Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Gamerofthegame posted:

jean's skill just doubles growth rates, but the monk rates blow

xp is also a little harder to come by so villager gimmick is rougher

If you throw Tiki on him, is that doubled too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Augus posted:

the tiki paralogue wasn't as bad as people made it sound (on hard at least) but I did it after chapter 9 so my guys were at a good level for it. it did take 25 turns, though. the dragons were manageable by just using my high-HP units as bait to lure them out and then shooting them down with longbows, wind magic, and engage specials. once the reinforcements start coming in it gets a bit dangerous but I just designated a group to stay in the middle and play meatgrinder while the rest of my army hauled rear end to kill Tiki as quick as possible by trapping her in the hallway and using a bunch of engage skills.

I did it ASAP and it was really balls the wall, but probably my favorite map so far. My favorite rewind from the chapter is going back a turn to do nothing because I needed the Mage to stay put so Clanne could Warp Ragnarok into the Silver Card area.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah jean's skill doubles class growths, specifically, so you want to stick him in a class with good growths. martial monk has no class growth in speed and only a 10% str growth so he doesnt get much from it. in his base class his growths are

HP: 50%
STR: 40%
MAG: 70%
DEX: 35%
SPD: 50%
DEF: 45%
RES: 70%
LCK: 45%
BLD: 5%

the magic growth is impressive but hes pretty eh otherwise. if you want him to be good there's two tier 1 classes that stick out to me in terms of growths - cav and thief.

HP: 60%
MAG: 20%
DEX: 75%
SPD: 70%
DEF: 55%
RES: 30%
LCK: 55%

And Cav has a 10% growth in literally everything, which'd be just 20% extra in everything and make all his growths a 45% minimum.

Axe Fighter also seems like it'd be good - it'd give him a 60% strength growth, a 65% speed growth, and a 35% defense growth, plus a 15% build growth.

In general Jean's gimmick isn't super high growths,' it's that he's more influenced by his class than anyone else. But his base growths all suck except speed, so you need to find a class that patches up his holes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does killer axe have higher crit than Wo Dao, cause I see that Panne has good speed if I reclass her to swordmaster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Does killer axe have higher crit than Wo Dao, cause I see that Panne has good speed if I reclass her to swordmaster.
Wo Dao only has 20 crit, but killing edge has 30 like a killer axe. I think Wo Dao's deal is being more accurate than killer weapons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's also only 7 Wt to the Killing Edge's 10 which actually matters on a unit like Lapis unless you give her a build up skill.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

yeah jean's skill doubles class growths, specifically, so you want to stick him in a class with good growths. martial monk has no class growth in speed and only a 10% str growth so he doesnt get much from it. in his base class his growths are

HP: 50%
MAG: 70%
DEX: 35%
SPD: 50%
DEF: 45%
RES: 70%
LCK: 45%

the magic growth is impressive but hes pretty eh otherwise. if you want him to be good there's two tier 1 classes that stick out to me in terms of growths - cav and thief.

HP: 60%
MAG: 20%
DEX: 75%
SPD: 70%
DEF: 55%
RES: 30%
LCK: 55%

And Cav has a 10% growth in literally everything, which'd be just 20% extra in everything and make all his growths a 45% minimum.

Axe Fighter also seems like it'd be good - it'd give him a 60% strength growth, a 65% speed growth, and a 35% defense growth, plus a 15% build growth.

In general Jean's gimmick isn't super high growths,' it's that he's more influenced by his class than anyone else. But his base growths all suck except speed, so you need to find a class that patches up his holes.

In my case the problem is that he's got 7 levels before I get even one (1) Second Seal. He's got higher stats than Framme for me so I might just keep him monk anyway, but that got in my way of my original Lance Fighter plans. :(

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
I don't know if the gold and silver skirmishes are supposed to be more difficult than normal ones, but they've been quite a challenge on hard/classic, not to mention a nice change of pace. Storyline maps tend to involve pushing towards an objective, while skirmish maps involve the entire map pushing towards you, requiring you to hold positions and carefully retreat when overwhelmed. I probably end up using more rewinds on skirmishes than I do in story maps

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
skirmish maps are just in general vicious, as they level aggressively with the story in a way that you do not, so everything hits harder

the enemy roster also always follows a gimmick with a few exceptions, and it turns out everyone thinks they're mr incredible until 20 pegasus knights all higher level then you show up

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Kagetsu and Boucheron, sitting in a tree, quizzing.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I turned Alfred into an axe fighter because Céline kept calling him a barbarian.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Man the level curve in this game feels really hosed. So many of my characters that I've lovingly included in missions from their first appearance are like 3-4 levels behind people who join new. And it's not like they're not doing anything. I've been actively spending every action to get experience as much as possible.

