Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Volte posted:

Portal 2's dialogue works way better because Wheatley is supposed to come off as annoying and incompetent

Should have hired Ricky Gervais instead of Srephen Merchant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Agent355 posted:

That seems fine to you? It's awful. Just meme-y unoriginal crap that falls flat.

It almost works but it's not snippy enough

The real issue is she's from New York, but I haven't seen any dialogue about how she won't shut up about New York, Greatest City yet

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone want to sell me on The Division 2?

I think the original is great, but it’s slowly becoming a little rote. Maybe it’s the limited enemy variety and limited depth of the skill system.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Anno posted:

New Mimimi game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1545560/Shadow_Gambit_The_Cursed_Crew

Seems to be sticking to the Shadow Tactics/Desperados genre, but now fantasy pirate stuff.

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BykuAlQlSIw

i will always be down for more shadow tactics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

Portal 2's dialogue works way better because Wheatley is supposed to come off as annoying and incompetent, and the PC does not talk

Being annoying on purpose is still being annoying but as someone mentioned, at least Chell wasn't throwing lovely Marvel quips constantly or repeating the same question half a dozen times.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Anyone want to sell me on The Division 2?

I think the original is great, but it’s slowly becoming a little rote. Maybe it’s the limited enemy variety and limited depth of the skill system.

There are mechanical differences but its an incremental update in a warmer less interesting place. I'm not sure I'd recommend jumping from one straight in to the other without a decent gap between the two.

Div 1 is a game that will live long in my memory for the world it put you in. Div 2 is a co op game that was fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Forspoken's dialogue clip sounds very Marvel movie-esque, which is OK.

I miss the dialogue and delivery from old-timey stuff ala Dragnet. Very bam-bam-bam serious and to the point. (I should replay LA Noire...)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Paid 1$ for the Ubisoft+, beat the Division 2 campaign in a week and I don't feel like playing any more of it (or anything else on their roster of games).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fwoderwick posted:

There are mechanical differences but its an incremental update in a warmer less interesting place. I'm not sure I'd recommend jumping from one straight in to the other without a decent gap between the two.

Div 1 is a game that will live long in my memory for the world it put you in. Div 2 is a co op game that was fun.

Yes, the New York Massive created is like no other game world. A talented team. It's made me more excited for their Star Wars project.

I'm asking about Div2 now because there's a sale going on, but if it's not that big a jump I'll probably wait.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jack Trades posted:

Paid 1$ for the Ubisoft+, beat the Division 2 campaign in a week and I don't feel like playing any more of it (or anything else on their roster of games).

:ok:

e: Did you like it? What'd you hate about it?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Anno posted:

New Mimimi game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1545560/Shadow_Gambit_The_Cursed_Crew

Seems to be sticking to the Shadow Tactics/Desperados genre, but now fantasy pirate stuff.

:hellyeah:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

it's not just horribly creatively bereft and bland and lovely but it's also doing that Marvel Thing where Funny Dialog is an end to itself.

So, "comedy"

I liked the Division 2, I want a version of the Division 2 that is only single player and is entirely balanced around that. I know it scales for SP but it never works out right.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Forspoken might be poo poo but people competing over how much they dislike Joss Whedon, the inventor of quips is even more poo poo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Pwnstar posted:

Forspoken might be poo poo but people competing over how much they dislike Joss Whedon, the inventor of quips is even more poo poo.
I can't think of a single reason to dislike joss whedon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Insincere is what I’d use to describe this kind of writing, rather than pinning it on a specific person or studio

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Div1 is gorgeous, and it's really impressive how they seamlessly connect the main city to dozens of sprawling dungeons (some just keep on going). I can't imagine how much work went into planning the city.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Anno posted:

they keep making these and I'll keep buying these

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

:ok:

e: Did you like it? What'd you hate about it?

It's the same ol' Division 1 but with an uglier city and somewhat more interesting looking dungeons.
The shooting is good but it's all the same shooting.
There are way more powers than in Division 1 but they were OP at launch so the developers nerfed most of them into the ground, so now there's less good powers than in Division 1.
There are special super weapons now that you can have depending on your class but those have also purposefully been nerfed so they're all bad now and not worth using.

It was fairly fun playing through the campaign but in the end it's the exact same game as Division 1 and all of the new stuff are bad or not worth using so I didn't feel like playing the end-game at all.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

Insincere is what I’d use to describe this kind of writing, rather than pinning it on a specific person or studio

Yeah, one review I've read described it as the writing coming off as embarrassed about itself. Too scared to even try to have the story or characters stand on their own merits, it's just constantly undercutting itself for cheap momentary chuckles instead. Naturally, the player is then not too likely to get invested into the story if even the protagonist seemingly can't be arsed to care.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, one review I've read described it as the writing coming off as embarrassed about itself. Too scared to even try to have the story or characters stand on their own merits, it's just constantly undercutting itself for cheap momentary chuckles instead. Naturally, the player is then not too likely to get invested into the story if even the protagonist seemingly can't be arsed to care.

don’t know if it was the same review but austin walker also said as much and he’s far from the first. it’s that compulsive wry distancing that grates more than the material itself

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

zoux posted:

So, "comedy"

more like " " " comedy " " "

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It may not be good but "funny dialog as an end to itself" is not a bad thing, it is comedy.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

No Wave posted:

I can't think of a single reason to dislike joss whedon.

