it's pretty accurate, they dry out pretty quickly. They mostly just look cool and are fun to use. A Bic is better in every possible situation, except it's not refillable.

Also Bics require constant pressure on the thumb thingy for the flame to persist while Zippos stay lit when dropped. I think that's why we always see Zippos in scenes like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Speculating a bit, I'm gonna say that the biscuits and baking being shown is telegraphing to us how the infection spread initially. Fungus infecting grain is a real thing, that's what ergot does.

Called it :cool:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Indonesia scene was really well done - considering it's the fourth most populous country in the world it's weird to realise I've never seen it depicted on screen, not even for minor background colour stuff like this.

Having said that, after watching the Feigl-Dings of the world tweet their way through COVID, if I were the general I'd probably be getting a second opinion before scrambling the bombers.

Also lol at Tess not understanding the basic principle of how a lighter works.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am always the most interested in how the initial fall went down in this genre so I really like the intros. I know that this show isn't about that, but I have always wanted a show set in an apocalypse that is really focused on the initial outbreak and chaos/fall of society. I was very disappointed in the first season of Fear The Walking Dead because it was billed as that but didn't really show much. I hope we get more of these scenes each episode.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The backstory about the infection is the most interesting part now to me lol.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
This show has some strong opening scenes. Happy to see Indonesia featured and in a capable light. I do worry about them presenting the disease as originating in an "Asian" country though. Seems the subject matter could've been handled a little more deftly in light of current attitudes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DarkLich posted:

This show has some strong opening scenes. Happy to see Indonesia featured and in a capable light. I do worry about them presenting the disease as originating in an "Asian" country though. Seems the subject matter could've been handled a little more deftly in light of current attitudes.

Indonesia is a great setting for 2003 because it's also a mostly Muslim country if I recall correctly.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Indonesia is a great setting for 2003 because it's also a mostly Muslim country if I recall correctly.

Correct but I don't follow why that would be relevant?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Correct but I don't follow why that would be relevant?

It still exists now but 2003 there was extreme Muslim/Islamophobia in the United States. Anything said by these communities was ignored or they were blamed for a lot of things that were going wrong at the time. So, having the plague start in Indonesia means that they might of been ignored by Americans as violent thugs trying to extract something out of the US.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like it absolutely would have been the Muslim Flu in the US in 2003.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

freebooter posted:

Indonesia scene was really well done - considering it's the fourth most populous country in the world it's weird to realise I've never seen it depicted on screen, not even for minor background colour stuff like this.

Having said that, after watching the Feigl-Dings of the world tweet their way through COVID, if I were the general I'd probably be getting a second opinion before scrambling the bombers.

Also lol at Tess not understanding the basic principle of how a lighter works.

It really sells just how rapidly hosed humanity is when the mycologist's solution to the outbreak is to bomb Jakarta to the ground--the most populated non-Indian, non-Chinese city on the planet, and she is telling the military to level it in order to maybe have a chance at stopping this. Chilling.

Also seconding the hope that every cold open from now on is a glimpse at the final hours of pre-outbreak life from a new but relevant perspective. That poo poo rules.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Justin Credible posted:

I have seen that particular criticism come up and I don't think the point of the fungus-expert scenes are there to try and lend scientific credibility to it. Those scenes are about the impending doom and fall of everything, where the people most understanding of what's coming are just 'we are hosed it's all over', along with giving the basic ruleset of how it all works.

... which is something you need for proper tension in a horror/supernatural type setting. That's what makes it scary, when you get how xyz works on some basic level, and you understand the threat towards the characters in various situations once you know those rules. They have spent very little screen time on it if you think about it - a couple intros. And the tone of those isn't 'trust us guys, this is SCIENCE', it's, 'these are the basics you need to know and just how hosed everything is going to be'. Creating legit feelings of impending apocalypse that people can see coming and are trying everything to stop, but are ultimately powerless to do so.

i enjoyed the scene, but there were no "rules" about the world introduced by the indonesian mycologist that we didn't already know from ep 1. we got the tension around the "time to turn" "biting" "rapid spread" etc already.

I feel like the intent of the scene was to introduce a character as a fungus expert, spend time showing us that she is an expert thru conversation and microscope scene, and then to also try to stretch her into a medical professional with the autopsy stuff. basically a roundabout way for a scientific validation of the idea that humanity can't be helped and that the only solution is draconian violence against society.

but guess what - we already knew this because we knew society collapsed and they told us already that there is no cure. even more, episode 2 had a throwaway line from Tess about bombing major cities that got the same point across as the entire prologue in less time.

again - i enjoyed the prologue for what is was and but i didn't have the impression that this added anything to the story we didn't already know. as others have mentioned, they could have taken this and focused on the police chief or defense minister of Indonesia instead of laundering the plot through "science" and it probably would have been more impactful for me.

