Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Does the unpowered pump trick still work? You build a loop for recycled water then you feed new water into that through an inline pump that isn't connected to power. This used to work but last time I got that deep into the tech tree was before the big revamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
My workaround was to build a water dump into a packager to send water bottles to a sink. Means I have to have enough plastic to send to the packager, which is another problem if that gets backed up, but it's worked so far.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I use different alternate recipes (gently caress silica), but here's what my pipe looks like:

Under the solution refinery floor:

Main solution floor:

Scrap floor above the solution:

this is half of my aluminum ingot factory, total output is around 1700/m. scrap is backing up because I'm dumb and too lazy to fix some splitters, but the water loop works perfectly.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This is my setup with the standard recipes in my current game. I just finished building it and it's always running, sinking any ingots that aren't stored for trains

Pictured at the bottom is water incoming from water extractors, it's 480m3/m from a 600m3 pipe with a valve limiting it to 480m3. The far side are the scrap refs, feeding their 240 from the other end. I have a valve slapped in between set to max so it doesn't restrict flow like a valve normally would until the input pipe is at 100% and enforces direction so there isn't any backflow to those refineries.

Also, this was my one gotcha when I built this - initially I was having water backups, but it was purely because my refineries blueprint uses a standard pipe, so I have to upgrade the input/output pipes to mk2s if I need to. I forgot to do so for the 480 alumina solution, which was causing problems. Make sure your pipes are the correct size both in and out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Clark Nova posted:

Does the unpowered pump trick still work? You build a loop for recycled water then you feed new water into that through an inline pump that isn't connected to power. This used to work but last time I got that deep into the tech tree was before the big revamp.

I don't think this was ever a reliable solution.

Unpowered pumps cut head lift, but head lift does not control fluid flow in that way. In a junction between two pipes there is no comparison between head lift for which pipe to take. Head lift isn't real pressure in any way, it's a simple "can fluid go this high?" check.

So if you had a setup that worked 100% of the time, it was probably an unrelated factor like junction priority that was actually responsible. I could easily demonstrate a system where the pipe with the unpowered pump had all the flow.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I *think* what it did was prevent backflow across the pump and keep more new liquid from being added if the loop was already full. I remember having to delete and rebuild it several times before it worked properly so you may be right that it was junction priority or jank doing the trick

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Do you guys start doing organized things from the beginning, or is there a point where you go from temporary to fully planned? I've only got one thing left in the Tier 5/6 tree now and is about to do the next space elevator phase, but so far everything I've done has been fully spaghetti.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
This opened my eyes to a lot of things : The FICSIT Inc. Plumbing Manual: A Guide to Pipelines

Specifically the special section, the variable priority junction is specifically used to allow priority flowing, meaning I should prioritize the excess from the AL Solution --> Scrap process and only pull water from the incoming pumps when its needed. A lot of the info there is nice, but i mean you are going to run a pipe from a to b and slap a pump on it if its not flowing.

It does explain a lot of what i see in pipe flow rates.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

ymgve posted:

Do you guys start doing organized things from the beginning, or is there a point where you go from temporary to fully planned? I've only got one thing left in the Tier 5/6 tree now and is about to do the next space elevator phase, but so far everything I've done has been fully spaghetti.

the transition for me is at coal power. once i have a steady amount of power coming in thats when it goes from just in time production to actually making factories

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Embrace the spaghetti and never look back.

Edit:

Clark Nova posted:

I got up to like oil power on my first playthrough before realizing that putting down foundations let you organize things a lot more cleanly :negative:

:sickos:

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 24, 2023

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I got up to like oil power on my first playthrough before realizing that putting down foundations let you organize things a lot more cleanly :negative:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I built a huge concrete edifice to hold my foundries and I realized that everything was just so slightly off because in some places I was abutting walls instead of foundations. Also I made it too tall. So i had to tear that all down and start over. I'm at 50 hours and I'm still at t4. Because everything has to be straight goddamn it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My next game I think I am going to do a self imposed rule of no belts with a horizontal length longer than 10 units.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

euphronius posted:

My next game I think I am going to do a self imposed rule of no belts with a horizontal length longer than 10 units.

If trucks weren't so finicky or could at least run on batteries I'd use a lot less belt highways.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Embrace the spaghetti and never look back.

my mall makes me happy every time i see it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spirits, why have you shown me this? Can it yet be averted?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ninjewtsu posted:

Good use of signs to keep things organized.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also your compass augh

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

I can excuse the madness inspired spaghetti, but I draw the line at cascaded lifts!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

hi josh

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

there are organizational signs, there is no way this is josh.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've been avoiding playing this for awhile because its exactly the kind of game I'd lose a month of free time to, but I'm ready to cave.