Oh he's trash 100% but you know what I mean.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i capitalised it as Funny Dialog to imply that it's not funny dialog, which is great, but Funny Dialog, which is term i made up to describe the sort of bland detached interchangeable dialog we're talking about. like the point isn't to make the viewer laugh it's to have as much Funny Dialog as possible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

It may not be good but "funny dialog as an end to itself" is not a bad thing, it is comedy.

I think the thrust of the argument is that jokes are fine, but jokes that rely on highlighting the artifice of the script are a) seldom ever funny and b) diminish audience investment in the story as a whole

like portal 2 isn’t a good comparison on those merits because it does commit to its setting and characters, even if they’re inherently absurd. high on life would probably be a better example

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Anno posted:

So they're designing missions to be more freeform with multiple insertion points and the ability to pick characters ahead of each mission... that's interesting.

I don't mind it looking like a reskin of their previous games. Their track record is very good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the man cannon looks decent enough, but hiding underground? that poo poo's dynamite!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

zoux posted:

It's not comedy if it's not funny.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2107860/Yggdra_Union/

20 y/o Gameboy Advance game is finally coming to Steam!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Oxxidation posted:

like portal 2 isn’t a good comparison on those merits because it does commit to its setting and characters, even if they’re inherently absurd. high on life would probably be a better example

"I'm speaking in an accent that is beyond her range of hearing" is still one of the most memorable single lines in any Valve game to me purely on the weight of how surreally idiotic a thought it is, even if it was far from the funniest or most engaging. It also would've absolutely ruined the joke if Chell had any kind of response to it.

Makes me wonder if you could rip out the protagonist's lines in Forspoken, BL3 style, but leave the armband in. Might be an improvement. Although I'm sure that'd be a whole minefield all its own in the argument of representation.

e: lmao $93.49 CDN for the standard edition, what the gently caress kinda clown world we living in here

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 24, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

For contrast, one game that came to my mind with almost the opposite approach to Forspoken would be MGR: Reveangance. It's a quite silly game that often goes for comedy, but the writing pretty much never resorts to awkwardly winking at the audience. Instead it usually plays itself very straight (occasionally so much so that its earnestness itself is a source of comedy) and is all the better for it. It's kinda remarkable how it has the confidence to just show you something absolutely over-the-top and/or kind of dumb and letting it stand on its own merit without further commentary.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
On the topic of quip-likes, I'm really enjoying Guardians of the Galaxy. The gameplay is a lot of fun in a Mass Effect kind of way and I can't but help get attached to this toxic, barely cohesive team. Only Peter Quill seems to care even if everyone clearly disrespects him. I hope the game ends with him finally coming to terms that it's best if they all split up (I know it won't).

Edit: revengence rules. RE8 was also incredibly funny to me.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I bounced of the Guardians game which is a shame because I did really enjoy the movies. The quipping was too much or something.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

On the topic of quip-likes

oh god is this a new genre

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Forspoken sounds almost exactly like something you'd get from a Spiders eurojank open world RPG. Massive game world with little to do (the quests don't even take you to more then 1/2 the map), basic straight forward combat that can look cool but is usually just attacking with the effective weapon/element, meager sidequests that seem to exist to just pad out the game, bosses that are copy pastes, and an attempt to make a deep story with meaningful choices that change little to nothing.

I'm going to buy Greedfall 2 at full price if it's not a unplayable mess, Forspoken is probably a good $30 game all things said regardless of the dialogue issues.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Weedle posted:

yes it's super duper fun. short but $3 is a steal

Such a fun game and a no-brainer at $3 - although I thought the length was perfect. If it had a few more levels I probably would have drifted away, I like churning through a lot of games but rarely finish any because they just drag on and on and the new and shiny wears off after 10 or 12 hours.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Metro Exodus has released a mod SDK - and indeed, their entire engine - for non-commercial screwing around.

Their blog post also contains some thoughts on the unenviable task of making videogames in a warzone.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Anno posted:

Oh hell yeah. That's a great setting for them

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Anno posted:

Always down for more of that, at least as long as there's no serious contender in the genre they can keep iterating on this forever as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
One thing that bothered me about the Division 2 is they didn't really clarify any ideals behind any of the sides. Not hang-up worthy, though. One of the few good games Ubisoft has made.