Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Not my work, but organisations I have to deal with:

We want to apply for a grant to implement a fundraising plan. One of the example projects the grant can be used for is 'Creating, adapting and implementing a fundraising plan', I've been advised that intelligible ineligible expenses include 'any type of activities that will provide the organization with income or profits' and 'not its execution in the form of fundraising activity'.

:psypop:

e: :argh:

Outrail fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That doesn't sound very intelligible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think that means you can spend it on any planning and preparing for a fundraising exercise, but not to pay for executing the exercise itself. So no paying chuggers, street staff or cold callers.

But I would talk to someone at the grant provider and ask them what the gently caress.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

goatface posted:

I think that means you can spend it on any planning and preparing for a fundraising exercise, but not to pay for executing the exercise itself. So no paying chuggers, street staff or cold callers.

But I would talk to someone at the grant provider and ask them what the gently caress.

Yeah, that's precisely what they mean. That's the clarification I got after asking what the gently caress.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"As per my previous email, what the gently caress?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Dumb poo poo your work does - As per my previous email, what the gently caress?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Remember that time the CEO cut our Fridays off from once a month to once a quarter? Well, he sent us another email about it (warning: long), this time with the subject "Velocity Matters". :)

quote:

Hi Team,

A number of people have noted that with FY24 planning there is a lot of talk about velocity, urgency, and execution excellence. Folks have noted that across all of our FY24 Company Crews, the CEO is the Exec Sponsor on only one, and that crew is Execution Excellence. I think it's fair to say the subtext is "Why in the world does it make sense for the CEO to focus on the details of execution and not on the broader strategy as we head into what is sure to be a challenging FY24"?

A simple but powerful formula I think about is:

Strategy + Execution Excellence + Urgency = Velocity

Velocity, which is both speed and direction, is the key to our future success. The company with the highest velocity has enormous advantages. Higher velocity means faster decisions, faster iteration, faster innovation, faster speed to market, and ultimately delivering more value to our customers. A focus on velocity does not mean we stop making big bets or lower our quality bar - it means that we do those things with a focus on our speed to market.

But we can't just all tell ourselves "go faster". We have to collectively create an environment where world-class velocity is achievable.

Velocity starts with the right strategy. For FY24 we have a well articulated strategy, as detailed in the strategy memo, and if we deliver on that strategy I am confident we will win the category. So execution excellence, urgency, and velocity are now front and center for me and the leadership team.

Execution Excellence requires a number of things:

* Aligned priorities. We are driving this through our Company OKRs, Company Initiatives, and Company Crews.
* Clear Roles and Responsibilities. We are driving this through the consistent application of the [company] Crew Model.
* Efficient Decision Making. We are driving this through the consistent application of the GREAT decision making framework to delegate decisions and empower our people.
* Fewer Meetings, Better Meetings. We are driving this through consistent application of meeting best practices. Meetings are core to how we work, and making them more efficient is a critical piece of execution excellence.

Having the right strategy and execution are necessary but not sufficient to achieve high velocity. You need "skill" (strategy + execution) but you also need the "will" to go fast and that is where urgency comes in.

Urgency is not a one-time thing; it's not an email or a memo. Urgency is a mindset to pick up the pace, get things done, and deliver customer value. Urgency creates energy and momentum and excitement. Urgency is not code for working more hours, rather, it is about working and thinking differently. It's using every encounter, meeting, and opportunity to increase the pace of whatever is going on. A culture of urgency sets ambitious but achievable schedules, constantly looks for and removes blockers that are slowing down projects, challenges assumptions that might be unnecessarily burdening crews, and in general remains laser focused on delivering real customer value as fast as possible.

An analogy I think about is running a race. To win the race you need both the skill but you also need the will to win the race. Often the race goes to the runner that wants it more and is willing to push harder. The same is true in business. Combined with the right strategy and execution, a company with the will to push hard is almost impossible to beat.

Coming back to the original question, my focus on execution excellence is a means to help us increase our velocity. With the right strategy, execution excellence, and urgency we will remain unstoppable.

Thanks,
Robert

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Too many buzzwords! I'm...I'm blackin' out!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Help my eyes just keep sliding off the page

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
keep your head down, and power through

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Increase Robert and the rest of the executive team's velocity via the boardroom window tia

What a useless pack of oxygen thieves

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im about to start howard stern soundboarding our new mandatory virtual morning meeting

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

YeahTubaMike posted:

Remember that time the CEO cut our Fridays off from once a month to once a quarter? Well, he sent us another email about it (warning: long), this time with the subject "Velocity Matters". :)

That's a lot of words to say "We should do good, by being good and doing good things."

Also you can tell the CEO was real proud of coming up with "skill" vs" will" and really wanted to work that in no matter how awkwardly.

