Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

If a leader ever earned a ratfucking, Carrie did. I am fairly sure her mandate from Beijing was “don’t rock the boat” and she rocked it so thoroughly it pretty much capsized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
she vacillated a lot during the 2016-2019 period: instead of straight-up asserting that she has Beijing's confidence, you do not, I'm going to crush you because I'm a patriot and you're a running dog mentality... she ducked behind procedural excuses or evasive answers

this strategy works great when trying to navigate single-issue upper-middle-class activists whose primary concerns are charity, conservation, or greenism - but not once issues escalated

a basic lesson for all authoritarian governments is that backing down in the face of protests emboldens protesters; even if one does have to back down, it is necessary to then hunt down the ringleaders so that they cannot build momentum with protesters with unrelated grievances

(see also: the current wave of disappearances of anti-lockdown protesters)

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Imperialist Dog posted:

The Chinese state (not Party) has a rubber-stamp "legislature" called the National People's Political Consultative Conference. It's multiparty, with powerless groups like the Revolutionary Nationalist Party participating and all key positions coincidentally filled by Communist Party members. It's also the place Hong Kong Chief Executives get to go once they have finished loving over Hong Kong - both Beijing loyalists Tung Chee-hwa and Leung Chun-ying both got spots (Sir Donald Tsang didn't get one because he did too good of a job in actually trying to do what was best for Hong Kongers).

Enter Carrie Lam. She singlehandedly destroyed Hong Kong by ignoring everyone who told her she was going to make a small issue snowball, all so she would, in her mind, make Beijing happy. She more than anyone else helped crush civil society in Hong Kong, jail democrats, finally introduce national security laws, and spur the exodus of hundreds of thousands of citizens with pro-Western or pro-democracy leanings. Right up Beijing's alley, right?

She received .... nothing. I'd like to think she learned that once you've done the party's bidding you'll be spit out like so much useless gristle, but knowing her, she'll find some way to blame somebody else.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-18/ex-hk-leader-carrie-lam-excluded-from-china-s-top-advisory-body

This is interesting...So why did the other two get spots? Is it because they were able to save face and present a farce. Giving the ccp what it wanted while still letting hong kong exisit as a fiction etc

or is it because she s woman?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Leung handled the 2014 "umbrella" protests to Beijing's satisfaction: he ended the protests with no concessions

Lam made many concessions and then also backtracked on some, pleasing no-one and also letting the civil unrest drag on

granted, she was given a much tougher message to sell

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 21, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Had this video about hand made Korean hiking boots pop up in my recommendations. Thought, "There's no way I'm spending half an hour watching that."

But I did and it was great. No dialogue, only a few simple descriptions of each stage. The _best_ kind of youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEw4cSUalZY

Now I want the money to get my own hand crafted boots.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Had this video about hand made Korean hiking boots pop up in my recommendations. Thought, "There's no way I'm spending half an hour watching that."

But I did and it was great. No dialogue, only a few simple descriptions of each stage. The _best_ kind of youtube video.

You suck for posting this.

Now I want some!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Korea invented boots, after all

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
how many lakes are in korea?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ups_rail posted:

There are some reservoirs but natural lakes... less than five probably. I can only think of one.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Me eating 白切鸡 at the in-law's for lunar new year dinner:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 22, 2023

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The bones are the most delicious part.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
may your red packets have fat stacks

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Happy year of the wet bunny to all!

Especially to all my old pals still in China.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
apparently there has been a surge of interest for pet rabbits

meats back on the menu boys

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Rabbit with boneshards is especially good

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/lichtspektrum/status/1617521090095624194

someone tapped NetEase HQ on the shoulder and told them about 可信、可爱、可敬

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Is this World of Warcraft poo poo?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are you gonna provide some context or are we all gonna have to decipher that enigma of a tweet

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
It is, but it's also Chinese very online nationalism stuff.