I would be happy to see more prologues set around the world during the early outbreak, but i hope this is the last science-y exposition one of these.

edit - maybe i'm still shellshocked from Rings of Power, which wasted a lot of time overexplaining mechanics that didn't need it instead of telling a tight narrative. hopefully this doesn't go that way,

Moltke fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 23, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jurassic Park does an amazing job building up fear of the velociraptors, because every expert who knows anything about them is terrified of these creatures. The movie establishes that in the world of Jurassic Park, everyone knows that velociraptor is a vicious pack hunter that eats man-sized prey, even though in our world velociraptor was the size of a penguin and mostly ate raccoon-like mammals. The Last of Us is doing something similar, establishing that this version of cordyceps is capable of infecting healthy humans and controlling them, unlike in our world. "Scientist warns everyone for decades and then disaster happens" is a well-known trope for a reason.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Moltke posted:

i enjoyed the scene...

I'll go ahead and disagree based on a few things - it was speculation of the wheat being a vector, that second prologue confirmed it. Same with the 'no cure, no vaccine' bit. It was speculated at in the first episode prologue, and then confirmed in the second. If they do one of these every time reiterating the same information over and over again, sure, that'll be an issue. But in the context of what's been shown so far, it's the first time the 'rules' really get laid out by an expert in the field, who has directly seen it and isn't just speculating on the future.

Which brings me to that expert herself. Portrayed as a quiet, somewhat timid woman, who is a fungus expert. Who is so intrigued and wants to figure out what's going on that she wants to examine where it came from, despite not being a medical doctor. And what she sees from that being enough to understand, or believe, that it's all over. The only hope would have been if there weren't numerous other missing workers. You can see her working down that nightmare set of calculations and coming to such a conclusion.

Some rule confirmations and palpable dread were the point, and I think they nailed it.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I like vaguely sciency stuff in my science fiction and mushrooms are just loving weird, so there needs to be more of the opening scenes. next week I hope it's a libertarian writing an article about mixing fungicide with colloidial silver for usenet.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I hope we get a US president suggesting drinking fungicide on live tv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Next week, the opening will focus on a scientist who had been doing gain of function research on Cordyceps.

This will elegantly explain how the fungus is so good at surviving the baking of bread, repurposing the human body, persisting for twenty years, and communicating through the ground.

Please no.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Chamale posted:

Jurassic Park does an amazing job building up fear of the velociraptors, because every expert who knows anything about them is terrified of these creatures. The movie establishes that in the world of Jurassic Park, everyone knows that velociraptor is a vicious pack hunter that eats man-sized prey, even though in our world velociraptor was the size of a penguin and mostly ate raccoon-like mammals. The Last of Us is doing something similar, establishing that this version of cordyceps is capable of infecting healthy humans and controlling them, unlike in our world. "Scientist warns everyone for decades and then disaster happens" is a well-known trope for a reason.

velociraptors are just plain scary the first time you see them, the same way zombies killing hundreds of people in ep 1 is just plain scary. we don't need this spelled out twice. the science parts of jurassic park were all super generic and dumbed down "dinosaur DNA cartoon" and the actual scientists were more representative of man's (eggheads) hubris, which was a central theme of the movie (life finds a way).

my real point in all this is that i sincerely hope this is the last time for this and we don't end up with a prologue explaining how infested grain is absorbed by the body and how infested saliva is absorbed by the bloodstream, or any other pseudo-scientific exposition of fantasy mechanics.

watching any TV show is an exercise in the suspension of disbelief, especially a zombie show, and the more they focus on midichlorians or whatever, the harder it is for me maintain that suspension and the worse the show

upgunned shitpost posted:

next week I hope it's a libertarian writing an article about mixing fungicide with colloidial silver for usenet.

yes, this

Moltke fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 24, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Bush was a dipshit, but he was never anywhere near THAT horrifyingly dumb.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bush read John Barry’s The Great Influenza, and it instantly catapulted him to a top-shelf American president for pandemic preparedness.

That, and his existing fears about bioterror, the anthrax attacks, and SARS, anyway.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Hi thread, new viewer here. I've never played the games, watched any youtube walkthroughs or explanations. I assumed the game / show was like The Road, so the show has been a surprise for me.

However, I am aware that it's based on a game. What I'm wondering is, how close have the scenes mirrored the games? For example in ep2, The museum felt like a stealth mission in the game like I was getting flashbacks to Metal Gear Solid. Did the games feature a Colonial America museum level? It could also be the case that I'm reading too much into this and seeing patterns where none exist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AmbientParadox posted:

Hi thread, new viewer here. I've never played the games, watched any youtube walkthroughs or explanations. I assumed the game / show was like The Road, so the show has been a surprise for me.

