Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Azathoth posted:

At a minimum, they're highly likely to have the economic connections that allowed them to not have a reliable income for a couple years while spending a shitload of money on high production value videos before they could cultivate a sufficiently large audience to be self-sustaining. Seems like every time someone digs into one of the "self made" ones, it's found out that they're a scion of some moneyed family or have an uncle who was the CIA station chief in Damascus in the 70s.

You can tell from the houses these people live in

*looks balefully at battered, scuffed hardwood floor*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hooplah posted:

i'm sure plenty of the most popular new media people have intel/mic connections.

esp. the i loving love science youtuber crowd i don't trust at all

on the plus side i think they probably haven't yet penetrated the makeup tutorial ecosystem

the military egirls do makeup tutorials

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

the military egirls do makeup tutorials

ya but they just want what's best for me

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hooplah posted:

on the plus side i think they probably haven't yet penetrated the makeup tutorial ecosystem

yes, but they would be experts on cover ups ...

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hubbert posted:

yes, but they would be experts on cover ups ...

:dadjoke:

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

fanfic insert posted:

Hey Cached Money

explain whats going on with the electricity prices and how and why its being handled the way it is

i want to see your take on it.

deregulation and selling out our national resources to capitalists is basically the answer, also the magic of the free market (being forced to sell our power to other EU countries makes the price go up). also our current government are absolute dogshit right wing dipshots

animist
Aug 28, 2018
all the gaming youtubers go hard right as soon as they break 20 million subscribers but that might just be a quirk of gamer psychology

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

fanfic insert posted:

Hey Cached Money

explain whats going on with the electricity prices and how and why its being handled the way it is

i want to see your take on it.

Is this related to what's happening in southern California right now? Seems ruinously unsustainable for a lot of people

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Hooplah posted:

i'm sure plenty of the most popular new media people have intel/mic connections.

esp. the i loving love science youtuber crowd i don't trust at all

why would you think that? the CIA is in the business of creating disguises that looks normal to someone standing 2 feet away. it's not completely outside their wheelhouse

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
https://youtu.be/EPvmIxu-LSA

This is the only video on YouTube that's not an op

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

endocriminologist posted:

https://youtu.be/EPvmIxu-LSA

This is the only video on YouTube that's not an op

:emptyquote:

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

Is this related to what's happening in southern California right now? Seems ruinously unsustainable for a lot of people

no idea what going on in california but europe has an energy crisis due to the russia-ukraine war causing natural gas prices to spike, this has hosed over sweden because our electricity grid doesn't rely on natural gas, so we still had lots of electricity. and then, because we are hooked up to the perfect free market EU system of buying and selling electricity, other countries want to buy our power, which then caused a horrible price spike because you could charge poland or germany way more money than domestic customers, which then dictated the price for swedish customers.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

the elder care situation (which was a disaster) is also an example of something that is completely the fault of neoliberal cancers on our society, most of elder care has been privatized by right wing governments in the past. if you read the thread it says that only 13% of elderly residents received hospital care, which means that probably 87% of them died at elder care facilities that are mostly run for profit by private companies, getting paid with tax money. these places are not hospitals, they cannot provide intensive care. they try to squeeze as much money out of tax payers as possible and have been criticized for decades now, they do not care about residents, they only care about the bottom line for the shareholders.

overall the swedish health care system has been ruined by right wingers, massive cost cutting, etc. this means that when a pandemic strikes, we did not have the capacity to handle all the cases. this is where triage comes into play, we have to give the resources available to the people that are most in need. a 90 year old who is already dying from something else is not as high of a priority as a 38 year old who is otherwise healthy.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Cached Money posted:

no idea what going on in california but europe has an energy crisis due to the russia-ukraine war causing natural gas prices to spike, this has hosed over sweden because our electricity grid doesn't rely on natural gas, so we still had lots of electricity. and then, because we are hooked up to the perfect free market EU system of buying and selling electricity, other countries want to buy our power, which then caused a horrible price spike because you could charge poland or germany way more money than domestic customers, which then dictated the price for swedish customers.

