Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Even then, it's still wasteful to consume a bunch of precious water in the middle of the desert to power a bus.

Several hydrogen projects are attempting to use hydrocarbons rather than water if you want to feel less bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
oops I bought an ix

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TwoDice posted:

oops I bought an ix

How do you like it

This is my Next Promotion car, I think

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TwoDice posted:

oops I bought an ix

Nice car! How does it drive?

Incidentally, attachments work now?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TwoDice posted:

oops I bought an ix

Hell yeah, I’ve seen a few around and the grille actually looks a lot nicer in person than in photographs. That’s an excellent colour too.

Debating if I should wait for EX90 or try to land an ix in the next little while..

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

TwoDice posted:

oops I bought an ix

Nice. I'm looking forward to a full trip report and pictures of the interior.

RE: Hydrogen. Does it have any weight advantage over batteries? I'm not trying to rile things up, this is a question from genuine ignorance. I have a pretty good idea of batteries vs ICE, but hydrogen powered vehicles are a complete blank for me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TwoDice posted:

oops I bought an ix

Awesome. Did you spring for the crystal buttons upgrade?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Wizard of the Deep posted:

RE: Hydrogen. Does it have any weight advantage over batteries? I'm not trying to rile things up, this is a question from genuine ignorance. I have a pretty good idea of batteries vs ICE, but hydrogen powered vehicles are a complete blank for me.

Hydrogen main schtick is "quick" refueling compared to electric and slightly lighter(the fuel tank is still chonky given the high pressure but far less than batteries) vehicles. This is for fuel cell, for ICE usage just LMAO.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Has anyone sold a passenger vehicle at retail with a hydrogen combustion engine? I know there’s a handful of fuel cell cars out there.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

TwoDice posted:

oops I bought an ix

Congratulations! And I can't help myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGqdE1NdMTg&t=24s

Failson fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 24, 2023

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Around here it is starting to look like there will soonish be commercial scale green hydrogen production due to available supply of near free renewable energy and plentiful water supply. It is however highly unlikely that the hydrogen will end up in road vehicles. Most will be used to make steel, hydrocarbons, ammonia and so on.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MrYenko posted:

Has anyone sold a passenger vehicle at retail with a hydrogen combustion engine? I know there’s a handful of fuel cell cars out there.

BMW and Toyota had prototypes and lease-only vehicles running modded ICE engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Hydrogen_7

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
I've only driven it for like 45 minutes since buying it, it's very nice so far. Premium package which includes the insane buttons and the good driver assist. It took me like a month to find one that matched the spec.

Some random thoughts: Easily the best android auto integration I've used on a car so far - map on instrument panel and directions on the HUD. Heated interior panels like armrests is amazing. Knob has a touchpad on the top which I did not expect given the silly crystal. Adjustable side bolsters are great. Car go fast.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TwoDice posted:

I've only driven it for like 45 minutes since buying it, it's very nice so far. Premium package which includes the insane buttons and the good driver assist. It took me like a month to find one that matched the spec.

Some random thoughts: Easily the best android auto integration I've used on a car so far - map on instrument panel and directions on the HUD. Heated interior panels like armrests is amazing. Knob has a touchpad on the top which I did not expect given the silly crystal. Adjustable side bolsters are great. Car go fast.

Congrats! I love the color you chose.

I looked up the 0-60 speed on my upcoming Bolt EUV. Despite being "sluggish" for an EV, it's quicker than any of my previous cars:

Chevy Camaro Z28 - 7.2s
Mitsubishi Lancer (not EVO) - 9.7s
Ford Fusion Hybrid - 7.9s
Chevy Bolt EUV - 6.8s

None of those are particularly sporty other than the Camaro, which despite having a big engine weighed a ton and drove like a bathtub. It's just funny that my sensible econo-cart will have better acceleration than anything I've owned before.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I looked up the 0-60 speed on my upcoming Bolt EUV. Despite being "sluggish" for an EV, it's quicker than any of my previous cars:

Chevy Camaro Z28 - 7.2s
Chevy Bolt EUV - 6.8s

None of those are particularly sporty other than the Camaro, which despite having a big engine weighed a ton and drove like a bathtub. It's just funny that my sensible econo-cart will have better acceleration than anything I've owned before.

I actually wanted white originally and settled for this but after seeing it IRL I'm glad I did, it looks a lot better than it does in photos.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Also it's super weird seeing like 300 miles on the range estimate coming from an e-tron.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TwoDice posted:

I actually wanted white originally and settled for this but after seeing it IRL I'm glad I did, it looks a lot better than it does in photos.

