Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hadlock posted:

I'm sure VW TDI or whatever work completely differently

It depends if it's a modern one (common rail) or older one (pumpe duse).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My experience with 80s Peugeot diesel engines is they work that way. When they released the turbo diesel versions in the 90s it was trivial to have them make so much torque to grenade the transmission in any gear. The engines themselves would be fine because they were all cast iron and shared with their commercial vehicles so fairly chunky.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

No idea what this is but it looks like a kid's toy car and I like it.

https://twitter.com/whiptheyacht/status/1617280369556090881?t=ObkJd7Ydr0i1zh6LA1dtqg&s=19

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sadi posted:

All diesel is direct injected. So those tractor injectors were mechanically injected diesel injectors.

For the full teaching value, a bit of pedantry; all diesel is injected, but not all diesel is direct injected. Until the 1980s most small/mid size automotive diesels were indirect injected, where the injectors sprayed the fuel into a recessed precombustion chamber in the cylinder head, which has a narrow throat connecting it to the main combustion chamber.

The two systems are a choice between smashing (relatively) low pressure fuel into high pressure air (indirect) or high pressure fuel into low pressure air. Indirect systems were cheaper to make in mass production, allowed higher rpms and greatly reduced the clatter and knock of a diesel. On the downside they lost some efficiency in comparison to direct injection, were much harder to start when cold and often didn't take to turbocharging (especially at high boost and power levels) as well. Direct injection was the opposite - more expensive to build, less refined, easier to start and much more amenable to making a lot of power from heavy forced induction.

The high pressure pumps can vary as well - old-school mechanical types can be a distributor (similar to the dizzy on a gas engine) where one pumping element rotates to feed one fuel line pet injector in sequence, a multi-element plunger pump (one pump per cylinder, arranged in a single unit and timed and actuated by an internal camshaft) or unit injectors (where each injector contains its own HP pump, driven directly by a camshaft - these are usually found on bigger industrial/marine/heavy equipment engines. Modern common rail engines have a single circuit, containing fuel pumped at very high pressures , with the injectors tapped straight from that circuit and the timing handled by electronically controlled solenoid valves.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I went a googling. Super lite sl-c. Kit cars from Michigan. Kinda neat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

I went a googling. Super lite sl-c. Kit cars from Michigan. Kinda neat.

Nice find!

Semi-ignoring the lack of knowledge gone into this tweet, Cubans keeping these old cars alive is very loving cool.

https://twitter.com/ztisdale/status/1617184905439461376?t=xl9O9wqELhlCT3hDFgXWrA&s=19

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BalloonFish posted:

For the full teaching value, a bit of pedantry; all diesel is injected, but not all diesel is direct injected. Until the 1980s most small/mid size automotive diesels were indirect injected, where the injectors sprayed the fuel into a recessed precombustion chamber in the cylinder head, which has a narrow throat connecting it to the main combustion chamber.

The two systems are a choice between smashing (relatively) low pressure fuel into high pressure air (indirect) or high pressure fuel into low pressure air. Indirect systems were cheaper to make in mass production, allowed higher rpms and greatly reduced the clatter and knock of a diesel. On the downside they lost some efficiency in comparison to direct injection, were much harder to start when cold and often didn't take to turbocharging (especially at high boost and power levels) as well. Direct injection was the opposite - more expensive to build, less refined, easier to start and much more amenable to making a lot of power from heavy forced induction.

The high pressure pumps can vary as well - old-school mechanical types can be a distributor (similar to the dizzy on a gas engine) where one pumping element rotates to feed one fuel line pet injector in sequence, a multi-element plunger pump (one pump per cylinder, arranged in a single unit and timed and actuated by an internal camshaft) or unit injectors (where each injector contains its own HP pump, driven directly by a camshaft - these are usually found on bigger industrial/marine/heavy equipment engines. Modern common rail engines have a single circuit, containing fuel pumped at very high pressures , with the injectors tapped straight from that circuit and the timing handled by electronically controlled solenoid valves.

Cool, thanks everyone. I don't really know poo poo about diesels so that's very interesting.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Humphreys posted:

I'm sure theres a joke somewhere.... But I'll leave it
Something Something Slur

:catstare: This is not the ford truck forum or vwvortex. Fuckoutta heah with that kinda poo poo.

