Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Fur20 posted:

nwn1 is the only one that actually gives you wings on your red dragon disciple, making it the greatest port of the ruleset in all of g*ming

They really should have just called the game "D&D: x/10 RDD"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I went back and played it for a few months in 2020 and I had a blast, they've added a ton of systems to make it the whole game fully soloable - you now have a full NPC party whenever you want them (except in certain event zones), exp-boosting gear is plentiful from events that are running and change every month or so. Like, new events. Not just a repeating cycle of monthly events (though sometimes they do repeat), but there is still a dev team actively developing new monthly events and content for FFXI (or at least there was in 2020)

There's also a whole lot of end-game content that has been added. Like, it's the only MMO I have ever played where I felt like I never ran out of things to do at max level. Most of the end-game stuff still requires a party of players rather than AI companions, but I liked that because A) it maintains the sense of community FFXI always had and B) since it's only the level 99 end-game stuff, the entire playerbase is concentrated into the same bracket and it's not too hard to find parties (no matter what your role is). There are still a ton of people playing and the community on whatever server I played on was super friendly, helpful and chill. PUGs were regularly put together in jeuno chat by small teams of massively overgeared players who could carry everyone else through things like weekly boss kills with great rewards so it wasn't difficult to find footing at level 99.

I ended up leveling almost every class in the game to 99 (there's so much exp-boosting stuff that going 1-99 on a class beyond your first is one or two full days of playing solo, the first one takes maybe a week, and you can very affordably buy powerleveling from people for in-game gil that will take you from like level 20 to 99 in an hour or 2 - I ended up selling powerleveling to fund myself :shrug:). I even grinded out a huge amount of, I forget what they're called but basically bonus levels that you can gain at 99 that give you passive bonuses to make a class stronger. I mean I grinded like 500 or something of those levels on Rune Fencer, and at that point it was straight up like oldschool FFXI grinding (be careful with pulls, make sure your full party is attentive, grind for long hours).

At some point they added a really cool system that I forget the name of, but it's a series of personal missions that you follow from level 1 all the way to level 99 and well beyond, and what it does is guide you through the entire main story of the game, taking you through appropriately-leveled tours of pretty much every zone in the game, and every major mission - except with new additions: the characters from the newest expansion pop into the missions, cutscenes and dialog from throughout the entire game, so the cutscenes are slightly different than they were in the past, etc.

Following it provides a tooooon of QoL/utility/etc type bonuses (exp buffs, fast travel, high-end gear, all kinds of things). It lets you go through and experience all of FFXI as a well-packaged singleplayer RPG without all the tedium and bullshit that was in it back in the day. It gets pretty out there with its plot though, I forget the details but IIRC it was sort of like a weird meta-narrative introducing new end-game villains who knew that the world of vana'diel is just a game or something and these new characters are the techno-gods who programmed it. In the context of a lot of other games it would have been pretty dorky and dumb, but in the context of current FFXI it feels like a very appropriate send-off to the game, because at this point it's a 22+ year old MMO and it's sort of recontextualized as this new end-game content being an entirely new narrative and story that you lore-abidingly get rushed/helped through by all of these new QoL features and like, that 'remixes' the game's old content in neat ways. It absolutely shatters the 4th wall in several places and really feels like a love letter from the devs to all the players.

In a lot of ways FFXI right now is a sort of museum to what FFXI was and the things that made it unique among MMOs. The mission line mentioned above is like a guided museum tour that makes sure you hit all of the important notes of the story without needing another player's help. The gift shop is full of experience boosters and various other neat/helpful/convenient things that you buy for in-game currency. I legitimately think I had more fun with my 2nd go of FFXI than I've ever had with another MMO. (Also I'm weird and would already have said FFXI was the best MMO ever prior to that)

But I mean, caveat emptor - this is a 20+ year old PS2 MMO. It's a very unique kind of janky and I might have been overwhelmed by things like the UI and the controls if they didn't come flooding back to me in a massive nostalgia rush as soon as I booted up the PlayOnline launcher for the first time and heard that music. I played a lot of FFXI when I was young and made some good friends in it, and this return trip was more jam-packed with nostalgia than anything I've experienced before. Like, drat, every single zone in FFXI is oozing with personality. Everywhere I went brought back memories. I stepped into Yhoator/Yuhtunga and literally tasted mango juice because at whatever point in time I was leveling my WHM through there in the oldschool FFXI days I was drinking a lot of mango juice.