Oh and they're walking in with 1500 SP now.

That's nuts. I could only get that much on like three Micaiah farmers. The most I have elsewhere is like 1k, but everyone else is hovering closer to 800.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 25, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Holy poo poo I'm tearing my hair out at Chapter 5 on hard, there's three more archers than there really needs to be and everyone except for Louis is made of loving tissue paper.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Holy poo poo I'm tearing my hair out at Chapter 5 on hard, there's three more archers than there really needs to be and everyone except for Louis is made of loving tissue paper.
Louis with a Javelin is unstoppable, although I have also managed to turn Etie into an evasion tank with the Three Houses idiot squad.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
When is the Tiki Paralogue supposed to appear? I just finished chapter 7 and it still hasn’t unlocked.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Give Louis a javelin and march him into the archers. Use the javelin as your main weapon when you attack people, so it'll be equipped and he'll be able to counterattack archers. The problem will resolve itself.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Jade took me cramming my skill wings into her, but reclassing her into warrior is starting to pay off now. She still hasn't really gained str but hitting dex, def, and speed on almost every level is very good. Panette is probably better but I'm not into her aesthetic. Sadly for as much as I like their characters Lapis and Citrinne aren't paying off as much as I thought they would, my poor Lapis is basically useless, and while Citrinne is doing okay, Ivy exists. In Lapis's case even if she was doing good, Kagetsu exists and he's one of the most busted prepromotes you just get handed with insane stats. Even worse they don't keep their cool unique outfits when they promote so fashion wise you lose the best reason to use Lapis and Citrinne.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

For the first time since they added in reversing time I have failed a chapter.

Goddamn chapter 17 does not mess around. I know where I screwed up but still drat.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Hellioning posted:

Goddamn chapter 17 does not mess around. I know where I screwed up but still drat.

I felt overleveled for it when I attempted it but it was still really tough cause the enemies come at you in waves. Using corrin to block terrain came in clutch in this one.

Edit: I also didnt expect Sacae to be pronounced Sack-ae.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 25, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hellioning posted:

The Hound who opens up by having Roy Blazing Lion you, followed by all the dudes around her rushing in to mop up was the most brutal part of that chapter. Particularly since Roy gives her TWO ENDURES, one for each health bar, so you have to land four killing blows for her to finally go down. Took me some real shenanigans to figure that one out.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sydin posted:

The Hound who opens up by having Roy Blazing Lion you, followed by all the dudes around her rushing in to mop up was the most brutal part of that chapter. Particularly since Roy gives her TWO ENDURES, one for each health bar, so you have to land four killing blows for her to finally go down. Took me some real shenanigans to figure that one out.

Honestly I found that part easy, or at least it would have been if I didn't screw it up. I just used Lyn's doubles to tank the blazing lion. I'm just an idiot and decided that a bunch of heroes and swordmasters with armorslayers would work against a bunch of axe armors. Which, I mean, kind of? But throwing a mage would have been simpler.

I think I just screwed up by activating another enemy pack too early. I was fighting 3 bosses at once, plus their mooks. That was never going to work, especially when two of those are hyper-accurate magic users and the third has their emblem bullshit to use.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 25, 2023

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Sticking Anna on Mage Knight has been working well for me. Extra movement is very appreciated and she has a tendency of annihilating any enemies that get in her way. Her passive is also helpful in making money.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hellioning posted:

Honestly I found that part easy, or at least it would have been if I didn't screw it up. I just used Lyn's doubles to tank the blazing lion. I'm just an idiot and decided that a bunch of heroes and swordmasters with armorslayers would work against a bunch of axe armors. Which, I mean, kind of? But throwing a mage would have been simpler.

I think I just screwed up by activating another enemy pack too early. I was fighting 3 bosses at once, plus their mooks. That was never going to work, especially when two of those are hyper-accurate magic users and the third has their emblem bullshit to use.