For even more information on the oldschool indirect and rotary pumps I'm gonna borrow from a post from a few months ago.

cursedshitbox posted:

How do diesels work? How does mechanical injection pumps work? Carburetor principles. AKA loving magic. That's how.

But no, not really.

If you're not familiar this is your standard diesel thermodynamic model. It's similar to how a gasser works in a way but it's also vastly different. With compression ratios anywhere between 15-22:1 there's no need for a spark plug. The air is heated beyond the autoignition point of diesel through the forces of compression alone. Where in a gasser your spark plug would fire near tdc for the power cycle, it is now replaced with your fuel source that operates for the same reason.
https://i.imgur.com/96q9Qrs.mp4

You with me? Awesome. In a gasser timing is very important for the power output and efficiency of the engine. In some cases it'll even ruin the engine itself if it is too far advanced. Diesels care about this sorta thing too. However, they're also a lot more robust. Too far advanced or non advanced and it'll lead to wasted fuel, smoke, high exhaust gas temps, damaged glowplugs if it has them.

There's a bit of a technology divide with more modern engines. Cars are going through this now with port injected being the old way and direct injection being the new hot thing on the block. Smaller engines went through a phase where they were indirectly injected. Saved on fuel system development costs. Made for a (smoggier) but more efficient engine. It packaged smaller. It's quieter in operation which is important to customers with discerning ears. Not that any of us could tell.

This Old Farm Truck is of the Indirect variety. Dirt rear end simple. With a compression ratio of 21.5:1 it'll run on nearly anything but water. Do not give it water.

The engines of this era used what's called a poppet valve for an injector. no electronic controls. Just a mechanical pintle and a preset spring.

It stays closed until the pump sends high pressure fuel its way that overcomes the spring force and forces the pintle open.
The leak off line is there as a return and to smooth out any water hammer like effects that you'd see in a house. The pintle/spring and delivery valve can be quite harsh and this is its damper.

Still with me here? No? oh well. We're doing this anyway and can't stop won't stop.
I'm going to ignore unit injectors and focus on the rotary pump since that's what this truck has. It has a rotary element like a distributor does for an old car. Each injector has its own line. Every line is carefully routed to not have excessive lengths than its adjacent cylinders or else it'd cause timing issues with the fuel pulses.

This is the Roosa Master DB2 injection pump. There's a lotta poo poo going on here. Don't worry, it's not that difficult.

Fuel enters at #3 and travels between 3-6 then jumping to number 11. The rest of the system controls how much and when

(#12 the inset is an air bleed for the head)

An exploded view.

And its hydraulic diagram. It's fairly simple, not to worry.

Let's start where fuel enters the system. The Transfer pump.
Fuel comes in from the right. Pressurized, and leaves to the left. It comes with a built in pressure regulator that you see above. It's a rotary vane style pump. This is a major wear item in the db2.
It's not the high pressure delivery pump but rather the supply pump for it. It requires a lift pump from the fuel tank to feed the transfer pump.

Being a rotary vane, we've all seen them before. Air injection (smog) pumps, air conditioning system vacuum pumps, diesel supplemental vacuum pumps, all use the same style of pump.

The rotary vanes and their swept surface are the wear item.
Side view of the same system.

The thin plate and regulator also make up the viscosity compensation system. The orifice allows leakage of fuel to return to the inlet side of the pump. Flow through this orifice is unaffected by viscosity changes. Biasing pressure exerted on the backside of the piston is determined by the leakage past the designed clearance of the piston in the regulator bore and the pressure drop through the orifice. With cold fuel, there's little leakage. With hot fuel, leakage increases. Fuel pressure in the spring cavity increases also. The increase in pressure helps the regulating spring.

This is the drive shaft with the transfer pump at the very end and the all speed mechanical advance with the high pressure plunger assembly at the other end.

From here fuel makes its way to the head. Here it is pumped to the required 1700PSI pressure and primed as the rotor spins. When the rotor gets to the the required cylinder passage fuel is then sent into the delivery valve that meters the start/stop operation of the injection sequence, then it makes its way to the injector where it can get on with business.

