Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Christ, seriously. Talk about misrepresentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

*cries in data scientist*

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Speaking of reading, Heat 2: A Novel is out and I'm tempted to pick it up.

It's very good. Mann says he wants to make it a movie, and, being a huge Mann fanboy, I hope he gets the money to do it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He already did a sequel to heat; it was just called Miami Vice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FizFashizzle posted:

He already did a sequel to heat; it was just called Miami Vice.

Miami Vice is from the 80s, Heat came out in the 90s? Unless you mean the movie Miami which has vey little to do with Heat except being a stylistic movie about cops and criminals by the same director. Does that make Public Enemies a sequel to Miami Vice?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Was the Miami Vice movie the one that used a Linkin Park song in its trailers?

I actually quite liked the movie itself, even though the cinematography was rough (digital cameras just weren't there yet).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Timby posted:

Was the Miami Vice movie the one that used a Linkin Park song in its trailers?

I actually quite liked the movie itself, even though the cinematography was rough (digital cameras just weren't there yet).

Yeah also where they just had foxx and farrel mumbling incoherently the whole time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah also where they just had foxx and farrel mumbling incoherently the whole time.

I have never had an issue with understanding their dialogue whatsoever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skwirl posted:

I've been slowly reading through the Sharpe series of novels. It's kinda similar to the Master and Commander series in that it's historical military fiction during the Napoleonic Wars, but it focuses on a low born infantry Rifleman rising through the ranks, instead of ships.

Late to this, these are all kinda sameish narratively but work well. Same author I noted writing historical fiction about the Vikings a long time back when AC: Valhalla came out.

Like every book no matter what happened before our main character is broke or in some sort of trouble and manfully dominates everything in front of him eventually while being screwed over by everyone around him. I don't say this as a bad thing, it's good to me, I like it. Just that's the way they go. And you pick up stuff about how much it must have sucked to have your face and hands scarred by black powder blowing back into it and other stuff.

He has one formula but I do like Bernard Cornwell.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 24, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lol it was me and I had to stop to Snap that scene to my girlfriend because she does and my head is all the way up it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Miami Vice movie was more or less a 2-hour long episode. I enjoyed it, tho I'm curious what the initial ending where Crockett & Tubbs fought Montoya & Yero would've been like (filming for the finale had to be scrapped because Jamie Foxx got spooked out by a nearby shooting in the Dominican Republic while they were filming the earlier Cuba scenes).

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Is Space Engineers a good gently caress around in multiplayer game? It's 50% off ($10) on Steam right now, and has been on my wishlist for long enough I should either buy it or remove it from the list.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

T-Square posted:

Lol it was me and I had to stop to Snap that scene to my girlfriend because she does and my head is all the way up it

I had to rewind it and show it to my wife too. She couldn't stop laughing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
90 seconds to midnight baby!

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/24/1150982819/doomsday-clock-90-seconds-to-midnight

quote:

The world is closer to catastrophe than ever: the Doomsday Clock, the metaphorical measure of challenges to humanity, was reset to 90 seconds before midnight on Tuesday.

The science and security board of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists said the move — the closest to widespread calamity humanity has ever been judged to be — was "largely, though not exclusively" due to the war in Ukraine.

Gotta admit I'm less worried about Putin destroying the world than I am climate change, but if he wants to he could I guess.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Lmao wtf that took me a minute

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That is impressively dishonest

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

Gotta admit I'm less worried about Putin destroying the world than I am climate change, but if he wants to he could I guess.

I’m too lazy to reword the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntJtBttuPjk

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Grittybeard posted:

The Doomsday Clock is like the Razzies of geopolitics

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

General Dog posted:

The Doomsday Clock is like the Razzies of geopolitics

i get it

also nobody cares about if documents are classified anymore

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1617937975144218664

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Miami Vice movie was more or less a 2-hour long episode. I enjoyed it, tho I'm curious what the initial ending where Crockett & Tubbs fought Montoya & Yero would've been like (filming for the finale had to be scrapped because Jamie Foxx got spooked out by a nearby shooting in the Dominican Republic while they were filming the earlier Cuba scenes).

I thought it was kind of a poopy movie but it had some great scenes and overall excellent vibes/aesthetic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Graphic Design is my passion

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Miami Vice is from the 80s, Heat came out in the 90s? Unless you mean the movie Miami which has vey little to do with Heat except being a stylistic movie about cops and criminals by the same director. Does that make Public Enemies a sequel to Miami Vice?

