Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

gay picnic defence posted:

That's been happening a bit over the last couple of years. You just gamify it enough that it isn't considered an investment and any profits you make are tax free. A guy at my old job was right into some NFT horse racing game which effectively was an investment in Etherium and maybe some other crypto poo poo but because it was a 'game' you wouldn't pay any tax. Wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be a scam.

"The guy selling you the game saying you won't owe any tax" is very different from "you won't owe any tax".

You do in fact owe tax on any gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It becomes simple to understand when you realize that this is just a complicated NFT minting event with a lovely game attached

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They're also selling micro-transaction boosters for their game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm going to assume it's also a miner of some kind too.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ups_rail posted:

a sewer pass lol

a FREE sewer pass that also costs a few k somehow

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Nostalgic now for the flash game where you surf down a pipe

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm looking forward to the next one*, I kinda unplugged from the Crypto thing around 2020 (hmm, I forget why... :corona:) and from skimming this thread it seems I've missed some wild A+ drama

* There WILL be another one, I hope? @divabot

There had better be, there's got to be an interesting read in NFT drama as well as side stories like El Salvador trying to become Crypto Country, but I could imagine Gerard is holding out because if Square Enix ever actually takes a big NFT dump all over itself rather than just talking about it and blueballing us, that's almost certainly going to be a wild tale.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PurpleXVI posted:

There had better be, there's got to be an interesting read in NFT drama as well as side stories like El Salvador trying to become Crypto Country,

I dont get why el salvador even tried to do that.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
El presidente got the brain worms

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

on top of the monkey toilet game costing thousands of dollars to play at all, it has a pay2win mechanic where you can pay about :10bux: to get lower cooldown/higher scores for just 10 real time minutes

lol

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

My favorite little local Chinese place still has those cookies with FTX fortunes inside. Literally they're all about accepting volatility and taking risks and I've never seen such a baldfaced attempt to rip off regular people. And the fact that it's FTX is even funnier.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m enjoying the contempt they’re openly displaying towards anyone stupid enough to get involved with their apes by having the game emerge from a giant butthole and revolve around chasing turds

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

MokBa posted:

My favorite little local Chinese place still has those cookies with FTX fortunes inside.

I'm sorry what

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

https://www.coindesk.com/web3/2022/12/12/in-the-wake-of-collapse-ftx-fortune-cookies-are-still-on-the-menu/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Similar problem with the people shilling gold as a protection against a US currency collapse.

Ok so any day now the apocalypse is going to hit and the dollar will go to zero, and you're happy to ship me your precious precious gold in exchange for nothing but worthless fiat paper because (?????)

Fortunately for them their business model is selling to morons who don't ask questions like that.

Frequently they ship you certificates of deposit saying your gold is held securely in their vaults, a piece of paper definitely super useful when the value of paper with legal significance has collapsed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cookie expiration dates are further out than crypto scam expiration dates

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

MokBa posted:

My favorite little local Chinese place still has those cookies with FTX fortunes inside. Literally they're all about accepting volatility and taking risks and I've never seen such a baldfaced attempt to rip off regular people. And the fact that it's FTX is even funnier.

I got those, too! I didn't realize they were FTX... I would have saved one.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My local ran out of those but they were all they had for a year or so.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Jabor posted:

"The guy selling you the game saying you won't owe any tax" is very different from "you won't owe any tax".

You do in fact owe tax on any gains.

You don't get it, the law basically functions like magic spells - if I say the right words in the right order, the judge will just have to accept that I've bested him.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

smellmycheese posted:

I’m enjoying the contempt they’re openly displaying towards anyone stupid enough to get involved with their apes by having the game emerge from a giant butthole and revolve around chasing turds

it's a giant sewer level, well known to be everyones favorite thing in video games

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The reason the tax code is so vast isn't because taxes are difficult to calculate on a per-person basis, it's because everything is income, except and then it goes on for enough pages to comfortably employ a large swathe of the American professional class.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/emilyjnicolle/status/1617846676030631937https://twitter.com/emilyjnicolle/status/1617846683056115713

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yep, that's definitely something you do accidentally

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
BREAKING: BITCOIN ERROR BAKED INTO THE ORGINAL CODE LEAKED FUNDS INTO FOUNDERS PERSONAL POCKET ACCIDENTALLY, AGAIN

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

ikanreed posted:

Yep, that's definitely something you do accidentally

Anything crypto-related is a constant challenge to hanlon's razor

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

big if true

https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1617909778482860032

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ah, yes. Systematically unappealable grades is clearly going to play in students' favors.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 24, 2023

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I love all these blockchain projects that assume all blockchain developers, regardless of skill or competence, must be better than the professionals in the industries they are trying to disrupt

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I love all these blockchain projects that assume all blockchain developers, regardless of skill or competence, must be better than the professionals in the industries they are trying to disrupt

they are usually markedly worse

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Big if true

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Jorp makes a great point. You simply can't trust human systems, they're too prone to errors and corrupt motivations. That's why we have to replace them with systems designed by me, the perfect human.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's a common assumption in tech and academia. In Academe it's "Your field is really just a specific application of my field"; in tech, it's usually just straight arrogance.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Salt Fish posted:

Jorp makes a great point. You simply can't trust human systems, they're too prone to errors and corrupt motivations. That's why we have to replace them with systems designed by me, the perfect human.

On top of being a biologist now he's also apparently a programmer wait just kidding he's an everyday scammer and also maybe a muppet?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

MEIN RAVEN posted:

On top of being a biologist now he's also apparently a programmer wait just kidding he's an everyday scammer and also maybe a muppet?

Look, I really wish you'd stop making fun of the guy who fixed my life, Professor Kermit B. Quaaludes.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
WSJ reporting the SEC has rejected applications to go public from:

-Circle (issuer of the USDC stablecoin)
-eToro (a Robinhood competitor that embraced pooptouching)
-Bullish Global (dunno, but the name is :barf:)

Surely, this is good for bitcoin

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MokBa posted:

I'd rather get a fortune that said I was going to have sex with my mother.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lammasu posted:

I'd rather get a fortune that said I was going to have sex with my mother.

Why not, everyone else has.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Agents are GO! posted:

Why not, everyone else has.

You joke but when my mom left my dad for another man I didn't talk to her for nearly a decade.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Popete posted:

Looks fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR9N0QXiPLo&t=238s

Reminder nobody actually knows what the reward for being top player even is.

This is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wonder why Beeferson might want academia on the blockchain away from the hands of meddling administrators.

https://twitter.com/brondumkm/status/1618035131205419008?t=_Mf23T1gtXlBRc0WjK8wZw&s=19

There it is.