Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Meier is young, talented and affordable, anybody with a need for a top 6 forward and a decent amount of cap space should be in on him. Especially if San Jose isn't requesting an outrageous return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

They could make it work, I've seen lineup cap examples. They have enough young guys who are ready on cheap deals to make it work.

If it's a trade-and-sign, then yeah, you might see Casey or Nemec involved. If it winds up being a rental with an intent to TRY to sign him, they'll pay a rental price and the focal point would probably be a 1st in a deep draft and an NHL-ready guy like Bahl or Okhotiuk who would get very good chances in SJ.

I think mayyybe Casey, but it's hard to see Nemec getting moved in any deal.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It is because (through no fault of his own) Pettersson doesn't excel at anything.

It could be so, but that's arguing that Sullivan is just being dumb and not understanding that a dman who can play 18 minutes a night and not massively gently caress up has a lot of value, especially to a depth starved team like the Penguins. Seems easier to believe he just doesn't like the guy for whatever reason.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Meier is young, talented and affordable, anybody with a need for a top 6 forward and a decent amount of cap space should be in on him. Especially if San Jose isn't requesting an outrageous return.

Have you seen what they are asking for Karlsson?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Meier isn't a rental so they'd better be asking for a ton.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They can ask for a lot, but unless the market has drastically changed, they're likely looking at a DeBrincatesque return.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

It could be so, but that's arguing that Sullivan is just being dumb and not understanding that a dman who can play 18 minutes a night and not massively gently caress up has a lot of value, especially to a depth starved team like the Penguins. Seems easier to believe he just doesn't like the guy for whatever reason.

Sullivan had at his disposal defensemen that did different things better (or in Sullivan's mind better) which is why Pettersson didn't play as much. Last year was MPs lowest ice time per game as a Pen. That's because he wasn't used on the, best or near best, PK. It was Marino/Dumo as 1st PK D pairing and Letang/Ruhwedel as the 2nd one. The year prior it was Dumo/Ceci and Marino/Ruhwedel/Letang. '19/20 was the last time, until this year, MP saw more than 60 seconds per game of PK time. With Matheson there was a PP2 option because well....Pettersson doesn't put up a lot of points does he? This year it's Petry/Letang for powerplay time. Followed by Smith/PoJ. Last year it was Letang then Matheson and Marino. Prior to that you'd put Letang then Schultz and then Marino.

So that leaves 5v5. Until halfway through last year Letang/Dumo was the top pairing. Then we had the ongoing discussion of 'who the hell plays on the 2nd pairing' between Matheson/Marino (who did not work as a pairing. Literal pages and pages upon pages of rex drivel about that. Of the grouping Matheson put up points. Pettersson doesn't. Marino did some as well. So if you were chasing a game....Pettersson isn't playing. If you were PK'ing Pettersson wasn't playing. If you were on the powerplay Pettersson wasn't playing. This is the huge problem with being capable of everything master of nothing. MPs ice time is up because Sullivan recognized that Dumo is a disaster in outcomes....but either doesn't trust or does not have another player to try and do what Sullivan needs done. Which is PK and defensive zone deployments with exits. So MP gets assignments with Letang or Petry. Which he is fine at but....again....doesn't super excel. Which is kind of the issue. There's 4 million dollars per year tied up in a player that doesn't nothing exceptionally. He's 'fine'. That's his ceiling. The issues on the back end aren't really a Pettersson problem....in so much as it's a roster problem that the former 1st pairing'ish guy in Dumo now can barely play 3rd pairing minutes. Fortunately they have kept MP around and he is once again doing 'fine'. But, at the end of the day, MP only has 1 more point than PoJ despite playing 5 more minutes a game and for someone playing 1st pairing minutes 5v5 that isn't good enough. I think the D core needs a shake up, but replacing Dumo is the more difficult option and if they move MP and promote Smith whatever. That at least will be different.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

They can ask for a lot, but unless the market has drastically changed, they're likely looking at a DeBrincatesque return.

Not sure if Mark Stone is a comparable but if so then a ppg 26-year old winger is only worth Brannstrom and a 2nd rounder.

Kevin Bahl and a 2nd bam

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/1618034518966915072?s=20
great news!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

He isn't totally wrong. Columbus was legit trying to not suck this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's been telling us with a straight face for 25 years that Phoenix is a great place for hockey so this should be no problem.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

the thing is, from his exact words, he’s not wrong. I fully believe that players and coaches do not play to tank. the thing is that every time he talks about tanking (including the quote above) he very very conveniently leaves out front offices who obviously clearly field teams with subpar talent that are designed to stink up the joint for years on end. that’s why he’s Gary!

tweet unrelated

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1617555322754977795?s=46&t=3tRYU3YeIMN_XvzvEjqr_g

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Oh my God, I had no idea that anyone signed Stanley Cup Champion Jack Johnson.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Didn’t you hear? The hawks are trying to win.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Hawks are so in the tank that they tanked on a trade for futures

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Oh my God, I had no idea that anyone signed Stanley Cup Champion Jack Johnson.

