Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SpacePig posted:

Hey, you know what? Cool. I'm glad this is happening.
:hmmyes:

Always darkest before the dawn

But:

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

You've done it Hori, you brought back the only 2 characters I still liked and it rocks. Don't gently caress this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

otoh i enjoy the gentle and la brava stuff even if it feels way late and very rushed, and otoh it's insanely funny that rather than "nagant died for nothing" we have simply amended the vigilante deku outcome to "literally nothing happened"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was hoping they'd do exactly this with gentle coming back and doing his bouncy castle to redeem both his failure to save that guy and his time as a villain

good ch

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

HellCopter posted:

I won't say that this 'made it all worth it,' but it's great! And you know why? Because it appears to actually be working and Gentle wasn't immediately blown up to invalidate his victory.

Yeah I agree and it reinforces an old take which is that Hori should be writing a story about a bunch of villains rather than this one because he's way better at making them compelling.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Valentin posted:

otoh i enjoy the gentle and la brava stuff even if it feels way late and very rushed, and otoh it's insanely funny that rather than "nagant died for nothing" we have simply amended the vigilante deku outcome to "literally nothing happened"

It's incredibly funny that this also means that AfO is apparently incompetent enough to implant an explosive in someone's face and torso cavity but apparently not a big enough explosive to kill them or permanently cripple them somehow.

Gentle's big moment here is cool, even if it's out of nowhere. The thing I'm worried about is that the manga has given characters plenty of cool moments in this arc and then immediately snatched them away or made them irrelevant or had AfO/Shigaraki instantly no-sell them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah I agree and it reinforces an old take which is that Hori should be writing a story about a bunch of villains rather than this one because he's way better at making them compelling.

In a better world, this would be about the villain cast, with All for One popping up now and then to be a delightfully petty rear end in a top hat.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really don't like the cops in this series. "Maybe... Criminals aren't subhuman, since this one nearly died stopping a prison riot"

Neither of them should be in jail.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

I really don't like the cops in this series. "Maybe... Criminals aren't subhuman, since this one nearly died stopping a prison riot"

Neither of them should be in jail.

This is even funnier considering that in this specific scenario the outlaws and villains are 100% completely winning and have almost every advantage, so anyone who is still fighting on the side of the heroes and law enforcement is absolutely not doing it for nefarious reasons or out of their own self-interest.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you think Gentle and Nagant met before this whole thing started?

"So how do you know Midoriya"

"Oh, he stopped me from ruining his school festival for the sake of my failing YouTube channel, How about you?"

"I'm a trained assassin and I was hired to murder him."

"Ah...I see...I think I hear La Brava calling me, gotta go!"

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Valentin posted:

it's very funny that the two major outcomes of the Nagant fight was 1: Deku goes to some mansion that blows up and 2: Nagant blows up and neither of them mattered at all. Everyone's fine.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kanos posted:

It's incredibly funny that this also means that AfO is apparently incompetent enough to implant an explosive in someone's face and torso cavity but apparently not a big enough explosive to kill them or permanently cripple them somehow.

Absolutely she's in competition with One Piece's Pell for most preposterous survival.

Fifty years ago, there was a comic book villain named the Yellow Claw, who died on stage and left a visible corpse. Two issues later the writers decided they wanted him back, so they had a scene where all of the Yellow Claw's minions are at his funeral, crying because their evil friend was dead. Then the coffin's lid blew off and he sat up. "Fools! The Yellow Claw lives!" And that was all the explanation we ever got.

My Hero's a superhero comic, and people just come back in these. It just means she was cool.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Wait, you all thought that Nagant was dead? You should've known that all that explosion did was remove the donated Air Walk quirk from her. I just don't like her being back because she's padding out the story just by being here. The sooner MHA is over, the sooner I can go looking for better Narutos.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Another funny thing about this situation is I'm pretty sure Shigaraki and All For One have absolutely no idea who Gentle is. Every other former villain that is involved or could potentially get involved has had some sort of connection to the villains, but Gentle and La Brava are just some youtubers.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Another funny thing about this situation is I'm pretty sure Shigaraki and All For One have absolutely no idea who Gentle is. Every other former villain that is involved or could potentially get involved has had some sort of connection to the villains, but Gentle and La Brava are just some youtubers.

