Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

Knowing my own playstyle I barely use strong attacks, I'm usually quick in & out, whirling & dodging. Iris would likely end up another epic sword on my pile of epic swords. If I save Olgierd it'll be because Gaunter seems like a Crone-level threat.

well by your own admission there i'm going to recommend going with your gut and not the gameplay stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

"he knew what he was getting into when that leprechaun gave him a 10 inch pianist"

Don't make deals with Cereal Mascots

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

By the way I'm spoiling for the benefit of anyone still new to the game and wasn't sure of the rules. I've beaten this before and know the endings. Just wondering which reward is more useful/interesting on future playthroughs.

Roach will be fully dressed in the fanciest finery the minute I get to Toussaint so the haunted saddle would be going into storage until NG+

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like it was implied that Olgierd had some kind of malice at the start of his wishes, and wasn't some kind of innocent guy just down on his luck being taken advantage of.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Third time playing the game.
Yennefer and Emperor still stay rejected for the third time.

Doing the Deathmarch run, thus the bulging face veins.
It doesn't feel that much harder after the initial hump.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Hobo Clown posted:

Knowing my own playstyle I barely use strong attacks, I'm usually quick in & out, whirling & dodging. Iris would likely end up another epic sword on my pile of epic swords. If I save Olgierd it'll be because Gaunter seems like a Crone-level threat.

As someone with a similar playstyle, I recommend using Iris because a) it's a reminder of HoS's narrative quality, and b) it looks cool

(also if you play on PC you can mod it to have comparable stats to any other sword)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Wait, you can't use the mutagenerator in NG+?
What's the point of it then?
Grinding randomly roaming mobs after you have done literally everything else before starting NG+?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I never used Iris at all in this playthrough, it went straight onto my wall at Corvo Bianco.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Fritz the Horse posted:

It's a bit confusing but my understanding is (Hearts of Stone megaspoilers based on the quest log entries partly):

I think there are two sets of three wishes: Olgierd gets three wishes from Gaunter directly, then Gaunter gets Olgierd's soul only after a proxy (Geralt) fulfills three wishes/tasks for Olgierd.

Olgierd summons Gaunter and makes a deal: Gaunter gets Olgierd's soul and in exchange Olgierd has his wealth and reputation restored and gets to "live like there is no tomorrow." It's not really clear what exactly Olgierd's original wishes were but he gets his wealth back, marries Iris, and gets the "heart of stone" immortality from his "live like no tomorrow" wish. The heart of stone is Gaunter's little, uh, prank: Olgierd can't die and he increasingly loses interest in things that once gave him pleasure, including his wife Iris and abandons her. He seeks ever more-increasing thrills and danger.

The second set of three wishes is kind of confusing, yeah. But I guess it works narratively to give Geralt stuff to do exploring Olgierd's story. It also sets the terms for ending the contract with Gaunter: Olgierd gets three wishes and can "benefit" from them for an amount of time until the contract is ended by a proxy fulfilling three wishes. Olgierd probably thought he was being clever by negotiating this contract but lol you're making a deal with the literal Devil, he's going to get you eventually!

Remember that Gaunter is in it for the game: all he cares about is loving with mortals, seeing them suffer and get owned by twisting their contracts.

I think Gaunter grants three wishes in exchange for a soul. Olgierd got the first set from sacrificing his Brother, and I'd assume the second set Gaunter made it clear he would only accept Olgierd's soul for it, but only when all three wishes are fulfilled. Also I don't know if using a Proxy was mandatory, I'm pretty sure Gaunter just Geralt to do it because he thought it was funnier that way.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This guy teaching curse words to the trolls lol. "Repeat after me 'Fuc-kng oval office"

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Wiltsghost posted:

This guy teaching curse words to the trolls lol. "Repeat after me 'Fuc-kng oval office"

Thaler rules that's a great bit.

Cucksock shoeses!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everyone likes the swearing trolls and boats guard boats but my favourite trolls are the Guardians of Trolly Mountain.

*Troll* Mountain.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Thaler rules that's a great bit.

