Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cruft posted:

Incidentally, how's Jellyfin these days?

Its good, except for the lack of smart collections and more manual setup process for getting the player logged in. Jellyfin can actually transcode Dolby Vision files without issue, which Plex won't do because they don't want to pay the licensing fees as a paid app.

Jellyfin seems to handle my Plex organized library better than Emby with little intervention from myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Corb3t posted:

Jellyfin can actually transcode Dolby Vision files without issue, which Plex won't do because they don't want to pay the licensing fees as a paid app.

Does this work for Profile 5 content on a non-HDR TV? Or do you mean something differently here.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

madsushi posted:

Does this work for Profile 5 content on a non-HDR TV? Or do you mean something differently here.

That’s exactly right - Jellyfin can tone map Profile 5 to non-HDR TVs without issue.

Jellyfin Release - v10.8.0 - Dolby Vision Profile 5 and 7 tone-mapping

Jellyfin also supports AMD hardware transcoding, something Plex has ignored for years.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 19, 2023

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

gariig posted:

ALSO, you need all of the clients to set their clients to Direct Play instead of wanting 720p 4 megabits.

I actually just recently found a Python script that will supposedly force clients to use the "Auto" setting instead of the default 720p one.
https://github.com/zmike808/BookOfBlackMagic/blob/master/magicbullet.py

It successfully ran for me but I haven't had anyone try to watch anything 1080p yet so I can't confirm if it works. and it does appear to be working.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 19, 2023

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Infuse has worked for every file I had trouble with in the Apple TV plex app. It even got rid of occasional dropped frames that plex was exhibiting. Very good for $12/yr.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Corb3t posted:

Jellyfin also supports AMD hardware transcoding, something Plex has ignored for years.

This is infuriating. AMD APUs are already quite abundant at this point, and will be even more abundant in the years to come as people pension off their Ryzen 7000-series rigs to NAS duties, they all have iGPUs.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Corb3t posted:

Its good, except for the lack of smart collections and more manual setup process for getting the player logged in. Jellyfin can actually transcode Dolby Vision files without issue, which Plex won't do because they don't want to pay the licensing fees as a paid app.

Jellyfin seems to handle my Plex organized library better than Emby with little intervention from myself.

Is there an app (say for Apple TV or Android TV) for Jellyfin? I remember when I examined it before that was the roadblock I encountered and why I stuck with Plex.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Sand Monster posted:

Is there an app (say for Apple TV or Android TV) for Jellyfin? I remember when I examined it before that was the roadblock I encountered and why I stuck with Plex.
looks like swiftfin is the way to go for now, at least while the project's in beta

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Plex now has more streaming users than media users (TechHive)

So, Jellyfin, eh?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

When my server was down (guess an update fixd it) we watched Attack of the Killer Tomatoes on streaming, it rules, thanks Plex.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And for all of those wondering why things like offline content, transcoding using Intel cards and anything else not related to streaming hasn't been prioritized for years, here's the reason. This was the end goal and they will continue because it's how they are making money. All of us that paid for lifetime plex pass aren't making them any money. So y'all had to see this coming.

I've been running Jellyfin in addition for a while. It works okay, some client side things are even better. What's not in any way okay is initial setup/connecting to a server. Sure, I can do it. You can do it. Now try to talk your mom through it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I am ride or die on plex at this point, I'm not teaching multiple elderly family members new software and interfaces.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Enderzero posted:

Infuse has worked for every file I had trouble with in the Apple TV plex app. It even got rid of occasional dropped frames that plex was exhibiting. Very good for $12/yr.

Agreed infuse is great. I have it syncing to my plex server, so if that goes tits up I will just switch to jellyfin or use NFS.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

kri kri posted:

Agreed infuse is great. I have it syncing to my plex server, so if that goes tits up I will just switch to jellyfin or use NFS.

I just tried this but one question do you just uncheck the jellyfin library from displaying? Otherwise I see everything twice.

I tried swiftfin but it's complete trash (slow, subtitles don't work right).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I just tried this but one question do you just uncheck the jellyfin library from displaying? Otherwise I see everything twice.