As a white-car-hater, I can say ya did good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TwoDice posted:

Also it's super weird seeing like 300 miles on the range estimate coming from an e-tron.

give me some notes vs etron, I've driven my buddy's etron a few times so have a point of reference there

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

give me some notes vs etron, I've driven my buddy's etron a few times so have a point of reference there

Much better infotainment, feels more roomy, more range, similar ride quality, a bit faster. Better ADAS but not by a ton - it will let you go hands free under 40mph in stop/go traffic without having to touch the pedals. Heated everything is good. Climate controls are more annoying if auto doesn't do a good job since they're all touch. Phone as a key is mmWave based so I'm optimistic that it'll actually work well. No rear seat tunnel. Am undecided on the frameless doors so far, they sound wimpy when I close them but they do give good visibility.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

It's just funny that my sensible econo-cart will have better acceleration than anything I've owned before.

I was floored when I realized the stupid LEAF was quicker than any ICE car I'd owned.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

WhiteHowler posted:

Chevy Camaro Z28 - 7.2s
Chevy Bolt EUV - 6.8s

The Bolt has a decent amount of oomph (200hp in an EV isn't really comparable to 200hp in an ICE IMO) but man is it hilarious trying to put any of that down, non stop wheelspin and torque steer.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I’m saying goodbye forever to my 2019 Model 3 performance this week. Selling it for something new.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

TwoDice posted:

Much better infotainment, feels more roomy, more range, similar ride quality, a bit faster. Better ADAS but not by a ton - it will let you go hands free under 40mph in stop/go traffic without having to touch the pedals. Heated everything is good. Climate controls are more annoying if auto doesn't do a good job since they're all touch. Phone as a key is mmWave based so I'm optimistic that it'll actually work well. No rear seat tunnel. Am undecided on the frameless doors so far, they sound wimpy when I close them but they do give good visibility.

update: the massage seats are much nicer than the ones I tried on the higher trim etron

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I love the iX interior but wish they'd managed to get a little quicker charging for that big battery. It'd kill me to leave an iX at home and take a different car on my road trips.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I’m saying goodbye forever to my 2019 Model 3 performance this week. Selling it for something new.
What's the something new

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Taycan Turbo S

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I wish! I'll post a pic on Thursday when I get that something new.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

I love the iX interior but wish they'd managed to get a little quicker charging for that big battery. It'd kill me to leave an iX at home and take a different car on my road trips.

Yeah if I drove long distance frequently it'd be annoying - hopefully they update it in the next iteration. It's like an extra 10min/stop vs the ioniq 5 at least.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I wish! I'll post a pic on Thursday when I get that something new.

THREAD TOPIC CHANGE

We will now speculate on Nfcknblvbl's new car.

I think it's a 1978 Citröen 2CV with the drivetrain from his old Model 3 Performance.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

cruft posted:

THREAD TOPIC CHANGE

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

THREAD TOPIC CHANGE

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Welcome to the EV6 club, friend.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Welcome to the EV6 club, friend.

I'd probably die of old age before I could get my hands on an EV6 GT.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Almost all commercial hydrogen is produced as a byproduct of natural gas extraction. It was always a scam by the petrochemical industry.

This is absolutely true currently but there are tons of wind-> hydrogen facilities in the works currently, mostly in Europe. If hydrogen picks up steam in the next 5 years things will be different.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Os Furoris posted:

If hydrogen picks up steam in the next 5 years things will be different.

If Hydrogen picks up steam, isn't that just water?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Os Furoris posted:

This is absolutely true currently but there are tons of wind-> hydrogen facilities in the works currently, mostly in Europe. If hydrogen picks up steam in the next 5 years things will be different.

“In the Works” is a bit an understatement, there is a lot of fesr items that exist on paper only to get funds but will never exist beyond science fair demos. I wouldn’t rely on them for strategic planning.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
TopGear compared the id.3, MG4-ev, and Electric Renault Megane. They liked the Renault best on all fronts. Might bode well for the Nissan Ariya, though I'm not sure if how much the two share (wild guess: the Nissan is a rebadge).

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/big-electric-car-test-renault-megane-e-tech-vs-volkswagen-id3-vs-mg4-ev

cruft posted:

THREAD TOPIC CHANGE

I think it's a 1978 Citröen 2CV with the drivetrain from his old Model 3 Performance.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

That car reminds me of the Strv 74.

Skinny tonk. It would rock severely if the main gun was fired to the sides, and was considered 'senseless' by crews who operated it.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 25, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Of course this happens the day before trading it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRm_HgBHpTg