Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

sarcastx posted:

Got contacted today!!!

Told him to get hosed!

I work at a Toyota dealer. We got one in on Friday the 20th (core but fully loaded), they listed for $10k over msrp which was 40,300ish. However, it wasn't claimed. I had first dibs on it. The best they'd do was 7k over. For an employee! I countered with 46,500 OTD and they said no so I walked. Monday they asked if I'd still be interested at my counter offer, told them to give me the night to think about it. Messaged my salesman Tuesday that I'd meet him and finance around 630pm when I got off and he said it just sold.

Tl;dr: gently caress dealers. It's an amazing machine though, loved the test drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Testing a JCW All4 Countryman tomorrow but I'm really not interested in that body style as much as the Clubman. There's some good used ones a few hundred miles away from me so I figure I'll try the Countryman out, and if it's fun enough I'll go on a road trip and pick up a Clubman.

Show of hands: still a hot hatch?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, probably.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

You never know, maybe #1 will decide they don't want it.

My buddy was #6 on a list for a RAV4 prime and the other 5 people before him just declined to buy it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!
I need something else to drive. All I have right now is a ford expedition MAX and gently caress parking/driving/etc. that thing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

sarcastx posted:

Testing a JCW All4 Countryman tomorrow but I'm really not interested in that body style as much as the Clubman. There's some good used ones a few hundred miles away from me so I figure I'll try the Countryman out, and if it's fun enough I'll go on a road trip and pick up a Clubman.

It's got a hatch and as much horsepower as my Type-R, absolutely hot.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

sarcastx posted:

]

Nope. It's the one thing even better than a hot hatch: a hot wagon! Cooper is the hatch, clubman is the wagon.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Time to put letters to those columns so we can get to the bottom of this.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I sent a complaint to Toyota about my dealer gouging me on the GR Corolla, here's their helpful reply:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sarcastx posted:

I sent a complaint to Toyota about my dealer gouging me on the GR Corolla, here's their helpful reply:

lol

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

sarcastx posted:

Talk about adding insult to injury, yikes.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

sarcastx posted:

Close enough! (It's got 6 doors!)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

sarcastx posted:

Lmfao but also isn’t corolla crown in some language? I am just remembering the Throttle House joke that all their models are just different versions of crown.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sarcastx posted:

I consider it more of a hot hatch than my Kona N and I'm still here :v:

TheBacon posted:

Lmfao but also isn’t corolla crown in some language? I am just remembering the Throttle House joke that all their models are just different versions of crown.
Can't remember if Corolla was one of them but that video was the first thing I thought of while reading that letter.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
No the crown is not a Corolla is way bigger. Also when I was emailing a couple years ago to see who had grc lists, most dealers came back with "hey yeah we have a couple gr86s come on down" like goddamn what's up with reading comprehension.

Contrast that with Mark Miller Toyota who immediately responded with hell yeah that car is gonna be sweet, you can be #1 on our list, the price will be MSRP, just give us $500 down.

Also, holy poo poo at those markups: gently caress dealers. Always, gently caress dealers.

That said, mark Miller Toyota in downtown SLC is an MSRP only dealer and they stuck to their word. I still say all dealers are shady but if you want a new Toyota, Erin at Mark Miller will get you one for MSRP.

Seriously though sorry to hear about that poo poo. A markup for a dealer employee?? Wtf??????

Btw getting close to my next Ortho foot appt; gonna ask em point blank "can I use a clutch now pretty please??"

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 26, 2023

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Btw getting close to my next Ortho foot appt; gonna ask em point blank "can I use a clutch now pretty please??"

I was beyond thrilled when my doc cleared me to drive again this month, after my total hip replacement. Longest two weeks of my life.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I did check and ya lmao corolla is latin for small crown according to wiki

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
For years Toyota's core models were the Corolla, Corona and Crown

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dissss posted:

For years Toyota's core models were the Corolla, Corona and Crown

Don’t forget that Camry is a vague anglicization of kanmuri, which means crown in Japanese.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I was beyond thrilled when my doc cleared me to drive again this month, after my total hip replacement. Longest two weeks of my life.

