Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Jump desktop is a bit less sketchy than teamviewer. They charge for the non-windows and mobile licenses. But windows-to-windows is free.

There’s also, of course, Microsoft Remote Desktop if you have windows pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I just got my first pair of over-ear Bluetooth headphones to use with my PC (Anker Soundcore Q20). They work great with my phone but cut out a whole lot with the PC (I only get a little blip of sound here and there.) I also have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse hooked up. What should I be trying?

Edit: okay yes it's definitely the keyboard. Is there anyway to have both using BT?

Edit 2: got the keyboard on 2.4ghz and it doesn't interfere now but mouse won't connect that way even tho it's supposed to. Very cheap so I'm gonna try a new one.

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 22, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tesseraction posted:

When I needed to remotely connect to my home PC from work, I bought a VNC licence - I believe RealVNC's VNC Connect even prevents you needing to the diddle around with dynamic DNS like I had to for my one https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/

RealVNC is a great piece of software. They put real working into improving on the open source clients and servers; better encryption and most importantly it's much, much faster. If you do anything with VNC, check out their free (beer) Viewer app.

Source: we have 200 licenses for lab use.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tiggum posted:

TeamViewer is free for personal use.

TeamViewer declared I was using my personal account for business and cut me off arbitrarily. The appeal process involved filling in a bunch of pdfs that wouldn't download and then there was the slightest possibility of a response. I've been using a free VNC account for years now with no probs.

^^^ Yeah, I use Viewer

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does Ikea have good mattresses?
Somebody recommend me a good queen sized mattress. Willing to spend money to get something good.
Life is way too short to sleep badly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just bought a cheap (~$20) floor lamp. It’s a 3-way, which isn’t advertised on the box, and the instructions say that there is a risk of fire from the lamp shorting if I use anything other than a 3-way bulb. I have never heard of such a thing and have always understood that it was safe to use a regular bulb in a 3-way socket. Am I in danger of shorting the lamp and starting a fire?

This feels stupid to ask because generally warnings on products are correct, but the wattage on leds is so low. What should I do?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Methanar posted:

Somebody recommend me a good queen sized mattress. Willing to spend money to get something good.

What's your budget? I have a 3k mattress that has cooling foam and a cooling protector with cold sheets so the whole bed feels like the "other side of the pillow," with 400TC silk sheets and pillow cases but I've also had a good night's rest on much less.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There is a mattress thread, surprisingly: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&perpage=40&noseen=1

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve been quite happy with IKEA mattresses for over a decade now. Don’t have any back problems or whatever though, so ymmv

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

greazeball posted:

TeamViewer declared I was using my personal account for business and cut me off arbitrarily. The appeal process involved filling in a bunch of pdfs that wouldn't download and then there was the slightest possibility of a response. I've been using a free VNC account for years now with no probs.

^^^ Yeah, I use Viewer

They did this to me a few years ago. When they told what I had to do to prove my case, I told them to gently caress off.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Methanar posted:

In 2021 I got divorced and had no furniture and went full Ikea. Some things were great and lasted, others not so much. I still love my mattress, though. It's memory foam and cost $350 and I put a cooling mattress topper from Target on top of it. It's still very comfortable and I also like the very simple Ikea bed frame I put it on (the only issue being that it's light enough that it moves around easily.)

This is the mattress: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/matrand-memory-foam-mattress-firm-white-70272403/ (looks like the price went up a bit).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
does anyone have any experience with chronic belching

my neighbor is ripping off enormous barney gumble burps, constantly, at a pace of half a dozen a minute sometimes, which gets kind of nauseating to hear. but whenever he's on the phone (which i can also clearly hear, guy's got no indoor voice) he sounds perfectly normal

before i talk to him it would be nice to have some hint whether he has some kind of reflux condition or if he's just being gross

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Oxxidation posted:

my neighbor is ripping off enormous barney gumble burps, constantly, at a pace of half a dozen a minute sometimes, which gets kind of nauseating to hear. but whenever he's on the phone (which i can also clearly hear, guy's got no indoor voice) he sounds perfectly normal

before i talk to him it would be nice to have some hint whether he has some kind of reflux condition or if he's just being gross

I have a family member who got weight loss surgery and they developed chronic belching. They can control it when they have too, but it's painful to do so.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

so if you gently caress up at flying a plane you get those audio '*woop woop* pull! up!' warnings, and it seems like not every plane has the same voice for those. I imagine a lot of those systems are too old for that to be a computer-generated voice, so, whose voice is it? do aircraft manufacturers hire voice actors for those or is it just some guy pulled off the factory floor (so to speak)?

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 23, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Anyone know a way to automatically post to a personal Facebook from an RSS feed? I took a look at ITTT but that only posts to Pages (ie the things run by a business). Did FB kill the functionality?

Killingyouguy! posted:

so if you gently caress up at flying a plane you get those audio '*woop woop* pull! up!' warnings, and it seems like not every plane has the same voice for those. I imagine a lot of those systems are too old for that to be a computer-generated voice, so, whose voice is it? do aircraft manufacturers hire voice actors for those or is it just some guy pulled off the factory floor (so to speak)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_warning_system#Voices

Turns out some of them were indeed engineers!

E: I had it in my head that the mech cockpit voice from Mechwarrior was one of these voice actors too, but it doesn't look like that's the case...

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 23, 2023

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread for asking advice on how to best analyze a data set, not necessarily in terms of the math to use, but the conceptual questions to (uh) pose to the data to see what it answers?

