Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

would be good with Banshees or Tar

https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1617882609673207811

paul mescal prob doesn't have a shot at this, feel like it's between colin farrell and austin butler

https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1617881864861278209

e: p wild

https://twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1617882926787727361

lol @ the de armas nod

https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1617882006054137856

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
i hope top gun wins best picture

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My boy Ke Huy Quan better get that Best Supporting Actor.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The only best picture winners I would actively be unhappy with are All Quiet and Top Gun

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i can't believe olivia wilde and harry styles have been snubbed like this

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

i can't believe olivia wilde and harry styles have been snubbed like this

that's what happens when you don't make your movie about men cumming

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm real salty that Decision to Leave got snubbed outta Best International. More like Decision to Leave out a drat good movie!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hot Karl Marx posted:

i hope top gun wins best picture

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I don’t think I heard a drat thing about an all quiet movie, how the gently caress did it get nominated for everything

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the way the new all quiet movie changes the ending is utterly bonkers. Normally I'm cool with changing things up for adaptions but with this specific case it's dumb as hell!!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Srice posted:

the way the new all quiet movie changes the ending is utterly bonkers. Normally I'm cool with changing things up for adaptions but with this specific case it's dumb as hell!!

Didn't the change like completely undercut the whole point of the story?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Didn't the change like completely undercut the whole point of the story?

yeah it's incredibly wild how they change it from the protagonist dying unceremoniously to a sniper shot on an otherwise quiet day to dying in a heroic charge seconds before the war comes to an end

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Oglethorpe posted:

all quiet on the western front is like in 3/4 nominations

top gun maverick nommed for best picture lmao

Top gun should win. It's the best Hollywood movie in forever

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I watched M3gan, Smile and Avatar 2 last weekend with pals.

I'd rank them in that order imo.

Smile is really well made but has a very bog standard ending that drops all the potential threads they've been establishing and introduces the only bad actor in the film. Some people gave a poo poo about the film though, cinematography is strangely excellent and the acting is all good until the last 10%.

M3gan was really fun to watch with friends and reminded me of Malignant which was my fav movie of the last while. Its basically a horror comedy with an intentional shithead main character. It got laffs from all of us and still scared the friend who isn't immune to horror films.
The ending was a bit meh but as good as you could hope for if you're going with that ending.

Avatar 2 was so loving long we split it into two and the second half still felt like it was 3 hours on its own.
It's got some good ideas but the actual movie they made is baffling. The middle is just a kids show about making friends and learning to swim for 90 minutes.
The cgi is an odd mix of very good (underwater) and looking like a high tech Myst cutscene and after a while my eyes just stopped caring about any of it.

I like the whole thing being about modern humans vs the environment but as an action flick, and the evil whaling captain is obviously an evil Cameron self insert. Plus the movie ends with jake sully looking at the camera and telling you to start killing capitalists.
But drat the actual things happening were mostly boring or happened by the time my brain had shut down from cgi overload

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

also you and your friends should spend the whole film calling her "muh-three-gan" and correcting every character who says her name

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
zelensky is going to show up at the oscars isnt he

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Communist Thoughts posted:

also you and your friends should spend the whole film calling her "muh-three-gan" and correcting every character who says her name

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol at Babylon getting blanked (i think)

e: it got production design and costume design

there's no greater joy come awards season than watching oscar bait faceplant

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i havent seen Tar but it just seems like a movie that cate blanchett could have done in her sleep anytime in the last 25 years

weird year for Award level movies where I'm just completely disinterested in any of them beyond Banshees. triangle of sadness somehow got a nom despite being a mess??

meanwhile eeaao and top gun knocked it out of the park, as did a dozen other great action movies. wheres the RRR noms at

edit
Best Original Song 
“Applause” from “Tell It Like a Woman,” Music and Lyric by Diane Warren“Hold My Hand” from “Top Gun: Maverick,” Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga and BloodPop“Lift Me Up” from “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” Music by Tems, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler and Ludwig Goransson; Lyric by Tems and Ryan Coogler

“Naatu Naatu” from “RRR,” Music by M.M. Keeravaani; Lyric by Chandrabose

“This Is a Life” from “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” Music by Ryan Lott, David Byrne and Mitski; Lyric by Ryan Lott and David Byrne 

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Jan 24, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

personally I wouldn't classify babylon as oscar bait, gets a bit too rowdy for a lot of oscar voters imo

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Tar posits that conducting music for a Monster Hunter con is the lowest form of art, and thus, the movie is Good

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Eason the Fifth posted:

Tar posits that conducting music for a Monster Hunter con is the lowest form of art, and thus, the movie is Good

*loads phials angrily*

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

WrightOfWay posted:

The alien stuff in The Expanse sucks.

