Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah I did the usual promote at 20 for blind hard and haven’t had too much problem with it so far, currently on ch18.

You would definitely want to promote asap on maddening though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

What determines SP gain? All my units kinda having middling amounts and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Do actions while engaged increase SP?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hahahaha. I just Great Aether'd 8 enemies to death in Sigurd's paralogue. Probably a waste of exp but extremely loving funny.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RuBisCO posted:

What determines SP gain? All my units kinda having middling amounts and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Do actions while engaged increase SP?

You only gain SP if you have a ring equipped, but the gacha rings count. Other than that, it's just kind of slow; it takes a while to hit 1k

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://twitter.com/VOOK64/status/1617867735945605120

some actual confirmation of the part of the leak that said nintendo sat on releasing this for a while

RuBisCO posted:

apparently it's 50% of XP gained if the unit has a bond ring and 100% if they have an emblem. not sure if there's any more to it than that

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
:allears:
there are so many fantastic characters in this game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does SP gain ever speed up at all or is it basically "pick one expensive skill per character otherwise you gotta grind SP"?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

my rosado hot take is that hes a trans dude. and i support him.

Headcanon acquired, thank you.

Yes, good. I am not using Fogado this run but I may in the future, he seems fun.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Diamante and Alear both have had some garbage Str growth for me which is really bumming me out. Diamante might be benched soon. Meanwhile Etie and Louis both are absolute monsters and I feel like they haven't missed a single one. they are flexing menacingly, tauntingly at the swordlords

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I was going to bench Ivy because I felt like I was going to end up with too many tome users but I guess I should swap her out with Celine?

Ivy has a unique niche in being a mage that can actually take a hit thanks to non-trivial amounts of defense. Also flight.

In other news, Tiki Alear remains an unstoppable hellbeast. Still feeling kind of guilty about this. Just has absolutely "yes" stats across the board (due to the natural all around high growths of Alear and Tiki's stat growth passive on top of it when she has been stapled to Alear since I got her) and that's *before* engaging which they can maintain like a 90% uptime on thanks to Alear's support for the engage gauge on their advanced class skill and their special sword filling the gauge extra fast.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I really want to play this game, but where the hell can I buy an N-Gage???

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bunet's VA is also Whis and so he's an auto add to my party

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I stopped buying rings after getting a decent variety to get everyone SP and a relevant stat or two, but decided to grab 10 once I unlocked Byleth. Glad I did!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Are skirmishes infinite? My original plan was doing a main chapter, then any skirmishes available, then proceeding with main once they’ve run out, but I’m getting to a point where skirmishes are spawning 3 at a time. If they’re infinite I’ll probably just leave them be unless they have gold/silver corrupted

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

Are skirmishes infinite? My original plan was doing a main chapter, then any skirmishes available, then proceeding with main once they’ve run out, but I’m getting to a point where skirmishes are spawning 3 at a time. If they’re infinite I’ll probably just leave them be unless they have gold/silver corrupted

Skirmishes are infinite, yes. I think they're tied to real-time instead of in-game time so you can run out until time passes (or you change your system clock), though.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

I think they only respawn once you've done a main chapter/paralogue. But there's still no real need to do so many skirmishes, I only do them if I'm desperate for the animals on their location.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Gotcha, thanks

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the tiki paralogue wasn't as bad as people made it sound (on hard at least) but I did it after chapter 9 so my guys were at a good level for it. it did take 25 turns, though. the dragons were manageable by just using my high-HP units as bait to lure them out and then shooting them down with longbows, wind magic, and engage specials. once the reinforcements start coming in it gets a bit dangerous but I just designated a group to stay in the middle and play meatgrinder while the rest of my army hauled rear end to kill Tiki as quick as possible by trapping her in the hallway and using a bunch of engage skills.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The paralogue is perfectly manageable on Easy Normal, but I still have to redo it because Tiki suicided on me one turn before Chloe would reach the Silver Card. :negative:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hopeandjoy posted:

The paralogue is perfectly manageable on Easy Normal, but I still have to redo it because Tiki suicided on me one turn before Chloe would reach the Silver Card. :negative:

wait, before she could reach the what
oh gently caress :doh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Byleth's paralogue was the first time I actually really leaned into busting out obstruction/warping/freeze staves and I spent like an hour and a half putting the puzzle together to finally protect every single crystal. And my reward is... a talisman and an elixir. :rolldice:

Fun chapter and it was nice to have some objectives besides "kill boss(es) don't let dragon jesus die" but come on game way to kill the enthusiasm.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf enough bosses are magic that talismans are nice

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I've been dragging Anna along because I wanted her to turn into a great knight or whatever Jade starts as but it's been a struggle. She melts if anyone even looks at her, and while everyone else can get xp no problem I've been having to set up kills for her.

