Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Debating Second Sealing Jean or not. Framme is very meh for me and he’s turning out better. But on the other hand, I’ll get prepromote healers later to replace Framme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Syrnn posted:

Everyone is talking about how fast their crew rotates with new characters, or that the starting Firenese crew sucks, when should I start feeling comfortable using stat boosters on people I won't just abandon for later joins with better bases?

I started using them around chapter 9 or 10 or so, when I had a better idea of who I wanted to invest some extra in. I gave a few to Alear but he probably didn't need them.

Also, the Firenese crew doesn't strictly suck. Etie and Boucheron are kinda meh as far as stats and growths, but everyone else at least has potential, and both Chloe and Louis have turned out to be absolutely awesome units for me. If they're working out for you they might just keep doing that if you don't feel like switching them out.

Really the only stat booster I'd want to think extra hard about is Boots, since that's so impactful and you don't get many.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Giving everyone on your team Corrins skill that auto heals everyone around you for 5 hp and gives support is kinda stupid, you can heal up your team just from chilling and it costs only 250sp.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Etie, Chloe, and Louis are all on my team at Ch 16 and some of my top performers all around. I tried to use Alfred and Celine for a while but they both got hugely screwed in key stats, Celine in particular had something like 11 magic by level 18 and I decided to just call it quits and swap her out permanently for Citrinne.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sydin posted:

Etie, Chloe, and Louis are all on my team at Ch 16 and some of my top performers all around. I tried to use Alfred and Celine for a while but they both got hugely screwed in key stats, Celine in particular had something like 11 magic by level 18 and I decided to just call it quits and swap her out permanently for Citrinne.

Yeah I had a similar problem with Alfred and Celine. They just refused to gain offensive stats, even after a promotion, and I had to just bench them at that point.

Meanwhile Citrinne for some reason only wants to gain HP, Mag, and Res, and while I'd love her to get some Spd she's still strong as hell.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Diamants stat total are 97 at level 5 promoted, he promoted at level 12 or 13 base too. Really not great. I'll also have to bench Louis since his res is getting too low. Kagetsu strangely is the best general, he has only 2 def less than Louis and about 25 stats more total. Chloe has been getting str screwed but is salvageable with forges, she's very good otherwise.
Timerra also becomes nigh unuseable once you take Ike off her.

My top performers:
Yunaka, zappy
Panette
Celine
Jade (I put some work into her but she's basically 7 levels higher than Kagetsu and has less stats)
Chloe
Alcryst
Ivy

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Stat totals are iffy at best at telling a full picture since there’s clearly main and second string stats. Getting any of Str/Mag, Spd or Def feels like a good level up, whereas a level containing all of HP, Dex, Res and Luck feels barely a step up from an empty level.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
speak for yourself, I'll take hp and res any day

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Panette & Ivy B was the best comedy support in the game so far. Keep it up Engage, you can do it. Tbh almost every support with Ivy is really good.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I was going to bench Ivy because I felt like I was going to end up with too many tome users but I guess I should swap her out with Celine?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

Panette & Ivy B was the best comedy support in the game so far. Keep it up Engage, you can do it. Tbh almost every support with Ivy is really good.

I was just coming here to post about them! I love their support. Almost every other Ivy support is one of her retainers or other royals, so they're kind of obligatory interactions, but for Panette there's no link like that, Ivy just saw this weird girl and thought, 'yeah I vibe with her, let's be friends.' I love it.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Syrnn posted:

Everyone is talking about how fast their crew rotates with new characters, or that the starting Firenese crew sucks, when should I start feeling comfortable using stat boosters on people I won't just abandon for later joins with better bases?

There are only like 4 characters who join after Ch 16, which also seems around the point where everyone should be promoted if you're going to 20, so that's probably around the time you should have a solid idea who your core ~12 are gonna be. I ended up burning all my stat boosters on 17 because that map utterly brutalized me the first time around.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just noticed there's a fast travel option on the world map... oops

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I do feel like Alfred and his retainers are kinda meh. Alcryst and Diamant's retainer basically outshine them from the get go, Boucheron gets saved by being the only natural Axe user since I reclassed Anna.

I'm tempted to promote Alear already cause 3 BLD and 2 STR on top of a lot of stats are tempting but it feels wrong to promote the lord so early lol. Having another fist user would be cool...

And I guess I'll forge a dagger for Yunaka since her damage is starting to fall off a bit only 2 chapters in.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Fists feel pretty wasted on Alear tbh. They operate off the average of mag and str and Alear's is so low that she's always going to be doing half the damage she would with a sword.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My Alear has turned out to be an utter combat monster so I use fists on him when I want him to soften up enemies for someone else to get the kill EXP. If I have him use a sword he's strong enough to one round almost anything short of a boss up through chapter 15.

Other characters who have turned out to be absolute shitwreckers for me:
- Chloé
- Anna (seriously, she's a delete button on a horse when she has a forged Levin Sword)
- Framme (I fed her one energy drop and promoted her and now she has fists of steel)
- Citrinne

That's in addition to the characters who showed up already strong as hell, like Diamant and Kagetsu.

Sadly my man Louis's kind of falling off a bit. He hasn't gained much bulk in the last few levels and mages are becoming more common and more of a problem.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 24, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Panette and Pandreo's supports kinda blew me away with how sincere they were.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Fists feel pretty wasted on Alear tbh. They operate off the average of mag and str and Alear's is so low that she's always going to be doing half the damage she would with a sword.

It's more for the extra break option on mages so other units can safely kill them. As Harrow said.