Business pages:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-17/netease-blizzard-to-end-deal-that-brought-warcraft-to-china
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-18/netease-and-blizzard-china-warcraft-spat-escalates
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-17/netease-rejected-game-license-extension-offer-blizzard-says

Foreign publishers need a local distributor. Activision-Blizzard (ATVI)'s agreement partner NetEase (NTES) will expire shortly but renewal negotiations broke down. NTES is certainly no longer small, but is still heavily dependent on licensed mobile titles for its own revenue; it still relies on its Blizzard partnership for steady flagship title revenue.

https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1232815367828967425

Gaming side coverage: https://www.wowhead.com/news/netease-response-to-blizzard-entertainment-local-orc-statue-torn-down-331041. Inflammatory statement by CEO, video streamed on its official Douyin of employees physically tearing down some Blizzard memorabilia - then reconciliatory official letter today. The whole public meltdown was quite unprofessional which makes me wonder if a quiet call was made somewhere to align on a "China is back open for business" message.

NTES recovered quickly from the Blizzard announcement in November but still seems to be struggling in general, although the restart of game approvals in end Dec last year seem to have sparked a slow recovery.

It has been pointed out in the Chinese financial press that if Blizzard changes local partners, it will probably have to seek approval again under current regulations, although that depends on the interpretation of SARFT regulations. Technically, Ninetowns (the previous distributor from back in 2004) still does exist as a going concern and could be snapped up in a pinch if necessary. Regardless, even with a new application, if there's a farcially long delay in issuing an approval, Chinese observers would be quick to point it out and ATVI is probably large enough that it would trigger embarrassment.

The read-between-the-lines part is that Activision-Blizzard is a big well-known Western company (just behind, uh, NTES itself by market cap, awkwardly enough) potentially about to be acquired by an even larger big well-known Western company (Microsoft) and Activision-Blizzard is speculated to have demanded "conditional on game approval" conditions in the renewed contract - where ATVI tacitly expects its Chinese distributor NTES to take on all the regulatory risk of a potential anti-gaming regulatory winter (like the one ongoing during the negotiations). In an abstract sense it's certainly fair for the local partner to take on all the local risks after having enjoyed the local upsides (like, e.g., being mandated to exist), but at the same time it also can't feel fair to NTES, specifically, that its negotiating position lets the powerful foreign publisher foist the cost of a bias against foreign title approvals on it instead of the foreign publisher. Nationalism nationalism nationalism.

ronya fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 23, 2023

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ups_rail posted:

"Korea wins again!"

(It was me)

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Blistex posted:

"Korea wins again!"

(It was me)

I still giggle when I remember that story.

Did dude ever stop trying to constantly one up you?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Zombie Guy posted:

I still giggle when I remember that story.

Did dude ever stop trying to constantly one up you?

Yeah, after the entire office burst out into laughter he walked out in a huff. Later he brow-beat a subordinate into telling him what was so funny, and I think he might have had a moment of self-reflection and decided that this one-sided pissing contest wasn't portraying him in the best light.

The "pepper-peeking" sisters I was running with filled me in that it was the perfect burn, because I chose the lower number, which was an answer that you would give to allow your superior/elder to retain face, but the fact that I did that (according to custom) caused him to lose face by his own hand. This was my first real lesson into face culture, and those ladies saved me so much future trouble by explaining it to me.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Yeah, after the entire office burst out into laughter he walked out in a huff. Later he brow-beat a subordinate into telling him what was so funny, and I think he might have had a moment of self-reflection and decided that this one-sided pissing contest wasn't portraying him in the best light.

The "pepper-peeking" sisters I was running with filled me in that it was the perfect burn, because I chose the lower number, which was an answer that you would give to allow your superior/elder to retain face, but the fact that I did that (according to custom) caused him to lose face by his own hand. This was my first real lesson into face culture, and those ladies saved me so much future trouble by explaining it to me.

I lived in japan on and off for a few years.

One year was the worst year of my life. composed of one part culture shock, one part face culture, two parts what the japanese will call tatemai ni and honne. there take on face culture, and finally some of my own personal emotional trama mixed in.

I you dont understand face culture and the whole a person will tell you a "story" explaining X is just impossible and cant be done, you believe them. Then after a few weeks of said issue become worse and worse, then you talk to someone above them in the office, and boom same fucker who again had a very nice sincere story explaining why X is impossible just causally goes "so do you want to do X?" and your having a melt down of "wait what!! you said you couldnt do it! what changed whats going on? explain this to me again!"