I see people talking about turning her into a mage but her magic is really low. All of her stats seem really low. I know I'm on normal but she might be too bad to use. I could use Boucheron but the dude is so slow and has similar stats so Anna is just a little better. Jade seems ok but I literally just got her.

Is it possible to salvage her or Boucheron or am I just screwed on axe users?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
anna's magic is low because the fighter class has a miserable magic base that torpedoes it. if you look at the 'change class' feature in the inventory you'll see that changing her to a mage with a second seal will basically solve all her problems immediately (her lack of damage output, her low survivability, and also her atrocious speed due to low build + axes' high weight)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Solm is funny as hell. Seforia is a cool mom

Ike’s ring? idk it’s in a box of random poo poo somewhere

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

You get a sword fighter you can promote into a sword-axe user in chapter 8, and he's probably most people's best bet for a good axe unit.

edit: Oh wait I didn't see you got Diamant already. :v: Yeah just promote Diamant honestly

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 25, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you wanna keep anna an axe fighter, engrave a hand axe with something that'd make it lighter and then forge it up. grats shes now a strong ranged unit who does backup attacks.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

blizzardvizard posted:

You get a sword fighter you can promote into a sword-axe user in chapter 8, and he's probably most people's best bet for a good axe unit.

they already have jade so you don't need to talk around diamant in this way

e: you caught your own error so this post looks silly now

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anna is just a unit that needs to be babied a bit honestly, even if you give her good forges/emblem skills she's still going to be made of paper until her Fighter/Warrior growths have a chance to drag her HP out of the mud. Mine is currently a level 6 140 rating warrior but it was a slog getting there, lots of setting up kills and giving her arena fights between missions.

If I ever do another playthough I am probably not going to bother with her, you get other axe users for free who are pretty much just as good if not better than her that require way less effort.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also people say the base stuff has no characterization but i do feel like there's unique animations for everyone hanging around. like i saw framme and timerra having a waterfight in the pool and i doubt theyd have vander and zelkov do that. probably.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Second Sealing Alcryst into a Warrior after promoting him also makes him a good axe user who can do longbow chain attack stuff. Dude gains +4 Str and 2 Bld for the low cost of 1 Spd (and 5 Dex, but he's got a good Dex growth so it's not that bad)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Endorph posted:

if you wanna keep anna an axe fighter, engrave a hand axe with something that'd make it lighter and then forge it up. grats shes now a strong ranged unit who does backup attacks.

Yeah my Anna has been useful to me the entire game. A +crit engraved and forged Killer Axe means she can likely delete anyone I want her to and longbow (and the Dual Assist skill) means she participates in backup attacks from a mile away.

Additionally mine still got plenty of magic to make use of the Radiant Bow as well.

edit: extremely this
vvv

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Anna is good as a warrior or berserker because small child + big axe is a good combination.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Thanks for the tips. I may end up turning Boucheron into the ranged axe guy, and as for Anna I'll either mage her or bench her. I feel like I'm spoiled for choice in the caster class right now.

edit: also I wish there was a way to preview what a unit will look like as a class. That also influences my decision. This is fashion emblem not clown emblem.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Overbite posted:

Jade seems ok but I literally just got her.

Is it possible to salvage her or Boucheron or am I just screwed on axe users?

Jade isn't a bad choice for an axe user, she's not as cracked as Louis but Armor Knights are just insanely good by default in this game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Played this on a four hour flight until the switch gave up. My brain is stupid and I used rewind a lot, but I think I've remembered how to play the game now. It's really fun, looking forward to more.

The character really get dumped on you but tbh they're fine. I'll end up with faves xcom style as we battle it out.

E: emblems seems very much suited to particular character rn. Wish they were more flexible I guess but I'm barely into the game.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Hellioning posted:

Anna is good as a warrior or berserker because small child + big axe is a good combination.

:yeah: She took some babying to get going, but she's ended up one of my best units for just straight up deleting a guy from just slamming the axe button as hard as possible into Berserker.

Much better results than the other small child, who has thoroughly failed to become the murder tornado of fists I had hoped for when I picked him up.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
jean's skill just doubles growth rates, but the monk rates blow

xp is also a little harder to come by so villager gimmick is rougher

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

also people say the base stuff has no characterization but i do feel like there's unique animations for everyone hanging around. like i saw framme and timerra having a waterfight in the pool and i doubt theyd have vander and zelkov do that. probably.

I had this! It was super cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also having played the game some more I think the new characters in Chapter 11 are just really good outliers because they're better at base than the next like 3 sets of characters you recruit and the whole 'only pre-promotes are good' thing is a bit of an exaggeration.

Endorph posted:

I had Framme and Clanne doing the water fight in my game.