Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's not like Kiyomiya has no character and a flat affect or anything. He's a prodigy who hit an upper limit, got frustrated by it, and had to turn to greater violence to break through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Big news, just look at the number of promotions being represented

quote:

Represented will be:

2AW

666 Pro-Wrestling

All Japan Pro-Wrestling

Big Japan Pro-Wrestling

CMLL

DDT Pro-Wrestling

DRADITION

DRAGON GATE

Ganbare☆Pro-Wrestling

GLEAT

Just Tap Out

Kyushu Pro-Wrestling

Michinoku Pro-Wrestling

New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Osaka Pro-Wrestling

PANCRASE MISSION

Pro-Wrestling BASARA

Pro-Wrestling FREEDOMS

Pro-Wrestling NOAH

Pro-Wrestling SECRET BASE

Pro-Wrestling ZERO1

Ryuukyuu Dragon Pro-Wrestling

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
It'd be hilarious if the AJPW/DDT/DG representatives were all Naruki Doi.

SG Bamboo posted:

Ryuukyuu Dragon Pro-Wrestling
At last, New Japan fans can bask in the glory of Gurukun Mask.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Bonk posted:

At last, New Japan fans can bask in the glory of Gurukun Mask.

They'd better book Hibiscus Mii

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A great secondary part of the Kaito/Okada angle is that adds way more intrigue to the Shingo/Okada title match. Before I thought it was a lock Okada would retain but the angle and the schedule makes me think they may just have Shingo win.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Will the NJPW x NOAH WK night 3 be put up on world for subscribers at any point?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kaveman posted:

Will the NJPW x NOAH WK night 3 be put up on world for subscribers at any point?

Yeah in a week

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

El Generico posted:

I'm definitely not that level of pure wrestling fan, sadly. I need some kind of character traits to grasp onto.

Anyone telling you NOAH doesn't have characters is lying to you. It's not New Generation WWF with binmen and repomen and hitmen but we're not talking about a bunch of bland entities just pretend fighting either.

It's puroresu, the characters sometimes might be a little subtler but you watch one Kenoh match and you understand that his character is he's an angry pissbaby with a chip on his shoulder bigger than he is. Katsuhiko Nakajima is a different kind of angry, he's vicious and cocky. Kaito Kiyomiya is the prodigy, youngest GHC HW champ ever. Go Shiozaki is the spirit of NOAH embodied, a man who's senpai was Kobashi but has grown into Misawa, the heart of the promotion.

Almost everyone is in a unit. Kongo are kind of like early LIJ in the sense that they are heels but are very popular with a large segment of the crowd. And they are even like early LIJ in that members frequently are at ringside supporting their buds.

Sugiuragun are a Takashi Sugiura's old buddies, many of who are legit shooters.

Honestly, it's maybe a little less colourful than New Japan but it's barely noticeable.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Actually struggling to think of anyone in Noah above the rookie level who is Just A Wrestler. A couple of the juniors maybe?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Actually struggling to think of anyone in Noah above the rookie level who is Just A Wrestler. A couple of the juniors maybe?
Yeah, I think you could throw the accusation at Hajime Ohara. I don't really know what his character is besides "guy in Kongo"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

He used to want to be Misawa and now he wants to be Keiji Muto.

He’s really good. He’s NOAH’s youngest ever champion, he won the belt at 22.

last i saw of him outside of one mutoh match which i realize you can't judge by were a handful of stuff during his first reign. thought the kid while clearly talented was kinda boring compared to say nakajima, shiozaki or kenoh, and kinda reminded me of suzuki's statement contrasting moxley to competent boring grey blobs.

obv presence and charisma often comes a bit later for a lot of people and i had no clue he had this amount of fire in him

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Thauros posted:

last i saw of him outside of one mutoh match which i realize you can't judge by were a handful of stuff during his first reign. thought the kid while clearly talented was kinda boring compared to say nakajima, shiozaki or kenoh, and kinda reminded me of suzuki's statement contrasting moxley to competent boring grey blobs.