I tried swiftfin but it's complete trash (slow, subtitles don't work right).

Yes under settings - library. I have my plex libraries checked and my Nas share unchecked. This lets me manually navigate my Nas share for videos not in plex like sports.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

I am ride or die on plex at this point, I'm not teaching multiple elderly family members new software and interfaces.

This 1000%

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

Yep. I'm considering looking at alternatives like Jellyfin but it'll have to be something I run in parallel off the same media library. If I get rid of Plex it'll break some hearts

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

acksplode posted:

Yep. I'm considering looking at alternatives like Jellyfin but it'll have to be something I run in parallel off the same media library. If I get rid of Plex it'll break some hearts

I'll definitely be running parallel, but once I personally am using Jellyfin (or whatever) Plex is gonna bo/do what it's gonna do for whoever is till using it and that's the best I can offer.

If Jellyfin can come up with something, anything to help onboarding new user clients it could possibly change that plan.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I used Emby for a while when they first supported hardware transcoding before plex, but they eventually gated that behind a subscription and whenever I look, they seem like a slightly worse Plex that still charges for features

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Emby's sign up/login process is easier than Jellyfin, but it didn't handle my library's metadata very well, and I've been too lazy to fix it. I'm not quite sure I'm willing to invest in the Premium tier at this point, either, but I've got the Emby player installed on my streaming devices so I can see how the project is coming along.

I run all 3 services parallel, and I'm actually fine with Plex serving content to my users that isn't on my server (as long as they prioritize my server's content first - they certainly could be better about auto-pinning my library to user's sidebars, for example), but I certainly could see a situation where I force all my friends and family over to an alternate service at some point, because I hate being tied down to one software provider for anything.

Even if Plex is easier to setup, most of the time I go to a friend or family member's house and have to manually adjust their pinned sidebar items for them.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

I actually just recently found a Python script that will supposedly force clients to use the "Auto" setting instead of the default 720p one.
https://github.com/zmike808/BookOfBlackMagic/blob/master/magicbullet.py

It successfully ran for me but I haven't had anyone try to watch anything 1080p yet so I can't confirm if it works. and it does appear to be working.

Where do you run this? I’ve got plex in unraid with a few remote users and getting this up and running would be baller.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Delzuma posted:

Where do you run this? I’ve got plex in unraid with a few remote users and getting this up and running would be baller.

Any machine that's got Python installed. The config will tell the script how to reach your server. I ran it from my Windows desktop.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

Any machine that's got Python installed. The config will tell the script how to reach your server. I ran it from my Windows desktop.

Sweet thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
How well does Plex handle extra features like behind the scenes stuff from DVDs and Blu-Rays? I've got a few DVDs that are out of print and not streaming anywhere, I've long since ripped the actual movies themselves but would like to have some of the bonus stuff from the ones that were deluxes. I remember years ago it was kind of challenging, you had to basically name it as a separate version of the movie...is it more dummy proof these days?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I've been too lazy to do it, but here are some instructions for it:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/local-files-for-trailers-and-extras/

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Is there a way to convert a Plex server to Jellyfin? I have a bunch of custom names, descriptions, and posters that I'm not going to redo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

CopperHound posted:

This works well

Especially since a lot of releases already have them in the right folder

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

CopperHound posted:

If you go with the tag at the end of the file name, make sure you take extra care you spell everything right or it shows up as a separate file option for the parent movie

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Is there a way to convert a Plex server to Jellyfin? I have a bunch of custom names, descriptions, and posters that I'm not going to redo.

Not really. Hope Jellyfin can handle your library's local metadata properly and let it automatically do everything else.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It took all weekend, but Jellyfin has finally gotten itself into a state where it can respond in under 90 seconds. That's still not quick enough to prevent the phone app from timing out, but I can get to it with the browser.

Its indexing is pretty good. It made a couple of mistakes I can't logically explain, but overall, not bad.

