Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Good skiing tracker alp?

Amazing. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Slopes! It’s fantastic.

I’ve tried a few and Slopes has been the best by far.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

that sucks but you can use any authenticator app with watchos support for TOTP w/ MS, i use 1password and it works great

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Mad Wack posted:

that sucks but you can use any authenticator app with watchos support for TOTP w/ MS, i use 1password and it works great

Yeah, but not the push functionality where I tap approve a login on my watch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s because they need to have you enter a request code to avoid the overload-push-and-wait-for-frustration-accept attacks, I believe, and there’s no way to do that within the watchOS notification framework or something.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Trying out the S8 for a few weeks but I got a question: is there a way to get “total calories burned (resting and active)” displayed on a complication, through Health/Activites or a a third party app?

There’s so many health apps but so many of them also have subscriptions which I’m tired of.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what the move ring is, don't think there's a way to only display that one number though. Several faces have the value as a component of the complication.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The move ring is just active calories, doesn’t show resting. I would say it would have to be third party but I don’t know any that do this sorry.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Shame about that.

Also I tried out apple fitness+ using my iPad as the screen and my first HIIT session today. Having all your data displayed as an overlay while the routine is going feels incredibly cool. The three trainers doing various levels of intensity for the same exercise is a great touch too. Let’s see how long I can stick with this.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Didn’t really want to bring up battery chat but I upgraded from a 4 to 7 last month and it’s charging really slowly and doing worse than my old 82% battery health 4.

Last night I was down to 17% at 9pm from charging to ~75% around at 7am with one hour workout. Is that expected?

Charging is super slow on my Belkin stand charger, seems to be slower than my old 4. Fast charge works fine with the 20w brick and supplied cable.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Red_Fred posted:

Didn’t really want to bring up battery chat but I upgraded from a 4 to 7 last month and it’s charging really slowly and doing worse than my old 82% battery health 4.

Last night I was down to 17% at 9pm from charging to ~75% around at 7am with one hour workout. Is that expected?

Charging is super slow on my Belkin stand charger, seems to be slower than my old 4. Fast charge works fine with the 20w brick and supplied cable.

For that last thing about the charging speeds, you answered your own question. That Belkin isn't quite compatible with the watch apparently. That poo poo happens. Time to replace some accessories.

As for the battery life, it's hard to say, really. There's a lot of factors for battery life. AOD, notification settings, what apps are on the watch doing stuff, can all have an impact. A workout can hit the battery harder because it does all the health tracking stuff way more frequently.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jose Oquendo posted:

For that last thing about the charging speeds, you answered your own question. That Belkin isn't quite compatible with the watch apparently. That poo poo happens. Time to replace some accessories.

As for the battery life, it's hard to say, really. There's a lot of factors for battery life. AOD, notification settings, what apps are on the watch doing stuff, can all have an impact. A workout can hit the battery harder because it does all the health tracking stuff way more frequently.

I looked up around the Belkin and it’s the expensive 3in1 that I got last year. On their page it claims it supports 7 fast charging but it looks like it broke with some WatchOS update, so that might improve I guess.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

I looked up around the Belkin and it’s the expensive 3in1 that I got last year. On their page it claims it supports 7 fast charging but it looks like it broke with some WatchOS update, so that might improve I guess.

Which exact model? I have a Belkin 3 in 1 that charges my Ultra fast AF

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Which exact model? I have a Belkin 3 in 1 that charges my Ultra fast AF

Belkin 3-in-1 Wireless Charger with MagSafe.

https://store.apple.com/nz/xc/product/HQ3F2X/A

And I think I found the problem, it mentions fast charging for 8 and Ultra, not the 7…although it calls the Watch module fast charging further down the page.

Edit: there is a manufacturer note as well which mentions fast charging from 7 up. Seems like they don’t really know what it does.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 17, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Belkin 3-in-1 Wireless Charger with MagSafe.

https://store.apple.com/nz/xc/product/HQ3F2X/A

And I think I found the problem, it mentions fast charging for 8 and Ultra, not the 7…although it calls the Watch module fast charging further down the page.

Edit: there is a manufacturer note as well which mentions fast charging from 7 up. Seems like they don’t really know what it does.

