Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/LvivJournal/status/1617910745337036800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

Anyway this:

+ this:

= Ukraine stops being a country in a year or two. Yeah there'll be a protected Ukrainian zone under polish peace keepers but it won't be it's own country any more than Vichy France

With all the debt they're incurring maybe this is a cheap way of cutting and running- who's going to pay for a state that no longer exists? Who is legally the inheritor of the IMF's debt if the country disbands or is absorbed into other countries?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Futanari Damacy posted:

With all the debt they're incurring maybe this is a cheap way of cutting and running- who's going to pay for a state that no longer exists? Who is legally the inheritor of the IMF's debt if the country disbands or is absorbed into other countries?

whatever government forms in that area in the future will be required to take on the debt in order to trade with the west, probably

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

chinas belt and road sneaks in

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Hatebag posted:

Would 300 tanks even make a difference? I thought they needed a container ship's worth of artillery rounds and guns and a few dozen SAM batteries

Yup 300 tanks should just about win the war for Ukraine by my reckoning

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

CongoJack posted:

whatever government forms in that area in the future will be required to take on the debt in order to trade with the west, probably

And if that is already over? If Ukraine collapses, I doubt Vichy Lvov or whatever could ever pay back debt.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

UK government ‘let lawyers bypass sanctions’ to help Putin ally sue journalist

Documents seen by Open Democracy show UK firm got approval to engage with Wagner group founder Yevgeny Prigozhin

British lawyers were given government dispensation to bypass sanctions in order to help Yevgeny Prigozhin, the controversial Russian businessman and Wagner group founder, sue a journalist, according to documents made available to the website Open Democracy.

The documents concern a libel case brought by Prigozhin against Eliot Higgins, the founder of the investigative group Bellingcat, in 2021. The revelations will raise further questions about the abuse of UK libel law by the super-rich.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

right a middle aged woman was the #1 target for Ukraine in this town, I guess the NAFO crew needed their victory for the day. what a bunch of psychopaths.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Owned

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Ardennes posted:

And if that is already over? If Ukraine collapses, I doubt Vichy Lvov or whatever could ever pay back debt.

Let's be honest, no one's gonna be paying/returning anything back. Whatever money and materiel sent can be considered gone for good, even if Ukraine "wins".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

russia stood with nelson mandela while the west supported apartheid how is this a surprise

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starsfan posted:

right a middle aged woman was the #1 target for Ukraine in this town, I guess the NAFO crew needed their victory for the day. what a bunch of psychopaths.

An active is a good excuse to get away with murder. Just declare them terrorist and you can do whatever!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

January 6 Survivor posted:

first they make a big fuss about how they should be praised for being willing to give away obsolete tanks to the Ukraine as long as it's everybody else pitches in too, then they make another big fuss about doing it as soon as the Germans give their ok (despite having never sent an export request to the Germans) then they make a fuss about doing it as soon as the EU gives them money for it?

loving hell it's an entire country of grindset scam artists

Can y'all really blame poland for not being thrilled about arming their most belligerant neighbor

I'd be asking for remibursement too

You could say that germany "owes them one"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

collaborated before the war started !!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

Documents seen by Open Democracy show UK firm got approval to engage with Wagner group founder Yevgeny Prigozhin

British lawyers were given government dispensation to bypass sanctions in order to help Yevgeny Prigozhin, the controversial Russian businessman and Wagner group founder, sue a journalist, according to documents made available to the website Open Democracy.

The documents concern a libel case brought by Prigozhin against Eliot Higgins, the founder of the investigative group Bellingcat, in 2021. The revelations will raise further questions about the abuse of UK libel law by the super-rich.

Whoever losses, we win

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

lol, and furthermore lmao

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Freezer posted:

Let's be honest, no one's gonna be paying/returning anything back. Whatever money and materiel sent can be considered gone for good, even if Ukraine "wins".

Not only that, you can be 100% sure these weapons will be fueling the next two decades of partisan conflict in europe

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

it's a sure sign the military side of things is going great when you have to brag about killing some random civilians far away from the front

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Ardennes posted:

I imagine it would be similar to when Vietnam had to pay some of South Vietnams debt in order to have normalized relations to the US or whatever that was all about. Whatever state emerges from the ashes will get hounded to accept the debt.

maybe everyone just shrugs and forgets about it after the war but if there is a rent seeking opportunity like that I doubt it just gets let go.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why do that say ruZZia anyway? The correct spelling has SS in it right there!

