Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

raifield posted:

This part of the case always seemed a bit strange to me. Why couldn't they have just eaten the steaks and tossed the bones in the incinerator? There being nothing on the plates doesn't actually prove anything.

Sal is too gross to clean up after himself and Dee wouldn't lower herself to menial cleaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
People in this thread are badly underestimating the strength of several layers of duct tape.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

raifield posted:

This part of the case always seemed a bit strange to me. Why couldn't they have just eaten the steaks and tossed the bones in the incinerator? There being nothing on the plates doesn't actually prove anything.

You might want to check sal's testimony on the duration of the break and the time it takes to eat a t-bone.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Honestly surprised that they're using a prop with an actual sharp point and real heft to it. Considering that this is a show where the Steel Samurai is fighting people in nothing more than funny costumes, that was a negligence suit waiting to happen.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The tip is actually made of foam and absolutely nobody bothered to ask about.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Blastinus posted:

Honestly surprised that they're using a prop with an actual sharp point and real heft to it. Considering that this is a show where the Steel Samurai is fighting people in nothing more than funny costumes, that was a negligence suit waiting to happen.

if you've ever seen classic tokusatsu it becomes very clear, very quickly that the studios have to have big life insurance policies taken out on their extras, with the amount of live pyrotechnics that they set off around people in unitards and on motorcycles

as the suits get bulkier this gets worse. i can recall a good few ultraman episodes where the kaiju just legitimately catches fire on-camera

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

raifield posted:

It's all about doubt. Why would they eat the steaks and then throw the bones in the incinerator?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Also, a big part of being a lawyer is throwing off the witnesses. If they didn't throw the bone into the incinerator but did throw something else or even all of those into the incinerator, that's going to trip them up answering your question. They may unintentionally reveal something.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nidoking posted:

It's all about doubt. Why would they eat the steaks and then throw the bones in the incinerator?

Also worth noting that the lower ranked employees didn't clean their plates up (likely the staff that would have done so weren't allowed back in time after the area was declared a crime scene), so there's no expectation that the higher-ups, especially those in an important meeting with limited time to eat (Powers had enough time to nap, after all) would have cleaned them up.

In a more sane world it would be extremely weird for everyone involved to not have cleaned up their plates and put them somewhere to be taken away, but this is Japanafornia and anything goes. Also, if they had actually cleaned their plates off using the incinerator, the plates would almost certainly be stacked together with the silverware on them.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Nidoking posted:

Because Japanafornia doesn't have lots of landfill space, and T-bone steak bones count as burnable trash?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The incinerator thing is absolutely something carried over from Japan, yeah.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 70: Episode 3, Final Day, Trial: Duct Tape

This situation came up once last episode, though we didn't have a penalty attached that time. We need to back off here, and came at this problem from a different angle. I think last episode it was about Miss May having an alibi?

Pretty much anyone would.

Now what do you mean by that? They said the spear was heavy the other day, but that was more about saying that only Powers could have wielded it.

You see?

Yes...

Meaning?

Sound: Realization

You know, I was never convinced that the spear was the murder weapon. Or that Hammer was killed in his costume, at Studio One (the scene of finding the body looked staged, and there was no blood anywhere). Yet I still didn't take that skepticism one step further and figure out that Hammer was in the Steel Samurai costume. Ah well, I'll get over it someday.

quote:

Let's explore our other options. Maybe she could use the spear somehow? Prop it up against something maybe?

Sound: Desk Slam

It's not impossible!

Well, maybe it's not impossible, but--

Silence.

I'm speaking.

Mmmph!
Sound: Whoops

The victim was stabbed through the chest from the front, yes?

I believe this would indicate that the victim was aware of the killer's presence.

Now, the Steel Samurai costume is quite light and mobile.

Compared to the victim, I am weaker and slower...

I couldn't possibly win such a fight!

Not to mention, there is proof I did not have the spear!

The photograph of the Steel Samurai shows that the victim himself was holding it!

Or do you mean to suggest that I could have wrested it away from him?

Y-yeah! Take that, Wright!

If you still think she did it, show us proof!

Umm... er...

Hey, Nick.

Look at the data we have on that Samurai Spear in the Court Record.

Isn't there something in there that gets to you...?

Something odd about the Samurai Spear...?

Wait!
Sound: Light Bulb

Something the matter, Mr. Wright?

S-sorry, Your Honor.

I'd like to take back my previous claim.

Very well, I won't hold you to your claim.