Public Enemies is the prequel to a long nap

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The replies are great

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Vertical Lime posted:

i get it

also nobody cares about if documents are classified anymore

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1617937975144218664

At this point, I'm wondering if some of these classified documents are just like, memos about security updates or password changes. Stuff that's important, but also things that no one thinks are important when they're packing up

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Oscar nominations are out, and honestly - it's mostly movies people watched (or should watch) instead of the usual oscar bait. EEAAO got 11 (!) nominations, Banshees got a bunch, so did Top Gun.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Banshees is nice to look at, but it just felt like a shaggy dog story to me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Shinji2015 posted:

At this point, I'm wondering if some of these classified documents are just like, memos about security updates or password changes. Stuff that's important, but also things that no one thinks are important when they're packing up

From what I've read, there's a huge incentive to mark documents as classified, even if they shouldn't be. If you mark something as unclassified, and oops it should have been, then you get smacked hard, but no one is smacking your hand for marking things classified when they shouldn't. So you have tons of classified documents floating around and a ton of them are completely trivial. Now throw in some overworked staffers, and a bunch of innocuous classified documents get shoved in a box with a bunch of other stuff. Now we know how we end up with classified documents all over the place.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I said it before, but this stuff happens with every administration. Classified isn't just reserved for things like spy assignments, nuclear codes, or troop deployments. Travel schedules (that are now defunct and out of date), interoffice stuff, and things like phone logs between government officials (i.e. Secretary of State talking to Prime Minister of Svenborgia) along with lots of mundane poo poo are classified. They may not be important or useful on their own, but aggregated with other documents can provide some intel.

And again, the big difference between Pence and Biden and what happened with Trump is that the Archives services asked the FBI to look, the FBI asked and got access to look or got the documents themselves. Trump lied, refused access, and doubled down with all his bullshit.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1617943103083581441

This is something I've been saying should happen for a while, they've bought up so many of their competitors over the past 2 decades and then tailored their search engine to promote pages that use ad keywords (hence why every recipe has stupid loving blog post attached to it)

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah the scuttlebutt is that a) we classify way too much stuff in general and b) mishandling of documents labeled as classified is a not-uncommon occurrence. The Trump thing would have gone away if he hadn’t dug in and forced the FBI to raid his stupid compound. But he did and now every report of mishandling of classified information has to be reported just as breathlessly so the news media can cling to their supposed impartiality (that no one believes in anyway so they’re just shooting themselves in the dick for no reason).

It’s all incredibly dumb and incredibly America in this time and political climate.

e: I was beaten but I also wanted to rant about the stupid news cycle on this so :shrug:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

gently caress it, having a lovely week and wife and I have the weekend off so I just booked a weekend trip to Busch Gardens with a bunch of behind the scenes tours and animal encounter packages. Never thought I would be excited about going to Tampa, but here we are! Gonna pet some cheetahs and hang out with sloths, then ride a bunch of roller coasters and scream into the void.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Freaquency posted:

Yeah the scuttlebutt is that a) we classify way too much stuff in general and b) mishandling of documents labeled as classified is a not-uncommon occurrence. The Trump thing would have gone away if he hadn’t dug in and forced the FBI to raid his stupid compound. But he did and now every report of mishandling of classified information has to be reported just as breathlessly so the news media can cling to their supposed impartiality (that no one believes in anyway so they’re just shooting themselves in the dick for no reason).

It’s all incredibly dumb and incredibly America in this time and political climate.

e: I was beaten but I also wanted to rant about the stupid news cycle on this so :shrug:

I've never been a fan of assigning nefarious intentions when plain old stupidity will do but 99% all politicians should be put to death at this point so ya know. Is what it is.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

gently caress it, having a lovely week and wife and I have the weekend off so I just booked a weekend trip to Busch Gardens with a bunch of behind the scenes tours and animal encounter packages. Never thought I would be excited about going to Tampa, but here we are! Gonna pet some cheetahs and hang out with sloths, then ride a bunch of roller coasters and scream into the void.

This sounds really nice

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

BlindSite posted:

I've never been a fan of assigning nefarious intentions when plain old stupidity will do but 99% all politicians should be put to death at this point so ya know. Is what it is.

Trump is usually a combination of both

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1617943103083581441

This is something I've been saying should happen for a while, they've bought up so many of their competitors over the past 2 decades and then tailored their search engine to promote pages that use ad keywords (hence why every recipe has stupid loving blog post attached to it)

Recipe Filter extension.

You're welcome.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
https://twitter.com/RickandMorty/status/1618009508420386817

So I guess the allegations about Roiland must be pretty serious

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah that'll be the end of ol Rick and morty

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BlindSite posted:

Yeah that'll be the end of ol Rick and morty

I wish.

Somehow it will get one more season that will only be available online or Hulu, then quietly die.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I wish.

Somehow it will get one more season that will only be available online or Hulu, then quietly die.

Well, Hulu has a deal with him too for Solar Opposites...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wish.

As they imply in the post, the 7th season is probably already deep into production, though I wonder if it isn't more valuable at this point as a write-off, especially considering Warner Discovery Whatever's recent fondness for throwing completed stuff in the trash and claiming a loss on it. I can't imagine who's actually going to want to watch a season's worth of "lost" episodes with the leads voiced by somebody else.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 24, 2023