Also even if you take his e-mail at face value, he starts out going "So why does sit make sense for the CEO to focus on Execution and the little details instead of overall strategy?" and then the entire rest of the e-mail is about why every other part of his formulas to success is important but only ever talking about what he's actually doing with Execution, not why it matters and why it makes sense for him to focus on it. At best, he's saying "Well, urgency is a mindset and there's only so much I can do to make that happen, and we already figured out our strategy, so basically there's only one thing left for me to do (assuming my formula has any rooting in reality and isn't just brainworms I made up to sound smart)."

So...I guess this entire letter is just a long-winded justification for why the CEO is micromanaging things?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

New company strategy:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Urgency is not code for working more hours, rather,

Narrator: it was, in fact, code for working more hours unpaid.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

DeeplyConcerned posted:

keep your head down, and power through

My coworkers have been talking about taking their own Fridays off out of their (unlimited) PTO since the day that first email went out, and I only hope that taking our own Fridays off won't end up getting our PTO limited.

Also, I have to power through because if I leave before April, I'll have to pay back my signing bonus.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Escape From Noise posted:

New company strategy:

OP if you start putting up "Gotta go fast" stickers around the office you might just end up becoming an office folk hero. Especially since if the CEO catches wind he might just take it seriously and figure the grunts are on board with his velocity strategy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Thank you guys who replies to me last page. The RED square on a spreadsheet makes the most sense.

My supervisor was supposed to meet with me about it today and didn't make it in so I'm tempted to ask him for an excused absence because I have a big loving mouth but I know better. Whoever posted how this poo poo feels like 4th grade bullshit was spot on and I think that's what bugs me most about it. I'm a grown man, a parent and have serious health issues.

Being treated like a child is hard for me to shake.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

YeahTubaMike posted:

Just start taping up variations of with lovely word art VELOCITY poorly mspainted over it.

Rocket powered roller skates, rocket sled, cliff dive to the ground, big catapult, etc. Plenty of VELOCITY to choose from, all of it stupid.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Make sure you change ACME to whatever the name of your company is.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BiggerBoat posted:

Thank you guys who replies to me last page. The RED square on a spreadsheet makes the most sense.

My supervisor was supposed to meet with me about it today and didn't make it in so I'm tempted to ask him for an excused absence because I have a big loving mouth but I know better. Whoever posted how this poo poo feels like 4th grade bullshit was spot on and I think that's what bugs me most about it. I'm a grown man, a parent and have serious health issues.

Being treated like a child is hard for me to shake.

That was me. I know how absolutely frustrating it is to be in that kind of role and can sympathize. In a prior company we would have supervisors stand at the clock in/out terminals to keep anyone from clocking out "early" in the three minute grace period or clocking in even a second after the normal start time, despite the three minute grace period there as well. If you woke up sick and called out your supervisor could decide if that was worth giving you a strike because the company and union had agreed to a 12 hour warning before any unplanned absence. There were all sorts of weird rules about lunch, too. The company rule was that you got a half hour unpaid lunch that you could take any time any day of the week. The department head determined that meant everyone in our department had to take lunch at 11:30. This pissed people off more than the clock in/clock out monitoring. People tried to get the union to intervene and they just declined to do anything because they had already gotten on the department head's poo poo list for making him split overtime opportunities evenly across the department.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lazyfire posted:

People tried to get the union to intervene and they just declined to do anything because they had already gotten on the department head's poo poo list

What? That's the unions loving job, they're not supposed to be friends wtf

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Regarding recruiters, I'm in a kinda specialized job, and there aren't many places that hire people with my skillset. So I know most of the places off the top of my head and love to guess what firm is recruiting now, so I can tell them no. God I love telling recruiters no.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Small industries are fun. I like it when recruiters try to tap you for a job and you ask them what company it is and they won't say because they know if you're interested you'll just call the team lead and they'll miss out on their commission.

Like, there's ten companies but it's probably Julie or Dave's team because they always seem to be looking for people. But yeah let's go through multiple rounds of emails and forms and meetings and poo poo with the recruiter and the larger company so I can finally sit in a room with Dave and ask how his kid is doing or do an interview with Julie where the first question is going to be 'Did you make it home ok last weekend? Stop letting my husband drink so much'.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I'm gonna put my resume up on some sites and throw out some apps soon just to see what's up, and I am dreading a recruiter from that drug factory calling me now that everyone has shuffled out

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
It's fun getting hounded by a recruiter until you talk to them. They always have a great opportunity at a great company, but absolutely will not tell you who the company is.
"I'm not going to work for poo poo Corp doing poo poo job. So do you still want to talk to me?"
*crickets*

Somehow this great company always needs to backfill :iiam:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What's the end goal anyway? Go through the whole hiring process and you don't get to see what company it is until you've signed?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Getting you so far down the line you feel too awkward to tell them to gently caress off.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

goatface posted:

Getting you so far down the line you feel too awkward to tell them to gently caress off.

