Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

corporations funding special police departments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The Reedy Creek Improvement District.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/1d34h4z4rd/status/1617491552200437761

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Get too fat to sleep without a mask on

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

use hooks to hang themselves from the ceiling instead of sitting in chairs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
they let private companies prosecute environmental lawyers

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Doing 9/11

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Doing 9/11

doing lots of terrorism across the world and time

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

publish maps like this over and over

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

webcams for christ posted:

publish maps like this over and over

When did Mongolia become honorary whites?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

lmao

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
envy is a deadly sin

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Marijuana posted:

envy is a deadly sin

envydia… the way it’s meant to be prayed

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

switching the name order in scanlations

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

These are American Bullies, fyi. The pitbull is a breed of beauty and grace.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Weka posted:

These are American Bullies, fyi. The pitbull is a breed of beauty and grace.

phrenological trap sprung

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

wearing running shoes with suits

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wearing socks with sandals

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wearing socks with sandals

hosed up but probably everywhere

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

americans score as extreme outliers compared to the rest of the world

quote:

The test that Henrich introduced to the Machiguenga was called the ultimatum game. The rules are simple: in each game there are two players who remain anonymous to each other. The first player is given an amount of money, say $100, and told that he has to offer some of the cash, in an amount of his choosing, to the other subject. The second player can accept or refuse the split. But there’s a hitch: players know that if the recipient refuses the offer, both leave empty-handed. North Americans, who are the most common subjects for such experiments, usually offer a 50-50 split when on the giving end. When on the receiving end, they show an eagerness to punish the other player for uneven splits at their own expense. In short, Americans show the tendency to be equitable with strangers—and to punish those who are not.

Among the Machiguenga, word quickly spread of the young, square-jawed visitor from America giving away money. The stakes Henrich used in the game with the Machiguenga were not insubstantial—roughly equivalent to the few days’ wages they sometimes earned from episodic work with logging or oil companies. So Henrich had no problem finding volunteers. What he had great difficulty with, however, was explaining the rules, as the game struck the Machiguenga as deeply odd.

When he began to run the game it became immediately clear that Machiguengan behavior was dramatically different from that of the average North American. To begin with, the offers from the first player were much lower. In addition, when on the receiving end of the game, the Machiguenga rarely refused even the lowest possible amount. "It just seemed ridiculous to the Machiguenga that you would reject an offer of free money," says Henrich. "They just didn’t understand why anyone would sacrifice money to punish someone who had the good luck of getting to play the other role in the game."

quote:

One of the classics of the literature, the Müller-Lyer illusion, showed that where you grew up would determine to what degree you would fall prey to the illusion that these two lines are different in length:

Researchers found that Americans perceive the line with the ends feathered outward (B) as being longer than the line with the arrow tips (A). San foragers of the Kalahari, on the other hand, were more likely to see the lines as they are: equal in length. Subjects from more than a dozen cultures were tested, and Americans were at the far end of the distribution—seeing the illusion more dramatically than all others.

quote:

More recently psychologists had challenged the universality of research done in the 1950s by pioneering social psychologist Solomon Asch. Asch had discovered that test subjects were often willing to make incorrect judgments on simple perception tests to conform with group pressure. When the test was performed across 17 societies, however, it turned out that group pressure had a range of influence. Americans were again at the far end of the scale, in this case showing the least tendency to conform to group belief.

quote:

As the three continued their work, they noticed something else that was remarkable: again and again one group of people appeared to be particularly unusual when compared to other populations—with perceptions, behaviors, and motivations that were almost always sliding down one end of the human bell curve.

In the end they titled their paper “The Weirdest People in the World?” (pdf) By “weird” they meant both unusual and Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, and Democratic. It is not just our Western habits and cultural preferences that are different from the rest of the world, it appears. The very way we think about ourselves and others—and even the way we perceive reality—makes us distinct from other humans on the planet, not to mention from the vast majority of our ancestors. Among Westerners, the data showed that Americans were often the most unusual, leading the researchers to conclude that “American participants are exceptional even within the unusual population of Westerners—outliers among outliers.”

Given the data, they concluded that social scientists could not possibly have picked a worse population from which to draw broad generalizations. Researchers had been doing the equivalent of studying penguins while believing that they were learning insights applicable to all birds.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

americans score as extreme outliers compared to the rest of the world

All that nerd poo poo makes Americans sound cool as hell.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
What kind of hosed up country you gotta be from to not do a 50-50 split on some experiment money? If you want to be nice sure give the other person a bigger split but trying to give somebody less than a 50-50 split? gently caress you. That money ain’t yours to begin with, that’s money to share. Hell yes I’ll leave here with zero dollars if that’s what it costs to teach you some manners.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
0 ability to imagine another cultural context

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Americans love to cut off their nose to spite their face.

mawarannahr posted:

phrenological trap sprung

It's true, I am a dog caliper enjoyer.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
americans are fat, eat burgers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exmarx posted:

0 ability to imagine another cultural context

???

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
they write dates month/day/year

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

YYYYMMDD supremacy

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

vyelkin posted:

they write dates month/day/year

This is the most depraved poo poo.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The year is the same for a whole year, you don't need to announce it first. What kind of dumb baby country needs to be told what year it is first?

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

i simply use metric time

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Minecraft Holmes posted:

i simply use metric time

Lousy Smarch weather

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Purify_toast17/status/1617741657440653314?t=wEek1NqbnIxlB2LtGvTQ9Q&s=19

What the gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

https://twitter.com/Purify_toast17/status/1617773088443363330

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtTgIEg_l0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

is this like the mormon thing where they baptize the dead to retroactively convert them