There's a whole pokemon system for collecting NPC party members (with some being way stronger than others, but harder to unlock). There are multiple event zones with neat gimmicks added through various expansions over the years. There's content that's still difficult. Everything still feels like an adventure.

Every single piece of pure tedium has been removed. You don't have to feed a chocobo 3x daily for a week to get a chocobo license anymore. There's a mod that lets you skip boat/airship travel times.

Anyway drat :allears: Writing all of that up kind of makes me want to resub for a bit.

Thanks for the effort post btw, genuinely appreciate it. I've thought about giving it a try again since they made it super easy to level now, but I feel like the nostalgia would be more painful than positive. I spent far more hours in FFXI than any other game I've played, and while I did enjoy the game itself, most of the memories I have of it are of the social interactions I had with other players. The game was so brutal and cryptic, but we were all in it together. Straight up gallows humor about leveling down or losing all your seals on a failed BCNM. I'll probably never get that aspect of the game back, and just zipping up to level 99 would probably feel more like playing a different game wearing FFXI's skin. Insert Blade Runner monologue here I guess.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

deep dish peat moss posted:

5) Ubisoft's James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (Multi-platform, 2009)

I have to admit something and please do not ban me for this mods - but I have never played this game. But come on! It's the greatest video game developer of all time and the greatest director of all time making a game of the greatest movie of all time, there's no way this doesn't deserve a place on this list. It's incredible that they were able to develop this game and P:HS in the same year.

Avatar is a movie that asks you to fall in love with these wonderful blue people, Avatar is a game that asks you run around the forest gunning them down by the hundreds. It's absurd and it's not the worst thing in the world. It's certainly not good though.

I played it earlier this year. It's game that's not ambitious in any way, but is clearly made by people who considered themselves ambitious "Yeah let's make like an open world avatar role playing third person shooter with branching story paths and vehicles and multiple different gameplay styles!" and it's only technically that. It plays like an MMO, right down to having your abilities, including your sprint button on a cooldown. Most of the quests are literally "Go to this area, kill 5 Navi Warriors and return" I wouldn't be surprised if they originally intended it to be an MMO, or a multiplayer thing of some sort but I couldn't find any confirmation of that.

It also has the worst audio mixing I've ever seen in a game.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 24, 2023

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
AC1 got a lot of leeway for the then novel ability to just climb onto the rooftops and run in a straight line towards the objective instead of getting annoyed navigating a maze of streets, dead ends, and unintuitive maps. Lots of games of that era were still designed under the “box canyon” model of world design so AC made you feel like you were going out of bounds on a Halo map or something. Almost felt like you had “defeated” the devs. That of course wore off once every game started having more open world design.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I liked all the dumb modern day god conspiracy stuff in the early Assassin's Creed games and Ubisoft ditching it put me off playing the more recent games in the series. It's probably the only thing in the first game that even makes it worthwhile playing anymore just so you're all prepped up for the glory of the Assassin's Creed 2 trilogy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
AC2 was fun since it fixed a lot of the firsts jank but it really lost the plot even in the historical segments. Brotherhood me going for a bit since it was just an expansion pack for 2, but Revelation and 3 I bounced off of for being played out and no longer novel.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I played the poo poo out of 3 and it was pretty crappy. It didn't help that the colonial US just isn't very architecturally impressive. In L'saboteuer, you could climb the Eiffel Tower! And on the other hand you have AC3, "you can climb the historic boston pig-rendering hut"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AC Revelations had a pretty neat grenade crafting system with a lot of varied effects, but if you used any of them the game became way too easy. And this is a game where you can already one-shot pretty much any group of 4 or fewer dudes

e: AC Odyssey gives you a literally-magic spear that can teleport you between guys as you're assassinating them in slow-mo, and even that feels like it's less ridiculously overpowered than Revelation's grenades

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

When I first heard of Assassins Creed in development I hoped it was going to be like a historical Hitman game. That would have been good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The thing that gets me with assassins creed is that they picked that for the name, built a bunch of stealth mechanics into their game, and then fell in love with their incredibly lovely combat system. The final boss of the first game was a giant combat gauntlet with zero of the stealth stuff and not, i dunno hear me out here, a dude that its really hard to sneak to and assassinate. It only got more prominent from there and the open combat in those games was so, so bad.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tenchu also had the excellent mobility options to rock around the map except that game ruled.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've had 3 assassins creed games for free: one with a bunch of 360 games a friend gave me before he moved away, one with a graphics card and one from another friend who received them into the charity shop they worked at which couldn't be sold. It's a pretty dull series of games.