*Sigh*

Then I dated someone there and ooh gently caress did I not understand poo poo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

sorry for your loss

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why do people in Japan go so quickly for the “such and such is impossible/cannot be done”? Is it just not wanting to be involved?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It would require giving unsolicited advice/unprecedented request to their boss and/or their boss's boss

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Country got fuckin nuked twice, who knows what's going through their heads

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Why do people in Japan go so quickly for the “such and such is impossible/cannot be done”? Is it just not wanting to be involved?

peanut posted:

It would require giving unsolicited advice/unprecedented request to their boss and/or their boss's boss

I m not going to type out a 30 plus page screed/ rant.

What was happened was I didnt know the rules, and this person "knew I didnt know the rules" and one of the rules is "dont explain the rules"

So being a foreigner in a strange place and having someone with a smile say "hey look this is japan and this is the way things work here" has alot of power especially if your a naïve goon.

A rather senior manager was on medical leave for cancer, It was his job to handle "X" in his absence a lower level contract worker was free to do the job however she wanted and she let things get bad.

I bring the results of this to another low level worker, who rather than say "oh poo poo thats wrong," and go

"double poo poo the dude whose suppose to over see this stuff is on medical leave and most likely people are covering for him so he wouldnt lose that position in the office" And worse the lady whose slacking really hard is technically part of another office, so it would be over stepping our bounds to go tell someone "hey your not doing your job" never mind it would hurt the harmony in the organization.

So rather than admit that a problem exists, and they cant really do anything about it. Its easier to just "make up a story about how I dont understand the country, and nothing can be done"

Which to be fair is how the Japanese handle things and if you grow up with that culture and understand the context of things. Like your complaining is making more work for me, and bringing these issues up will embarrass people, so lets not do that okay?

I was basically gas lite for almost a month, until I told a higher level person in a different department about this issue. Then they went a said something and then THAT LYING MOTHERFUCKER acts like the month long conversation about how nothing can be done never happened.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That son of a......

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's not just Japan, Korea and China do it too. It would take effort and they don't want to, or it would mean taking some form of responsibility or admitting to some kind of fault and everyone would rather see civilization collapse than do that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its why east asia loves a good megacorp because thats like the principal activity of megacorp peeps, whatever ethnicity

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 24, 2023

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Lol no same things happened to me working in a company of literally 3 people.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not just Japan, Korea and China do it too. It would take effort and they don't want to, or it would mean taking some form of responsibility or admitting to some kind of fault and everyone would rather see civilization collapse than do that.

your making me imagine how face culture would work with in a zombie movie.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

My wife is half-Japanese and spent time working at Japanese companies, and she says it's some weird combination of not wanting to take responsibility and "the nail that sticks out gets hammered back in." If a person were to take responsibility or admit to some kind of fault or make a decision on their own, then they're now the nail that sticks out. They're "different" than everyone else, and yep...everyone would rather things completely collapse than be that.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

In Japan, you get given a box to sit in, and if you go outside the box everyone will get angry because the box is good enough for them, so why are you going outside the box?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Cool cool cool.. so how do I get a work visa

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Wendigee posted:

Cool cool cool.. so how do I get a work visa

you sit in the box with the ankle shackles

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the box issued to gaijin comes with a free party hat it's pretty sweet

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the box issued to gaijin has a note on the side that says please excuse this person from nomikai as it is not in their culture, which is the sweetest perk of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I worked for a Japanese woman helping her run an international business for a year and a half and I will never ever ever do that again because yes I was constantly in trouble for not reading between the lines, but even worse it wasn't overt trouble just a lovely low-level awkward boil where she was just incensed at me all the time but wouldn't say it or make any comment to help me get better in any manner. Requests for direct feedback were simply ignored.

I still get flashbacks to when I asked her how She would like to split the work of responding to emails (we shared one business email for the whole business and she had some she preferred to handle herself, and some she wanted me to be on top of personally), she just said 'I think it's rather clear how we should handle this, don't you?' and then moved on to having a phone call with a client. N....no! It's not! That's why I asked!!!

Seriously, I had to up the amount of therapy sessions during that time to cope with the stress of always loving up but not knowing how. Just knowing I was inexplicably never doing my job right in my boss's eyes, but not able to get any clear direction, now matter what approach I took.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 25, 2023