Gotcha. I have this one. It seems that the description for both of ours say the MagSafe charges at 15W, so I wouldn't think they'd charge at different speeds.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Wellll since we’re on the subject of batteries again…

Does the background app refresh toggle do anything significant, battery wise? It seems like whatever is on the watch face (in my case, weather, now playing+, activity, messages) will be refreshed regardless. But for all the other apps, does it change how fast they option or how they function? And if the setting is disabled, is there any appreciable difference to battery life on my S8?

And what about Always On Display? Reddit says (Reddit says a lot of things) that setting doesn’t actually amount to much in terms of consumption, but I dunno.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

buglord posted:

And what about Always On Display? Reddit says (Reddit says a lot of things) that setting doesn’t actually amount to much in terms of consumption, but I dunno.

I notice a difference with the AOD on my S8 battery (full charge at 9am to 40ish percent when I sleep with AOD on and 60ish off).

I wear it to sleep for tracking and 40% is fine for overnight if I turn on sleep mode, so I'm technically getting 24hr battery, but I've turned it off because:

1) less cycles are better on the battery
2) it's been cold and wet and AOD seems purposeless when wearing long sleeves, especially when
3) raise to wake is fast enough for me

In my experience, I wasn't noticing the AOD when it was on and I haven't really noticed anything while it's been off, so it's been a no brainer to take the battery life and longevity.

Also you can make a Shortcut to toggle it on or off depending on your needs, or just turn on AOD and toggle Theatre Mode (requires a tap to wake the watch) if you're in a situation where having AOD is inconvenient like a movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

buglord posted:

Wellll since we’re on the subject of batteries again…

Does the background app refresh toggle do anything significant, battery wise? It seems like whatever is on the watch face (in my case, weather, now playing+, activity, messages) will be refreshed regardless. But for all the other apps, does it change how fast they option or how they function? And if the setting is disabled, is there any appreciable difference to battery life on my S8?

Here's a handy guide for worrying about battery stuff for Apple stuff:

Don't.

Don't janitor your battery. Just use it. Free yourself from the shackles of toggling and micromanaging and disabling stuff just to maybe gain a few minutes of battery life. These fuckers charge up fast enough to where even if it does get low, just throw it on the charger while you're taking a dump.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I track my dumps as mixed cardio. Are you suggesting I give up daily exercise minutes???

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I track my dumps as mixed cardio. Are you suggesting I give up daily exercise minutes???

That is true. Gotta close those rings. You my friend have a unique usage scenario.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jose Oquendo posted:

Here's a handy guide for worrying about battery stuff for Apple stuff:

Don't.

Don't janitor your battery. Just use it. Free yourself from the shackles of toggling and micromanaging and disabling stuff just to maybe gain a few minutes of battery life. These fuckers charge up fast enough to where even if it does get low, just throw it on the charger while you're taking a dump.

I was like this but see above! When it charges slow as balls it’s a problem…

I now have my ‘fancy’ Belkin charger and cables for my phone and watch to a 20w beside my bed which feels so dumb

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When your Apple Watch only gets six hours of battery after a couple years, it’s either janitor the battery or buy a new watch.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Okay I have a question i cant seem to figure out:

Is there a way to have my Apple Watch do sleep tracking but NOT use its built in haptics/alarm to wake me up each morning? Problem is that I have my watch haptics disabled (since I cant seem to eliminate vibrations for notifications). And because my haptics are disabled, the wakeup alarm won’t vibrate on my wrist. To remedy this for now, I’ve set multiple non-wake-up alarms a minute before/after my wake-up alarm, since my phone will still fire those off at full volume.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
This doesn’t answer your question but I wanted to share that when I first got the watch I tried using the haptic alarm to wake me up in the morning without waking my partner up and all that happened would I’d sleep through it but have these wild and horrific dreams where my wrist would start tremoring and spasming for no reason. In one of them I remember like insects erupting from my arm. So yeah I had to stop wearing it in bed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You’d have to turn on sleep mode manually before bed each night. And then off when you are awake.