That's my secret, I never feel too awkward to tell someone to gently caress off.

In fact, telling someone to gently caress off can shift the awkwardness from you onto them.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

What's the end goal anyway? Go through the whole hiring process and you don't get to see what company it is until you've signed?

You learn who it is after you agree to move forward. That way you can't go around them and just apply on the company website. They're also licking the cookie hoping that they're the first one to put you in front of the company so no other recruiter can touch you.

Or they've already sent an old resume and are trying to hard sell you to agree.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cthulu Carl posted:

That's my secret, I never feel too awkward to tell someone to gently caress off.

In fact, telling someone to gently caress off can shift the awkwardness from you onto them.

I went to two job interviews the day I got the job I'm working right now, and the second one I went to told me none of the poo poo I wanted to hear for what they wanted to hire me for, and I walked out with them telling me they'd really hope I would work for them but they'd understand if I didn't. Emailed the guy the next day when I took my job, outlined the reasons, and he sent me an email back congratulating me and telling me I was gonna do good stuff.

Both interviews ended with, "well, do you have any questions for us?"
"Yeah, actually, can you walk me along the floor of your factory and show me some of your process?"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Just start taping up variations of with lovely word art VELOCITY poorly mspainted over it.

Rocket powered roller skates, rocket sled, cliff dive to the ground, big catapult, etc. Plenty of VELOCITY to choose from, all of it stupid.

If only the office weren't on the opposite coast from me :(

(not just for the vandalism opportunities, but also because I'm one of the only people I know who prefers working in an office)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My work is changing mileage ( and, in fact, ALL travel/expense related items) yet again. They are combining four different reimbursement policies, which, to be fair, seems excessive, into a single cohesive one.

I don't do any actual travel, or client meetings, or anything like that. I only use their mileage reimbursement. It changed once last July. I went from getting approx. $800 a month in mileage reimbursement to about $400. Now it looks like I might drop down to $0, but...that's in the air and my managers are looking into it. There's two things that are worded to make it seem like I won't be getting anything.

1) In the "Quick summary" email about changes to the expense policy, there is a line that said

quote:

Mileage incurred commuting to your contractual place of work is not reimbursable

The issue is what "contractual place of work" means. If it means just the main office I "work" out of, then I will still get reimbursed because I never go there. I am basically full time contracted to a client, 40 hours a week at a client that's ~40 miles from my home.

But...there's the rub. I am CONTRACTED to work for that customer, so is THEIR office considered my "contractual place of work"?

2) There is a chart in the longer, full policy linked to in the email that seems to confirm this. It has "Traveling from" on one axis, and "traveling to" on the other.

Traveling form "Home" to a "Non-[employer's] place or work" is a NO for counting as business miles. As is going form home TO my employer's place of work, but going from Employer's place of work to a non-employer's place of work is covered, so in theory if I go to my "main" office I never go to, and from there travel to where I actually work out of, that's reimbursed.

So basically going forward I'm just going to lie and say I start every day at my office and from there go to the client site. I'll just have to adjust the mileage form to reflect the mileage from the office to where I work, which is only like 5 miles less than from my home, so not a HUGE deal.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

If I'm not getting reimbursed for my commute, gently caress working there. That poo poo adds up.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

What? That's the unions loving job, they're not supposed to be friends wtf

Not there. We had union officer elections just before starting contract negotiations and the union presidency was between the guy who was president for like the last 15 years and claimed his great relationship with the company would mean a better deal and the other guy was a "gently caress the company, we want the pension plan back" type who saw the company having 70 years of contracts as a sign we should be pushing for greater corporate concessions after the union had conceded a few benefits on the last contract when the company was doing poorly. The incumbent won and then proceeded to let the company put us on high deductible medical plans in exchange for hiring more unionized employees over the next ten years. People were pissed, it was the closest the union had come to having the contract rejected since they went on strike in the 80's. The union leadership was absolutely compromised by the company and their only real goal was to expand the number of people in the union. They even decided to forgo any sort of automatic raise or update to the top level pay and instead offered a $1000 contract signing bonus.

The company made it clear for the previous five years they were always going to expand the workforce due to retirements and new work coming in, which meant the union really had them in a spot where the company needed the union to cooperate and asking for more money and at least the same level of medical benefits would have probably have been extremely easy. Instead we got HSAs and a one time payment.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Lol, I remember getting told that yes driving out to a remote transcriptionist's house was ok for mileage, but if I was going home after it wasn't. They'd only cover it if I was driving back to the office. I simply chose to schedule any trips like that in the early part of my day, so I'd get reimbursed both ways. My manager wasn't happy because she wanted me to go at the end of my day (was salary) so she could have me around to poo poo out golden eggs for her all day. I miss the work itself, some of my coworkers, none of the management.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Come to think of it, this story is second-hand and from a while ago but it might fit the thread.