Backstory: I work in a library and we've been gathering stats on the number of patrons seated in different areas of the library and how many of them are using laptops. I'm looking at a spreadsheet with three weeks' worth of data and I've calculated basic things like averages per seating area, but I could use some help thinking of what else this data could tell me. None of my coworkers have a stats background -- I do from college, but it's been 20+ years and I've forgotten almost everything. :ignorance:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is there a thread for asking advice on how to best analyze a data set, not necessarily in terms of the math to use, but the conceptual questions to (uh) pose to the data to see what it answers?

Backstory: I work in a library and we've been gathering stats on the number of patrons seated in different areas of the library and how many of them are using laptops. I'm looking at a spreadsheet with three weeks' worth of data and I've calculated basic things like averages per seating area, but I could use some help thinking of what else this data could tell me. None of my coworkers have a stats background -- I do from college, but it's been 20+ years and I've forgotten almost everything. :ignorance:

The data science thread over in SAL is probably your best bet.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Awesome, thanks!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

It's not particularly important in your case, but you have to remember to start with the questions rather than the data: what would you like to know that the data can tell you, instead of that metrics can you make from the data. You don't want to end up in the rabbit hole of having very good data for completely useless metrics, which ultimately tell you less than your gut feeling.

Other than that, try pivot tables in Excel, it's reasonably powerful for a start.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Get a load of this loving NIMBY

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Let the dude burp in his own drat home.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I live in an apartment, do you think I’m made of money

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

I live in an apartment, do you think I’m made of money

What does money have to do with letting a dude burp?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This is going to end so poorly for you, in so many ways that I hope you chronologue the entirety of this journey.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

This is going to end so poorly for you, in so many ways that I hope you chronologue the entirety of this journey.

this should be printed on the soda cans :D

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I honestly can't imagine thinking that it's okay to ask a neighbor to stop burping; what an insane sense of self-importance must you have in order to think this is remotely okay?

EDIT:

Also, Oxxidation, is this your first apartment? Hearing your neighbors is a normal thing when you live close to people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

I honestly can't imagine thinking that it's okay to ask a neighbor to stop burping; what an insane sense of self-importance must you have in order to think this is remotely okay?

EDIT:

Also, Oxxidation, is this your first apartment? Hearing your neighbors is a normal thing when you live close to people.

I’ve lived here ten years, the guy next to me is new

i’m going to leave him alone because it’s tapered off in any case, but the reason I mentioned reflux is that it was going on for hours and sometimes at a pace of 5-6 a minute. that’s probably not normal and sounds like it had to start hurting eventually. I wasn’t going to bother him if it there was a chance he had an actual medical condition but I didn’t know of anything that caused it, which Thirteen Orphans answered (thanks btw)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

I’ve lived here ten years, the guy next to me is new

i’m going to leave him alone because it’s tapered off in any case, but the reason I mentioned reflux is that it was going on for hours and sometimes at a pace of 5-6 a minute. that’s probably not normal and sounds like it had to start hurting eventually.

unless you are his doctor i dont see how that's any of your business

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My small question is how long has this belching been going on that it's gotten to you this badly?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

My small question is how long has this belching been going on that it's gotten to you this badly?

two or three months? we’ve been neighbors for over a year, no issues

I really should have left him out of the question entirely but it had been a hard day

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My small question is what you expected the person to do? Did you think this guy was burping really loud and frequently for fun or something?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

two or three months? we’ve been neighbors for over a year, no issues

I really should have left him out of the question entirely but it had been a hard day

That does sound like a long time to have a gas problem, but I figure he's probably not doing it for fun and giggles. Normally if I'm belchy then my torso hurts like a mothefucker.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I used to have chronic coughing issues and nothing annoyed me more than someone coming up to me and asking if I could cool it on the coughing. Yeah sure I was having a lot of fun coughing but I'll stop for you.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

alnilam posted:

I used to have chronic coughing issues and nothing annoyed me more than someone coming up to me and asking if I could cool it on the coughing. Yeah sure I was having a lot of fun coughing but I'll stop for you.

We had a (rude as hell) regular at the cafe I worked at who did this to a woman who got choked on her coffee and I wanted to just pick that diminutive SOB up and walk him out the store so bad.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 24, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Could I do active noise cancellation on my computer using the laptop mic?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I used to be a bit afraid that my downstairs neighbors could hear me fart if I did it while sitting down on the floor (which I did occasionally).
I've now moved away from that building, but I still wonder if they ever heard it and if they did if they figured out it was me farting.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Killingyouguy! posted:

Could I do active noise cancellation on my computer using the laptop mic?
It's actually essential for the calculations that the mic on active noise cancelling headphones is at an exactly precise, known, fixed and minimal distance from the drivers.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Wild! Thank you

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Hey, got a question for some people more experienced with eBay. I bought a manual focus camera lens, checked it around the house and it seemed like it was working OK, so I left a good review (oops). Then I took it out for a spin yesterday and realized it can't focus to infinity. I submitted some pictures and sent a return request, and the seller fought back hard. He made a stink about me leaving a good review but then saying that it's a defective lens later, meanwhile in his messages he disclosed that he tested it on multiple cameras (listing said he only ever used it on one camera) and that he had it collimated (listing never disclosed any repair history). I called him out on those issues, he said he was getting frustrated with me and that he would escalate to eBay instead and open a case with them. 15 minutes after that, support closes the case and I'm awarded a full refund. It's actually already pending on my bank account now.

However, I don't see anywhere on the return page to send back the item now. Am I supposed to just wait for that to come through later? I don't really know what to do with this lens that I have left over now, or how long I've got to hold onto it until a return request.

cerious fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Does anyone have recommendations for simple, free video editors that will let me cut out excess footage without changing the format or size? The files are a mix of .MOV, .AVi and MP4 in random formats from whatever cameras I had at the time.