Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Strawberry Panda posted:

I suck rear end at this deck. Any tips for piloting?

Sorry been a bit since I checked the thread. I'm bad at being an explainer but so far it's come down to keeping board presence at all times and knowing when exactly to burn the equalities and city taxes.

Just stay alive with whatever you have, save the order in the court cards for when you when to drop the Light rays and cariel.

Keep in mind you will never win vs an armor druid. Everything else has been kinda smooth aside from the odd frost DK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Weird, I got a daily to play 50 battlecry cards that says it'll award 1800 XP. Or at least, it's in my daily section and the weeklies shouldn't be refreshing until tomorrow night.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
there's a rare daily quest that's a duplicate of the 50 battlecries weekly, not a bug

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Interesting, well then. I'll take the extra 600 xp I guess.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Any idea how long do they plan to have undead in every BG game?
I get the point of letting everyone play the new tribe but it makes games pretty dumb. It's so stuffed with undead that you can be the only one trying to play another tribe and still can't get a cohesive board going.
So you go undead and rush 6 ASAP because first to get the snowball 5 and 6 minions wins. It's still mostly fun but it has also caused me to get MAD at this game mode for the first time.

My last game, I was in first place, and in the first group to level 6. Grabbed Anub, and then spent 4 turns mashing refresh without being offered a single reborn or anything that'd allow me to pivot before someone hit me in the face for 30+ with anub, abomination and a golden reborn buffer dude.

I gotta say though beasts are pretty crazy with the new undead horse thing. The one game I've come in 1st without using undead came from a beast build where I never saw a macaw, and it still wasn't even close.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
They're in all lobbies for the first two weeks, then in 75% of lobbies for the next two weeks

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Patch notes WHEN

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Probably not at 6AM Pacific, just sayin😀

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Probably not at 6AM Pacific, just sayin😀

I just want to play some Warlock friend :saddowns:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Honestly, if they want to fix the meta, just slap reborn on random undead cards. It worked for Battlegrounds! /s

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Patch notes coming on Thursday. (sigh)

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Patch is coming thursday
https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1617946038257520664
Glad they're hitting Ghoul of the Feast. That one felt to easy to utilize for how safe it made you while leveling

Edit: I guess grey means redesign?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

nerfing all of the top performing decks...except Mine lock. Which will now become the fastest combo in a slower meta

:shepicide:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Would it be too much if Astalor stayed virtually the same butt shuffled into your deck instead of going to hand?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Anyone got that list in text form, I’m bad at picking out card art. Bottom left of the standard nerfs especially

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Blasmeister posted:

Anyone got that list in text form, I’m bad at picking out card art. Bottom left of the standard nerfs especially

Nerfs:

Death Knight: Glacial Advance

Demon Hunter: Sinful Brand, Final Showdown

Hunter: Shockspitter

Rogue: Wildpaw Gnoll, Sinstone Graveyard

Neutral: Astalor

Buffs:

Death Knight: Battlefield Necromancer, Boneguard Commander, Unholy Frenzy

Demon Hunter: Vengeful Walloper

Druid: Wither

Mage: Vast Wisdom, Energy Shaper

Paladin: Timewarden

Priest: Haunting Nightmare, Bonecaller, High Cultist Basaleph

Warlock: Infantry Reanimator, Dar'Khan Drathir

Warrior: Asvedon, Disruptive Spellbreaker, Last Stand, Remornia, Nellie

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

stole it from reddit but that post also stole anyways :argh:

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Excelzior posted:

nerfing all of the top performing decks...except Mine lock. Which will now become the fastest combo in a slower meta

:shepicide:

I've been combo'd by turn 7 twice by Minelocks lately, it's very annoying. One of them even discarded their second weapon! I suppose you can tech weapon removal if they get too common. Silence too, but they can play around that easily enough.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Sad to see Astalor get nerfed, but am interested in DK buffs

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Excelzior posted:

stole it from reddit but that post also stole anyways :argh:

Thanks regardless.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
For rogue I think it's pretty safe to assume the nerf to the location will be that the "ghosts" no longer have stealth which is what pretty much everyone has been asking for.. I am shocked that none of the concoction stuff took a hit, and I'm curious to see what they do to the Gnoll.. the interaction with potion belt is too extreme for it to just be a 1 mana bump, they need to kill that card.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Was Astalor problematic? What part? The 8mana, 16 damage?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sandwolf posted:

Mostly just the sheer playrate, from what I've heard. The final stage is the part people dislike the most so that's the part that's most likely to get nerfed, especially once people get multiple copies of that battlecry through various means, but it really is that everyone runs it. That ubiquity was fine with Zilliax, but Zilliax was mostly used as a reasonable utility tool in most decks and not a secondary win condition that also has a lot of utility.

