Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lmao

quote:

In October 2019, when research revealed most ocean plastic pollution comes from Chinese cargo ships,[88] a spokesperson from The Ocean Cleanup said: "Everyone talks about saving the oceans by stopping using plastic bags, straws and single use packaging. That's important, but when we head out on the ocean, that's not necessarily what we find."

Don't worry we don't need to stop using plastic for everything, it's the Chinese's fault for taking all our wonderful wonderful plastic and dumping it in the ocean, those scoundrels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Isn't it mostly from commercial fishing?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Shame Boy posted:

Where'd you see that, cuz supposedly they've collected 100 metric tons.

Still a real dumb idea though.
All the collectors and booms that have been busted apart add up to more than that.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Shame Boy posted:

...what

Holy gently caress

dont dox me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wikipedia posted:

Like Mr. Trash Wheel, the others deployed so far have also been anthropomorphised:

• the Canton-based, female-gendered Professor Trash Wheel, visually distinguishable from the other instances due to her green googly eyes with lashes, was commissioned in December 2016;[14]
  • the gender-neutral Captain Trash Wheel without lashes but with brown irises in June 2018 at Brooklyn.[15]
  • Another female-gendered wheel at the mouth of the Gwynns Falls named Gwynnda the Good Wheel of the West. Gwynnda has the same lashes as Professor Trash Wheel but with purple eyes. The largest of the four wheels, Gwynnda picks up more trash and debris than the other three wheels combined.[16]

I'm glad that whoever maintains this wiki article is dutifully documenting the gender identities of the various Trash Wheels

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Useless bullshit but with a gender identity. Such disruption.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The trash wheels actually work relatively well. The trash is concentrated and non broken down in estuaries, plus there’s no violent storms.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

cat botherer posted:

The trash wheels actually work relatively well. The trash is concentrated and non broken down in estuaries, plus there’s no violent storms.

but it doesn’t make someone billions of dollars so it’s actually bad.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Panfilo posted:

The good news is that by the time we develop a scalable Ocean Seive for plastic any potential bycatch will have been long extinct! :thumbsup:

I love my dead gay acidic ocean!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

...what

Holy gently caress
two minutes ago I did not know Mister Trash Wheel and now he's my new best friend because he is the same as me, trash

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought it was because he sucks

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shame Boy posted:

...what

Holy gently caress

I love him

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I AM TRASH WHEEL
410,757,864,530 plastics eaten

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
environmentalism is when liberalism

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Shame Boy posted:

Lmao

Don't worry we don't need to stop using plastic for everything, it's the Chinese's fault for taking all our wonderful wonderful plastic and dumping it in the ocean, those scoundrels
I thought it turned out that straws made up a relatively tiny amount of plastic waste by volume and that straw bans were largely performative and drew attention from bigger problems?

Blaming it on China reminds me of the rhetoric about air pollution as well, this idea that no matter what progress we make on our end it will be completely overshadowed by their pollution.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
almost every individual action that you can take is meaningless. it's all a smokescreen to blame you for the planet dying and not like, uh, four dudes.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Panfilo posted:

I thought it turned out that straws made up a relatively tiny amount of plastic waste by volume and that straw bans were largely performative and drew attention from bigger problems?

Blaming it on China reminds me of the rhetoric about air pollution as well, this idea that no matter what progress we make on our end it will be completely overshadowed by their pollution.

im pretty sure beijing has better air than something like LA for years lol

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

almost every individual action that you can take is meaningless. it's all a smokescreen to blame you for the planet dying and not like, uh, four dudes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Palladium posted:

im pretty sure beijing has better air than something like LA for years lol

Yeah they really cleaned it up for the Olympics and everyone said 'wait, this rocks let's do this all the time' while la just made a bigger highway

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
loving Seattle had the worst air in the world for awhile last summer.

We really don't have any room to judge.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I want that to be built and to attract all manner of rich people.

And then I want terrorists to sink it on a transatlantic cruise.

They'll probably sink it themselves ala Costa Corcordia or from cost cutting.

