Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Optimal best picture winners are films people will accuse you of making up if you mention them the next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mythic Quest gets a solid "ok" from me as a former games industry guy

The part of it that seemed unusual to me is that Rob McElhenny's character seems to be getting set up as a buffoon villain archetype who is always wrong, but in the very first episode I was unironically taking his side (devs cannot just add features to games on their own without consulting product!) and he's actually right more often than he's wrong

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Bar Crow posted:

Optimal best picture winners are films people will accuse you of making up if you mention them the next year.

we all remember CODA don't we folks?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anyone seen that league of legends esports show? i've heard it's good but i'm apprehensive about watching a league of legends esports show

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

we all remember CODA don't we folks?

Someone came into the library looking for that yesterday. It was never released on DVD / Blu-Ray and I had no memory of it even existing.

*edit* there are blu-ray rips out there so maybe it does exist? I dunno, no one had it and I couldn't find it listed for sale on Amazon or anything.

Substandard has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Jan 24, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Tar looked boring

it is but if you finish it it's a good movie still

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

I don't think I've ever watched a film that spent more time trying to convey an underlying social message despite it evidently having no idea of what that message is supposed to be.

Rich people are bad but poor people are bad too. The patriarchy is bad but so is this matriarchy we just made up for this movie. Communism can't work because power is corrupting but we spent the first 90 minutes complaining about capitalism. Living in communal agrarian society is bad but so is living in modern society.

Being superficial is bad, I guess?? That's just about the only clear message and is substantially undercut by the ostensible protagonists being hot and among the least morally abhorrent people in the movie (even though they are still awful shitheads).

A lot of mushbrained equivocating that ultimately says nothing. The second act was pretty funny at times but it doesn't justify the rest of the film.

this is a good write up of how Triangle of Sadness is basically the The Outer Worlds of movies, and it’s fitting that they were both complete garbage that the dumbest people in the world drooled over and nominated for literal awards

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

drat horror queefs posted:

Which would be fine if it was a comedy, but it

1. Isn't particularly humorous except for the barfing scene, and,
2. Spends sooo much dead air pantomiming a morality play without any clear message (aside from unchecked power leads to inequality, wow what insight) that everything else is lost in the signal-noise ratio

I can’t quote all your posts on my phone but you were absolutely correct on all accounts

I had watched it as a double feature with glass onion first, and rians extremely online lib take movie was way way more hard hitting and had something to say than triangle. I had expected the opposite

very disappointing movie esp because anonymous hyped it up a lot and I trust them to tell me what movie is good and bad

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Bar Crow posted:

This is why it has to be women talking

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

I had watched it as a double feature with glass onion first, and rians extremely online lib take movie was way more hard hitting than triangle. I had expected the opposite

100%

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

mythic quest is ok, but its very hit or miss with its satire. sometimes itll feel really on point about certain aspects of online gamer culture, and other times youll think its making fun of nfts and the metaverse and you get to the end of the ep and realize "oh no. rob is a dumbass"

also reminds me of Last Man on Earth where the one off eps are better than the actual show. never a good idea to let the audience know that, actually, you could be watching something better

loquacius posted:

Mythic Quest gets a solid "ok" from me as a former games industry guy

The part of it that seemed unusual to me is that Rob McElhenny's character seems to be getting set up as a buffoon villain archetype who is always wrong, but in the very first episode I was unironically taking his side (devs cannot just add features to games on their own without consulting product!) and he's actually right more often than he's wrong

yeah, its weird. his character is kind of a pastiche of like a Chris Metzen style rockstar dev and a Molyneux-esque messianic narcissist

in reality, Metzen is just kind of a dumb guy who was charismatic enough to turn doodling muscly orcs and space marines into a massive career, his coolness does not extend beyond the Blizzcon convention grounds, and every big ideas "genius" game developer is completely full of poo poo and never delivers on anything they promise

this should be a perfect character for Rob. instead it feels like he wanted to stay far away from just playing Mac again, and ended up making Ian a cool ripped successful genius whose only flaw is not knowing when to let other people have a say, which he overcomes by the second season

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Craftsman on HBO Max is a reality show where a very old man who is good at woodworking shows you some of the cool stuff he makes

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The Craftsman on HBO Max is a reality show where a very old man who is good at woodworking shows you some of the cool stuff he makes

Sounds like a good chill out show. I really enjoyed Painting with John so this sounds right up my alley.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

very disappointing movie esp because anonymous hyped it up a lot and I trust them to tell me what movie is good and bad

I said don't miss seeing it in theaters if you post here, it's very Cspam, won't be as good at home or on a computer, and the ending undoes its message, and I gave it a 7/10... iirc

but yah I hyped it because otherwise no one would see it, it would be a "coda" like that and I wanted someone to talk to about it

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

if you want some chill funny feel good tv and havent watched Joe Pera Talks With You yet that should be #1 on your list

