Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
You can also regenerate the bond ring RNG seed by starting a battle, immediately restarting it using the in-game menu, and leaving to go back to the Somniel, where you would then save and pull rings again. So if time is no object, you can arbitrarily force any S rank ring from your current emblem pools by spending as little as 100 bond fragments.

As mentioned above, if you pull a character you don’t want from Emblem A, and they’re in slot 1 for Emblem A, you can reset and re-pull to get any slot 1 character from the other Emblems at the same rank.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
claude's is also worth it because it turns out +1 range on alcyst (or etie if she remained viable for you) means even in a crowded chokepoint someone is going to die

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Why does Alear morph into Sigurd after the first panel

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

lol

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I'm crutching so hard on Olwen S dire thunder it's crazy

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Just finished Chapter 11. Chapter 10's presentation was incredibly well done and I loved it. Chapter 11 is trying to pull a Don't Speak Her Name but without the actual emotional attachment we had in Awakening at that point so it just feels like it was trying too hard. Oh well.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Natural 20 posted:

I am annoyed that Skirmishes appear not to exist on Maddening.

I've thrown 20k at field upgrades that apparently do nothing on this mode.

You can't even go back to maps to find animals you didn't get before!

Good news, they do exist but seem to be much less common than on other difficulties? Also, they may be time based. I got one finally after chapter 11. The bad news is the stats on the enemies in it are absolutely cracked and there's no way in hell I can beat it currently.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I really wish they would show the bonus effects from unit type for Emblem skills in the ring reference, it seems like there's actually a number of different possibilities hidden in them (like Divine Speed causing poison if equipped on a Covert type or Override having a break chance for Armored types) but the only way to find out is by equipping each ring on each different type of unit

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

blackmongoose posted:

I really wish they would show the bonus effects from unit type for Emblem skills in the ring reference, it seems like there's actually a number of different possibilities hidden in them (like Divine Speed causing poison if equipped on a Covert type or Override having a break chance for Armored types) but the only way to find out is by equipping each ring on each different type of unit

In the emblem ring screen display whatever ring you wanna check and cycle through the characters with R/L. Makes it zoom pretty fast.

On another note: are advance class skills limited to that class or can I reclass Celine once she gets her Vidame skill and still keep it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is Corrin just the best choice for Alear or is there another user that would somehow better use her?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

RoyalScion posted:

I'm crutching so hard on Olwen S dire thunder it's crazy

God I know. I'm worried about when I inevitably replay this game and I can't rely on it anymore. 3-range brave tome is just so useful.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Whoever mentioned turning Kagetsu into a general, it has worked out *very* well so far.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Am I missing something, or is there not a button that lets you zoom out on the battlefield map?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tae posted:

Is Corrin just the best choice for Alear or is there another user that would somehow better use her?
Well Alear is "always" the best choice because Dragon is the strongest type. The question is if Corrin is good enough for Alear!
It lets Yunaka deploy an Avo field wherever she goes which makes her untouchable, and it being on Alear means Byleth is not on Alear!

Last Celebration posted:

Am I missing something, or is there not a button that lets you zoom out on the battlefield map?
Down on the right stick

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So how do maddening fixed growths work? Are levels predetermined?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

jimmydalad posted:

So how do maddening fixed growths work? Are levels predetermined?

Effectively yes, everyone playing on fixed growth mode would always have the same level ups. The way it works is that once you "accumulate" 100% growth in a stat you gain 1 point, and the game also assigns a value equal to a unit's personal growth at base. Eg. Vander has 60% HP growth before class mods and 75% HP growth as a Paladin, so on his first level up he has 135% accumulated HP growth and he gains a HP point. The remaining 35% is then counted towards the next level up.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Clanne has natural 11 Mag at lv 7 so uh.... Guess who's getting Celica now? And also my DLC Spirit Dust.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

FrickenMoron posted:

Whoever mentioned turning Kagetsu into a general, it has worked out *very* well so far.

Yepp, General Kagetsu is a beast. Louis is still around but sad about it.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’ve found that, at least with Hard, I’ve been able to stick with a fair few of my starter units like Etie, Chloe, Lapis and Jade. Jean and Anna are magic babies that kill and while I am picking up new people here and there (Panette is absurd), its definitely manageable. I can 100% see how it wouldn’t work in maddening because Skirmishes pop up like flies for me and I’ve invested into places to level 3. You get poo poo like Bolganone and a Brave Axe which is interesting.