Checking the process list, it's got this ffmpeg process going. I'm not sure what it's doing, but I did find a bug about page rendering being slow AF when it's indexing media. So maybe in another week or month, it'll be snappy? Here's hoping. I really hope Plex keeps a usable setup long enough that Jellyfin becomes a viable alternative for me, because right now, not looking promising.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
The past two nights around 9pm my Plex starts being unable to play videos. I’m watching on an Apple TV, and the videos are 1080p. I have a Seedbox setup and usually there are no problems, everything works perfectly. The same video will play fine at 3pm but in the evening it doesn’t. At the same time YouTube works with no problems.

Is this a case of my IP throttling Plex at certain times of day, or internet in general? Where would I look to try and figure this out? Router logs? Any tips?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

How well does Plex handle extra features like behind the scenes stuff from DVDs and Blu-Rays? I've got a few DVDs that are out of print and not streaming anywhere, I've long since ripped the actual movies themselves but would like to have some of the bonus stuff from the ones that were deluxes. I remember years ago it was kind of challenging, you had to basically name it as a separate version of the movie...is it more dummy proof these days?

In my experience when I add something that has additional features, it shows up as a version.

From the main menu click the 3 dots bottom right corner, and Play Version...

Then it shows up there (although I haven't figured out the naming it just displays the bitrate and quality of the file

Example :

That's my copy of CaddyShack. 1080p is the movie proper, 720p is the inside story , and 480p is another behind the scenes

So if I ever watch it I just have to remember which version to play

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rescanning sometimes fixes. I stick everything in a /Featurettes/ folder and it’s pretty good these days. It used to be awful at working out extras.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

cryptoclastic posted:

The past two nights around 9pm my Plex starts being unable to play videos. I’m watching on an Apple TV, and the videos are 1080p. I have a Seedbox setup and usually there are no problems, everything works perfectly. The same video will play fine at 3pm but in the evening it doesn’t. At the same time YouTube works with no problems.

Is this a case of my IP throttling Plex at certain times of day, or internet in general? Where would I look to try and figure this out? Router logs? Any tips?

So your Plex server isn't local? If it was me, I would start with trying to watch it through a VPN. If it works fine with a VPN that's a good indication your ISP are throttling Plex traffic.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Tea Bone posted:

So your Plex server isn't local? If it was me, I would start with trying to watch it through a VPN. If it works fine with a VPN that's a good indication your ISP are throttling Plex traffic.

I’ll try that tonight. If I can play through a VPN on my phone maybe I can airdrop to the TV.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

cryptoclastic posted:

I’ll try that tonight. If I can play through a VPN on my phone maybe I can airdrop to the TV.

I'm not sure if the VPN would interfere with being able to airdrop, but you could set the VPN up at the router level if not, if your router allows that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Might be worth changing the default port to something else in case they’re taking the simple route of messing with that rather than just traffic shaping. I know Plex and VPNs don’t play super nicely together but that might be more if the server is behind one rather than yourself.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Blue On Blue posted:

In my experience when I add something that has additional features, it shows up as a version.

From the main menu click the 3 dots bottom right corner, and Play Version...

Then it shows up there (although I haven't figured out the naming it just displays the bitrate and quality of the file

Example :

That's my copy of CaddyShack. 1080p is the movie proper, 720p is the inside story , and 480p is another behind the scenes

So if I ever watch it I just have to remember which version to play

https://support.plex.tv/articles/local-files-for-trailers-and-extras/#toc-2

go in and rename stuff using this guide, it'll then show below the actors listing, instead of your memory dance

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

What would I use if I wanted to automate scraping my movie library, finding stereo tracks, and remuxing the files to include them? The library is 5.1 and while it's downmixing to stereo fine I would prefer having a more lush stereo track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
So my drive containing my media is getting close to full again and I'm getting tired of picking & deleting shows I don't want around anymore just to make space. I've heard about transcoding my files to smaller file sizes - is there a 'set it and forget it' guide to this? Last time I looked you had to install this thing with a bunch of nodes and install plugins etc etc. I'd much rather select my media dir, pick some output formats and just press 'go'.