A few questions:
- How good is the co-op, especially with more than the officially supported 4? I have a regular gaming group of 5 that would probably enjoy this game
- If the group can only meet 2-4 hours max a week, are we going to have trouble making progress? I'm worried this requires way more hours than we can put in.
- How do multiplayer servers work? Do we need a dedicated server or can someone just host from their machine?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

with 5 people i think you will be ok on progress, if you have trouble with that you can honestly speed it up a lot by having the host leave the game running for a few hours before or after each session. you may have a few sessions where nothing gets done followed by suddenly a lot of poo poo getting done.

idk how well 5 people works though. i'd guess it works ok but you need to be prepared for a little wonkiness in mp in this game. sometimes i need to have the game host run over and stare at some belts for me so i can know if there is or is not stuff on them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah the wonkiness I've experienced usually boils down to one of two things. Either mods not playing nice with MP, or visual glitches caused by people being too far away from the hosting player.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just completed phase 4 about 15 minutes ago and got my coffee cup with two other friends using a dedicated server (my old gaming PC). Never got past advanced aluminum prior to this.

Dedicated servers are mostly fine, with the caveat that you will sometimes have crashes (directly linked to mass deconstruction / using the customizer for paint and textures too quickly) and the physics will eventually get wonky and you have to restart the server. We went like 2-3 days without issues, then we had to restart the server once a day, then twice a day, and today (hours 140 to 150 of played time) it was roughly every 3-4 hours. Seemed to increase issues by hanging out in the mall area.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Cheated myself a storage bin full of power shards towards the start of my latest save so I could overclock everything to 250% with the hopes of improving end-game performance. Can't say yet how well that will actually work but it certainly helps to breeze through some of the more difficult hurdles in a normal playthrough when you can divide the number of structures in each build by 2.5.

10GW Diluted Packaged Fuel Plant:

20GW Diluted Fuel Plant:

~10 Supercomputer/min Factory

Supercomputers and the 20GW plant would have been massive projects without triple sharding everything, both were relatively pain-free this time around. Batteries and the item mall are next, hoping the performance gains can hold up to the bullshit I have planned.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Whats the deal with trains ?

I set up a few stations with a double track for a dedicated line in each direction and i have each station have access from each direction into the station. a way to access either direction leaving the station, OR a way to completely pass the station entirely.

I have seen that train A goes into the station properly, loads, and continues on its way. Train B, which has NO stop listed for that station, is not using the bypass track and is instead flying through the station without stopping. Yes the track signal before it points towards the station, but the train is able to change that. It seems the AI determines the fastest path is, rather then continue straight, turn right, go through the station, and the large loop back to its path. Its 100% a longer path, but how can i stop the train from doing that?

Its messing up my tentative block signals since it wants to use the station and collide, or stop and wait for a clear track.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Set a block signal at the start and end of your stations. If you have more than one route through a block section use a path signal instead. blocks keep other trains out of sections that have other trains in them. you don’t want to have huge swaths of single block sections because it’ll make any trains behind wait until the whole thing is clear. path signals make trains look at where they’re going and check to see if they’re going to intersect any other trains that might be entering the path section at the same time. If they don’t cross paths then they will continue at the same time. otherwise it acts as a block.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

Set a block signal at the start and end of your stations. If you have more than one route through a block section use a path signal instead. blocks keep other trains out of sections that have other trains in them. you don’t want to have huge swaths of single block sections because it’ll make any trains behind wait until the whole thing is clear. path signals make trains look at where they’re going and check to see if they’re going to intersect any other trains that might be entering the path section at the same time. If they don’t cross paths then they will continue at the same time. otherwise it acts as a block.

Yes, this is not a collision issue (yet). its the fact the train is going through a station it has no stop at vs bypassing

The train is going down the green arrow, to a station it is not set for. just blowing through the station and coming back to the main branch. Why is it doing this when the red pass through path exists ?

ignore all the signals, i am trying this out, but it happens without anything. I can confirm manually driving the train i am able to go straight no problem

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 25, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

- If the group can only meet 2-4 hours max a week, are we going to have trouble making progress? I'm worried this requires way more hours than we can put in.
- How do multiplayer servers work? Do we need a dedicated server or can someone just host from their machine?

At 2-4 hours per week you'll be playing for a long time. Like, you can still make progress but you're gonna be playing for a hella long time.