However, I am aware that it's based on a game. What I'm wondering is, how close have the scenes mirrored the games? For example in ep2, The museum felt like a stealth mission in the game like I was getting flashbacks to Metal Gear Solid. Did the games feature a Colonial America museum level? It could also be the case that I'm reading too much into this and seeing patterns where none exist.

The museum bit was straight from the game. Pretty much all of the scenes in episode 2 are at least partially inspired by something from the game except the Indonesia opening which was entirely new.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

It still exists now but 2003 there was extreme Muslim/Islamophobia in the United States. Anything said by these communities was ignored or they were blamed for a lot of things that were going wrong at the time. So, having the plague start in Indonesia means that they might of been ignored by Americans as violent thugs trying to extract something out of the US.

weird thing about this tho, bush era republicans had actually been working against post-9/11 muslim bigotry, and anti-muslim sentiment was actually at a low point by 2003. aside from the massive spike in 2001, you need to go to the 06 midterms, or obama's election in '08 to see when the mask started to slip and islamophobia became mainstream in american politics. george bush is a war criminal (maye he rot in hell) but he regularly denounced islamophobia and this definitely wasn't the zeitgeist in 2003.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AmbientParadox posted:

The show has followed the game extremely close thus far, all of the major set pieces exist in the game including the one you mentioned, and yeah the metal gear series had a lot of influence on the gameplay mechanics. TLOU Part 2 especially takes a lot from MGS5, but TLOU Part 1 has a bunch from them as well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AmbientParadox posted:

1) Yes, every single set piece so far has been in the video game in some form.

2) Some of the lines are word-for-word the same as they are in the game.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Moltke posted:

weird thing about this tho, bush era republicans had actually been working against post-9/11 muslim bigotry, and anti-muslim sentiment was actually at a low point by 2003. aside from the massive spike in 2001, you need to go to the 06 midterms, or obama's election in '08 to see when the mask started to slip and islamophobia became mainstream in american politics. george bush is a war criminal (maye he rot in hell) but he regularly denounced islamophobia and this definitely wasn't the zeitgeist in 2003.

uh as a muslim in the States during that era, let me just say you're completely wrong here.

Thousands of US muslims were rounded up by the government extra-judicially, and the Bush admin worked hard to prosecute and jail others (that are still in Guantanamo) as well.

e: and then there's the Feigl-Ding crack. Let's try to keep politics out of this thread, please.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

spankmeister posted:

Tinactin enemas.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Shageletic posted:

uh as a muslim in the States during that era, let me just say you're completely wrong here.

Thousands of US muslims were rounded up by the government extra-judicially, and the Bush admin worked hard to prosecute and jail others (that are still in Guantanamo) as well.

e: and then there's the Feigl-Ding crack. Let's try to keep politics out of this thread, please.

ok, i'm not here to say your lived experience is incorrect, or to relitigate the bush admin, which was heinously terrible for muslims. but the data, as well as other muslim accounts and quotes from bush, corroborate a very different view of 2003 from the one expressed so far in this thread, which is as far as i'll go with this. again, bush is a monster.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/09/bush-muslims-lip-service-911-attacks.html

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bush said mealy rear end poo poo from the side of his mouth as he used 9/11 to create a domestic national security behemoth who spent every day invading and violating Muslim rights and spaces. I'm telling you, you don't know poo poo about this.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
sorry bud, happy to review any data or studies that disagree with the FBI stats and other first person accounts i shared about what life was like in 2003 specifically.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Moltke posted:

I mean, those statistics could mean anything. For all we know it's because muslims went incognito and didn't congregate in public or wear visible signs of being muslim. Which is absolutely what happened to Asian Americans during covid. Like, in the NYC stats 2020 was one of the lowest years for violent crime for Asian Americans, but it sure loving wasn't everyone getting enlightened.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Things got worst because of the refugees coming to the west I think. Things were definitely bad during the Bush era but there was a kind of optimism early on in that people actually thought we would win the War on Terror or remake Iraq as a liberal democracy. Once everything went to poo poo imperial expansion turned to retrenchment at home and the white replacement poo poo started up.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm glad the show retcons the Bush presidency by ending America before he can win a second term.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7191943005312470318

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I have watched the ep and offer my sincere heartfelt apologies to the flapjack theorists

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

smoobles posted:

I'm glad the show retcons the Bush presidency by ending America before he can win a second term.