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh this sounds perfect

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

too bad about decision to leave and RRR, I heard Close was real real good and EO a good watch at least

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I've only watched two or three episodes but the premise is usually - here's an old thing, it's falling apart, the Craftsman shows you why it's falling apart and how he will remake it so that it doesn't fall apart again in the future. There will probably be a talking head at some point where he talks about a painful part of his life and how pouring himself into his craft helped him overcome it and you will cry a single tear thinking about how you too will be an old man trying his best someday.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The oscars are an industry award like if an exclusive American dental association awarded for 'best root canal' and always selected from its own memebers... and somehow the world recognized it as valid.

it's almost completely meaningless who is nominated, wins, loses but they have about a century of american media saying it's the most important award show so it still is even tho you openly have to bribe votes to win

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Jan 24, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it is fun to gamble on, thoguh

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

The oscars are an industry award like if an exclusive American dental association awarded for 'best root canal' and always selected from its own memebers... and somehow the world recognized it as valid.

it's almost completely meaningless who is nominated, wins, loses but they have about a century of american media saying it's the most important award show so it still is even tho you openly have to bribe votes to win

actually it's important because Ernest Borgnine won one, and all actors dream of becoming like him

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Ernest Borgnine's Oscar Win is where the phrase "dressed to the 'Nines" comes from

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

if you want some chill funny feel good tv and havent watched Joe Pera Talks With You yet that should be #1 on your list

truly good show, and I am still bummed it was canceled

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
It does suck but at least the last episode works very well as a Series Finale

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I thought banshees was mediocre so it’s gonna win.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

sonatinas posted:

I thought banshees was mediocre so it’s gonna win.

how does it compare to In Bruges

I actually liked In Bruges a lot (I even rewatched it while literally being in Bruges). but McDonough is kinda mixed bag for me. he definitely has a style and talent. but I didn’t really like seven psychopaths.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

for a minute I would've put money on Farrell for best actor because everyone seemed rightfully embarrassed by The Whale but i think the pendulum has swung back to "yeah but we like the Brendan Fraser comeback arc"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xaris posted:

I actually liked In Bruges a lot (I even rewatched it while literally being in Bruges). but McDonough is kinda mixed bag for me. I didn’t really like seven psychopaths

Better imo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

I actually liked In Bruges a lot (I even rewatched it while literally being in Bruges). but McDonough is kinda mixed bag for me. I didn’t really like seven psychopaths

it's def his best since In Bruges. maybe his best overall but kinda neck and neck for me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's def his best since In Bruges. maybe his best overall but kinda neck and neck for me.

ok good to hear. I’ll check it out if it’s on filez

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Discworld book I'm currently reading, Moving Pictures, is a take on early-Hollywood-type stories wherein the "spirit of Hollywood" is a literal evil spirit which is unleashed at the beginning of the book and begins possessing people so that they all move to "Holy Wood," a filmmaking company town, convinced that being in five-minute silent film reels is the most important undertaking imaginable, and that it's worth waiting around for months for a chance to audition for them because their life could have no meaning otherwise. This is treated exactly the same as any other demonic possession might be, when it is found out.

Pratchett does this kind of thing with modern concepts sometimes -- the premise for one of the City Watch books is that a fictionalized Leonardo da Vinci has invented a gun, and it has fallen into the wrong hands; the gun is treated exactly the same as an evil cursed sword might be in another more typical fantasy book. I can appreciate it a lot as a way to do relevant social commentary in a fantasy setting.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

for a minute I would've put money on Farrell for best actor because everyone seemed rightfully embarrassed by The Whale but i think the pendulum has swung back to "yeah but we like the Brendan Fraser comeback arc"

i think they're both probably behind austin butler in the odds

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It can't be understated how great of a writer Pratchett was

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i say swears online posted:

i think they're both probably behind austin butler in the odds

vegas odds i just glanced at go Fraser > Farrell > Butler. that said Butler could pay out. i don't see it tho.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

vegas odds i just glanced at go Fraser > Farrell > Butler. that said Butler could pay out. i don't see it tho.

drat i woulda guessed the opposite order

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Antonymous posted:

Those bribes we're dope tho, gonna plug Marvelous Mrs Maisel for the rest of my life. My loyalty is valuable yes buy me a tank of gas in a whimsical way and I will promote your show for years..

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ernest Borgnine's Oscar Win is where the phrase "dressed to the 'Nines" comes from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_nines

I don't think so, Tim.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i say swears online posted:

anyone seen that league of legends esports show? i've heard it's good but i'm apprehensive about watching a league of legends esports show
it's good. American Vandal was better, but that show was great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the phrase "the whole nine yards" comes from everyone being impressed by Ernest Borgnine's yards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
um it actually comes from that movie with Bruce Willis and Chandler of the friends