Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like Scott hasn't seen from what I've listened to of it, but there's so much of it that I have a hard time choosing an episode to listen to (because I also haven't seen most of the movies) so I end up just listening to CBB presents or some other podcast instead. But i'm caught up on CBBP now so I guess it's time to work on the backlog.

I mean enjoy, not work. it's not work, get it together brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I want another Dance Month.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.
As someone who felt the same way before committing to Bonanas for Bonanza, I'll attest to how surprisingly fun these podcasts can be to binge without context.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I have watched fewer than 10% of the movies on Scott Hasn't Seen and it's right up there with Hey Randy for me. Sometimes I'll watch a trailer but that's it. It's not a serious film discussion cast and when they talk about specific aspects it gets spelled out enough.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Gotta say, this week's CBB was kind of a dud. The Hamilton stuff at the end was pretty funny though, especially that one song (you know which one).

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zerot posted:

It's not a serious film discussion cast

This is the primary reason I typically don't watch the movies for Scott Hasn't Seen. They rarely get into the specifics of a film to a point where I feel like I need to have a real familiarity with it to fully appreciate the discussion. There's a lot of surface level talk, and Scott's criticisms of films tend to hinge on CinemaSins-esque logical quibbles. This week's discussion with Owen Burke about his work as a producer is really interesting, but it also means they don't really start talking about Postcards From the Edge until a full hour in.

The other major reason I don't watch the movies they cover is that I know in advance that a whole lot of them suck*. As Scott himself laments from time to time, the major gap in his film knowledge combined with the age range of his co-host/most of their guests means they're watching a lot of sub-par/average 90's movies that people have a childhood fondness for.

*(Yet I watch almost all the movies for Action Boyz)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Gotta say, this week's CBB was kind of a dud. The Hamilton stuff at the end was pretty funny though, especially that one song (you know which one).

The Woliner interview was a good listen if you watch the show, as everyone who does definitely has questions and he provides a bit of info. It’s definitely a good watch and everyone is on tenterhooks waiting for the finale tomorrow.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Scott Hasn't Seen is great and i never watch the movies for them. Even if I've already seen it, it doesn't really change my enjoyment of the episode. SHS and Threedom are just nice because you're not getting the character of "Scott Aukerman". It's also funny how incredibly thin the veneer of Sprague is at this point, but I don't ever want the gimmick to end.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MokBa posted:

Scott Hasn't Seen is great and i never watch the movies for them. Even if I've already seen it, it doesn't really change my enjoyment of the episode. SHS and Threedom are just nice because you're not getting the character of "Scott Aukerman". It's also funny how incredibly thin the veneer of Sprague is at this point, but I don't ever want the gimmick to end.

I started SHS from the beginning and even then there was a lot "and as a uh...representative of Shaun Diston, I"

I agree that the looseness and casualness is very fun, and it feels like Scott's in that unique position of being just successful enough to have a lot of working experience and be jaded by it, but not successful enough that he can stop working yet, even if it kind of sounds like he doesn't really enjoy it anymore, it's an interesting perspective.

anyway, the maximus subscription has been a great investment, you get a disgusting amount of entertainment for $7/mo, wish i'd pulled the trigger sooner

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I don't get a sense he isn't enjoying doing these shows. Does give off strong failed actor vibes who managed to find where he truly shines, and probably still pines for success there.

SHS works pretty well because Scott doesn't have rose tinted glasses, but also Shaun Diston brings up a good mix of movies that I'd completely missed like Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I randomly signed up for cbb maximus yesterday too, looks like lots of us had the same idea at the same time. What do people recommend jumping into? So far i've listened to a couple of the 13th Anniversary Tour eps, one CBB-FM, and the first CBB Presents with Lloyd Webber from 2016 (its funny how dated this is, they mention the concept of a bob dylan musical which came out literally a year later, they mention a queen musical which was already a thing but obviously is a much bigger thing since bohemiam rhapsody, and then an extended chat about best Kanye songs). Saving Scott Hasn't Seen for when I get a chance to watch the movies, I listen to podcasts while working from home so its great to have all this content and I wanna stretch it out.

E: Also they mention add-free CBB and Threedom but both of those have always been ad-free for me on the podcast app or spotify, have they just always been add free in the UK maybe?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CBB Presents is all over the place, but the holiday specials are always a safe bet. After that, Hey Randy is the crown jewel. Don't sleep on Gil's Sparkelonious either. The tour is a solid choice too tho, as many of those are great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I don't get a sense he isn't enjoying doing these shows. Does give off strong failed actor vibes who managed to find where he truly shines, and probably still pines for success there.