Also, calling it now, Astalor is dead if they make it shuffle the next copy into the deck. Most of the utility that you're definitely getting a big chunk of armor-gain in hand immediately, and you're definitely getting a big chunk of random damage after that. If you have to draw it, it becomes another control tool that's too slow for the current meta.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Yeah, I'm running a 40-card Paladin deck right now and having Astalor get reshuffled in after each of the first two plays would be a pain unless I could play an Order In The Court to get the third phase toward the top of the deck.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I'll agree with the poster above me and say that there was nothing really wrong with the design of the card. To the extent that the card was overtuned it was that you could cheat out Brann and the 8 mana Astalor on the same turn for 32 damage, or Rogue could bounce any of the various stages of Astalor back to their hand multiple times for way more damage than that across multiple turns, or if you were a Druid you could play Brann into Anub'Rekhan into 5 mana Astalor into 2 copies of the 8 mana Astalor for 64 damage in one turn... basically the card was OP because of other poo poo which is known to be problematic that is currently in the game (Brann, Wildheart Guff, Shadowstep).

**interesting piece of Hearthstone history: with this nerf, Wildpaw Gnoll is the most nerfed card in standard Hearthstone history! nerfed 3 times (and buffed once) in just over a year in standard. The card that Blizzard couldn't get right lol.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 24, 2023

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

also toss hunter copying it via Devouring swarm onto the pile

basically getting to copy the effect of extremely strong battlecry cards is powerful??? who would've thought???

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’m hoping it’s just a slight nerf to Astalor, like the third copy dealing 6/12 damage instead of 8/16

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Starsfan posted:

I'll agree with the poster above me and say that there was nothing really wrong with the design of the card. To the extent that the card was overtuned it was that you could cheat out Brann and the 8 mana Astalor on the same turn for 32 damage, or Rogue could bounce any of the various stages of Astalor back to their hand multiple times for way more damage than that across multiple turns, or if you were a Druid you could play Brann into Anub'Rekhan into 5 mana Astalor into 2 copies of the 8 mana Astalor for 64 damage in one turn... basically the card was OP because of other poo poo which is known to be problematic that is currently in the game (Brann, Wildheart Guff, Shadowstep).

**interesting piece of Hearthstone history: with this nerf, Wildpaw Gnoll is the most nerfed card in standard Hearthstone history! nerfed 3 times (and buffed once) in just over a year in standard. The card that Blizzard couldn't get right lol.

I know I’m preaching to the loving choir here but wouldn’t it be so much easier (and healthier for the game) to just loving fix (or remove) Brann, Guff, Shadowstep?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

I know I’m preaching to the loving choir here but wouldn’t it be so much easier (and healthier for the game) to just loving fix (or remove) Brann, Guff, Shadowstep?

they've all but confirmed Brann is getting rotated in April, as for the rest :shrug: if theyre rotated maybe theyll revert the dozens of cards that paid for their sins?

hahhah jk this is hellworld

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

all three of those are quite possibly going away in 3 months... I mean Guff certainly is and I have to imagine at some point they'd prefer to just send Brann back to wild instead of continuously nerf battlecry cards every patch. I have my fingers crossed for shadowstep also departing at that time (though not holding my breath).

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I dunno, I'm not really a fan of the phoned-in inevitablity. Astalor's probably a perfectly fine card balance wise, but just like denathrius it's pretty much a stop-gap to guarantee games don't go to fatigue anymore. I liked hearthstone better when games could sometimes come down to fatigue and value generation, instead of it being a crazy race who can highroll the fastest.