I noticed origins and odyssey are on gamepass but I'd spend more time downloading them than playing them.

And yet here I am looking forward to full devil may cry series playthrough

That's because Devil May Cry is great. Just himbos surfing on swords and poo poo while you make numbers go up. Perfect.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
DMC 3 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 2

I wish I could put 5 in last place, but 2 was so ridiculously bad that it would just be dishonest

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Dynamite Headdy is the best Sega Genisis platformer.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Devils Affricate posted:

DMC 3 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 2

I wish I could put 5 in last place, but 2 was so ridiculously bad that it would just be dishonest

Yeah, this is correct (I never played DmC though). 1 was great at the time, but there's only so much 2000 era jank I can take, but that says more about me than a game that was loving excellent at the time.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Dizzy the Egg is more disgusting than James Pond, but both are more appealing than OG Rayman (Origins Rayman redesign is good). Basically, Europeans should never be allowed to design platform mascots, because they make poo poo like "Billy Turds in 'Detention!'", a C64 game about a red sphere with the face of a middle aged man who has to poo poo in every room of a school building and avoid the headmaster.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

James Elrond

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

video games are cool

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Disco Pope posted:

Dizzy the Egg is more disgusting than James Pond, but both are more appealing than OG Rayman (Origins Rayman redesign is good). Basically, Europeans should never be allowed to design platform mascots, because they make poo poo like "Billy Turds in 'Detention!'", a C64 game about a red sphere with the face of a middle aged man who has to poo poo in every room of a school building and avoid the headmaster.

So true

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, this is correct (I never played DmC though). 1 was great at the time, but there's only so much 2000 era jank I can take, but that says more about me than a game that was loving excellent at the time.

DmC wasn't the absolute garbage fire that I expected it to be, but it still wasn't a good game at all. In the above hierarchy, I'd place it between 5 and 2, but only very slightly behind 5.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Bayonetta is better than Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta 1 is the best of the three (although I haven't played number 3 but I'm straight up gonna assume I'm right)

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Disco Pope posted:

um excuse me but what about a cool and rad dude known the world over as ZOOL

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

video games are cool

Never heard of it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Everyone says devil may cry 2 is garbage but I'm kinda looking forward to it

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I bet you can't even beat DMC 1, JBJ

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Devils Affricate posted:

I bet you can't even beat DMC 1, JBJ

8 missions deep bitch

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

For real the Saturn is so goddamned good

Also I still have like Albert Odyssey and some other games complete in the oversized jewel case... Turns out as of a year ago they were worth like $500+ each? Noice

The Saturn had some crazy good games from working designs and other third party developers (dragon force was one of my favorites), if you're loaded you can get a complete panzer dragoon saga game for a few grand (people on eBay used to part the game out and sell single discs for a few hundred bucks a piece,lol)

You'll still have to shell out heavy for games, the emulation for that thing was a nightmare up until 5 or 6 years ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Everyone says devil may cry 2 is garbage but I'm kinda looking forward to it

its very brown

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Poco posted:

The Saturn had some crazy good games from working designs and other third party developers (dragon force was one of my favorites), if you're loaded you can get a complete panzer dragoon saga game for a few grand (people on eBay used to part the game out and sell single discs for a few hundred bucks a piece,lol)

You'll still have to shell out heavy for games, the emulation for that thing was a nightmare up until 5 or 6 years ago.

You can also get carts that let you run disk images right from the Saturn's expansion slot or play games you imported. There's a lot of cool Saturn stuff that didn't get a US release that's perfectly playable without knowing Japanese...

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

um excuse me but what about a cool and rad dude known the world over as ZOOL

Zool was cool in theory, but I'm pretty sure all the levels were cake themed with lollypop adverts sticking out of them. Just gross and off-putting.