The rotor assembly with the all speed mechanical advance and transfer pump relative pressures.

The high pressure charging cycle. As the rotor spins there's two passages in the rotor that registers with the charging annulus. Fuel from the transfer pump controlled by the metering valve flows into the pumping chamber forcing the plungers apart. The plungers move proportional to the fuel required for injection on the next cycle.

The 'high pressure' circuit with the delivery valve and discharge fitting. The delivery valve is designed to create a sharp cutoff between injection pressure and not injection pressure. It reduces residual leakage which can lead to smoke, high egt, poor fuel consumption, etc.

When injection starts, the delivery valve moved slightly out of its bore and adds the volume of its displacement section "A" to the delivery valve spring chamber.

#12 in the above inset is a bleed valve. Basically this is its operation is to bleed the head.

The all speed mechanical advance.

This is its circuit feeding with transfer pump fuel on the left and housing pressure to the right.

The purpose here is to provide a mechanical timing advance based on rpm and status of load.

The plunger assembly at the bottom does all the brain work while the rotor does the gruntwork.

The transfer pump pressure has to overcome the nearby spring and the dynamic injection loading on the cam in order to change the cam's position. The reed valve prevents the cam from returning to its non advanced position during injection by trapping fuel in the piston chamber. This bore is a wear item. Fuel will leak down and the advance gets rather lazy if at all operational. The leaf spring is known for cracking at high miles and the rollers can also wear adding to the advance failing to work properly.

And a map of its operation. The trimmer screw is for fine tuning the advance start movement.

Externally there's an adjustable cam that also can be adjusted to fine tune the advance map.

A test to see if the advance is working is while idling, pull on this large rocker arm. If the engine's note does not change, the advance is non functional.

Then the governor.
The governor's job is to maintain the desired engine speed within a preset range under a variety of load conditions.

This one like most any other governor relies on centripetal forces working on the flyweights.
As the weights are tipped outward they move the thrust plate agains the governor arm which pivots on the knife edge of the pivot shaft which rotates the metering valve.
The forces on the governor arm caused by the weights is balanced by the governor spring which is controlled by the foot throttle.

As load is reduced and engine speed increases the weights rotate the metering valve clockwise to reduce fuel. This limits the speed increase to a value determined by the governor spring and the foot throttle.

As load is increased and engine speed decreases the metering valve will rotate anticlockwise to increase fuel.

You now know more than most people about an obsolete technology nobody cares about. I glossed over some bits and pieces as they're minor players compared to the rockstars that have gone out and partied too hard on gritty farm fuels.

This is relevant because the truck will intermittently not start hot, the advance fails the arm test, the cold idle advance seems to also be broken, and it has a weird running issue right at 2100rpm where if the governor is held solid, the engine speed will wander high then sag back down slowly like a lean condition on a gasser.

Sources/further reading:
http://www.stanadyne.com/dealerportal/ssi/english/Product%20Manual/99834.pdf
https://radionerds.com/images/f/f4/Stanadyne_db2_operation_and_instructions_manuals.pdf

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:aaaaa:

https://twitter.com/ListerLawrence/status/1617971372936040448?t=GmPFXAknELklH7v3sD0aaQ&s=19

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

wow, that’s cool… haven’t seen a design that uses the C-pillars before. as a kid I really wanted a Del Sol Transtop. then I grew to 6’5” :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4B0rXvwX4I

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

snugglz posted:

wow, that’s cool… haven’t seen a design that uses the C-pillars before. as a kid I really wanted a Del Sol Transtop. then I grew to 6’5” :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4B0rXvwX4I

that seems massively overcomplicated for a Civic

it looks like something out of MASK and should launch disks

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Rei

https://twitter.com/LulaOficial/status/1618381056218136577

(Lula with former Uruguayan president Jose Mujica)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Mujica and his Volkswagen were both super cool.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As far as politicians go, president Jose Mujica absolutely slaps. Lived in his modest homestead with his bug and tractor, never stirred up poo poo, hugely popular

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

televiper posted:

that seems massively overcomplicated for a Civic

it looks like something out of MASK and should launch disks

There's a reason you'd struggle to find a working one these days!