But I think hearthstone is just not that game anymore, probably never really was and likely never will be again. I don't know what the nerfs and buffs will be, but I doubt they will fix what's fundamentally wrong right now. I'm not even sure if I care enough to know. Maybe I'm not the target audience anymore. I've played since beta, but maybe it's time to finally let go of hearthstone for a while.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there are 2 problems with Astalor IMO:

a) the play rate (having one card in 80% of decks is not good for the game IMO, too often games are coming down to who got it in their mulligan and who didn't)

b) getting multiple copies so you can do 16 damage 2 or 3 turns in a row which is basically a guaranteed win (and gain 10-15 armor so you're more able to survive that long)

in general I don't think neutral win conditions should really be a thing, it just makes the game feel much too samey when everyone's playing decks that are essentially the same gameplan only with a different hero power

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sandwolf posted:

Guff: Probably should have been nerfed earlier, but it was one of the big cool cards for the class and, even if the class was too good, stupid amounts of ramp was the only interesting thing Druid had for a while so they didn't want to poke it too much. Besides, going to twenty mana was probably some designer's pet mechanic.

Brann: Probably should have been removed earlier, but they decided they're going to give the League of Explorers one last hurrah in Standard this year because everyone loves them. And then it took so long to sink in that Brann's the real problem no matter how cool it is to see him again that they may as well just wait for rotation and not make a publicly embarrassing decision and remove him.

Shadowstep: Probably should have been replaced by equivalent cards, but comboing a bunch of tiny spells and bouncing units is such a key part of Rogue's identity that they'd need to come up with some really interesting cards to replace it. And you'd probably still have a similar problem with the replacements, because Rogue's class identity is just annoying that way.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think the best solution to not outright kill Astalor would be to swap the Battlecries with the Manathirsts. That deals with Brann and also slows him down so you can't just tempo the early stages if you want the last one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Astalor is just an op neutral card with no deckbuilding restrictions I dont get what he's for.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Battle.NET goes down again today for me. One win away from legend playing Reno DK (currently 17-6) as well as one win away from my 69th DK win. Terrible timing.

Here's the list if anyone wants it. There's probably room for optimization, but it's a Reno deck, so who the hell knows.

### xdd
# Class: Death Knight
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 1x (1) Body Bagger
# 1x (1) Icy Touch
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 1x (2) Far Watch Post
# 1x (2) Hematurge
# 1x (2) Obliterate
# 2x (2) Vampiric Blood
# 1x (3) Asphyxiate
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 1x (3) Nerubian Vizier
# 1x (3) Sunfury Clergy
# 1x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 1x (3) Vulpera Scoundrel
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) Death Strike
# 1x (4) School Teacher
# 1x (5) Blood Boil
# 1x (5) Corpse Explosion
# 1x (5) Spammy Arcanist
# 1x (6) Corrupted Ashbringer
# 1x (6) Gnome Muncher
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (7) Alexandros Mograine
# 1x (7) Patchwerk
# 1x (8) Soulstealer
# 1x (9) The Sunwell
#
AAECAc38BRyW6AP36AOljQTlsASWtwSW1ASY1ASa1AS42QT04wT94wT+4wSU5ASV5ASJ5gSP7QSE9gSH9gSy9wSz9wS2+gSrgAWogQWimQXUoQWXpAWfpAXipAUBieQEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I wish Hearthstone Deck Tracker kept track of how often you beat/lose overwhelming odds. In the last 2 days I've been died to <3% lethals, at least 10 times (including 3 <0.6%), on rounds where I was favored to win 70-90% of the time. I also haven't killed a single opponent who I had a 90% chance of lethal on in the last 15 games, or had a ghost fight in 2 days - even though I've been the lowest health in the lobby a lot and haven't fought them before. I know Battlegrounds is a game of RNG, but I feel like I am in serious outlier mode. I've won a single round where I had an under 20% chance to win in the last 2 days.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TyrantWD posted:

I wish Hearthstone Deck Tracker kept track of how often you beat/lose overwhelming odds. In the last 2 days I've been died to <3% lethals, at least 10 times (including 3 <0.6%), on rounds where I was favored to win 70-90% of the time. I also haven't killed a single opponent who I had a 90% chance of lethal on in the last 15 games, or had a ghost fight in 2 days - even though I've been the lowest health in the lobby a lot and haven't fought them before. I know Battlegrounds is a game of RNG, but I feel like I am in serious outlier mode. I've won a single round where I had an under 20% chance to win in the last 2 days.

The deck tracker still isn't 100% accurate, so just don't worry about it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

You should try an arcane dynamo, right now there are only five 5+ mana spells for DK so you have a high chance to get The Scourge or at least a Frostwyrm's fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Chernabog posted:

You should try an arcane dynamo, right now there are only five 5+ mana spells for DK so you have a high chance to get The Scourge or at least a Frostwyrm's fury.

Not in standard sadly