But I'm afraid I will have to penalize you.
Sound: Damage 2

There go two health sections!

(Ugh...)

What's this? You're taking back your claim?

Let's backtrack for a moment.

I want to consider whether the witness could have used the Samurai Spear or not!

However, that has no bearing on this case!

Meaning?

The Samurai Spear was not the murder weapon!

quote:

How about just admitting that we don't know?

I don't know.

You "don't know"!? What kind of a lawyer are you!?
Sound: Whack

Quiet. I'm speaking.

M-m-mmph!

You "don't know"!? What kind of a lawyer...

I don't know whether you could have fought with the Samurai Spear...

However, that has no bearing on this case!

Meaning?

The Samurai Spear was not the murder weapon!

That's right, this option is actually a valid answer as well! So even though there's a penalty on one of the options, we have a good chance of guessing right anyway, and we proceed no matter what choice we make!

Music: Silence

Sound: Stab

Ms. Vasquez has a pretty clear tell here. Whenever we state a fact she doesn't want known, she makes this face.

Sound: Gallery

Sound: Gavel

The spear was found lying next to the victim's body!

I have proof, Your Honor.

Looks like we're being prompted for evidence again. This one's actually easier if we take the penalty because Maya gives us a hint, but the answer is in the question.

The spear itself tells us - how could such a flimsy broken weapon really kill someone?

quote:

Choosing anything else is, of course, incorrect:

The judge actually just shakes his head at us here.

Wrong, Mr. Wright.

But I haven't said anything yet...?

I know you well enough by now to know when you're going to present the wrong evidence.

I can sense it too, with my Fey blood...

(Okay, okay, so I picked the wrong evidence! Enough with all the sensing!)

Right. Okay, here's the real evidence, Your Honor.

Sheesh, tough crowd. No penalty here, so we just go back to the evidence prompt to try again as much as we want. Which I may have done over and over to make sure nothing else had any alternate dialogue...

Music: Objection!

Not so fast.

But, someone fixed the spear.

She fixed it with duct tape!

Now tell me, how is it possible...

Duct tape can be pretty strong, but I guess it's more likely the spear head would have bent off again rather than penetrated.

O-order! Order!

Think about what you're--

Sound: Objection

I'm the one testifying here and I will be heard!

I do rather enjoy the Edgeworth-Vasquez routine we have going on today.

Are you quite sane?

A rare moment where the camera pans over to Phoenix for someone else's line.

How was Hammer killed?

I think I've got this one.

Hey, as far as you know, I've never been wrong on this save file!

quote:

We don't really have the option of not guessing at the murder weapon, as you might expect.

Of course I can't.

"O-of course"!?
Sound: Light Bulb

Can the antics, Wright!

I have to agree, Mr. Wright. At least pretend that you think you might know!

(Urk. Note to self: think before speaking.)

(Tough crowd...)

It's a classic "But thou must!" loop! We're brought back to the same prompt over and over again until we do what the judge said and at least pretend to think to know the answer...

Obviously this is all the proof we need.

Nick!

Huh? Think?

Please!

(Hmm. She has a point.)

Something the matter?

Very well, let's see this murder weapon, then.

Maya saw us slyly reaching for our attorney's badge, didn't she? Anyway, all wrong answers get the same dialogue there. Do you know the right one?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Gotta admit, I’m stumped.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I think this is one of the few times in the series where the case's ending is foreshadowed right at the start. Usually, it's a twist that comes out of nowhere.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah I never would have guessed that Mia was clubbed dead by some weirdo in a pink suit with diamonds, really took me off guard

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

mr. sahwit betrayed my trust

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

yeah I never would have guessed that Mia was clubbed dead by some weirdo in a pink suit with diamonds, really took me off guard

I'm including that in the "few". Maybe I'm just misremembering the series, it's been a long time since I've played. I don't remember them operating like an episode of Columbo.

...excuse me, I need to write a quick crossover fanfiction, be right back.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

raifield posted:

I'm including that in the "few". Maybe I'm just misremembering the series, it's been a long time since I've played. I don't remember them operating like an episode of Columbo.
In most games it's just the first case. In this one it's the first two.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

As all games are meant to be standalone, the first case is the tutorial. Having the culprit be clearly shown is part of that, although there are exceptions. For example I don't think Great AA Chronicles, the one with Nick's grandpa* in Victorian London, shows the murderer in its tutorial case.

*or possibly great grandpa?