Yeah it's been 6 weeks for me and definitely the longest period without driving since I got my license.

Also I definitely didn't just rip a lap around my city with a modified and strengthened ski boot liner so that I could clutch while keeping my foot encased and pointed the right way. No sir.

But if I had, I'd say that the car is everything I wanted it to be. :hellyeah:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

The JCW Countryman was fun as hell, my GOD the Sport mode is a night-and-day difference from normal mode; the ride is borderline brutal and the acceleration is pure comedy. And if you leave it in Sport+Manual Mode, you *have* to shift - it will bounce off the redline until you do.

They didn't have a JCW Clubman - just a Cooper S - but I did try that out for comparison. It's about 11cm shorter, but some of that is the Countryman's roof rails so in the flesh they don't look that different. What is highly different though is the rear visibility - not just where the barn doors meet, but because of the reduced rear window height (exacerbated if you happen to have the rear seat headrests up).

So I did the sensible thing and left with the JCW Countryman lol

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Welcome to the tall hatch club :v::hf::v:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

sarcastx posted:

They ran the Clubman in the WRC, so absolutely a hot hatch. If that's a Clubman. If it's a Countryman, yeah, still a hot hatch.

Also - trying to decide whether I want to get the Euro aspherical side mirrors or the homelink/auto dimming rearview mirror for the GTI. It's kind of a toss up a this point in my brain. Any opinions?

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 29, 2023

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

a mysterious cloak posted:

They ran the Clubman in the WRC, so absolutely a hot hatch. If that's a Clubman. If it's a Countryman, yeah, still a hot hatch.

Also - trying to decide whether I want to get the Euro aspherical side mirrors or the homelink/auto dimming rearview mirror for the GTI. It's kind of a toss up a this point in my brain. Any opinions?

Euro mirrors, properly adjusted, mean that you can have a vehicle in your peripheral vision while looking straight ahead, and still be able to see it in your mirror. All cars should have them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My buddy let me borrow his 2.5L Rabbit while I work on my car, and while this hatch is explicitly not “hot,” driving around town is a blast. The straight five (!) is just all kinds of torquey, and the gearing is set up to really deliver at city-driving speeds. With no turbo-lag, it’s just pure fun from the second the light turns green.

It’s been snowing lately, and he has it on snow tires, but the wheelbase has made snappy slide turns easy to control and go into and out of. The width is kind of a bummer, because you’re never really in any of the ruts on snowy roads, just kinda drifting between them, like driving an old Jeep Willys on the highway.

Anyway, the Rabbit is fun as poo poo. Here’s a bad picture of it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Euro mirrors, properly adjusted, mean that you can have a vehicle in your peripheral vision while looking straight ahead, and still be able to see it in your mirror. All cars should have them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Very true. I'm leaning more that way as I rarely drive at night.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I kind of forgot that generation Rabbit even existed. It wasn't sold in the US very long, was it?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Golf was re-dubbed for a few years is my understanding, couldn’t tell you which though. They really are nice little cars too. I test drove a black one like that with a 5-speed, and it was pretty much as described here.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MkV golf was marketed as the Rabbit here, just that generation, then back to golf.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, they also called that gen GTI just the “VW GTI”. No Golf branding at all. But the shifter still has golf ball pock marks. :iiam:

(It’s because the first gen Golf was released in the US as a Rabbit. Dumb, but whatever.)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had a Mk1 Rabbit back in the 90s, super fun little car. Did a 400 mile round trip to the first Warped tour on a 100 degree summer day with 5 200lb dudes in that tiny car. Was a sad day when it got t-boned and totaled. Tried to replace it with a Mk3 VR6 GTI, but couldn't quite afford it at the time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

My buddy let me borrow his 2.5L Rabbit while I work on my car, and while this hatch is explicitly not “hot,” driving around town is a blast. The straight five (!) is just all kinds of torquey, and the gearing is set up to really deliver at city-driving speeds. With no turbo-lag, it’s just pure fun from the second the light turns green.

