Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Hatebag posted:

Phew, turns out my boss quit. Hatebag stays winning

goongrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I was pretty nervous but now i can just blame any missed deadlines on the old boss and dick around. Pretty good deal!

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i work for a small biotech company and one of our biggest contracts just got cancelled because the customer axed the entire division that was working with us lol

wonder how much time i’ve got left

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Woke Mind Virus posted:

my tech company hasn't laid anyone off and has even been hiring the technical recruiters laid off from other tech companies. I am very pleased we are hiring people to layoff later when the next stock market report is due.

My place isn't really a "tech company" per se (at least, not any more, after being acquired by a bigger company in a different industry), but we've been having regular layoffs and hiring freezes for years, and there's nobody left to cut. They're begrudgingly starting to hire this year since they're at pretty high risk of losing business because of being understaffed.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

I got wind and report from. Shift Lead. The [Regional Grocery Brand] is converting it's staff to do grocery shopping in house. So everybody from regional director on down for the ax. It looks like if you wanna keep shopping you can just switch apps. I found a regular-degular job so I'm just gonna shoplift until the proscribed date.

Instacart and other shopping apps days were always numbered. Like the meal delivery services it was always a matter of time before the grocery stores realized they can just have staff (which can do other things during downtime) do the same thing, better, and no longer have instacarts fuckups reflect on them

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Instacart and other shopping apps days were always numbered. Like the meal delivery services it was always a matter of time before the grocery stores realized they can just have staff (which can do other things during downtime) do the same thing, better, and no longer have instacarts fuckups reflect on them

Yeah I knew that their days were numbered as soon as I saw Fred Meyer heavily advertising it’s curbside pickup service

Those ads were pretty funny too because they just changed the branding on the regular Kroger ads and added stuff like “northwest fresh” to the ads but left all the imagery of people hiking in LA :)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Kreeblah posted:

My place isn't really a "tech company" per se (at least, not any more, after being acquired by a bigger company in a different industry), but we've been having regular layoffs and hiring freezes for years, and there's nobody left to cut. They're begrudgingly starting to hire this year since they're at pretty high risk of losing business because of being understaffed.

This is pretty much where I'm at with a telecom that's basically on impulse power after having gone through bankruptcy. Every quarter brings at least a few dozen layoffs in one department or another.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at with a telecom that's basically on impulse power after having gone through bankruptcy. Every quarter brings at least a few dozen layoffs in one department or another.

Yeah, that sounds about right for where I am. The super lovely part is that the company that bought us fired almost everybody who knew anything about how our poo poo worked, dumped our sales team (for a very complex B2B SaaS product that has a multi-year sales cycle) in favor of existing sales folks elsewhere, etc. Back when we were our own company, we were the market leader in what we did, and now, after a few years of mismanagement, we're struggling to even still be relevant.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

19 o'clock posted:

poo poo you just described what I’m about to do at my job

It turns out that threatening to quit then backing down only to come at them with an FMLA form worked for getting them to hire a temp at double the wage that they refused to pay multiple candidates.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

War and Pieces posted:

It turns out that threatening to quit then backing down only to come at them with an FMLA form worked for getting them to hire a temp at double the wage that they refused to pay multiple candidates.

...so nothing changed?

on my last day another employee got in a fight with the boss and walked out. word is offshoring work to India and the Philippines at this point. i hope it works out well for them.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

19 o'clock posted:

...so nothing changed?

on my last day another employee got in a fight with the boss and walked out. word is offshoring work to India and the Philippines at this point. i hope it works out well for them.

We went from minus -2 employees to -1 and I got moved from swingshift back to pm shift.

The boss is still filling in for the -1 by working midnights

FMLA was for "Shift Work Disorder" lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

drat i gotta remember this one

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

i guess authors can't edit post titles eh

Layoffs - Cost-cutting - C-level pokerface - Shift Work Disorder

real thing though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_work_sleep_disorder

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

War and Pieces posted:

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
one family member down in the spotify layoffs, gently caress me

he’d gotten the job less than 6 months ago whoopsy. hope the baby that’s due in a couple months isn’t a huge additional exp ahahaha

:smith:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

one family member down in the spotify layoffs, gently caress me

he’d gotten the job less than 6 months ago whoopsy. hope the baby that’s due in a couple months isn’t a huge additional exp ahahaha

:smith:
if he's computer touching, everyone says it's super easy to find another computer touching job and they're in super high demand. so he should be fine.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Xaris posted:

if he's computer touching, everyone says it's super easy to find another computer touching job and they're in super high demand. so he should be fine.

nope it’s not that even at all lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

nope it’s not that even at all lmao
oh, well, :rip: then

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

I been out of work since august although I didn’t really start applying until late October when I sorted my head out. I keep getting real close then rejected, and there are a lot of mass rejections these days due to hiring feeezes. Im not bad at computer. maybe xenophobia? idk it sucks.

btw today is the day of Saint Xenia of St Petersburg

quote:

Saint Xenia is especially invoked for help in finding employment, lodging, or a spouse

🙏 🤲 📿🛐🧎

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
at least he got his visa/immigration poo poo squared away although lol at being desirous of American citizenship in tyool 2023 can you imagine

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Oglethorpe posted:

wonder if this is retaliation for not sending leopard tanks
https://twitter.com/markets/status/1617578043207188480

It's because of American protectionism, the electric car stuff.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

I been out of work since august although I didn’t really start applying until late October when I sorted my head out. I keep getting real close then rejected, and there are a lot of mass rejections these days due to hiring feeezes. Im not bad at computer. maybe xenophobia? idk it sucks.