Oh weird. I thought Europe's demand destruction on top of a warmer-than-average winter etc. meant that it was not going to be a problem except for Russia earning less revenue

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cached Money posted:

:thunk:

quote:

Man I remember a bunch of pro-Russian people 4 months ago insisting that Europe was going to be freezing and unable to afford gas all winter and that western support for Ukraine was on the verge of drying up.

That prediction did not age very well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Sweden ... swamp norway

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

endocriminologist posted:

Sweden ... swamp norway

Norveška je Švedska!!!!!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

at least they're not finns

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
before we go off the rails again does anyone want to take another swing at this

Futanari Damacy posted:

what is the issue regarding the age of the universe? Is 100 million years off a lot, or a little in the cosmic sense? Why would it be problematic if the universe is older than we think?

https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1503918473751273473

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
gently caress it, nevermind. No one cares about this dogshit country and its not the thread for it and im already responsible for one derail

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Jan 24, 2023

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

animist posted:

all the gaming youtubers go hard right as soon as they break 20 million subscribers but that might just be a quirk of gamer psychology

Seems really similar to how well-compensated IT professionals end up going hard libertarian. They convince themselves that they're really exceptionally, even uniquely talented and that their position isn't a product of luck and good connections but rather because of their inherent unique talents, which makes them go hard into FYGM.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Best Friends posted:

What is going on with Ed opperman. I barely know who he is but now I need to know what is going on with him. if this is marketing I guess it’s working in me

Wendy Painting (mcveigh book author) did an interview on his show and tweeted something jokingly self-deprecating that he obviously misinterpreted and he's been having a twitter geezer meltdown ever since, doubling down every time one of his fans tries to walk him back

He's now convinced there's a giant conspiracy against him orchestrated by Wendy and he's been tweeting stuff like this

https://twitter.com/oppermanreport/status/1617766408401879040

It would be pretty sad if he wasn't always a pathetic crank pervert

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wondering if the makeup tutorial youtuber who shows you how to 3d print a perfect mask of phillip seymour hoffman like in mission impossible 3 is actually a spy

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Hey guys today were going to learn how to enter secured facilities using light blush and light machine guns

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

paul_soccer12 posted:

Wendy Painting (mcveigh book author) did an interview on his show and tweeted something jokingly self-deprecating that he obviously misinterpreted and he's been having a twitter geezer meltdown ever since, doubling down every time one of his fans tries to walk him back

He's now convinced there's a giant conspiracy against him orchestrated by Wendy and he's been tweeting stuff like this

https://twitter.com/oppermanreport/status/1617766408401879040

It would be pretty sad if he wasn't always a pathetic crank pervert

thank you very much

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

his interview of wendy was so bad he had some other crank on that was just ranting over her.

programmed to chill is killing it on this 11 part interview jimmy has with her going on this month.

opperman sucks balls

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

seriously jimmy, i think you were a goon so in the off chance you see thism thanks for interviewing Wendy and unlocking the episodes, it's killer work

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

before we go off the rails again does anyone want to take another swing at this

Detty's brain got scrambled by covid

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Are there any theories right now about this whole classified documents thing? Finding them at Trump's, Biden's, and now Pence's houses? I get the feeling that many politicians and bureaucrats probably have classified documents scattered all over the backseats of their cars and on their kitchen tables. So it seems to me like a concerted push to make a point to congressional Republicans thinking of investigating the FBI that hey, we can still hurt you in this and other ways, so back off.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This is doomer poo poo, but my thoughts were that it's probably a public shaming thing to enforce discipline.