SHS works pretty well because Scott doesn't have rose tinted glasses, but also Shaun Diston brings up a good mix of movies that I'd completely missed like Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.

Yeah fair enough, "doesn't enjoy" is maybe too strong, but there's definitely a sense of frustration somewhere in there that I find relatable.

as for where to start, I've liked pretty much all of CBB presents (the first one, the ALW one, is maybe not as good as the rest though), it's hard to go wrong in there. Hey Randy is my absolute favorite, Entree PeeE Neur is a close second, and this book changed my life is usually fantastic too. I like You Can't Handle the Sleuths a lot too, I hope Will does more soon.

and yeah, sparkalonious is a one shot thing (maybe?) and it's an absolute trip. Just Gil Ozeri being Gil Ozeri for an hour or so

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Annabel Pee posted:

E: Also they mention add-free CBB and Threedom but both of those have always been ad-free for me on the podcast app or spotify, have they just always been add free in the UK maybe?

I believe they insert the ads when you download them (so they can add fresher ads if you download at a later date), but here in Europe, they just don't bother inserting them because the ads are typically not relevant to us.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Occasionally they'll get some UK ads (always a shock to hear a British accent when queuing up an episode) or there'll be a hardcoded ad read by Scott. But it's rare. I'm amazed they don't reach out to get euro ad money. With Gourley and Rust finds it worthwhile, and CBB must be able to strike a better deal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ainsley McTree posted:

as for where to start, I've liked pretty much all of CBB presents (the first one, the ALW one, is maybe not as good as the rest though)

Yeah that one is an old thing they recorded that they had the rights to and pretty much just stuck it in Presents so there was a bit more content for the early days.

I wonder when the CBB Civil War thing is going to happen, the trailer for that was fun.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that one is an old thing they recorded that they had the rights to and pretty much just stuck it in Presents so there was a bit more content for the early days.

I wonder when the CBB Civil War thing is going to happen, the trailer for that was fun.

I thought that was supposed to be for Scott's paternity leave. And that baby is several months old by now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I was expecting it to have been and gone by now, I hope it isn’t scrapped.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They talked about it in xmas CBB FM. It is coming, just later than they'd thought.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Awesome, thanks. That’s a podcast I haven’t given a try yet as I don’t think my musical tastes will ever align enough to enjoy but maybe I’ll enjoy.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Today's ep just made me want the Victor and Tiny podcast back

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Awesome, thanks. That’s a podcast I haven’t given a try yet as I don’t think my musical tastes will ever align enough to enjoy but maybe I’ll enjoy.

I really don't vibe with Scott's "anything new wave-adjacent is worth listening to", but when they dude starts talking about his favorite concert ever being seeing fishbone in the 80s, my ears perk up. I think it's totally worth a listen, and completely valid to +30s through the songs you're not vibing with. But it's so great to hear him sincerely gush about music, or to be curious what his friends like and how they engage with music.

Like the last Tim Baltz episode really surprised me: I thought I hated Tom Petty but that dude picked some real smoothies. And just great to hear from someone you admire or respect what gets them excited.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s fair, might have to go on a binge at some point!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Like the last Tim Baltz episode really surprised me: I thought I hated Tom Petty but that dude picked some real smoothies. And just great to hear from someone you admire or respect what gets them excited.

Same, I’m gonna check him out.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
CBB FM is the most indulgent show on the network, but I love it. It’s mainly Scott just getting to talk about his own music taste and subjecting his guests to his music library. The guest segment seems like a polite requirement, but Scott’s tastes and perspective is front and centre.

I love it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I have found a lot of great songs from CBB.FM that I now love.

I think there's a fair bit of variety in the music, since guests get one or two blocks to show songs to Scott, and he seems to try to cater to their tastes. The Zouks episode was 90's grunge heavy, for instance, and the Weird Al episode was a lot of 70's post-punk/new wave and, through shuffling, a lot of hip-hop.

It's indulgent, but it's sincere and rules.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Shrink is fun, stars Tim Baltz and has a fair amount of CBB regulars showing up as guests each ep. Mary Holland is a regular and it's utterly bizarre both seeing her and not hearing her do one of the over the top voices.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 28, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Shrink genuinely made my cry. There's a specific kind of show that sets up a funny premise and then explores the situation past the comedy and into the drama. And Shrink pulls that off really well. It's a bummer it only got one season but it tells a very compelling and satisfying narrative in only 8 episodes.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

In all my years listening to the CBB podcast, Reggie has not appeared once! Felt very right to hear him on today's episode.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Love Scott's recent(?) habit of murdering his guests as a sting. RIP Potato, too pure for this world.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MokBa posted:

In all my years listening to the CBB podcast, Reggie has not appeared once! Felt very right to hear him on today's episode.