Unless promoting Diamant or Alcryst now provides a lot of benefits, giving the main lord more survival (since he gets +2/3 Def and Res and 3 BLD) and more move seems nice.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Got a rare doodah right here

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I mostly use fists when I need to have Alear EP a group that has some lances. I dunno why they didn't just give Alear workable numbers in both offenses like basically every other avatar so they could actually use them decently.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Terper posted:

Got a rare doodah right here

I guess they heard that I wanted something a bit meatier

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Harrow posted:

Meanwhile Citrinne for some reason only wants to gain HP, Mag, and Res, and while I'd love her to get some Spd she's still strong as hell.

My Citrinne is also allergic to getting speed so I shot up her bond with Lyn and had her inherit Spd + 3 which helps a lot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Celine is absolutely excellent on Maddening because her promotion to Sword/Sorcery/Staff is absolutely incredible and the fixed growths let her round out the exact way she wants to.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

So what's the deal with the Gold/Silver skirmishes? I'm assuming the Gold skirmish has enemies that drop a lot of money but the one I currently have is a fog of war one so I can't tell

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

How do you get A supports with Emblems? I thought I saw a message saying finishing their paralogues did it, but I'm not sure how

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

How do you get A supports with Emblems? I thought I saw a message saying finishing their paralogues did it, but I'm not sure how

Their paralogues unlock further bond levels.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Shiny777 posted:

There are only like 4 characters who join after Ch 16, which also seems around the point where everyone should be promoted if you're going to 20, so that's probably around the time you should have a solid idea who your core ~12 are gonna be. I ended up burning all my stat boosters on 17 because that map utterly brutalized me the first time around.
there isn't any reason to wait until promoting in this game to begin with since it just uses some internal level count to determine exp stuff

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This game needs reeking boxes because I need a skirmish to appear on a particular map node so I can adopt a flamingo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't imagine how badly people would do on a blind hard mode if you waited until 20 to promote.

I think like 1 party member I have would at 20 by chapter 15.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Scrap Dragon posted:

So what's the deal with the Gold/Silver skirmishes? I'm assuming the Gold skirmish has enemies that drop a lot of money but the one I currently have is a fog of war one so I can't tell

Silver skirmishes have enemies that give bonus XP on death.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I just got Rosado and he is everything I ever dreamed (except for canonically being trans). His non-combat outfit is so cute and I am sad I cannot take it into battle.

Goldmary is also good.

On an unrelated note that chapter was a bastard and featured the dumbest set of reinforcements this game. Oh well, at least it's not same-turn bullshit reinforcements.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

I can't imagine how badly people would do on a blind hard mode if you waited until 20 to promote.

I think like 1 party member I have would at 20 by chapter 15.

I did that! It was fine. I didn't quite wait until 20, more in the 18-19 range, but I definitely didn't immediately promote at 10. I also didn't inherit Canto on everyone or do any second sealing besides moving Anna to mage. It's all absolutely fine on Hard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tae posted:

FE3H did the solution of making every single character have a mini support every chapter in the monostary, in the same way Xenoblade 3 removed heart2hearts by just making them mandatory cutscenes instead.

This is one of the best things Xenoblade 3 did. It's extremely obvious that the writers deliberately wanted to keep all of the party members "active" throughout the story and avoid a situation where someone just kind of disappears after finishing their "arc." I think every possible pair of the 6 party members gets its own cutscene at some point. Like you'll be thinking "I don't really see Lanz and Mio talk much" and then they'll add some cutscene at a camp where they spend a while chatting.

Of course, this is only possible due to having a small party, but I think such a limited cast is far better in a narrative-driven game like that. Games like the later Trails ones have far too many characters.

I'm playing Three Houses now, and while the plot doesn't really involve the characters much at all (probably because most of them can die), the supports are really good at giving you a feel for the dynamic between the characters. At least for Blue Lions, though I get the impression they're a more cohesive group than the other houses. Maybe I'll change my mind when I play the other ones, but it feels like Blue Lions has fewer characters with a single obvious "gimmick." Maybe when I do Golden Deer Raphael will reveal some deep reason why he likes big muscles. Maybe a big log fell on his family when he was a kid and they all died because he could not lift it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

This is one of the best things Xenoblade 3 did. It's extremely obvious that the writers deliberately wanted to keep all of the party members "active" throughout the story and avoid a situation where someone just kind of disappears after finishing their "arc." I think every possible pair of the 6 party members gets its own cutscene at some point. Like you'll be thinking "I don't really see Lanz and Mio talk much" and then they'll add some cutscene at a camp where they spend a while chatting.

It rules, especially because the Heart to Heart system in XB1 was insane, I think I played the entire game without ever encountering one that wasn't locked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/MoistRNR/status/1617389548899799043

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I just got Rosado and he is everything I ever dreamed (except for canonically being trans).
my rosado hot take is that hes a trans dude. and i support him.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

What’s everyone think about the Smash weapons? The first one I have is Aymr and the accuracy really makes me think they are pretty wretched.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ROFL Octopus posted:

What’s everyone think about the Smash weapons? The first one I have is Aymr and the accuracy really makes me think they are pretty wretched.

They are situational but very useful.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, maybe reclassing Jean was a bad idea cause he can't kill for poo poo and gets doubled easily.

Oh well I can always give him Micaiah, the Emblem of Fast Experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kinda flew over my heard earlier but Leif is a really nice emblem to bond with basically everybody: on top of giving tons of weapon proficiencies which opens up promotion diversity, he has an inheritable Build + 4 at level 6, which doesn't take too many bond fragments to reach and is like an across the board +4 speed to most of my army not named Louis.