And until it sinks it'll be a norovirus incubator like every other cruise ship. D-D-D-DOUBLE DRAGON

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There was an adorable trash wheel with a fun name in Baltimore I hope he lives still

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There was an adorable trash wheel with a fun name in Baltimore I hope he lives still

I think Stav's still in New York

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Panfilo posted:

they're building a new trash incinerator plant near me lol

reclassified it as green energy, it literally is planned to burn old tires & recycle plastic into power

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would volunteer to take the trash wheel out for a spin on a nice day

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

I would volunteer to take the trash wheel out for a spin on a nice day

Buddy, they don't even let me gently caress it

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Shame Boy posted:

...what

Holy gently caress

This owns. I want a few in the Chicago river just for sheer delight

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrPossum posted:

they dont work if dave matthews dumps sewage on them sadly

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SniperWoreConverse posted:

they're building a new trash incinerator plant near me lol

reclassified it as green energy, it literally is planned to burn old tires & recycle plastic into power
fun fact about these, they are actually capable of being net negative greenhouse gas emissions if you're specifically burning biodegradable things that would otherwise rot in a landfill and feed bacteria that emit methane

you're better off making some co2 right now by burning it than letting the bacteria methane it up in a year because methane is fuckin awful (although the math is likely off because methane's way worse short-term and slightly better long-term in equivalent quantities)

it's one of those incredibly stupid corner cases but it does technically mean that a bunch of things that shouldn't be allowed to call themselves "green*" can

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you're better off making some co2 right now by burning it than letting the bacteria methane it up in a year because methane is fuckin awful
But enough about last night's schwarma,

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
His name is Mr. Trash Wheel and he totally owns, here's his Twitter

https://twitter.com/mrtrashwheel

Over 13 million cigarette butts filtered out of the harbor

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

https://twitter.com/joakimjansson/status/1614701473694187520

lower case only capital letters too strong

our posts were trendy all this time

first they started not capitalizing names like jefferson bezos as a sign of disrespect, and soon rest of the world will also understand loving up trumps name

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Unfortunately due to jurisdictional infighting they just dump all the collected trash back into the harbor

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DrPossum posted:

Asian Carp wheels.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Trash Wheel is literally what I posted :v:

Didn't know he had a twitter though that's fun

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/MrTrashWheel/status/1617196865182744578

I love him even more now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I thought it turned out that straws made up a relatively tiny amount of plastic waste by volume

Oh absolutely

Panfilo posted:

and that straw bans were largely performative and drew attention from bigger problems?

Eh depends on who's spinning the narrative. I feel like immediately rushing to "um, actually..." about us finally managing to take the tiniest loving step towards passing laws to get rid of single-use plastics is a bit counterproductive, like getting regulations about plastics passed in a country very much still owned by the petroleum industry is not nothing, but you definitely cannot let it be "well we did that and now the problem is solved forever" like some people want it to be yeah.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Oh absolutely

Eh depends on who's spinning the narrative. I feel like immediately rushing to "um, actually..." about us finally managing to take the tiniest loving step towards passing laws to get rid of single-use plastics is a bit counterproductive, like getting regulations about plastics passed in a country very much still owned by the petroleum industry is not nothing, but you definitely cannot let it be "well we did that and now the problem is solved forever" like some people want it to be yeah.

One thing that you see with straws and plastic bags is the baffling decision to make it about climate change and not trash

But also it’s just emblematic of the general trend that all environmental solutions need to focus primarily on the consumer instead of going for much bigger ticket items that would impact industry

Similar to the electric car mandates when commercial shipping is a much bigger area of opportunity

You see this with water use policy too, with lawn watering restrictions when agricultural use is many times more significant

In some ways it’s counter productive because it just fuels the culture war bullshit while ignoring much larger opportunities

But it also lets people feel smug about their Tesla and their brown lawn and their soggy paper straw so who is to say if it’s good or bad

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shame Boy posted:

Oh absolutely

The plastic straw stuff felt more like the typical shifting of systemic issues down to consumer choice and just a wealth transfer/finger on the scale for company A over company B than anything genuinely there to make the world better.
Though my perception is probably colored by the disposal bag ban which 100% was just a way to transfer packaging costs to the consumer and in say California has now largely just resulted in grocery stores flipping a cost into a revenue source. They've all but switched to a slightly thicker plastic rather than the paper bags originally rolled out, since the margin on those were worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

The plastic straw stuff felt more like the typical shifting of systemic issues down to consumer choice and just a wealth transfer/finger on the scale for company A over company B than anything genuinely there to make the world better.
Though my perception is probably colored by the disposal bag ban which 100% was just a way to transfer packaging costs to the consumer and in say California has now largely just resulted in grocery stores flipping a cost into a revenue source. They've all but switched to a slightly thicker plastic rather than the paper bags originally rolled out, since the margin on those were worse.

I love how all the slightly thicker plastic bags all have “REUSABLE” printed all over them in giant fonts