obv presence and charisma often comes a bit later for a lot of people and i had no clue he had this amount of fire in him

This is a fair criticism, they put the belt on him a little before he was fully ready, but unlike some previous examples they really stuck with it rather than cancelling the reign (the benefit of business already being in the loo since the Suzukigun invasion ended) & he grew into the role so that by the time that he had his second defence with Kenoh & the Go Shiozaki match I felt it all clicked with him

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
NOAH wrestlers have more flair than character and the majority don't have near the character that NJPW wrestlers do. You have to get pretty far down the card to find NJPW wrestlers who don't have a bunch of character stuff going on. edit: actually this is probably not true at all

It's telling that most of the NOAH wrestlers had next to no vocal support in either of the Yokohama shows. If people are asking "Is this a cheering show?" regularly during a cheering show, the emotional hooks aren't in.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

there are a couple njpw characters you can say their gimmick is just a wrestler most notably Aron henare

it’s getting impossible to stay up for these shows. watched everything but the kopw just cannot deal with this title sometimes

The strong ep was pretty good imo lol @ rock getting booed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

baka fwocka fwame posted:

there are a couple njpw characters you can say their gimmick is just a wrestler most notably Aron henare

it’s getting impossible to stay up for these shows. watched everything but the kopw just cannot deal with this title sometimes

The strong ep was pretty good imo lol @ rock getting booed

I realised I had gotten old when I was easier to wake up early to watch sports than it was to stay up all night

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

With just over a day to go (January 24th, midnight Eastern), I'm making a final push for any last Top Ten lists for the Punch Sport Pagoda Top Ten Favorite Active Wrestlers of 2022 Thread. If you haven't already submitted a Top Ten, please do!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I don't expect anyone has that much free wrestling time these days with all the dang supershows going on, but check out this 30-year-old Dome show if you have the time. It's a lot of fun with some wild matchups!

1. El Samurai & J J JACKS (Akira Nogami & Takayuki Iizuka) vs. Koki Kitahara, Masao Orihara & Nobukazu Hirai

2. Dustin Rhodes & Scott Norton vs. Masa Saito & Shinya Hashimoto

3. Sting vs. Hiroshi Hase

4. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Takashi Ishikawa

5. Great Muta (c) vs. Masahiro Chono (c) (IWGP Heavyweight Title / NWA World Heavyweight Title Match)

6. Anti-Players Association (Akitoshi Saito, Masashi Aoyagi, Shiro Koshinaka & The Great Kabuki) vs. Raging Staff (Hiro Saito, Norio Honaga, Super Strong Machine & Tatsutoshi Goto)

7. Ron Simmons vs. Tony Halme

8. Ultimo Dragon (c) vs. Jushin Thunder Liger (IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match)

9. The Hell Raisers (Hawk Warrior & Power Warrior) (c) vs. The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner) (IWGP Tag Team Title Match)

10. Genichiro Tenryu vs. Riki Choshu

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Watching this Road to the New Beginning show mainly to see if Kiyomiya shows up to jump Okada

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm watching it to see taka

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
this has been a pretty fun tag so far

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The tmdk v chaos match was very good

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fujita owns

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol ELP

come to Baka Gaijin papi

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
feels a little like Taichi-gun

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

fez_machine posted:

feels a little like Taichi-gun

No leaders, no bosses, Just Four Guys

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lmao the English commentary's NJPW-bias

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I was gonna say, Charlton's going in on hard on Kiyomiya and it's kinda jarring

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SANADA you loser

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Could someone give me a quick cliff's notes of the stable situation now that Suzuki-Gun broke up? They were my favorite stable by a country mile, but it seems like maybe this could be a good thing for the various members? Or at least ZSJ.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Could someone give me a quick cliff's notes of the stable situation now that Suzuki-Gun broke up? They were my favorite stable by a country mile, but it seems like maybe this could be a good thing for the various members? Or at least ZSJ.