Pretty sure he appears in every episode and then runs away from the studio.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The only episode I remember him sticking around for is the one where he made the theme for Harris' Phone Corner Harrison's Foam Corner.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I started listening to the podcast right around the time Tears for Fears guested, and Reggie asked Scott if he could be on that episode since he was such a huge fan. Hearing Reggie all excited and nervous every time he talked to them was adorable.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sad news, Andy Daly is packing up his podcast stable from CBBWorld and doing his own thing. Good for him, but they're gonna remove all his stuff from CBBWorld at the end of the month :qq:.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's a bummer, but I'll be honest, with the way that email started out I thought he died or quit show business or something so I'm mostly just relieved he's doing well lol

I'm debating whether I want to make an effort to get through the backlog or just accept that I missed that one, I still haven't even started listening to any of the premium stuff. Not out of lack of interest exactly, there was just so much of it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah the way that email started I thought he'd been cancelled or outed as a sex pest or something. Happy to hear he's just doing his own thing

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sad that they can’t keep the rights to the stuff that’s already been published, it’s kind of a pain to either split subs across multiple services or download archives and store locally.

The full thing:

quote:

Dearest CBB World occupants,

While I usually write with good tidings and fantastic news, it is with great sadness and the heaviest of hearts that I must announce that Andy Daly is no longer going to be hosting his shows on CBB World.

Andy took some time off for his hiatus, and contacted me last week to say that, after several years of doing the show for various entities, he was looking forward to the opportunity to start his own thing, with no boss other than himself (and his GOD, of course).

When we started this endeavor a little over a year ago, I wanted to do something harkening back to the early days of podcasting, where friends supported friends, and we all had a good time together.

In the spirit of that, I've told everyone involved that if they wanted to leave for any reason, I'd be happy to support them and not hold onto their shows. No strings attached.

So "Bonanas For Bonanza" IS returning... but you'll have to follow Andy to his own little pasture on the internet to hear it. (I certainly will!) There will be more details to come about this soon.

What does this mean for you?

Well, we wanted to give you enough time to catch up on the show if you're behind - so the back catalogue will continue to be available through the end of February. After that, the Andy Daly Podcast Project feed will be taken down for both Legacy and Maximus.

We know there are certain subscribers who are here largely for Andy, and may have been hanging on waiting for him to return.

For all of you, we want to assist you in any way we can - if you would like to cancel your subscription and get a prorated refund, it's not a problem. We want to make sure you feel happy with your purchase here, and want to go overboard in making sure you don't feel like you've spent a penny you didn't feel good about.

If you're one of these people, please write to contact@cbbworld.com.

For the rest of you, we have not been lost for new content! We've been ramping up production on more CBB Presents episodes. You may have noticed we've only taken one week off since October!

In fact we just added a brand new CBB Presents limited series on Tuesdays, hosted by Dan Lippert: Walton On Walton! It's the "after show" to the real Bill Walton's new telecast. First episode is out now!

And "College Town," which started out as a CBB Presents, is going strong as a new weekly show with its own feed (some of you don't know it has its own feed - make sure to go back to cbbworld.com and follow it! It comes out every Tuesday and it's hit its stride!)

And we have more surprises in store coming down the proverbial pike -- including the "Crisis on Infinite Bang Bangs," which will be a multi-part epic of its own.

Andy has promised he'll come back to do certain surprises with us, and of course he'll continue to be on CBB proper.

So, while we are saying "au revoir" to The Andy Daly Podcast Project (like a true city slicker!), I'm confident CBB World remains the most fun corner of podcasting.

With kind and warmhearted admiration,
S. Aukerman

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I kind of wished they'd at least have worked out a deal to keep the backlog on there or something. But hey, it's their business, I'm sure they had their reasons

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I believe Scott when he says it's him aiming for a friendly, handshake-deal arrangement. It's a good deal easier to renounce all rights and let Daly set up his stall elsewhere than a protracted divorce deal like you see between Earwolf and eg Hollywood Handbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I figured something was up when the new Bill Walton CBB Presents was published this morning. "But Tuesdays are reserved for Andy Daly shows..."