While the story is frustrating and mediocre for me, I absolutely love the gameplay.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Down on the right stick

Thanks, apparently it only works in the main menu snd not when the minimap’s up, that’s what was tripping me up.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I hope there will be music mods for the emulator version eventually so we can have some 3 hopes / FE Warriors tracks in the game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Emblem, ENGAGE

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
one real mechanical regression is that supports end up being really slow to build in this game since they're only increased if units are directly next to each other when attacking on your turn which is often somewhat awkward to make work, or when a unit heals another. there's no pair-up/adjutants to boost supports either and you don't even get support increases for chain attacks or anything like in three houses.

you also only have the cafe (and the arena i guess but it's not really much use there) to build up supports unlike the million methods three houses had, but that's not as big of a deal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

otoh maps are also pretty compact in this game so units usually wind up bunched together

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Big discovery: if you sleep in your bed and get the rank A wake-up call, all of the character's previous morning events are unlocked in the reminiscence menu, and all of them are important. Things I've learned about Yunaka this way:

-Zappy morning!
-She can do a pitch perfect Vander impression and a pretty strong cock-a-doodle-doo
-She plays the piano
-She is a cat person
-She could extremely easily kill you in your sleep, which makes her worry for your safety

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah there's a lot of characterization buried in completely random places. some of the bond ring convos have stuff that isnt anywhere else.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Big discovery: if you sleep in your bed and get the rank A wake-up call, all of the character's previous morning events are unlocked in the reminiscence menu, and all of them are important. Things I've learned about Yunaka this way:

-Zappy morning!
-She can do a pitch perfect Vander impression and a pretty strong cock-a-doodle-doo
-She plays the piano
-She is a cat person
-She could extremely easily kill you in your sleep, which makes her worry for your safety

I've been strongly considering giving her that ring whenever that unlocks, she's great.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Just at chapter 14 or 15 and have to take a break. It’s bright and colourful but it’s missing that heart.

I miss the level of characterisation in 3H.(Everyone except Byleth) Most of the characters were interesting and had a range of interests/backstories which interacting with other students brought out and enhanced. You really felt like you got to know the characters more.

I have to admit the characters in Engage are mostly one-note.

Hell, even awakening/fates had more characterisation in supports.

If I don’t care about these anime kids, it’s hard to care about the combat. No matter how good it is.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Could be a good idea to put that Corrin skill that gives you support points by just waiting next to each other on your units.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrew_1985 posted:

Just at chapter 14 or 15 and have to take a break. It’s bright and colourful but it’s missing that heart.

I miss the level of characterisation in 3H.(Everyone except Byleth) Most of the characters were interesting and had a range of interests/backstories which interacting with other students brought out and enhanced. You really felt like you got to know the characters more.

I have to admit the characters in Engage are mostly one-note.

Hell, even awakening/fates had more characterisation in supports.

If I don’t care about these anime kids, it’s hard to care about the combat. No matter how good it is.
honestly i disagree, i like this cast a lot more than the awakening/fates crews for the most part.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

honestly i disagree, i like this cast a lot more than the awakening/fates crews for the most part.

I agree, but it definitely feels like they get less opportunity to shine than 3h. Characters just get less screen time after their initial chapters with the exception of plot relevant ones like the royals.

In 3h some of the missions directly affected the characters (like Ashe and lonato) so you got to see more of them around that bit of the story and you had the paralogues for the actual characters instead of the emblems.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I like the cast a lot but it's honestly too many people. They could have cut all the retainers. and you'd still have ample room to assemble a team.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah I agree. Maybe down to 1 retainer though because I'm not giving up panette, etie or Louis.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, is the cast too many people? It's a normal size for a fire emblem game. Heck, it's a lot less characters than FE6. Again, I think people just aren't used to what Fire Emblem games are like after 4 years of 3H and Fates and Echoes having their own foibles. Really, in a lot of ways it's the first FE game to be like the FE6-FE9 era since, well, FE9.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Maybe. I honestly wish they just got some more screen time that has to do with the main plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I did like the character specific paralogues in 3H, but I get how that only worked in that game due to the smaller main cast size of each route and the game's structure. Likewise, I think people slightly overstate how much focus the 3H cast actually got in the plot. Some of them got stuff to do but even 4 routes and character paralogues some of them were still just kind of there.

And I could do without the entire army standing around in cutscenes going 'yeah!' occasionally like some 3H scenes boiled down to.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Between getting less screentime in the story, support points being more difficult to get and the sort of rotating nature of the cast where you sub in units as you go, I think it's pretty easy to feel like there's not much characterisation. I'm up to C14 and I haven't gotten too many C's between other characters. Louis is the only one pulling off B ranks. Definitely feels like they need to relook at the support points gained, it's not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

I did like the character specific paralogues in 3H, but I get how that only worked in that game due to the smaller main cast size of each route and the game's structure. Likewise, I think people slightly overstate how much focus the 3H cast actually got in the plot. Some of them got stuff to do but even 4 routes and character paralogues some of them were still just kind of there.

And I could do without the entire army standing around in cutscenes going 'yeah!' occasionally like some 3H scenes boiled down to.

There definitely a sweet middle spot to hit between the two though. And like ^^^^^ said, rotating the cast a lot since the new units are almost always better means less supports