I would definitely do the dedicated server thing if you decide to play, because that gives you some slightly flexible hours. If one person wants to hop on half an hour early or stay an hour later, you don't need the host player. You might want to make some sort of house rule about not doing tech unlocks until everyone is together or something like that.

(Also, you can set a dedicated server to keep running the world even when no players are on. Kinda wasteful, but it would mean you'd never be waiting on machines once you got coal power running.)

Roundboy posted:

Yes, this is not a collision issue (yet). its the fact the train is going through a station it has no stop at vs bypassing

The train is going down the green arrow, to a station it is not set for. just blowing through the station and coming back to the main branch. Why is it doing this when the red pass through path exists ?

ignore all the signals, i am trying this out, but it happens without anything. I can confirm manually driving the train i am able to go straight no problem

The AI chooses the path that it thinks is the shortest, but "thinks" is sometimes doing a lot of heavy lifting.

The two reasons I can imagine it might be doing that:
1. Your signals are messing it up -- I know you say it does that with no signals, but if you have signals anywhere on connected rails that means you have signals. Only if you have actually zero signals can you say to ignore the signals.
2. it's getting confused by the tracks crossing over each other and somehow counting extra segments as part of the red path.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Diagnosing train issues can be a pain without the full picture. If you want to post your save game, someone can take a look. PM me or something if you're interested.

I can't really tell the routing, but as Klyith just mentioned and as I've mentioned a bunch of times automated trains will always take the shortest route, even if there is a station. "Bypass" tracks are not a thing like they are in factorio. If the shortest distance between two stops includes another station your train will happily blow through it or, stop if there's a train already there".

If it's not the shortest route then it MUST be a signal problem. Not knowing anything about your rails I can see in the photo that you have a path signal that is complaining for some reason. I can't say if it's the smoking gun without your save game. Signals can be kinda tricky. I feel I have a really good sense for them and I still occasionally create deadlocks or have trains take the wrong way and get stuck at a station.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

More workflow questions:

I got a mini steel setup splitting 270 ore/coal between six foundries, which then output to 2 pipe constructors and 4 beam constructors, and then into a container. Now I'm gonna need the steel to make stuff obviously and I'd like to automate it, but I'm also going to need steel itself in my inventory to build stuff. So, do you guys overproduce inputs and siphon off the extra with a smart splitter, do you have separate set ups for personal use and automation, what's the best way to do it? Later on I'll set up a mall with dedicated automation for my inventory but that's gotta wait for trains and poo poo.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Steel ingots aren't used to build anything so you don't need to shove any in your inventory. You'll probably haul around a lot of steel beams though. But to answer your general question I have a dedicated mall area devoted to just making stuff for my personal use. Which I make relatively early and add to it as I gain the means to make more stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No not the ingots, the beams and pipes. So from the jump you have separate automation and inventory chains, or are you siphoning off of one for the other?

Part of the problem is I don't have a feel for how multipart factories work and so I don't know how much production I need to set aside for that, right now I'm just building according to belt speed limits.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Item malls are going to fill up eventually so I don't really pay attention to whether or not they're "stealing" materials from another production line. If you already have 270 coal/iron being turned to steel beams/pipes that will be plenty for personal use, just siphon some off into storage bins or work out how to transport them back to an item mall area.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Item malls are going to fill up eventually so I don't really pay attention to whether or not they're "stealing" materials from another production line. If you already have 270 coal/iron being turned to steel beams/pipes that will be plenty for personal use, just siphon some off into storage bins or work out how to transport them back to an item mall area.

If it's really a problem, you can always prioritize production over inventory with some splitter action

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
For my mall I just make liberal use of smart splitters. Items go to production first if used in a further product, then mall for overflow, then the sink.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vasudus posted:

For my mall I just make liberal use of smart splitters. Items go to production first if used in a further product, then mall for overflow, then the sink.

This is more or less what I was planning

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have been running lifts through floor holes with no problems but all of a sudden they aren't connecting

They're set to the same direction, I'm running it through two floors but I've done that plenty before and it's never been a problem. Is there a way to adjust these things after placement?

e: so as usual posting about it fixed it, I was going too far below the hole, I didn't realize you just have to point the end of the lift at the hole. No idea why I never ran into that before.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

I have been running lifts through floor holes with no problems but all of a sudden they aren't connecting

They're set to the same direction, I'm running it through two floors but I've done that plenty before and it's never been a problem. Is there a way to adjust these things after placement?

No, if you have them in the wrong direction you just have to unbuild them.

You can press R to change the build more from normal to reverse, look at the arrow direction for whether you're building input or output when starting from floor holes, bare poles, etc.