So back in the '00s when China was the big hot new market that everyone wanted to be in on, there was a regional CEO of a major multinational you've probably heard of. Now most of the time, when folks from HQ visited regional CEOs in China, they'd take them out to five star restaurants in big cities like Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzen, really show off how wealthy and prestigious China was and what a big deal the regional CEOs were in turn and how important it was to keep doing business in China and funneling resources towards them.

Our hero did not do this. He HATED it when people from corporate came to town because he wanted them to leave him alone and allow him to run his section of the company exactly the way he felt it should be run. So when folks from the home office came to town, he'd drag them with him into a car and start driving, out past the suburbs, out past the city limits, as far as he could into the rural sticks of China (which has and still does suffer from being heavily underinvested in compared to the big cities) to lodge with a rice farmer for the duration of the stay, all the way ranting about how this was the REAL China, you fuckers back home don't know poo poo, *I* know how China works, YOU don't, and if YOU want to learn what China really is you do what I do and stay here eating plain rice with the salt of the earth until you get it through your thick skull that you ain't in Kansas anymore, bucko!

It worked - people from the home office never visited more than once and he was left with a very free hand to do whatever he felt like.

Lest you think too much of the guy, though, "whatever he felt like" meant "indulging his emotional desire for total control" - he was apparently notorious for randomly pulling all-day meetings of all his senior managers to basically yell at them for twelve hours straight, no bathroom or food breaks. The only reason people put up with it was because he paid EXTREMELY well.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
^^: are they hiring?

Salami Surgeon posted:

You learn who it is after you agree to move forward. That way you can't go around them and just apply on the company website. They're also licking the cookie hoping that they're the first one to put you in front of the company so no other recruiter can touch you.

Or they've already sent an old resume and are trying to hard sell you to agree.

Except you can tell them 'yeah actually not interested' and then go apply on the company website.

e:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Traveling form "Home" to a "Non-[employer's] place or work" is a NO for counting as business miles. As is going form home TO my employer's place of work, but going from Employer's place of work to a non-employer's place of work is covered, so in theory if I go to my "main" office I never go to, and from there travel to where I actually work out of, that's reimbursed.

First you drive from home (444a DrBouvenstein Cresent) to your remote office (444b DrBouvenstein Cresent), then you go to other work locations, then you go back to the remote office, then you drive home.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 25, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

So it sounds to me like some dipshit manager saw a spot where they could “save” the company a few bucks, is going to push a stupid revision to the policy through, and then by the time a bunch of people have said “gently caress this” and left it’ll be several quarters past the implementation and they’ll have been promoted instead of getting fired for being a loving dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lazyfire posted:

That was me. I know how absolutely frustrating it is to be in that kind of role and can sympathize. In a prior company we would have supervisors stand at the clock in/out terminals to keep anyone from clocking out "early" in the three minute grace period or clocking in even a second after the normal start time, despite the three minute grace period there as well. If you woke up sick and called out your supervisor could decide if that was worth giving you a strike because the company and union had agreed to a 12 hour warning before any unplanned absence. There were all sorts of weird rules about lunch, too. The company rule was that you got a half hour unpaid lunch that you could take any time any day of the week. The department head determined that meant everyone in our department had to take lunch at 11:30. This pissed people off more than the clock in/clock out monitoring. People tried to get the union to intervene and they just declined to do anything because they had already gotten on the department head's poo poo list for making him split overtime opportunities evenly across the department.

What time was recess? And were you allowed to play D&D in study hall or did you have to pretend to read?

Also, I know that I always make sure that I get sick, throw my back out, get a migraine or experience food poisoning before I even go to bed the night before. Because it's completely insane that anyone would ever wake up in the middle of the night vomiting, having diarrhea or a fever or arising first thing in the morning feeling sick or experiencing pain. Nope. Never happens.

Didn't happen to me last week when my body decided I couldn't walk at 7am. My 4 year old son didn't wake up at 4am vomiting either. gently caress all this poo poo.

How does a UNION agree to this type of bargaining? It's 8:55 pm right now and I am due at work at 9:30 am. Better make up my mind if I want to be sick in a half hour then and decide how my back/hip are gonna feel at 7:40 am. I should probably just throw my back out now just to be on the safe side

You can tell this is drummed up by CEO's and Sales Managers because they're treating calling out sick just like scheduling a tee time.

There really needs to be some sort of federal paid sick leave law for every worker. And having to PROVE it within a certain timeline can get lost too. I don't have sick days so I'm gonna miss a day's pay AND drag my rear end to a doctor with a $50 co pay. The gently caress, man?