Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I am unreasonably annoyed by the term "deathsticks". That's just terrible marketing, you don't see drug dealers calling their heroine "murder powder" do you

Get it together George

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

McCloud posted:

I am unreasonably annoyed by the term "deathsticks". That's just terrible marketing, you don't see drug dealers calling their heroine "murder powder" do you

Get it together George

Seems fine for a setting where no one's ever really gone.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It's a great name I would smoke them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Do u just not tell people star wars sucks? That's what I do

I go into a long sad diatribe about my life and Star Wars fandoms and it makes them stop talking to me about Star Wars and that’s all I want them to doooo

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

McCloud posted:

it's a legal thing, like the cancer pics on cigarette packs

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McCloud posted:

Drugs in Star Wars are called "spice" because they're literally spicy.

Different blends are marketed under the same logic as novelty hot sauce.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Drugs in Star Wars are called "spice" because they're literally spicy.

Different blends are marketed under the same logic as novelty hot sauce.

Potential clients are badly burned when they unwisely accepts a dealer's offer to try DA BOMB INSANITY STICKS.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Well well well

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-mov...nce-1234665342/

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

the highlighted part is extremely hard to believe, but who knows

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Glottis posted:

the highlighted part is extremely hard to believe, but who knows
Why is that?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

McCloud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHkrZECnfs

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

It requires JJ to actually have come up with an answer to a mystery box be created instead of throwing up his hands and going "you tell me"

But that quote can also mean what I just said so maybe he was just being nice about it

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Just really doesn't seem like a JJ style move to hype up someone having super interesting family then completely go the other direction, yet seems extremely like a Rian move. Maybe it was more like JJ threw the idea out and Rian ran with it?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
:smug: my son has apparently convinced some of his friends that they want to watch Starwars. :allears: Maybe I'll get to rewatch everything again.:woop: rise of skywalker :negative: Though unfortunately, one of them probably isn't allowed to (yet), due to religion. :shrug:

My son also has the best teacher, as he was lent a Starwars background book from his own collection (his teacher is also a fan and they have regular discussions about the movies) and is now learning about the Filoniverse before ever watching anything from Filoni.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Glottis posted:

Just really doesn't seem like a JJ style move to hype up someone having super interesting family then completely go the other direction, yet seems extremely like a Rian move. Maybe it was more like JJ threw the idea out and Rian ran with it?

“REY MIGHT HAVE FAMOUS PARENTS” isn’t actually in the Force Awakens. It’s never raised as a possibility; we’re neither told nor shown anything at all.

What you’re referring to are insane fan theories based on a misinterpretation of the TFA teaser trailer, where Luke talks about a powerful new member of his family.

That’s his nephew, Ben Solo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

IIRC it's just her saying she was dumped on the planet and waiting for them to come back / go in search? I don't know.

TFA was fine.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

TFA has a lot "Whose this chick?" (maz to Han) "A GIRL took the DROID?" (kylo) which some people look at as signifying some secret significance to Rey - but I personally always felt the nobody angle made the most sense which is why TLJ's reveal made immediate sense and TROS was so loving bad

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

My biggest problem with the TFA, and I remember thinking this at the time, is the first half is interesting because new characters, new setup, new background, etc. A lot of it isn't really explained or confusing (Why is there a resistance when the New Republic is right there? Where did The New Order come from? Who or what the gently caress is Snoke? etc) but whatever it was the first in a trilogy, maybe more, so plenty of time for the mystery to unravel!

The second half of TFA is store-brand A New Hope though and was far less interesting. The sequel trilogy never really recovered from there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Like the prequels I’m okay with the sequel trilogy

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Like the prequels I’m okay with the sequel trilogy

My hot take is the Prequels are better than the ST.

Because as terrible as the Prequels can be they at least attempted to tell a different story and had over-arching themes (the Jedi have lost their way, the decadence and corruption of the Republic and it’s fall, the fall of Anakin) that was then better fleshed out in works like The Clone Wars. And the consequences of the Clone Wars are constantly referenced in Star Wars media even today.

As for the Sequels, outside of Galaxy’s Edge it feels like Disney is trying to memory hole the whole thing as much as possible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s a cold take.

Here’s my hot take. I like the last Jedi better than the clone wars

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My understanding is even galaxy’s edge kinda shitcanned being set in the sequel era and is now canonically unstuck in time so darth vader and the mandalorian can walk around. I guess it’s really only the hotel that is still committed to that idea?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly they could change that too.

As someone who likes a lot of the sequel stuff it never sat well for me that Galaxys edge was stuck in one specific trilogy. I’m glad they’re changing it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

No Mods No Masters posted:

My understanding is even galaxy’s edge kinda shitcanned being set in the sequel era and is now canonically unstuck in time so darth vader and the mandalorian can walk around. I guess it’s really only the hotel that is still committed to that idea?

Last time I went, which was sometime last year, this wasn't true. Darth Vader and the Mandalorian walk around the rest of Hollywood Studios, but when you go into the part of the park that is Galaxy's Edge proper, it's all First Order and Rey.