As in, the post-ww2, post-cold war party is loving over, there will be consequences for being careless about classified material, because it's about to matter a lot more domestically.

wouldn't shock me if this sort of limp dicked public shaming of carelessness w/r/t classified material turns into live streams of executions or some poo poo in a couple of decades

I guess the root idea is that the deep state sees a bunch of careless idiots with clearances being huge rear end security risks and it's all a disciplining measure to shore things up b efore domestic phoenix poo poo really starts popping off

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are there any theories right now about this whole classified documents thing? Finding them at Trump's, Biden's, and now Pence's houses? I get the feeling that many politicians and bureaucrats probably have classified documents scattered all over the backseats of their cars and on their kitchen tables. So it seems to me like a concerted push to make a point to congressional Republicans thinking of investigating the FBI that hey, we can still hurt you in this and other ways, so back off.

yeah and most of those things are like, the minutes of a meeting with Angela Merkel, or the readout of a phone call with Shinzo Abe, or something that is personally interesting for whatever reason

lots and lots of that stuff gets auto-classified to protect methods & sources even from accidentally getting exposed, even when the info in it may not be literally of the highest national security importance.

I'm pretty sure Trump took all kinds of things that are definitely way more sensitive than that.

but like I've said elsewhere, we may not ever really find out those distinctions.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mdemone posted:

yeah and most of those things are like, the minutes of a meeting with Angela Merkel, or the readout of a phone call with Shinzo Abe, or something that is personally interesting for whatever reason

lots and lots of that stuff gets auto-classified to protect methods & sources even from accidentally getting exposed, even when the info in it may not be literally of the highest national security importance.

I'm pretty sure Trump took all kinds of things that are definitely way more sensitive than that.

but like I've said elsewhere, we may not ever really find out those distinctions.

even the FBI agents who executed the search warrant weren't allowed to see the compartmented stuff trump had taken lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well neither the biden or pence incidents seem like anywhere near as big a deal as what trump was doing. my gut feeling was that the biden one was being blown up out of proportion because the republicans are better at politics than the democrats, and if the story about the pence one is being attributed to anonymous sources then it's hard to see that as anything but a retaliatory leak

Spergin Morlock posted:

even the FBI agents who executed the search warrant weren't allowed to see the compartmented stuff trump had taken lol

that's because it was probably the nuclear secrets he was selling to the saudis

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Jan 24, 2023

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

yeah, it seems like this latest crop of GOP dipshits might actually believe their own bullshit about draining the swamp and taking down the deep state, so this feels like the powers that be doing the washington equivalent of putting a loaded gun on the table and asking if there's a problem

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Riot Bimbo posted:

This is doomer poo poo, but my thoughts were that it's probably a public shaming thing to enforce discipline.

As in, the post-ww2, post-cold war party is loving over, there will be consequences for being careless about classified material, because it's about to matter a lot more domestically.

wouldn't shock me if this sort of limp dicked public shaming of carelessness w/r/t classified material turns into live streams of executions or some poo poo in a couple of decades

I guess the root idea is that the deep state sees a bunch of careless idiots with clearances being huge rear end security risks and it's all a disciplining measure to shore things up b efore domestic phoenix poo poo really starts popping off

i agree with your thesis and would add

a lot of classified poo poo is super prosaic. i'm reminded of manhattan project documents where different words were redacted depending on which release you look at

but the idea of a secret is super salacious. so the classification system itself becomes a kind of op for mystifying the public

it's like in foucault's pendulum or lodge 49. knowing the secret makes you an insider, but once you're inside you see that the insiders are doing a pantomime, they don't know wtf they are doing

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my dad had clearance and he was just an enlisted radar dork in germany, so i'm well aware that most classified material is loving boring. There's stuff he won't talk about but he'll freely admit most of it just straight up isn't worth talking about. A secret doesn't have innate value.

But this still reeks of disciplining, and the main reason I can think of is anticipated domestic strife in the short to medium term.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

Biden had SCI docs too lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
classified classified classified

to: joint chiefs and business roundtable
re: rate of profit

its falling

classified classified classified

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don’t forget the CIA was caught hacking the senate and immediately afterwards the chairperson of the senate intelligence committee underwent a severe and noticeable mental decline to the point now where they barely know where they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Don’t forget the CIA was caught hacking the senate and immediately afterwards the chairperson of the senate intelligence committee underwent a severe and noticeable mental decline to the point now where they barely know where they are.

drat they got feinstein with the old age gun