And Nissan have previously done some super lovely special edition 350/370s but this would actually rule?

https://twitter.com/YoshidaFumihiro/status/1618471611346350081?t=hurX6P4UWB_olvF4tqDeXA&s=19

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Nice of them to show off one they used for crash testing I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Whelp, that's enough internet for today.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Garbage picture because some stupid big truck was in the way but spotted this at Costco today.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

WTFBEES posted:

Garbage picture because some stupid big truck was in the way but spotted this at Costco today.

Honda Actys are cool as heck

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 27, 2023

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

The perfect Costco vehicle

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

WTFBEES posted:

M*A*S*H

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

m*a*s*h

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I am not a fan of living in California most of the time, and then this happens. I was pulling up to a local hardware store in my pathetic EV, when I hear a glorious engine noise, and this pulls to a stop in front of me.

I immediately ask the driver (a dude in his 80s) if I can get a picture, and he says sure! He bought this car new in the 60s, had it dropped in the 70s, and his dog (barely visible in the picture) loves riding in it, so he drives it as much as possible.

It is immaculate, I peeked underneath, and it was so clean.

Then I asked him if he would open the hood...

It is a Stroker

Sometimes the Bay Area does not suck.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That color fuckin rules.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

MrYenko posted:

Everything about that fuckin rules.

Yeah I agree

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Those early ElCo's really look cool.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I love early ElCos so much.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want an El Camino.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is there a tailgate or does that tonneau cover lift up or something? What does the bed look like?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

There is indeed, a very chunky tailgate (possibly out of the station wagon parts bin). The bed would be built from the pickup truck parts bin, possibly with different cut-outs for the rear inner fenders.

I like the windshield wiper delete.

The hard tonneau is custom. I’m probably going to build one for the ‘65 Econoline later this year.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 28, 2023

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Spotted a beauty in a sea of bland.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

There is indeed, a very chunky tailgate (possibly out of the station wagon parts bin). The bed would be built from the pickup truck parts bin, possibly with different cut-outs for the rear inner fenders.

I like the windshield wiper delete.

The hard tonneau is custom. I’m probably going to build one for the ‘65 Econoline later this year.

Gosh drat I had never considered the early El Caminos as just two door wagons without the wagon bits. I kind of forgot about two door wagons to begin with, and this explains the VERY wide bed rails and deep tailgate.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yooooooooooooooooo

quote:

I never knew this special edition Subaru Leone existed, which could be because I'm not a snow skier, or perhaps because I didn't grow up with JDM's or USDM's. This special car, which Hoonigan recently celebrated, is all about that snow-skiing life. While there are no performance modifications, there is skier-specific hardware (that pod on the roof), and the styling, both inside and out, is very striking. Driveline: EA-81 flat 4 engine (1781cc), 4 speed manual (Dual Range - FWD/4WD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNVF7Y8F7Uc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Everything about that fuckin rules.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I am not a fan of living in California most of the time, and then this happens. I was pulling up to a local hardware store in my pathetic EV, when I hear a glorious engine noise, and this pulls to a stop in front of me.

I immediately ask the driver (a dude in his 80s) if I can get a picture, and he says sure! He bought this car new in the 60s, had it dropped in the 70s, and his dog (barely visible in the picture) loves riding in it, so he drives it as much as possible.

It is immaculate, I peeked underneath, and it was so clean.

Then I asked him if he would open the hood...

It is a Stroker

Sometimes the Bay Area does not suck.

See America... you CAN do Utes correctly! It's a thing of beauty and I want one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of utes...

https://twitter.com/AHONDAPRELUDE/status/1619137271265120256?t=Clc-k4yIufTYj3UapgmO5g&s=19

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

weg posted:

Spotted a beauty in a sea of bland.

Those things look so good. I need to see if my old neighbor still has a stockpile of those in various stages of restoration and hot rod.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Humphreys posted:

See America... you CAN do Utes correctly! It's a thing of beauty and I want one.

We could, except these upside-down idiots stole all our precious Ute-technology and guard it with poisonous everything so we can't have it back!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I want an El Camino.

1969 Elco is on the list. Had a 1980 one but being a G Body… uuughhhhh all those vacuum lines. Oh and the doors rotting through of course.