I'm sure Dick Cheney is safe in his underground bunker guiding the shadow government, though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Moltke posted:

sorry bud, happy to review any data or studies that disagree with the FBI stats and other first person accounts i shared about what life was like in 2003 specifically.

lol pal, your only "stud[y]" is one showing Anti-Muslim beatings spiking in 2001, to say that the Bush administration was fighting against anti-Muslim bigotry and for Muslim people here in the US. Other than being an utterly text book case of causation being confused with correlation, yeah, its almost bizaare in its lack of specificity and use in this discussion. Here's more relevant information:

quote:

"The federal government invested nearly $8 trillion in the wars that followed 9/11, according to an analysis by the Costs of War project at Brown University released this month. About $1.1 billion of that has been spent on preventing terrorism at home. Counterrorism efforts in the U.S. have taken various forms since then: new government agencies, surveillance programs and the loosening of longstanding law enforcement guidelines that made it easier to carry out intelligence investigations on citizens without the same level of evidence, often resulting in the profiling of Muslim Americans on the basis of religion or country of national origin in violation of protections provided by the constitution.

The Patriot Act, passed 45 days after 9/11, was one of the first steps in drastically changing U.S. surveillance, making it easier for the federal government to monitor citizens in the name of searching for domestic threats. It expanded law enforcement’s ability to access people’s phone records, bank records and other personal information in the name of counterterrorism and national security. Simultaneously, then-President George W. Bush secretly authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans’ international phone calls without court-approved warrants...While the 2002 guidelines allowed the FBI broad discretion in checking out leads that they deem to be threatening, they stopped at providing the tools of a full-blown investigation. The 2008 guidelines broadened the FBI’s intelligence-gathering even further, allowing agents to look into the lives of Americans without any “factual predicate” to start an investigation, meaning there no longer has to be any evidence of suspicion, just an “authorized purpose”

“…the authorized purpose could be ‘well, I want to prevent terrorism, so I'm going to go spy on this Muslim community in Dearborn, Michigan,’ for example,” said Faiza Patel, a national security expert with the Brennan Center.

At the same time, the FBI loosened guidelines around how law enforcement can conduct intelligence-gathering investigations, changes outlined in a report from The Brennan Center for Justice, a nonprofit law and public policy institute affiliated with the NYU School of Law.

...A 2012 Senate oversight committee report on Fusion Centers said they “forwarded ‘intelligence’ of uneven quality – oftentimes shoddy, rarely timely, sometimes endangering citizens’ civil liberties and Privacy Act protections … and more often than not, unrelated to terrorism.’”

“Instead of strengthening our counterterrorism efforts, they have too often wasted money and stepped on Americans’ civil liberties,” said former Sen. Tom Coburn, R-OK, then a subcommittee ranking member leading the investigation into the centers.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/post-9-11-surveillance-has-left-a-generation-of-muslim-americans-in-a-shadow-of-distrust-and-fear

You need to read this article or anything about the Bush administration and its war on Muslims, like here https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/11/muslim-man-spent-15-years-in-prison-after-post-9-11

Or articles like this:

quote:

The Bush administration responded to the September 11 attacks by developing strategies through the Homeland Securities Department and the Patriot Act to monitor and attempt to control Muslim communities inside the United States. ..Nearly 200,000 American Muslims experienced mass arrests, secret detentions, closed hearings, secrete evidence, government eavesdropping on attorney- client conversations, FBI home and work visits, and wiretapping (Alsultany, 2007)."

http://rhpsnet.com/journals/rhps/Vol_7_No_2_December_2019/2.pdf

Oh yeah, also remember this?

quote:

"Bush described the war on terrorism as a “crusade,” invoking this bloody period and providing evidence to those who contended this was a religious war. The Pentagon further legitimized these argument when it called the war, “Operation Infinite Justice.” Such references reinforced the “clash of civilizations” narrative used to frame the East-West relationship."
(https://bridge.georgetown.edu/research/how-anti-muslim-rhetoric-drives-the-imperialist-global-war-on-terror/) And Bush outside of the glare of the TV cameras painted the war as an civilizational and existential one.

I don't if its hubris or ignorance, but I have no idea why you're trying to die on this hill when anyone around at the time and paying attn (and even wasn't affected by it, to the extent I had to change my last name to fly without being specially selected) would tell you differently.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

NieR Occomata posted:

1) Yes, every single set piece so far has been in the video game in some form.

2) Some of the lines are word-for-word the same as they are in the game.

I assume someone is doing Lets Play videos on YouTube along with each episode but not willing to spoil myself to find them.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

the gently caress is going on in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The depiction of spores growing out of people's mouths is really unsettling. The scientist in the opening scene, and whatever CG/practical effect they used to show the spores that she extracted moving, really sold it in a way that actually made me kind of sick.

Also the zombie kiss at the end is something that's really gonna stick with me. Was that in the game?