It's cause they don't want to muddy the good name of the SS, isn't it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CongoJack posted:

I imagine it would be similar to when Vietnam had to pay some of South Vietnams debt in order to have normalized relations to the US or whatever that was all about. Whatever state emerges from the ashes will get hounded to accept the debt.

maybe everyone just shrugs and forgets about it after the war but if there is a rent seeking opportunity like that I doubt it just gets let go.

I think you'll find Poland will demand compensation for administering and defending the independent Ukraine DMZ

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/23/putin-betting-wests-self-immolation-may-right/

Public discourse is totally normal over here in Europe.

Yep, totally normal and non-concerning. Bonus quote:

I am very much looking forwards to the French government trying to cut down on the welfare-state. Paris is gonna burn.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

it will be very muddy there soon. it's not a good time for a tank offensive.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

Why would the UK allow the US' proxy (NED-funded Bellingcat) to be sued? :thunk:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Freezer posted:

It is also that Ukraine even before the war owed a huge amount of debt, that isn't going to be re-paid ever including any outstanding Ukrainian bonds unless the US just pays out for them.

Also, UK libel laws are that ridiculous.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Horseshoe theory posted:

Why would the UK allow the US' proxy (NED-funded Bellingcat) to be sued? :thunk:

i guess brown moses is just that unlikable

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JSukraine2022/status/1617709578040545280?s=20

wtf is this what winning looks like? slava ukraini

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

i guess brown moses is just that unlikable

Sigh another goon fundraiser on the horizon

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

it's a sure sign the military side of things is going great when you have to brag about killing some random civilians far away from the front

Ukraine has been trying to create this narrative of a massive civilian underground operating in Russian held areas of the country since the start of the war. Almost everyone who comments on it though notes that if anything there has been remarkably little partisan action in these areas and things are actually pretty chill for the most part, people are trying to get by and build new lives as part of the Russian federation.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im sure boris coming in for a visit to ukraine around the same time of the newest round of political purges is a coincidence

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Basically, the population of Europe needs to endure endless sacrifice not for rights or liberties but some vague idea of civilization or culture which doesn’t even make sense in the 21st century and of course that sacrifice doesn’t apply to anyone with an accountant.

“Civilization” and “Culture” here, in the context of Neoliberal Capitalism corroding both can really only mean race, but they’re tip toeing around it still.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I wish to know what culture the tanks have

also the guns

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
money culture vs gun culture war

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Starsfan posted:

Yup 300 tanks should just about win the war for Ukraine by my reckoning

Oh, ok. The us has half a billion dollars worth of tanks and stuff in a war reserve stock in Israel, probably including a bunch of tanks, they should just ship those bad boys up to their other ethnonationalist client country

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oops, so like is using car bombs and vbieds or whatever just another part of what the ukrainians do now?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Freezer posted:

My assumption is that this is a way to pass on the costs to Russia after Russia wins. Russia now has to repair critical infrastructure, who knows how much of the working age male population is dead or disabled, UXO all over etc. and now a “legitimate” Ukrainian state with a pro-Russian government presumably will have its legitimacy tied to not discharging those debts.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Endman posted:

Ukraine shouldn't get any more tanks until they've shown they used the ones they've already been given responsibly :colbert:

Ukraine needs to demonstrate responsibility taking care of smaller items like wheeled chariots and bronze twelve-pounders before we entrust them with looking after tanks and planes. Sound parenting, but for countries needlessly at war.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

“Civilization” and “Culture” here, Neoliberal Capitalism corroding both can really only mean race, but they’re tip toeing around it still.

Yeah mostly, but also I think in some grand "civilizational" connation, that these are the closing days of the West and if we don't send 12 Challengers no one will ever remember Newton or Shakespeare.

But really, the issue is really about the fact that the "pool for grift" is getting shallower or the West can't sustain its level of extreme inequality without exploiting the global south.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

I wish to know what culture the tanks have

also the guns

Cancel culture. Alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Majorian posted:

Cancel culture. Alas.