Also why is the "Nth" dimension rainbow coloured like that? Pure wokeism.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Amiga games were like "drive a car slow, but there are polygons", "weird euro-mascot bouncing on cake" or "fly a shapeship at a giger-monster but also its pinball"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Disco Pope posted:

Amiga games were like "drive a car slow, but there are polygons", "weird euro-mascot bouncing on cake" or "fly a shapeship at a giger-monster but also its pinball"

Amiga was amazing for strategy games, adventure games and simulators. Basically the better PC for gaming before Windows 95.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Devils Affricate posted:

DMC 3 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 2

I still honestly can’t believe I beat 3. I am so much worse at video games now, that game would beat my stupid rear end now.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

zool was sponsored by chupa chups in the UK, so it had a bunch of real sweets in it.

there was also the game 'pushover' for the amiga that was sponsored by the crisps 'quavers'.

the aforementioned james pond had 'penguin' biscuits in it too.

weird product placement now i think about it.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I still honestly can’t believe I beat 3. I am so much worse at video games now, that game would beat my stupid rear end now.

I bought it on sale a while ago and didn't enjoy it, at all. And I beat it when it was new, too.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

Bayonetta is better than Devil May Cry

This really should be true, but there's so many things that drag Bayonetta down for me. Some of these are less of an issue today than they were in 2010 though.

• Button mashing is pointless. Making you spin the analogue stick will also cause stick drift since controllers use cheaper components now than on the Gamecube or Xbox 360. DMC very rarely makes you mash buttons, the only exceptions are Nero's Devil Bringer moves that become a bit more powerful when you mash or some poorly designed boss fights in DMC1 and 2 which require you to constantly shoot at them.

• The QTEs are stupidly unforgiving, even when I know they're coming and which buttons I need to press. The game might even fail you for doing them too early. In Shenmue, RE4 and God of War all that happens when you fail is that you need to start the cutscene over, but in Bayonetta one mistake completely ruins your chapter ranking.

• No button remapping. Apparently Kamiya doesn't see the need for it, even when asked by people with disabilities. Dodge should be on L1, since why would you put something that needs to be as responsive as possible on a trigger with so much travel? At least the PC version has remapping and modern consoles let you do it from the system settings.

• Kamiya quirks. I love DMC1 too but I shouldn't need to remember which cutscenes have enemies attacking you immediately afterwards when skipping them, or play lengthy minigame segments that are ranked as strictly as the regular combat.

• Bad PS3 performance and load times. I've bought it for PC, PS4 and Switch since then but it really dragged down my first experience. This was almost 2 years after DMC4 had a flawless 60fps on both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

• I just don't like the whole dial-a-combo and wicked weaves compared to DMC's simple rhythm combos. In DMC most of your moves do around the same damage, so you're choosing which move to use based on how many enemies are surrounding you or how it moves your character. I kept expecting Bayonetta to give me a Devil Trigger equivalent at some point but the magic meter just turns out to be for those tedious torture attacks.

• The ranking system is so much clearer in DMC. Just a big letter in the corner of the screen telling you how well you're doing, and you can even see the gauge rising or falling to know what affects it. I have no idea how anyone is supposed to pay attention to that huge list of numbers in Bayonetta. Why can't I disable it so it's not cluttering up the screen?

• Bayonetta just feels too similar in each game. Dante plays completely differently between DMC1, 2, 3 and DmC, while 4 and V introduce a brand new character along with remixing the returning ones. Still, 3 games of Bayonetta are still preferable to 6 games of Kratos mashing Square Square Triangle.

• Side missions are required for a decent chapter ranking. In all the DMC games you can get all S ranks without playing any Secret Missions but in Bayonetta (and other Platinum games like Metal Gear Rising) you're constantly having to backtrack to find them. You also only need to do them once in DMC instead of every time you play the mission. This doesn't apply to DMC1 though due to its bad save system.

DMC4 also had a great system where every move you bought could be refunded, so there's nothing stopping you from experimenting or returning a move you don't find useful. You can also afford nearly everything by the end of your first playthrough.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm really sad Viewtiful Joe went away, that game was great. The sequel had slight diminishing returns, but nothing that should have been a franchise killer.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Didn't they also make a fighting game spin off?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

FoolyCharged posted:

Didn't they also make a fighting game spin off?

Huh, apparently so! And then a DS game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

speedball 2 bitch