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022

Omobono posted:

As all games are meant to be standalone, the first case is the tutorial. Having the culprit be clearly shown is part of that, although there are exceptions. For example I don't think Great AA Chronicles, the one with Nick's grandpa* in Victorian London, shows the murderer in its tutorial case.

*or possibly great grandpa?

Neither of the two TGAA games do, and in both there is more than one witness you can plausibly accuse, too. These games are very good, even by AA standards.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Luca_024 posted:

Neither of the two TGAA games do, and in both there is more than one witness you can plausibly accuse, too. These games are very good, even by AA standards.

The Chronicles games are awesome. I really wouldn't mind having a chance to see Ryunosuke again, as I kinda like him more than Phoenix.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

The Chronicles games are awesome. I really wouldn't mind having a chance to see Ryunosuke again, as I kinda like him more than Phoenix.

Ditto. I would enjoy screenshot LPs of those games.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
The thing is, I know what the weapon was, but I don't know how to point it out.

Edit: Took a look at the available evidence, and it was clear as day. Gotta have to stop running my mouth like that. Also, I like that it doesn't require a new thing, but rather something that was overlooked

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm still stumped. Oh well, I'll find out tomorrow, I suppose.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dunno why everyone's dancing around it, there's really only one possible answer.

It's Mrs. Monkey's Head; he was clubbed dead with a clock statue. We've solved two cases so far, we know how murder is done.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I dunno why everyone's dancing around it, there's really only one possible answer.

It's Mrs. Monkey's Head; he was clubbed dead with a clock statue. We've solved two cases so far, we know how murder is done.

Clearly Phoenix's Attorney Badge was used to bash him repeatedly. Why else would it be the only piece of evidence not used yet?

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

edit: nothing to see here, my mouse didn't double-click on its own somehow, no....

DKII fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 31, 2023

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 71: Episode 3: Final Day, Trial: Déjà Vu

Apparently there have been a lot of lurkers just waiting for the one poll where they were absolutely sure of the answer.

Anyway, we just learned about a mysterious death at Studio Two five years ago. And the top of that fence looks suspiciously spear-like. Maybe the death last week happened the same way!

Look at this photo.

Sound: Guilty

W-what is this?

Sound: Gavel x 3

O-order! Order!

Mr. Wright!

What is this all about!?

There was an unfortunate accident at Global Studios.

Not a word of this was leaked to the outside.

It was a close-kept secret at the studios.

Mr. Edgeworth...

You still can't see it?

Are you saying...!?

Yes.

Music: Telling the Truth

Sound: Gavel x 3

Mr. Wright! Continue!

It's 2:30 PM on the day of the murder!

Then she did it!

She pushed Mr. Hammer off the stairs onto the fence!

Sound: Stab 2

Bonus points for using a "stab" sound effect in the proper context. Can we take a break to go test that fence spike? Otherwise I'm not sure how we prove any of this.

Though whether she did it on purpose or by accident, I cannot say.

Oh look the mean-but-strained face is back.

He died in the same way that he caused another man to die...

Sound: Guilty

They're really hammering home this image. :rimshot:

Precisely.

Ironic, isn't it?

I could use a man like you on my script writing staff.

Mr. Wright.

And in the Evil Magistrate's costume, no less.

Are you then claiming that I carried the body to Studio One...

How could I have disposed of the body!?

Isn't this one obvious? She dumped it in the van and drove it over later I guess? The meeting ended at 4:00 PM, and the body was found at 5:00 PM - seems like plenty of time there. Or did it have to happen during the break, and we have to figure out how the path wasn't really blocked during that time?

Could Jack Hammer have been pushed off the stairs to his death...

then carried to Studio One and placed inside his costume?

Hmm... indeed.

No penalty here. It looks like we either have another "admit defeat" situation with the first option, or bring up our theory with the third option. Or just bluff with the second option I guess. Let's just get to the heart of the matter here.

other than with her own hands?

quote:

Before we go too far down that road, let's explore the paths not taken. Like last time, bluffing is not the answer here.

You'd be surprised! I bet she could do it!

When people think their life depends on it, they can do amazing things!

Mr. Wright, this is not an episode of "That's Incredible."

I don't usually comment much in these, but that reference goes back to the early '80s!

If you claim she did everything in 15 minutes...

(Let me guess: "Show Me Proof!")

Correct! Show me proof!

(How am I supposed to do that...?)

Then I won't have you making unsubstantiated claims!

(...)

(Wait a second, how does he know what I'm thinking!?)

Hah!

I need only look at the cold sweat running down your face to know what you're thinking!