🙏 🤲 📿🛐🧎

I’ve been helping out with resume reviews for my team and tbh most of the generic “good at computer stuff” applicants go in the trash. There are probably 100 per week and unless they are explicitly differentiated for the job skill set there is zero chance they get a follow up. If I were you I would either tailor your resume for a specific niche or wait 4-6 months.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

My industry (aerospace) had it's big layoff cycle in 2022 and things are pretty stable right now. There's some talk of trying to pick up some laid off tech workers, but I don't know if there's enough of a hiring demand to follow through on that quickly.

Sorry to hear that layoffs are so widespread, I was only aware of the Google and Microsoft ones.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mawarannahr posted:

🙏 🤲 📿🛐🧎

I still have a job, but I've been trying to get a job somewhere else for almost three years now with no luck. I'm going for director-level roles, though, since that's the next logical step for me (and I do have the experience for it). My situation's kind of unusual, though, since there aren't a lot of positions I'd be a good match for opening up.

A friend of mine with a much more standard resume got laid off late last year and is still looking, though, and I know somebody else who's been doing software dev poo poo for decades who's been out of work for a month so far with no luck. Almost nobody's hiring right now.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

Better be a senior level full stack developer with 10 years experience and a bachelors in computer science that knows jquery, angular, typescript, react, vue, python, php, java, rest, graphql, mysql, postgres, swift, etc.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 07:07 on Jan 25, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Found some exciting opportunities

https://twitter.com/workwithusaid/status/1618677895727308801
https://twitter.com/usaidoti/status/1618640054418657282

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

mawarannahr posted:

🙏 🤲 📿🛐🧎

good luck goon

I'm current computer touching at a small (~80 FTE) nonprofit, and we're still hiring like gangbusters for frontline staff* and we've been around for a very long time. I loving hate the people I work with but the job is super easy, pays well, and has good benefits. I'm going to sniff around for nonprofit tech jobs because working with these people is going to drive me batty

* decent pay in the low-mid 20s, but the work is emotionally draining and pretty intense. basically connecting people to benefits and helping them get SNAP and medicaid

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

tokin opposition posted:

I'm going to sniff around for nonprofit tech jobs because working with these people is going to drive me batty

you should look for town/county/regional computer touching jobs. they get overlooked for all the big figgy FAAANG vc unicorn startup bonaza, but they're super chill and pay well. look for like school system, mayor's office, public works, water agency, sewer, local department of transportation, county public works/office of emergency services/fire department/etc kinda thing.

usually also are unionized

i work for a public agency and it whips rear end. union + big pension + strict hard cap 40-hour work weeks + 3 day weekends every other week

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
have to +++ the above. Local government was how i got into computer touching and there was a wide breadth of poo poo to learn + they had dedicated training budgets for employees to I learned a bunch of poo poo super well and got paid... ok. The benefits were incredible.

the non profit tech jobs i've had were easily the worst because they had just the worst management and pay possible with the holier than thou attitudes about everything. There's this sense that they are totally allowed to abuse employees because they wont leave because THE MISSION!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I've never heard nonprofits be described as anything but absolutely terrible to work for

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

I've never heard nonprofits be described as anything but absolutely terrible to work for

literal same

except from communications majors who work in lucrative PR jobs who got their start at nonprofits

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
my wife works at one and she said it taught her the phrase toxic positivity.
her favorite part is working at a feminist, decolonizing, anti-white supremacist organization that got Real Big Mad and corporate as hell when the employees started talking about unionizing.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
We spend 12k a year on Real Rent.

We got a 5% cost of living increase this month.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

You just need to put in your 12 years in Nonprofits then all your student debt is forgiven and you'll have outlasted all your rivals who don't have generational wealth. Then the directorship and the 75K salary that comes with it is yours for the taking.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
the Econ thread became enjoyable now that there isn’t weekly talks of 60k+ SUVs and constant updates on housing markets in america

here’s hoping there’s way more tech layoffs!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

skipmyseashells posted:

the Econ thread became enjoyable now that there isn’t weekly talks of 60k+ SUVs and constant updates on housing markets in america

Mayor Dave posted:

Fertilizer shortage is real

this thread isn't just about tech

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

It's wild how those extremely fraud-prone cryptocurrencies are frequently subject to the exact same kind of fraud, I can't believe the bad actors would do this.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

skipmyseashells posted:

it's been very satisfying to see the day in the life of techbro tiktok economy get decimated

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

at Daytona you have your pick of the seats more or less so we got right down by turn 1 for the start and it’s visceral as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Oglethorpe posted:

this thread isn't just about tech

has europe tried deindustrializing more yet