That may have changed in the last 6 months or so.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mando and Boba Fett patrol Galaxys edge now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-egyFTqfpok

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Mando and Boba Fett patrol Galaxys edge now.

Interesting. Does Boba look at all like he did in Mando and Book of Boba Fett? Like, can you tell? If so, I guess they're going with post-OT? If not, then I've got nothing.

I still don't think they have Vader in there. There's a whole section on the other side of the park where you can meet him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6NSEN0NQZg

No Vader no, not yet anyways.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Okay, that looks like Old Man Fett to me, where the armor isn't totally filled out (but the man sure is, hey-oh!). So they're going with fuzzy post-OT timeline only? Weird, but alright.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Soon Ahsoka will walk around. Then I'll finally go.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Galaxy's edge was unstuck from time from the day it opened. When the park was being designed, Colin Trevorrow's version of Episode 9 was the one they were working towards, so stuff like the model of TIE parked in the middle of town and the fully operating Resistance base were designed to lead to a movie that doesn't exist. Selling "artifacts" from the future and having characters from the past warp in for an afternoon isn't really that weird if you think of the place as this weird temporal tourist trap that exists in a dead universe and is just hawking the wares of the next timeline over.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerkface posted:

"A GIRL took the DROID?" (kylo) which some people look at as signifying some secret significance to Rey

You'll have to forgive Kylo - Luke's academy was a boys-only club for some reason

Ignore the Rise of Kylo Ren comic

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“REY MIGHT HAVE FAMOUS PARENTS” isn’t actually in the Force Awakens. It’s never raised as a possibility; we’re neither told nor shown anything at all.

What you’re referring to are insane fan theories based on a misinterpretation of the TFA teaser trailer, where Luke talks about a powerful new member of his family.

That’s his nephew, Ben Solo.

You're right that they don't explicitly say it, but they do show little glimpses of her parents and she makes it clear that she wants to have them return / know more about them. Then she's great at force poo poo and it's Star Wars, so of course it's some family twist, right? Just doesn't seem like the sort of fakeout I've seen in anything else JJ has done. He goes for the "yes they're even more special than you thought!" type of development. I mean, look at TROS. Fan theories for sure, but c'mon, I wouldn't call them insane fan theories based on the rest of Star Wars.

I thought her parents being randos was a great story development so kudos to JJ if it actually was his plan, but it cheapens it if it was somehow also his plan to immediately retcon that idea.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
"The force created a child who is outta nowhere super powerful but lives as a slave on a remote desert planet": amazing Christ reference, compelling origin to the Skywalker dynasty

"Something caused the birth of a child who is outta nowhere super powerful in the force but lives as a junk scavenger on a remote desert planet": intolerable mystery box, must to be explained, generates millions if not billions of outraged youtube views, hastily retconned in disastrous trilogy closer

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

General Battuta posted:

"The force created a child who is outta nowhere super powerful but lives as a slave on a remote desert planet": amazing Christ reference, compelling origin to the Skywalker dynasty

"Something caused the birth of a child who is outta nowhere super powerful in the force but lives as a junk scavenger on a remote desert planet": intolerable mystery box, must to be explained, generates millions if not billions of outraged youtube views, hastily retconned in disastrous trilogy closer

Well to be fair, anakin's origin was also retconned, with george's blessing, to be caused by sheev

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

thrawn527 posted:

Okay, that looks like Old Man Fett to me, where the armor isn't totally filled out (but the man sure is, hey-oh!). So they're going with fuzzy post-OT timeline only? Weird, but alright.

At Disneyland, it's only post-ROTJ era (Mando through RotS), but at least they're able to mix it up a bit in that era. Unless Bob Iger intends to force through OT or PT characters, it'll be a long time before we ever see Vader in the parks again.

That said, the Disney World Orlando version of Galaxy's Edge is time-locked exclusively within the era between TLJ and RotS because of the drat Galatic Starcruiser hotel. Since guests are paying north of $5k to stay there and have an "excursion" to Batuu on their second day that's supposed to be immersive, that park isn't allowed to have the Mando, Fett or Fennec characters you can see/meet in California since they presumably weren't around by then. Which has pretty unfortunate implications now that I think about it.

The last time you could actually meet and greet OT or PT era characters at all was on the Disney Cruise Line "Star Wars Day at Sea" sailings, but those have been discontinued as of very early 2022 and replaced by Pixar and Marvel Day at Sea.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

General Battuta posted:

Anakin's origin was left as a mystery but not one that anyone cared about. It was not relevant to Anakin's character arc. In comparison the sequels were preoccupied with Rey's parentage and TFA set it up as a question without enough information to answer. Like JJ said she had a last name but that he'd left it out of TFA deliberately.

IIRC A lot of people at the time thought the virgin birth thing was dumb, but noone really cared; those who disliked the film had far bigger axes to grind.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 27, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think a ton of people cared about it along with the other axes to grind. Wasn't the big rumour that it was Palpatine somehow made Shmi pregnant?

E:

E2: Story group says please look away from behind the curtain.
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-emperor-palpatine-not-create-anakin-skywalker/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was outright stated in the legends novel about darth plageuieiseus, but that was thrown out and in disney it's only implied by that stupid comic