Mr. Wright. Perhaps you'd like to reconsider your claim?

Well, Mr. Wright? How could she have dealt with the body?

Sheesh, everyone is onto our antics now. We get to try again here, and could even pick the same answer again, but it just gets the same result.

quote:

Admitting that Ms. Vasquez couldn't handle moving the body directly just leads us into our theory anyway.

15 minutes is kind of a short amount of time...

You see?

Even I cannot do the impossible.

Therefore, Mr. Wright.

I didn't do it. Agreed?

Not agreed!

?

What if she had another way to carry the body,

other than with her own hands?

From here the scene plays out the same as the option we chose; we just get a bit of extra dialogue this way.

And there was a way for you to carry that body.

I-interesting! Let's hear it then.

Music: Telling the Truth

Mr. Wright?

This one's too easy to stop and poll the audience, and the update's too short anyway. Let's push on!

I spotted this one the moment the van was introduced as evidence.

Ms. Vasquez.

You carried the body to Studio One.

quote:

Our badge - and anything else we have - each just produces a generic failure reacton.

Dee Vasquez used this to carry the body to Studio One!

Mr. Wright...

Your Honor?

Mr. Wright, how can you carry a dead body with that?

Umm...

Please rethink your statement.

Please show us how she carried the body.

We're sent back to try again until we get it right!

Music: Objection!

Vasquez is legitimately shocked by the least-stunning revelation yet.

I was fatigued, so I had Sal take me.

There was a van there, right? I had Sal drive me.

You used the van to carry the body to Studio One!

Where did the Magistrate costume come from? Was it just waiting there at Studio One, ready for the rehearsal that day I guess?

Sound: Stab 2

Hold on, Wright!

Yup! Everyone we talked to yesterday said that Sal was a nobody who only got a shot at director thanks to the producer's favor, and as a result Sal was a terrified yes-man who would do anything she said. But...

It's more fun to pretend he wasn't!

Of course he wasn't!

Hah!

Then managed to put the body into the costume...?

Are you seriously suggesting that is possible!?

I was kidding. To, er, lighten up the proceedings.

Li...light...

Sound: Super Shock

Mr. Wright.

Y-yes, Your Honor.

Fine, fine.

quote:

If we do claim Sal is a conspirator, we just skip the previous scene and move straight on to the next one.

Of course, Sal Manella has to have been a conspirator!

There's no way Ms. Vasquez could have done that alone!

Also, neither Sal Manella nor Dee Vasquez left a steak bone behind. So they clearly both skipped eating lunch during the break. What else could make Sal miss a meal?

They had to... because it was covered in Mr. Hammer's blood!

Well, Ms. Vasquez!

Shall I continue!

No need.

Hmph.

We...won? Already?

(I... win!?)

Everyone is stunned into silence.

So, case dismissed?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

You appear to have posted twice.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

is this an elaborate deja vu joke

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Gosts posted:

is this an elaborate deja vu joke

I wish I were that clever.

My mouse has been randomly double-clicking when I press down lately, probably time to replace it after too many years. I would've thought SA wouldn't let a double-post through like that, though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The case is over?!

Objection!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
[Max Payne slash Gumshoe voice]

The witch saying “You win” was the cue for her army of goons to storm the courthouse and attempt to help her escape. Fortunately I was on scene again to save my pal with expert shooting and bullet time!

Wait, this isn’t that kind of game.

So the fence was the murder weapon. Nice. I never would have guessed that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh hey, it's nice to have a culprit who realizes they've been beaten. I guess it doesn't have to be a long drawn out thing every single time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

DKII posted:

My mouse has been randomly double-clicking when I press down lately, probably time to replace it after too many years. I would've thought SA wouldn't let a double-post through like that, though.

Mine's started doing that again, also recently, despite the program I downloaded to correct the problem the first time it happened years ago. I'm pretty sure it's Windows updates, strange as that may sound.

I continue to be surprised at how many of the choices this late in the game don't carry penalties, especially when the answers are obvious.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
[Modnote: This is absolutely a spoiler even if it's vague, don't be doing that]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 31, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know you can read my thoughts, Edgeworth...

badge badge badge badge

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Come on dude, it's a blind LP and you just post this poo poo? Surely it can't be THAT hard to just...keep it in your pants, yeah?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 31, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

GilliamYaeger posted:

Come on dude, it's a blind LP and you just post this poo poo? Surely it can't be THAT hard to just...keep it in your pants, yeah?

But if it's that hard is when you whip it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Come on, dude.