Well...

Shiggy's a gamer, so who's to say he hasn't seen Gentle's videos in the sidebar when looking up League strategies with Spinner?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's a subscriber, absolutely.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Still a bad chapter, but at least there's a cat in it

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Nagant is cool but that arc had a lot of issues, letting Nagant somehow survive makes everything even dumber. Gentle and La Brava rule enough that it makes up for everything. This is actually the story of how Gentle became the greatest hero.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-378/chapter/26137?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015314

Nothing can stop the power of "Da Pump"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man, it loving sucks that all these guys get a badass save/hilight that immediately gets undersold by another more awesome save.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cool that Shigaraki with full access to all his quirks can get dismembered from a slightly stronger than normal bullet, when with no quirks he was tanking explosions and plasma cannons.

Gentle was cool tho.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Incredibly powerful group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHMaIluGaX4

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

oh jay posted:

Cool that Shigaraki with full access to all his quirks can get dismembered from a slightly stronger than normal bullet, when with no quirks he was tanking explosions and plasma cannons.

Gentle was cool tho.

Yeah, my feeling about guns in stuff like this is that it's fine to unrealistically portray them as useless, or even to ignore them entirely, but it's bad to include them in inconsistent ways.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, my feeling about guns in stuff like this is that it's fine to unrealistically portray them as useless, or even to ignore them entirely, but it's bad to include them in inconsistent ways.

I mean its a quirk gun right? Firing some sort of drill bullet?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If animals can have quirks, surely guns can have them too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Whatever happened to Snipe?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Rhonne posted:

Whatever happened to Snipe?

I'd speculate he'll get a moment to save Nagant from getting killed by Shigaraki in the next two chapters, but that feels more like something Hawks would end up doing because he's the popular character.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Imagine if Snipe went for kill shots back in USJ.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Former antagonists are getting more spotlight than the majority of Class B.

Zeron posted:

If animals can have quirks, surely guns can have them too.

I don't remember this being One Piece.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They’re more important.

Class B are largely meaningless side characters outside of like 3 dudes why would you expect them to show up in a big way?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They’re more important.

Class B are largely meaningless side characters outside of like 3 dudes why would you expect them to show up in a big way?

I expect some of Class B to show up more, not necessarily in a big way, because we got a big arc introducing all of Class B.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Apparently the Big Three are the only students from their year who are any good at being heroes and the second (now third) has no one good or useful enough to contribute to this big war. I'm thinking that UA isn't as good a school as it's cracked up to be.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the copy guy was probably more useful than bakugo, really.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I vaguely remember when Bakugo did things

Wonder how his new heart's going to handle constantly exploding to make him go faster

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I vaguely remember when Bakugo did things

Wonder how his new heart's going to handle constantly exploding to make him go faster

I'm more worried about how the heart surgery is going with all the chaos happening around them right now, including the whole place falling for a bit.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Totally forgot about bakugo and now im lolling about it again

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Remember when we spent a bunch of time introducing and spotlighting those guys from the other school like Wind Guy and Meatball Guy?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Kanos posted:

Remember when we spent a bunch of time introducing and spotlighting those guys from the other school like Wind Guy and Meatball Guy?

They made decent drama for the moments they were introduced in, though - Meatball for showing off Kaminari, and Wind Guy for milking more Todoroki family drama. Didn't need to be more than that. It's why Shindo coming back in 2021 felt so infuriating.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This series has far too many characters as it is. Please show fewer characters.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

SpacePig posted:

This series has far too many characters as it is. Please show fewer characters.

But we're already getting a relentless torrent of Bakugo, Aizawa and Endeavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Aizawa's entire contribution to this arc has been like two lines and sitting next to Monoma to let him use his power.