Suzuki-gun broke up so that Suzuki could freshen up his act as a solo freelancer and New Japan could spotlight ZSJ more as the head of his own faction.

ZSJ joined pre-existing faction "The Mighty Don't Kneel" which is made up of Commonwealth wrestlers except focusing on Australians rather than the U.K. unlike United Empire. TMDK has a long history being founded in 2010 and primarily revolving around the tag team of Shane Haste and Nick Miller. ZSJ has essentially taken it over and recruited firey young lion Kosei Fujita (presumably as a result of Bushiroad deciding to tinker with the Young Lion system and give them more character earlier).

Everyone else essentially reformed Suzuki-Gun as a loosely aligned faction managed by Taka Michinoku that people have been calling Just Four Guys after Taka ended the big intro with that line. There's a logo for it but they weren't introduced under that name last night, instead being introduced individually. (As far as I can recall, I might have missed it. I was watching the Baka Gaijin 2 show simultaneously)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Didn't Despy and Suzuki also have a brief team up with Narita? Did anything come of that? Despy's one of the ones I am most interested in.

Hopefully this can be taken as a sign of trust/a coming push for Zack. Like how they gave Ospreay his own stable.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Didn't Despy and Suzuki also have a brief team up with Narita? Did anything come of that? Despy's one of the ones I am most interested in.

Hopefully this can be taken as a sign of trust/a coming push for Zack. Like how they gave Ospreay his own stable.

Oh yeah, nothing's come of that so far. Despy didn't turn up on the latest show. So right now he's unaligned/aligned with Suzuki?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just 4 Guys is a real faction and has a logo.

Narita/Suzuki/Desperado are challenging The House for the six man titles (or at least trying to, The House are saying the belts are retired because nobody was good enough to beat them). They’re teaming with Hontai guys in the Road to shows so aren’t their own thing yet

https://twitter.com/k_shibata2022/status/1617905035635195905?s=46&t=CdMBXZhBbK2yBA-na9VgRw

Article is the one announcing he was leaving NJPW the first time…

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 24, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Say what you will about Big Mouth Loud as a business (GLEAT-esque as far as bringing in cool dudes to face their dudes & then having their dudes lose every time), it truly is an all-timer promotion name & logo.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Just 4 Guys is a real faction and has a logo.

Just 4 Guys is real, they're strong, and they're my friends.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

fez_machine posted:

lmao the English commentary's NJPW-bias

They’re marks and I don’t respect it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fez_machine posted:

ZSJ joined pre-existing faction "The Mighty Don't Kneel" which is made up of Commonwealth wrestlers except focusing on Australians rather than the U.K. unlike United Empire. TMDK has a long history being founded in 2010 and primarily revolving around the tag team of Shane Haste and Nick Miller. ZSJ has essentially taken it over and recruited firey young lion Kosei Fujita (presumably as a result of Bushiroad deciding to tinker with the Young Lion system and give them more character earlier).

Also worth saying TMDK also includes JONAH who got a big push as a monster to fight Okada last year. He's back in WWE now as Bronson Reed but he'll presumably be back with the stable if/when Vince fires him again. And TMDK also has Bad Dude Tito who's kinda like a modern Dr. Death and is affectionately known to many as Big Teets

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
House of Torture placing 9th on the ShuPro best unit fan vote makes me wonder where we've gone wrong as a society.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Stall_19 posted:

House of Torture placing 9th on the ShuPro best unit fan vote makes me wonder where we've gone wrong as a society.

It's probably more appropriate for the general puro thread but stardom crushed the womens wrestling competition but even in general they did very well with cosmic angels finishing first in best unit beating out UE and oedo tai beating lij to 3rd

Actually in the favourite wrestler category stardom had more wrestlers than even njpw in the top 10 with 5. Njpw had 4 with mutoh taking the last spot.

Very good outing for stardom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

Actually you have to add their points to the Bullet Club points so we can see that The House are in fact more popular than LIJ