Please go look up the Hawks roster. Its literally "Oh yeah that guy. He still plays?" the entire way down.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

e: e:

drat, Sam Lafferty's still in the league huh
and having a career season

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

Didn’t you hear? The hawks are trying to win the draft.

ftfy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

The Hawks are so in the tank that they tanked on a trade for futures

I'm sure the NHL wouldn't be too upset if Bedard ended up in Chicago.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Bruce had an interview with Russo in The Athletic

Thanks for this. Poor guy deserved much better. They ought to build him a statue for making the 2021-22 Canucks watchable.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

You goddamn moron, you did away with the weighted lottery! You required teams to finish below 21st to even have a chance at 1OA! You guaranteed a top 5 pick to the bottom 3 teams! Of course there is tanking!

IF it was a real weighted lottery -- where every non-playoff team could randomly finish in any position, with the bottom teams having slightly more favorable odds -- I believe tanking would be gone. Because that part is correct, orgs are not going to build a team to lose just for a few more percentage points. But that's not at all how it currently works.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I'm sure the NHL wouldn't be too upset if Bedard ended up in Chicago.

The NHL wants Bedard in Chicago. They're the TV network's #1A/#1B favorite team with Pittsburgh, and the sociopaths running the league sincerely think Chicago's owed something for all that rape enabling unpleasantness they were forced to go through. And New York/LA aren't going to be in the lottery.

Been beating this horse for a long time, I 100% expect Bedard to go to the Blackhawks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bard Maddox posted:

the thing is, from his exact words, he’s not wrong. I fully believe that players and coaches do not play to tank. the thing is that every time he talks about tanking (including the quote above) he very very conveniently leaves out front offices who obviously clearly field teams with subpar talent that are designed to stink up the joint for years on end. that’s why he’s Gary!

tweet unrelated

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1617555322754977795?s=46&t=3tRYU3YeIMN_XvzvEjqr_g

Stanley Cup Champion Jack Johnson.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

T-Bone posted:

The 7th overall plus two more picks is quite a lot! I don't think any team interested would have a pick that high so its probably more like that return plus an additional first or a good prospect.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Not sure if Mark Stone is a comparable but if so then a ppg 26-year old winger is only worth Brannstrom and a 2nd rounder.

Kevin Bahl and a 2nd bam

Stone was a soon to be UFA. Timo is an RFA (though with a high qualifying number).

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Bad news: The Buffalo Sabres are going to make the playoffs.
:clint::sotw::swoon:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The 7th overall plus two more picks is quite a lot! I don't think any team interested would have a pick that high so its probably more like that return plus an additional first or a good prospect.

I think the likely return from a playoff team is a 1st + a solid prospect. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd as the cherry. I don't think they get a 1st AND a top prospect from anyone.

For like the Devils I'm betting if something went through it would be like 1st + Holtz or Casey + late rounder, or 1st + Mukhamadullin + 2nd, something like that.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

T-Bone posted:

I think the likely return from a playoff team is a 1st + a solid prospect. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd as the cherry. I don't think they get a 1st AND a top prospect from anyone.

For like the Devils I'm betting if something went through it would be like 1st + Holtz or Casey + late rounder, or 1st + Mukhamadullin + 2nd, something like that.

I saw a rumor from a somewhat reliable source that it's top prospect + 2 picks, I wonder if Holtz qualifies as he's best buds with Eklund and can't carve out a space here yet.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pretty fun game by the Pens and Panthers. I'm mostly only saying that because the Pens won though. I'd feel pretty disgusted if they hadn't.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Desmith had two goals against tonight where he ended up not in his net

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Do the poke check one next. That was hilarious when I saw it.

Edit: Unrelated hey would Detroit mind like a 4th for a half retained Ned by chance?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the devils have more powerplays in overtime than regulation the last two games. suck my rear end zebras

ps devils own lmao

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Edit: Unrelated hey would Detroit mind like a 4th for a half retained Ned by chance?

I would be super into this

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Gotta get a replay of Jack's pass to Dougie in OT

Edit, there it is

https://twitter.com/HockeyDaily365/status/1618085183277895680?t=WLQ077bdW54HodQ9Te5sFQ&s=19

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://twitter.com/ryanmura/status/1618088773983830018?s=46&t=ygMVKVvgDTkE_rm8N4D1jA

Power with goals in back to back games

Edit: also Good Tage is back

https://twitter.com/2goalies1mic/status/1618056724753309696?s=46&t=ygMVKVvgDTkE_rm8N4D1jA

https://twitter.com/2goalies1mic/status/1618068514648227840?s=46&t=ygMVKVvgDTkE_rm8N4D1jA

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 25, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

tage

But seriously, he was extremely good tonight. Even when he isn’t scoring, he is making insane plays like the setup of the OT winner last night. If Washington loses, the Sabres will be 3 points back with three games in hand. They still play Washington two more times :getin:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Avs 6th straight win, MacKinnon's 700th point, Jared Bednar becomes sole holder of winningest coach in franchise history, now 3rd in the Central. Good night for the Avs, Makar and Manson should both be healthy for the next two games against the Ducks and Blues, getting a couple of wins there before the All Star Break would rule, and get a week and a half for the banged up dudes to get healthier.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Do the poke check one next. That was hilarious when I saw it.

Penguins hockey goaltending baby

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That Chicago team last night was actively trying to lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

That Chicago team last night was actively trying to lose

Nobody tanks, Bettman said so himself.