It’s been snowing lately, and he has it on snow tires, but the wheelbase has made snappy slide turns easy to control and go into and out of. The width is kind of a bummer, because you’re never really in any of the ruts on snowy roads, just kinda drifting between them, like driving an old Jeep Willys on the highway.

Anyway, the Rabbit is fun as poo poo. Here’s a bad picture of it.

I'm shopping for something for our 16 year old and there are a few options with the 2.5L that fall into the price range. I'm always hesitant to buy an old VW even though I love them. It's gonna be hard to not grab an old Civic, Fit, or Corolla instead.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, they also called that gen GTI just the “VW GTI”. No Golf branding at all. But the shifter still has golf ball pock marks. :iiam:

(It’s because the first gen Golf was released in the US as a Rabbit. Dumb, but whatever.)

Is that the generation that had the weird little "fast" cartoon ball thing mascot?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I dunno. It’s just the Mk V Golf, but it was badged the rabbit. It doesn’t even say “rabbit” on it, just has a little chrome rabbit instead.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

So I just passed my breakin miles on my new Elantra N. Really loving this goofy little car so far. Getting it out to Time Attack and AutoX in February and can't wait to see my times. Am I allowed even though my car has a trunk?

Also we're in the few months a year where all of my fun mountain roads are inaccessible so I'm fiending for a nice scenic drive :(

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
They added an all-screen dash to the Hyundais? Looks pretty cool. I just made my oil change appointment for 30k km for my Veloster N this morning and I saw that they recommended changing the cabin filter as well. Well, since I'm not gonna pay dealer's prices for such a small thing, I hunted for it online and after quite some searching found one and ordered it. Comes from the US, shipping is almost as much as the filter itself, and probably still cheaper than the dealer. I hope that Pureflow Air make a decent filter as I never heard of them before.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

MunchE posted:

So I just passed my breakin miles on my new Elantra N. Really loving this goofy little car so far. Getting it out to Time Attack and AutoX in February and can't wait to see my times. Am I allowed even though my car has a trunk?

Also we're in the few months a year where all of my fun mountain roads are inaccessible so I'm fiending for a nice scenic drive :(

That gray looks really nice on the Elantra N!

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Volguus posted:

They added an all-screen dash to the Hyundais? Looks pretty cool. I just made my oil change appointment for 30k km for my Veloster N this morning and I saw that they recommended changing the cabin filter as well. Well, since I'm not gonna pay dealer's prices for such a small thing, I hunted for it online and after quite some searching found one and ordered it. Comes from the US, shipping is almost as much as the filter itself, and probably still cheaper than the dealer. I hope that Pureflow Air make a decent filter as I never heard of them before.

Yup, it's fully customizable too. It has different gauges for the different modes and in N mode it just goes to Tach in the middle with your temps and boost around the side. Or if you want you can force all the modes to use your favorite gauge faces. It's been a lot of fun playing with the split personality stuff in the car.

How long have you had the VN? Any issues I should watch out for?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Volguus posted:

How much was it to change the filter?

Sometimes I have the dealer do it if it's on special for 39.95. The filter for my car is 20 bucks, and another 20 to not have to deal with it isn't the end of the world. It's only a 5 minute job though, so depends on my mood.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Jeez if we’re letting sedans in here I might as well post my kid’s looooooooooooong hatch

Seen alongside a trunk hatch, a tall hatch, and a real hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Jeez if we’re letting sedans in here I might as well post my kid’s looooooooooooong hatch

Seen alongside a trunk hatch, a tall hatch, and a real hatch.

And GOATS