Cucksock shoeses!

Another reason Geralt would never side with Djikstra. Witchyman Sigi join, Tala no sockcuck shoeses make! Pogg gotnot, Ogg gotnot, Rogg gotnot... Tala backcome must!

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 24, 2023

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think Gaunter grants three wishes in exchange for a soul. Olgierd got the first set from sacrificing his Brother, and I'd assume the second set Gaunter made it clear he would only accept Olgierd's soul for it, but only when all three wishes are fulfilled. Also I don't know if using a Proxy was mandatory, I'm pretty sure Gaunter just Geralt to do it because he thought it was funnier that way.

The proxy definitely seems mandatory, since Olgierd brings it up the first time they're all together. Gaunter says he's there to fulfill his wishes, and Olgierd starts to say "Well you know you must use..." and then Gaunter cuts him off to introduce Geralt.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
It would fit with Olgierd's character if he thought he'd outwitted Gaunter by negotiating three wishes AND you don't actually get to collect on my soul until a proxy grants me three more tasks/wishes and we're standing on the moon. Lol :smug:

Olgierd is arrogant, Gaunter preyed on Olgierd's arrogance. Gaunter loves tormenting mortals, it's a game to him. Letting Olgierd think he'd outsmarted both an interdimensional demi-god and Fate is just part of the fun!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing I really like about that final choice is that the question is do you think an awful person can redeem himself, and do you believe he should be given the chance to do so. So many games just have "good choice or bad choice" (I've been playing through DAO for the first time and while it's a great game it is terrible at murky moral choices), but in HoS it can be argued that either one of those is the moral choice.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Anyone who prefers to serve the literal devil over a human being (no matter how big an rear end in a top hat) is a villain in my book, sorry folks.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

SirSamVimes posted:

The thing I really like about that final choice is that the question is do you think an awful person can redeem himself, and do you believe he should be given the chance to do so. So many games just have "good choice or bad choice" (I've been playing through DAO for the first time and while it's a great game it is terrible at murky moral choices), but in HoS it can be argued that either one of those is the moral choice.

That's it for me too. Also I feel like the whole contract operates on more fairy-tale like level, like it does in most stories of this type, so it's not supposed to make the most logical sense. There's this one Polish legend Pan Twardowski, where the devil outwits Twardowski and takes his soul but they pass by the moon en route to hell (it's on the way apparently, I dunno), Twardowski starts to pray, the devil lets him go and Twardowski is stuck on the moon ever since then (that's one version of this legend anyhow). I feel like the moon in the game was a reference to that.

Also, the moon revelation at the end is pretty drat cool and I think that's enough

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Gaunter O'Dimm may be evil Incarnate, but he is also entertaining and charismatic so I will side with him against Olgierd whiny rear end any day .

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

macabresca posted:

Also, the moon revelation at the end is pretty drat cool and I think that's enough

You can really imagine O'Dimm cackling while emptying a sack of dirt onto the temple floor just so he can dramatically sweep it away later.

I'm siding with O'Dimm in this playthrough just because Geralt probably wouldn't give enough of a gently caress to risk his life just to save some rear end in a top hat who might have the capacity to not be an rear end in a top hat.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

macabresca posted:

That's it for me too. Also I feel like the whole contract operates on more fairy-tale like level, like it does in most stories of this type, so it's not supposed to make the most logical sense. There's this one Polish legend Pan Twardowski, where the devil outwits Twardowski and takes his soul but they pass by the moon en route to hell (it's on the way apparently, I dunno), Twardowski starts to pray, the devil lets him go and Twardowski is stuck on the moon ever since then (that's one version of this legend anyhow). I feel like the moon in the game was a reference to that.

It also kind of related to Twardowski's contract - his soul would only be taken if he was in Rome, which he never intended to visit. He does visit a tavern named Rome instead though.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

HelixFox posted:

You can really imagine O'Dimm cackling while emptying a sack of dirt onto the temple floor just so he can dramatically sweep it away later.

