Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I didn't know there was a new Sonic comic but Amazon randomly recommended the recent Scrapnik Island miniseries to me and I've gotta say I thought it was pretty neat.

Then I found out they've relaunched the whole brand. Having grown up with Archie, I'm tempted to ask if it's worth following.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
IDW Sonic ranges from "charmingly solid" to "actually really good"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I didn't know there was a new Sonic comic but Amazon randomly recommended the recent Scrapnik Island miniseries to me and I've gotta say I thought it was pretty neat.

Then I found out they've relaunched the whole brand. Having grown up with Archie, I'm tempted to ask if it's worth following.

IDW Sonic has been going on since 2018 and it’s good, yes (and unlike the Archie series is not only set squarely in the world of the games directly after Forces but might even be canon now since a previously comics exclusive character got a mention in both the English and Japanese versions of Frontiers and has appeared alongside another character from the same comic in two mobile games)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 24, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic comics of all shapes and sizes are firmly ftw

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Instrutilus/status/1617540520993226753

Sonic CD's infamous R2 has been given a name. Dubious Depths (If you go to level select it jumps from Level 1 for Palmtree Panic to Level 3 for Collision Chaos.) Other than the source being from someone's DMs they appear to have provided legitimate things in the past.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

If you read Archie past 160 or liked the writing in Sonic Frontiers, it's mostly the same writer, Ian Flynn. He's not the only writer any more, but the new ones (including Gigidigi from Cucumber Quest! She also does art!) are just about as good.

Plus the art is excellent

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the world needs archie sonic now more than ever

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The new villains they introduced recently are pretty cool, I hope we get to see Surge and Kisunami is the games one day. Although Starline himself is too busy of a design to fit the game asthetic :v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kikas posted:

The new villains they introduced recently are pretty cool, I hope we get to see Surge and Kisunami is the games one day. Although Starline himself is too busy of a design to fit the game asthetic :v:

Not...really?

No worse than Infinite or a well-dressed Avatar

Also - heh - he's based off the "**********/Wechnia" glitch from Knuckles' Chaotix, hence the name "Starline"

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

This Amy is av worthy.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

A Cup of Ramen posted:

This Amy is av worthy.

Yeah I kinda figured someone would want it for an av. Go for it.

(Honestly the other Amy and Tails probably are too, aside from being the wrong shape.)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wait wait wait wait.

Hiimdaisy writes the Sonic comic now?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Bad Seafood posted:

The IDW run is very very good, though I do feel it lacks a certain spark that the latter-day Archie run (2006-17) had. Something about how the staff managed to salvage this fascinating disaster of a setting and forge it into something ultra charming and fun that actually felt like Sonic (both in the writing and art) was really awesome. With the IDW comic, some of the Sega mandates on what they are and aren't allowed to do with game characters or the setting at large, having to rebuild an extended cast from scratch, and (for me I think one of the underemphasized points) the lack of notable recurring locations kind of make it feel hollow at times.

That all said I would still recommend it no question.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

MJeff posted:

Wait wait wait wait.

Hiimdaisy writes the Sonic comic now?
Wrong Gigi, I think, it's Gigi Dutreix who's working on the comics now.

Though to add to the confusion, gigidigi did do some writing and design on the recent Sonic animated shorts.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Halibut Barn posted:

Though to add to the confusion, gigidigi did do some writing and design on the recent Sonic animated shorts.

I think they did backgrounds specifically

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Halibut Barn posted:

My bad, I thought they were the same person. Still very good.

My only real complaints about the comic are:

1. A bit more focus on the OCs than I'd like. With limits on what they can do with the game characters I get it, but, like
Aside from the covers and one flashback, Sonic The Hedgehog was not in Sonic The Hedgehog: Imposter Syndrome. It also was just the start of the current story arc and didn't have much of a conclusion. That feels like a bit much. At least they could have not had him on the covers either.

2. Okay listen I know Sonic isn't about to start killing bad guys. It's not that kind of series. I get that.

They don't have to keep bringing it up as a thing he could and probably should be doing.

And obviously those are pretty minor complaints.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
starline, surge and kit were all very cool concepts but the latter two kind of sputtered out because they’re fundamentally at odds with how the heroes are written. it felt like the writers were expressing some frustrations in the latest arc

e: “cool” in the sense of having potential for kids’ comic characters. I will never suggest starline was cool in the traditional way. he was born with a wedgie

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Imposter Syndrome is a side story about those characters so it's not really a surprise that Sonic wasn't in it

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Oh poo poo, I didn't realise Origins had other Sonic 2 levels available for multiplayer outside of the classic ones. They really did a poor job promoting that game.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Captain France posted:

1. A bit more focus on the OCs than I'd like. With limits on what they can do with the game characters I get it, but, like
Aside from the covers and one flashback, Sonic The Hedgehog was not in Sonic The Hedgehog: Imposter Syndrome. It also was just the start of the current story arc and didn't have much of a conclusion. That feels like a bit much. At least they could have not had him on the covers either.

