Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

It's a good job they cemented those enormous rocks down so nobody steals them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Tesla doors don't have mechanical opening mechanisms, right? Can you get out the cybrtruck in case of a 12V power failure if you can't break the windows? How long can you survive in there without fresh air?

A Tesla killing its occupants is a feature, not a bug.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I can never find this loving picture when it becomes relevant. Thank you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stoatbringer posted:

It's because they have no intention of improving things ever

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Murdstone posted:

Starts at $285k if anyone is curious.

I think the fully kitted out one is 700k or so. Probably closer to 5 million once you’re done with the resulting lawsuits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Dr. Quarex posted:

As much as I hate this and anyone who would buy one, I pride myself on my integrity so I freely admit this looks exactly like the kind of vehicle I would have hoped as an 8-year-old that I would be driving as an adult
It definitely would have been in the garage of the imaginary fort I drew that included a sweet video game room and machine gun grenade launcher.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Stoatbringer posted:

it would be funny if someone dumped a bunch of cement into the gaps between the rocks, filling them in to make a surface more suited to sleeping on

ha ha

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Action-Bastard posted:

I can never find this loving picture when it becomes relevant. Thank you.

Well, the next time you need to order some new checks...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

While the houseless situation is pretty bad in my city, I'd rather they tackle the root issues to get some humane solution instead of "we'll stop homeless camps by making it tough to set them up" thinking.

This probably holds in your city, too.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Milwaukee WI is very close to best in nation in transitioning the homeless into subsidized housing, medical/mental health care, and then later jobs programs.

There was a camp of about 100 outside the county courthouse at the beginning of winter and all except a handful had housing before Christmas.

It can be done instead of wasting the money on hostile architecture.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Liquid Chicken posted:

Well, the next time you need to order some new checks...

LOL

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

It can be done instead of wasting the money on hostile architecture.

The hostile architecture is just a wart on a larger problem. Housing, medical care, and support in general for more people would be way cheaper than trying to punish them out of existence.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://homelessness.ucsf.edu/blog/vacancies-are-red-herring

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

there's a glaring issue in that analysis correlating high homelessness and high vacancies when they declare that low vacancies in the city don't correlate to homelessness rates and therefore are incorrect - which is that homeless tend to congregate toward cities because that's where support services tend to be located, where there are large amounts of passers-by that might give them a couple of coins, and where county officials tend to bus homeless people to juice their stats. homelessness is not merely an overflow problem of too many people in one place, it is a political and logistics problem of why are there so many people in this one place, and you can have all the vacancies you want to solve homelessness it simply won't if the location isn't affordable, accessible, or desirable.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 24, 2023

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I was about to post that lol

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ghostlight posted:

there's a glaring issue in that analysis correlating high homelessness and high vacancies when they declare that low vacancies in the city don't correlate to homelessness rates and therefore are incorrect - which is that homeless tend to congregate toward cities because that's where support services tend to be located, where there are large amounts of passers-by that might give them a couple of coins, and where county officials tend to bus homeless people to juice their stats. homelessness is not merely an overflow problem of too many people in one place, it is a political and logistics problem of why are there so many people in this one place, and you can have all the vacancies you want to solve homelessness it simply won't if the location isn't affordable, accessible, or desirable.

this is insane, and absolutely not applicable to Milwaukee. i can't speak to other areas, but it's absolutely not a thing here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

okay

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

I kinda want people to steal those boulders and use them to build their own houses, like people did with decaying castles in the Middle Ages.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

The Romans build an entire empire using communal rear end wiping sponges on a stick. Do you think you are better than the Romans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24coYKPga9o

tl;dw: the Xylospongium was most likely not for the rectum, but for the "bowl"

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24coYKPga9o

tl;dw: the Xylospongium was most likely not for the rectum, but for the "bowl"

I'm not seeing any corroboration of this with some quick googling, all I found was this guy's original essay on Reddit about the issue, https://www.reddit.com/r/badhistory/comments/dawd91/the_use_of_shared_roman_butt_sponges/. I'd hate to be wrong about Roman Assholes based on a youtube video.

Here is a little bit of curse:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1202030368/xylospongium-tersorium-roman-sponge

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dave Syndrome posted:

I kinda want people to steal those boulders and use them to build their own houses, like people did with decaying castles in the Middle Ages.
:yeah:

Stoatbringer posted:

:mad:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/OsCZix8.gifv

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I love that he did this

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Android Apocalypse posted:

Found out the construction not that far from my house was to install these boulders as a form of hostile architecture in an attempt to deter houseless campsites.

While the houseless situation is pretty bad in my city, I'd rather they tackle the root issues to get some humane solution instead of "we'll stop homeless camps by making it tough to set them up" thinking.

:stare:

We might be neighbors.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Weird name for a wmbg cover band but okay

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Do I want to know why

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Because they're prescription and expensive probably

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Azhais posted:

Because they're prescription and expensive probably

And medicare gives them to every other old person because they're diabetic, so if you never bother to test your blood sugar, OR you died and your kids are wondering what to do with 5 pounds of test strips, maybe you can get rent money selling them to the Facebook Marketplace Pharma Company.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

And medicare gives them to every other old person because they're diabetic, so if you never bother to test your blood sugar, OR you died and your kids are wondering what to do with 5 pounds of test strips, maybe you can get rent money selling them to the Facebook Marketplace Pharma Company.

Who will in turn resell them to people without insurance because they need them to live normally. Cursed all around.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The system works

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

When I'm walking around my town I rip down any signs offering to buy test strips; also "we buy houses 4 ca$h" signs. Because gently caress those vultures.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a surprising amount of Medicare fraud related to diabetes test strips. I wouldn't assume that everyone offering to buy them is above board.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

There's a surprising amount of Medicare fraud related to diabetes test strips. I wouldn't assume that everyone offering to buy them is above board.

I think it's safe to say that anyone offering to buy them isn't above board. Like, "fraud until proven otherwise."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There was a period where our insurance lapsed and my Type 1 diabetic wife couldn’t get her test strips for less than $$$$ but they happened to be on sale as a pack-in with a glucometer for way less money. We bought like 6 of those things and just threw them away

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiny Timbs posted:

There was a period where our insurance lapsed and my Type 1 diabetic wife couldn’t get her test strips for less than $$$$ but they happened to be on sale as a pack-in with a glucometer for way less money. We bought like 6 of those things and just threw them away
Another American health care success story.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Per capita, I live in the worst city for homelessness in the country. Good ol’ Eugene. And it has been climbing over the last decade. Take that LA and New York…how does it feel to be second and third?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Juando290 posted:

Per capita, I live in the worst city for homelessness in the country. Good ol’ Eugene. And it has been climbing over the last decade. Take that LA and New York…how does it feel to be second and third?

Eugene city has about 3,000 homeless people ... and about 3,000 vacant housing units. It's less disproportional than other places, but there are enough homes for everyone if that was the priority even in in the worst city in the country for homelessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I had to see this, now all you do too.