Kind of annoying, but it does ensure you track your sleep.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

This doesn’t answer your question but I wanted to share that when I first got the watch I tried using the haptic alarm to wake me up in the morning without waking my partner up and all that happened would I’d sleep through it but have these wild and horrific dreams where my wrist would start tremoring and spasming for no reason. In one of them I remember like insects erupting from my arm. So yeah I had to stop wearing it in bed.

I absolutely hate alarm haptics for the dream reasons too. I always feel the haptics in my dream and it makes me uncontrollably angry that I can’t stop it in my dream. Then I wake up and am pissed at the alarm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I absolutely hate alarm haptics for the dream reasons too. I always feel the haptics in my dream and it makes me uncontrollably angry that I can’t stop it in my dream. Then I wake up and am pissed at the alarm.

Sounds like an effective way to wake up!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
And again the iPhone is trickle transferring the goddamn WatchOS image over BTLE instead of Wifi. Jesus loving Christ, Tim Apple, fix this poo poo already.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

And again the iPhone is trickle transferring the goddamn WatchOS image over BTLE instead of Wifi. Jesus loving Christ, Tim Apple, fix this poo poo already.

This is intentional lol

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Endless Mike posted:

This is intentional lol
Why tho? When I request an update manually instead of letting it do automagically over night, you'd figure it'd haul rear end. More so when fully charged and on the charger itself. No need to save battery.

--edit: Let's see if they finally fixed that large world clock complication.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 23, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It will always use Bluetooth for data if your phone is available. It's stupid, I agree, but it's intentional, and they should certainly be able to make a special case for when charging, but they don't!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I figured I would try putting the iPhone in airplane mode to see if that would change the behavior and apparently the watch can bypass disabled Bluetooth and Wi-Fi???

Edit: turning the phone off entirely and then triggering the watch update from the watch literally downloaded 300 MB in 10s.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 24, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

You’d have to turn on sleep mode manually before bed each night. And then off when you are awake.

Kind of annoying, but it does ensure you track your sleep.
Even if I have selected the “Don’t use this Watch for Sleep” option in the Watch>Settings>Sleep menu?

Let’s see if it works tonight if I have that disabled but turn on Sleep focus before bed,.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Amazon is doing some lowkey fire sale of watches if you've been looking for a good deal. Currently some of them are going for ~510 dollars , netting you a nearly 250 dollar saving over a 1 year old watch (stainless!). Also if you're not using camelcamelcamel to track prices you're missing out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

I figured I would try putting the iPhone in airplane mode to see if that would change the behavior and apparently the watch can bypass disabled Bluetooth and Wi-Fi???

Edit: turning the phone off entirely and then triggering the watch update from the watch literally downloaded 300 MB in 10s.
Airplane mode doesn't actually disable Bluetooth to the Watch (even if you turn off Bluetooth in Control Panel after turning on airplane mode), just everything else. You have to actually go into Settings and disable Bluetooth.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
did they recently change how the always-on display works? I thought it would stay dimmed until I raised my wrist, but lately it's more of a blurring effect.

huh and right as I type this post, I see it's back to the dimming I remember. Maybe one of those settings that tends to get accidentally triggered while I'm washing my hands? (I get accidental "theater mode" all the time)

edit: ha, and now that I'm listening to music the blurring is back. I guess it has something to do with currently running apps?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 24, 2023

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Minidust posted:

(I get accidental "theater mode" all the time)

How is that even possible? What were you doing :2monocle:

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

incoherent posted:

Amazon is doing some lowkey fire sale of watches if you've been looking for a good deal. Currently some of them are going for ~510 dollars , netting you a nearly 250 dollar saving over a 1 year old watch (stainless!). Also if you're not using camelcamelcamel to track prices you're missing out.

those are series 7 OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Minidust posted:

did they recently change how the always-on display works? I thought it would stay dimmed until I raised my wrist, but lately it's more of a blurring effect.

huh and right as I type this post, I see it's back to the dimming I remember. Maybe one of those settings that tends to get accidentally triggered while I'm washing my hands? (I get accidental "theater mode" all the time)

edit: ha, and now that I'm listening to music the blurring is back. I guess it has something to do with currently running apps?
Most apps will blur so people can’t read off your watch. This more or less applies to anything that could be considered private, so text messages, workouts, music, and basically everything except the watch face.