He also wasn't in Tangle & Whisper or Bad Guys. The whole point of those miniseries are to introduce or shine more of a spotlight on characters without Sonic needing to be around to justify it. It's basically the same thing Sonic Universe was doing, like occasionally Sonic was in it but it was largely a lot of extended cast stories, and it was, by and large, really good. And hey, Scrapnik Island is all about Sonic, and it's really good too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

He also wasn't in Tangle & Whisper or Bad Guys. The whole point of those miniseries are to introduce or shine more of a spotlight on characters without Sonic needing to be around to justify it. It's basically the same thing Sonic Universe was doing, like occasionally Sonic was in it but it was largely a lot of extended cast stories, and it was, by and large, really good. And hey, Scrapnik Island is all about Sonic, and it's really good too.

Technically he did appear in Tangle & Whisper but it turned out to be an imposter, otherwise yeah

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic universe was one of the best parts of archie sonic. when you've got a huge cast, use it!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What about when all the versions of Tails across the multiverse merged into a single ten foot tall Tails that was built like Lou Ferrigno and could shoot power beams?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
that wasn't sonic universe that was sonic 150 you fool!!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
One of the best stories was for sure The Worlds Collide, shame it had to erase itself from existance.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Unite might have been a bit all-over-the-place but you can never get me unhype for Sigma no-selling the Celestial Brush.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

What about when all the versions of Tails across the multiverse merged into a single ten foot tall Tails that was built like Lou Ferrigno and could shoot power beams?

If StC Tails got mixed in there he would cancel all that out

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

StC Tails was good in the main stories, but the guy who did his standalone stories basically wrote him with the courage and assertiveness of Piglet.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Maybe I wouldn't have had a problem with it if all of the covers weren't a fight between Sonic and Surge that didn't happen in the miniseries. (Or if I had had more to read immediately from the library, instead of that being the only new bit of the comic up for a few months.)

Either way, I did say it was a minor complaint.

(I'm caught up now and it's still good. Surge is great, obviously.)

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Captain France posted:

Maybe I wouldn't have had a problem with it if all of the covers weren't a fight between Sonic and Surge that didn't happen in the miniseries. (Or if I had had more to read immediately from the library, instead of that being the only new bit of the comic up for a few months.)

Either way, I did say it was a minor complaint.

(I'm caught up now and it's still good. Surge is great, obviously.)

unfortunately, characters going head to head on the cover only to not actually fight in the story is a comic classic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems that a Frontiers 2 is a strong possibility in the future and will likely play more like the Adventure games:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/01/23/sonic-frontiers-2-may-play-more-like-sonic-adventure-suggests-director-18152629/amp/

Still no release date for the DLC as far as I can tell though

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The boost levels are the weakest part of Frontiers. Returning to the more loose Sonic Adventure style levels would be a very welcome change.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Provided they play decently enough it might be interesting to bring back the concept of multiple character stories that intersect with one another as well (which we haven’t seen since 06 though they’re kind of doing that on a smaller scale with the upcoming DLC, I guess Episode Shadow in Forces could kind of count as well)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They clearly were having reservations about the boost in Frontiers given how anaemic it was in the cyberspace levels, so I am all in favour.

I suspect as well that they are aware of how half-empty the open zones felt, so taking the basic structure of Frontiers but scaling it down a bit into something closer to Adventure is probably the best of all worlds.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The boost was so weird in Frontiers. That little bit of upward momentum it gave you took a long time for me to get used to in the cyberspace levels.

Frontiers had a lot of weird quirks like that that showed up mostly in cyberspace, like the insane amount of dead time you had after homing attacking an enemy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Magnet dashing/ boost canceling is really fun, but it's clearly an edge case that was kept around during testing, rather than designed for.

I really hope that the next Sonic game, even if it builds on Frontiers, is designed around a fun and distinctive movement mechanic or two in mind. That could be a refinement of the magnet dash, a revised homing attack, or something new. Boosting is fun, but it's better served as a run button than the center of gameplay.

MJeff posted:

Frontiers had a lot of weird quirks like that that showed up mostly in cyberspace, like the insane amount of dead time you had after homing attacking an enemy.

It feels like the game wanted to punish your time score for taking actions that are "automated" like homing attacks and light dashes in favor of more analog movement like the homing cancel and slope momentum. Unfortunately, only a handful of cyberspace levels were designed with those techniques in mind and even fewer have strict enough S-Rank requirements to push players in that direction. It was also unusual to see how important ground movement was to maintaining Sonic's speed in this game and how that sort of conflicts with the "top route" philosophy of Sonic games historically.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 27, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sega has some cute calendar art apparently.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
egg divination...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Release the magical princess blaze and the egg game, coward Sega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Amy doesn't do oomancy, she does cartomancy! I certainly hope somebody got fired for that blunder

And on the biolizard's birthday, of all days!