I'm siding with O'Dimm in this playthrough just because Geralt probably wouldn't give enough of a gently caress to risk his life just to save some rear end in a top hat who might have the capacity to not be an rear end in a top hat.

Not just his life but his soul. It seems like O'Dimm, despite being described as "evil incarnate" isn't much worse than some of the lovely people you come across in this game. He seemingly targets only rich arseholes and doesn't take souls without a contract. There is some indiscriminatel killing but it doesn't seem malicious, just a general callousness for human life which is not really different from the way we might eliminate people pests like rodents.

The only "innocent" dude is the professor who took Olgired's coin for research but we don't get the whole scoop on what happens. So really the choice for Geralt is whether he risks potential eternal damnation for a guy who was kind of already a poo poo bag in life but turned out even worse after getting cursed.

Granted Geralt has no way of knowing if O'Dimm will will release him upon the collection of the debt but it there is no evidence of malfeasance on O'Dimm's behalf in his dealings with Geralt and so long as you don't enter some silly contract with him and ensure you don't annoy him, it seems like he is fairly benign to the average guy on the street.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hobo Clown posted:

By the way I'm spoiling for the benefit of anyone still new to the game and wasn't sure of the rules. I've beaten this before and know the endings. Just wondering which reward is more useful/interesting on future playthroughs.

Roach will be fully dressed in the fanciest finery the minute I get to Toussaint so the haunted saddle would be going into storage until NG+

tbh if you want to make the purely game mechanic related choice its just the cash or the horse. otherwise the actual "correct" choice is to let O'Dimm take Olgierd and accept nothing in return. Geralt only temporally defeats O'Dimm, and makes an enemy doing so. Best course of action is to fulfill his end of the bargain and not create another attachment to O'dimm that could be exploited later.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

MikeC posted:

Not just his life but his soul. It seems like O'Dimm, despite being described as "evil incarnate" isn't much worse than some of the lovely people you come across in this game. He seemingly targets only rich arseholes and doesn't take souls without a contract. There is some indiscriminatel killing but it doesn't seem malicious, just a general callousness for human life which is not really different from the way we might eliminate people pests like rodents.

The only "innocent" dude is the professor who took Olgired's coin for research but we don't get the whole scoop on what happens. So really the choice for Geralt is whether he risks potential eternal damnation for a guy who was kind of already a poo poo bag in life but turned out even worse after getting cursed.

Granted Geralt has no way of knowing if O'Dimm will will release him upon the collection of the debt but it there is no evidence of malfeasance on O'Dimm's behalf in his dealings with Geralt and so long as you don't enter some silly contract with him and ensure you don't annoy him, it seems like he is fairly benign to the average guy on the street.

I mean he shoved a spoon into that guys eye/brain because he was annoying him

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

admataY posted:

Gaunter O'Dimm may be evil Incarnate, but he is also entertaining and charismatic so I will side with him against Olgierd whiny rear end any day .

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Anyone who prefers to serve the literal devil over a human being (no matter how big an rear end in a top hat) is a villain in my book, sorry folks.

Honestly, while Gaunter O'Dimm has parallels to the devil, it's overselling it to say that's what he literally is. Witcher borrows heavily from fairy and folktales, but it doesn't follow them verbatim. He's a bad guy and does deals with prices that may be too high, but y'know, so do Witchers. That's what the Law of Surprise is all about. You gotta judge things by their own merits.

Although part of why I'm so much harsher on Olgierd may be because he is the guy directly responsible for the whole setup of Hearts of Stone, which is pretty bullshit and contrived even if the later parts and ending work much better. O'Dimm even presents himself coming into the story as just a guy doing a job, and even though later on in the story he is revealed to be similarly sadistic to Olgierd and his own kind of unspeakable horror, he still has a lower killcount by the end than Olgierd.