There you go, that was the only part of the chapter that really tripped me up. All the other generals I was able to lure and pick off one by one away from their mooks fairly easily. I got a particular chuckle from the one guy engaged with Celica who did the exact same thing I did the first time I got her and warp ragnaroked across the planet directly into a ball of enemies with no follow up plan, resulting in immediately getting murked. :allears:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Okay the chapter 22 twist was one I genuinely did not see coming. Good job, Engage, you managed to surprise me.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Stick Anna in Mage Knight so that you have an excuse to give her Byleth, since no one else wants the +Luck and more money means more forges. Then she can focus on Goddess Dance and hitting things so she can get money and recharge Goddess Dance. Other people can do the staving.

Lyn's ring having a snowball mechanic is fun. Panette's particularly fun with it, since she's good at stomping generics with crit fishing but she's not doubling bosses even as a Wolf Knight, and she gets a lot of use out of the Mani Katti against armors. I was using Lyn's ring on Etie for a bit, but she's probably the best user of Lucina's.

Haven't really been using Tiki's Bracelet except as a Hail Mary to try and save underperformers. I should probably stop using the Three Houses Bracelet on Chloe, because Engaging into Super Kinshi Knight snaps the difficulty of the game in half, but in my defense it's also very very funny.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Do we know Tikis boost to stat growths yet? I can't keep her in good conscience on Alear because it's absolutely disgusting. At this point Its probably best to stick her on that "kind of bad unit you really like".

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Vander is cool. How do I make his useless 1 exp gain rear end useful

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tired Moritz posted:

His stats are never going to catch up so making him a staffbot Griffin Knight with one of the Chapter 8 Second Seals I think is the best way to keep him "relevant". He can also still do some chip damage with a Hand Axe or an effective weapon, but he's never going to be a great combat unit.

He kind of has an advantage in that he starts out promoted, and so he's one of the better Second Seal targets in the early game, though as more units join and more Master Seals become available he's inevitably going to fall off still

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FrickenMoron posted:

Do we know Tikis boost to stat growths yet? I can't keep her in good conscience on Alear because it's absolutely disgusting. At this point Its probably best to stick her on that "kind of bad unit you really like".

According to Serenesforest, it's +15% across the board.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

According to Serenesforest, it's +15% across the board.

Yeah no wonder I've been gaining at least 4-5 stats every single levelup with her. It's really a bit too much. Wonder which Emblem people like to run on Alear usually then. Byleth seems like a safe choice for the massive stat boost during engage for everyone.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tired Moritz posted:

Re-class him into a healbot but that's about it, as blizzardvizard said Griffin Knight is a good choice for him. Vander is an honest to god Jeigan who can help with big hits and tanking for the first 5-6 chapters but falls off pretty hard after that with no real room to recover. Hell he doesn't even get the starting silver weapon the archetype usually does so his damage isn't even all that good past like the very early opening chapters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I booted up Engage just to check it out (though I'm going to finish Three Houses before going further into it) and immediately noticed that JP male Alear is Rex from Xenoblade 2, with an almost identical way of talking.

They also seem to have dramatically upgraded the combat animations. I think someone earlier in this thread posted an interview saying something about Three Houses being limited due to the battalion stuff. Either way, it's an extremely noticeable upgrade.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Okay the chapter 22 twist was one I genuinely did not see coming. Good job, Engage, you managed to surprise me.

I just did that chapter myself

this game is so dang good

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The combat animations are quite good, much closer now to the cool animated sprites of the gba games (although I still kind of miss the chain-fired weapons on generals, as silly as it was)

I actually like using Lucina on Alear and prefer to dump Byleth over to Hortensia.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I love Goldmary, she's like if Mercedes was insanely passive agressive and just shat on people while still keeping her breathy cutsey voice.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Goldmary is amazing. I also wish you could set up Arena matches manually so you can get supports from them instead of it being rng. It gives a lot of points when you get a support matchup.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I want to love Etie but the woman is glacially slow for me. She can chunk anything, but cannot double.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Quote is not edit.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
So I'm on chapter 13 and my Anna, Chloe and Lapis have all rolled 7 Def, my Etie has rolled 5 Def and my Citrinne has rolled 3 Def - they are basically all getting one shot by most enemies now. They are around the level 12-13 mark (so according to the mission guidance, like 2 levels underleveled) and I've been trying to cycle the weaker units into battle however they're basically getting no exp any more because I need to set up turns for them to even start getting exp. I kinda hate benching characters, but is there any way to salvage them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Feed em some kills in skirmishes but you're gonna need to bench people eventually so might as well start now imo