God, yes. The setup is so promising as well, the different factions and their relations to each other are laid out so well, like, that's the show guys, we don't need this random external element introduced that forces them to ~ work together ~, and a boring protagonist whose only special quality is "the alien thing chose you to be the protagonist". It's like the white walkers in GoT, it is just so lazy.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i should check out EEAAO one day. it looks neat

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mastershakeman posted:

“Naatu Naatu” from “RRR,” Music by M.M. Keeravaani; Lyric by Chandrabose

This is 100% so they can make some indian folks dance to an upbeat song on the broadcast to punch up the boring show

they nominated it for basically nothing else, including not even a pity nod for Best Picture

also gently caress them not nominating Viola

Though I guess the EEAAO noms is kind progressive for the awful academy voters

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

so was Skinamarink not eligible for oscar noms because it leaked on tiktok

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

honestly take away her EGOT like stripping paterno’s wins

https://twitter.com/nick_newman/status/1617897251644530689

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cookie Cutter posted:

God, yes. The setup is so promising as well, the different factions and their relations to each other are laid out so well, like, that's the show guys, we don't need this random external element introduced that forces them to ~ work together ~, and a boring protagonist whose only special quality is "the alien thing chose you to be the protagonist". It's like the white walkers in GoT, it is just so lazy.

I thought I was weird for not like the Expanse. I read the first book and felt like the protagonist was too arbitrarily important and that it was too zoomed in for a system-wide story.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

Tar's very funny imo tho i think a lot of people will write/are writing it off as hoity toity highbrow horseshit

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Tar looked boring

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cookie Cutter posted:

It had a ton of promise to be an excellent setting with the Earth-Mars-Belter conflict and the grim reality of a corporate future dystopia and the value of commodities outpacing the value of human life as long as they kept everything in-system

then the second book basically opened up the entire universe to easy exploration and expansion, undoing 90% of what made the setting unique

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Tar's very funny imo tho i think a lot of people will write/are writing it off as hoity toity highbrow horseshit

it is very firmly middlebrow like all of Todd Field's movies but it was pretty decent as opposed to Little Children which was complete horseshit. glad he spent 15 years in director jail for that one

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Tar looked boring

nah it's good, hell tar's warddrobe alone imo was amazing to look at

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tár may feel politically inadequate to those who judge art solely in that fashion, but I found it to be existentially rich. And those among us who prefer our baddies to be properly punished need have no fear of disappointment. In a final scene of pure schadenfreude, we see Tár directing what appears to be a great orchestra once again. But then the camera turns to the audience: she is conducting film music, at some kind of Comic Con–type festival, to a packed theater of people in cosplay costumes and superhero suits. Tár has been relegated to the realm of kitsch, the lowest rung on the cultural ladder, which must mean she has been forced to subject her own good taste, her own fine aesthetic sensibility, to the demands of a financial necessity, i.e., she has “sold out.” And that, for a woman of Tár’s generation—believe me—is truly a fate worse than death.

also this zadie smith essay was great, thanks again for posting —— great ending paragraph lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

I can see the needle they are trying to thread. They're trying their best

the finest scientists trying to figure out how to make the candy sexy but not too sexy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
smile sucked poo poo. I heard it was supposed to be good and it was just average until it completely falls apart

also lol at several people on the last few pages starting their movie or show reviews with "I haven't seen it but." I get it though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

indigi posted:

also lol at several people on the last few pages starting their movie or show reviews with "I haven't seen it but." I get it though

more people should do this. there's plenty of stuff i haven't seen but i know it sucks poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

honestly take away her EGOT like stripping paterno’s wins

https://twitter.com/nick_newman/status/1617897251644530689

it is very - not "funny," but something - to list grooming a woman into suicide alongside belittling a pangender bipoc student

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

more people should do this. there's plenty of stuff i haven't seen but i know it sucks poo poo

that's what lying is for

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i should check out EEAAO one day. it looks neat

It was fine I guess it kind of dragged on for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my issue with bad media is that I love things that are objectively terrible. I find that makes them more interesting than the safe, mediocre stuff. So I need to see them for myself to tell if its the good kind of bad, or the boring kind thats the worst