And also shoving him into another dimension doesn't seem like it solves anything long-term.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Replaying this game has me wondering how the developers could have 500 people spending 4 years developing their followup to this game, that doesn't even come close to being as good. Not even counting Witcher's solid source material for inspired writing, and the significant improvements made to Cyberpunk 2077, and the improvements added to this next gen upgrade. This isn't supposed to happen until a developer has milked a long running franchise and is doing a cash crab sequel that they relegate to a B team to develop.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

And also shoving him into another dimension doesn't seem like it solves anything long-term.

That's my issue, it does not seem like he is going to be gone for long, if at all. So why make an enemy of this unspeakble horror who preys upon the worst mankind has to offer

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 24, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

But W1 and 2 are also good games, they didn't create W3 accidentally and then show their true faces with Cyberpunk, they just made a series of bad choices and didn't realize how difficult making that sort of open world game is.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Pretty sure the scope and intentions of Cyberpunk changed constantly during development, which resulted in large chunks of hard work that took a lot of people a lot of time to make being wadded up and thrown in the garbage without a second thought. People think game dev is a steady line heading towards completion, but the reality is that it often goes up, down, and sideways, even occasionally looping back on itself (aka, development gets restart from scratch). I would honestly bet Cyberpunk had at least one from-zero restart somewhere in its dev timeline. Unfortunately, Capitalism is a harsh mistress, and "when it's ready" is very rarely an option for most companies. At a certain point, you either run out of money, or your money hungry investors threaten to shut you down if you don't release something to recoup your costs. Thus, Cyberpunk 2077.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean he shoved a spoon into that guys eye/brain because he was annoying him

Just like how you would reduce a mosquito into a thin blood paste if you were annoyed by it buzzing around your head.

ChocNitty posted:

Replaying this game has me wondering how the developers could have 500 people spending 4 years developing their followup to this game, that doesn't even come close to being as good. Not even counting Witcher's solid source material for inspired writing, and the significant improvements made to Cyberpunk 2077, and the improvements added to this next gen upgrade. This isn't supposed to happen until a developer has milked a long running franchise and is doing a cash crab sequel that they relegate to a B team to develop.

I personally think CP2077 is better written as a game than most of W3 by a significant margin, especially with the endings. Witcher 3 had the intersting grey morality issues as a backdrop to the main quest. CP2077 had that as the main course. The issues were entirely technical and we have a good idea why at this stage (trying to shoehorn last gen consoles).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly, while Gaunter O'Dimm has parallels to the devil, it's overselling it to say that's what he literally is.

He may not be the devil but he's definately a devil.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 24, 2023

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, managerial fuckups.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

moving on

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 24, 2023

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
we're cool now

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 24, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Moving on

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 24, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress off and talk about something else.

No Levels got updated for Next Gen.
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3605

I've been waiting for this one before I get back into the groove of things. It's a must have for me.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 24, 2023

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I decided not to bother with Hearts of Stone this play through. Geralt has dealt with enough diaper wearing thugs with grilled chicken sandwhiches to have to deal with a room full of assholes and a lady who keeps calling him puss peepers. It was right before the battle with Eriden, too, so after dealing with annoying assholes who couldn’t just tell the Witcher answering a contract posting where their boss is, I said gently caress it and left. They can just deal with the problem on their own!

Also adding that I can’t be the only one who goes out of their way to antagonize any guards/soldiers? I like to see how many of them I can take on at once. One time I had 20-30 redanian guards bottlenecked on a bridge. I kept torching them with igni and then attacking/dodge/attacking. I got about half of them down before they mobbed me. Witch Hunters always die on sight. Good times.

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 24, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

O'Dimm IMO is exactly what he says on the tin. He's Master Mirror. He isn't biblical evil, he's a twisted mirror who reflects the worst in his victims and brings it to the fore. Olgierd starts as an aristocratic thug; O'Dimm exaggerates him into a vicious self pitying rear end in a top hat who destroys everything around him.

My favourite hint at this is that, if Geralt banishes him, as he falls into the abyss his face starts changing. He starts to look more angular, his eyes go yellow and catlike (?), His skin looks pale with dark veins. He's mirroring Geralt, but it's too late.

E: dude just sells mirrors :shrug:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oops